PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Connectivity for XBOX...TODAY!

Hugh_Jass
03-12-2002, 08:07 AM
It isn't a cheap solution but it may be worth it to you if you don't have an Ethernet port near your XBOX, don't want to run wiring through your walls, and don't want to string wires across your floor. This device will connect any device with an RJ-45 port to your wireless network.

It's a bargain at $385.82. :D

Here is the vendor link:
http://www.proxim.com/products/all/rangelan2/7920/

Here is where you can buy one:
http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-11635-311-402444-3.html?fl=0&tag=st.sh.11635-311-402444.sort.price

FuNkY mOnK
03-12-2002, 08:13 AM
If you think 56k is slow ,wait till you try wireless. Not good for the speed demon.

Nato King
03-12-2002, 08:15 AM
It sounds good. A wireless Internet connectivity for the Xbox. What would they think of next? Thanks for bring this to our attention Hugh_Jass.
Nice thread:)

JJaX
03-12-2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
If you think 56k is slow ,wait till you try wireless. Not good for the speed demon.

Really? I would think that a wireless ethernet would perform great. I dont know, I just thought anything and everything was faster then dial up :D

FuNkY mOnK
03-12-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Really? I would think that a wireless ethernet would perform great. I dont know, I just thought anything and everything was faster then dial up :D
This is how it goes from fast to slow, as far as gaming goes:
1 lightning from the heavens
2 optic fiber
3 laser line
4 cable
5 broadband
6 narrowband
7 wireless

FuNkY mOnK
03-12-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Serg_w
It sounds good. A wireless Internet connectivity for the Xbox. What would they think of next? Thanks for bring this to our attention Hugh_Jass.
Nice thread:)
If you were on a wireless connection playing halo, and my xbox on a broadband, I would have fraged you a hundred times before you pulled the trigger once. I didn’t check out the link huge_jass provided us with, but I’ll tell you this, wireless will never be good for gaming not in our lifetime.

Hugh_Jass
03-12-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

I think you are misinformed.

from the vendor's site:

1.6 Mbps per channel, 8000 Kbps fallback rate

The slowest it will operate is 8000Kbps.
8000Kbps vs 56Kbps...I think the winner is clear in this category.

My cable modem only gets me 1.5Mbps, which is slower than the max of this device. I think you'd do just fine with one of these connections.

l Maximus l
03-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Wireless is the way of the future. I guess IBM and several other companies are working on making computers that will rid of the "spider web" of wires even behind computers. Virtually, everything will be wireless...keyboard, mouse, monitor, CPU, everthing....just takes time, competition...and, oh yeah...demand :D

Thanks for the link, Hugh...though, I don't think I will be getting one soon...but, this is great to know and is very encouraging as I am extremely excited about what wireless technology is going to do for us in the future! It's going to be HUGE!

JJaX
03-12-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

I think you are misinformed.

from the vendor's site:

The slowest it will operate is 8000Kbps.
8000Kbps vs 56Kbps...I think the winner is clear in this category.

My cable modem only gets me 1.5Mbps, which is slowest than the max of this device. I think you'd do just fine with one of these connections.

Yeah when it comes to tech stuff like this Im gonna have to trust Hugh_jass.

-WorldSpawn-
03-12-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
Wireless is the way of the future. I guess IBM and several other companies are working on making computers that will rid of the "spider web" of wires even behind computers. Virtually, everything will be wireless...keyboard, mouse, monitor, CPU, everthing....just takes time, competition...and, oh yeah...demand :D

Thanks for the link, Hugh...though, I don't think I will be getting one soon...but, this is great to know and is very encouraging as I am extremely excited about what wireless technology is going to do for us in the future! It's going to be HUGE!

All these wireless signals floating around are going to start messing with peoples heads ;)

Hugh_Jass
03-12-2002, 12:40 PM
I think wired technology will always be a few steps ahead of wireless technology when it comes to throughput. However, there are many applications that don't require fat pipes to be successful. With the Moxi Media Center supporting up to three simultaneous DVD-quality video feeds via wireless connections we've got adequate proof that consumer wireless has finally come of age.

JJaX
03-12-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
I think wired technology will always be a few steps ahead of wireless technology when it comes to throughput. However, there are many applications that don't require fat pipes to be successful. With the Moxi Media Center supporting up to three simultaneous DVD-quality video feeds via wireless connections we've got adequate proof that consumer wireless has finally come of age.

YEAH! WHAT HE SAID!

LynxFX
03-12-2002, 01:09 PM
I use a wireless lan connection at work. I can walk around anywhere in my office and just carry around my laptop and I'm still plugged into our T3. Works like a champ.

This isn't the same as wireless internet where it is just dialing out using something similar to a cell phone. Different technology and in your home it would kick ass.

Nice find Hugh_Jass. Just too rich for my blood right now.

FuNkY mOnK
03-12-2002, 01:25 PM
Huge_jass thanks for the info but seriously no gaming will ever take place over wireless connectivity it’s impossible for proper ping time. Here’s an example I go through with my wife, I take digital photos from my camera to my laptop via usb now my wife wants it on her laptop, if my cable is not in reach, I transfer an image less than 1 meg via wireless between both laptops and takes almost 15 minuets vs. serial cable which takes 20 seconds. The site you provided mentions nothing of gaming because it’s ridiculous to even think that this would work for gaming. Optic fiber is the future for instantaneous data transfer.

l Maximus l
03-12-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
I use a wireless lan connection at work. I can walk around anywhere in my office and just carry around my laptop and I'm still plugged into our T3. Works like a champ.

This isn't the same as wireless internet where it is just dialing out using something similar to a cell phone. Different technology and in your home it would kick ass.

Nice find Hugh_Jass. Just too rich for my blood right now.

Are you talking about something similar to a Ricochet modem?

LynxFX
03-12-2002, 01:42 PM
Yeah Maximus. We are experimenting with a new system though. Not even sure what the hardware is yet. But it supports full 100MB. I'm curious to see how it works because it would give off a signal with a 2 mile radius which would allow me to work from home since I only live a mile away.

I think Funky monk is still hooked on old technology. Latency times with new wireless technology isn't like what it used to be. Of course you need to buy the good stuff.

l Maximus l
03-12-2002, 01:47 PM
I agree...think about LMDS (Local Multi-Point Distribution System) with it's fixed-broadband wirless technology. I mean, even this microwave technology has available frequency band at 39 ghz! Not too shabby :D

FuNkY mOnK
03-12-2002, 05:48 PM
I’m all for new technology. But unless the programs are specifically written to take advantage of the technology it’s not going to happen with the xbox, meaning like bar code reading with laser light. There’s no way wireless can push halo with multiple players on a satisfactory level. If anyone can prove other wise I’ll be first in line. And please, the word gaming and wireless have to be in the same sentence on a positive note.

LynxFX
03-12-2002, 07:10 PM
The programs do not have to be specifically written to take advantage of one broadband connection over another. And yes I'm considering this wireless technology discussed in this thread as broadband because it is taking the same RJ45 feeds. The app doesn't care what it is using, it is just sending 1's and 0's. Halo is a bad example to use for online gaming since it wasn't built for that in the first place. It was made for system link play which would have full throughput on the cable versus going through a broadband connection online which is why we have lag in games with just 4 people. It wasn't optimised for that kind of play. So just forget about Halo for minute.

I believe it has already been proven that wireless lan solutions can support gaming just fine. Read back a few threads with Hugh_Jass talking about the Moxi Media Center. Then look at what the speed cap is on the wireless tech a few posts before that.

Setup a wireless lan and see for yourself. No point in trying convince you otherwise.

FuNkY mOnK
03-12-2002, 07:26 PM
They had this subject on tech TV screen savers, where this guy ask the same questions and wireless was laughed at compared to broadband cable, and that night one of these hotshot quake champion player called in the show and backed it up that wireless was useless for gaming. Hey, I hope differently, I would love wireless. And btw this show aired not to long ago.

Toder
03-12-2002, 07:28 PM
How many of yall have tried playing a game over the wireless internet? From my experiences with satellite modem which should be simular to wireless. Its not gonna work. the time it takes to reach the server floating over the airways is not gonna be as fast as a fiber optic cable traveling the speed of light. the only good wireless is good for is transfering large data not small amounts like it takes to play a game.

FuNkY mOnK
03-12-2002, 07:38 PM
I haven’t tried gaming, but I’ve seen other wireless action like airport and believe me I couldn’t wait to get back to cable. Wireless is for the casual yuppie, not the hardcore gamer.

Hugh_Jass
03-12-2002, 07:40 PM
Satellite is completely different from 802.11b. We're talking different frequencies and VASTLY different distances.

I will concede that wireless may not be as good as wired when it comes to ping times. However, the differences are minimal (2-5ms) using 802.11b.

Dre
03-12-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Toder
How many of yall have tried playing a game over the wireless internet? From my experiences with satellite modem which should be simular to wireless. Its not gonna work. the time it takes to reach the server floating over the airways is not gonna be as fast as a fiber optic cable traveling the speed of light. the only good wireless is good for is transfering large data not small amounts like it takes to play a game.

Without spitting all the equations at you guys, it should be fairly obvious that wireless connectivity vs. satellite isn't the same ballpark due to distance required to travel. The whole thing with wireless (for home-networking purposes) is that you'll still have the modem with a physical connection leaving from your house, however you will be communicating with that modem via wireless methods. The transfer speed is directly proportional to the distance to the reciever (i.e. the farther you are from the reciever, the longer the transfer time).

We have to note the appearance of the Bluetooth protocol as well, this is IMHO the future of wireless networking. Around 4 months ago a company in Manchester, UK developed a wireless network communicating at speeds of 384Kbs at distances of 100m. Click here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/22583.html) for more info.

We should be seeing speeds such as these continually increase as the technology matures. I believe I'll wait another yr or two before actually purchasing technology like this, but its gonna be so cool when I can get rid of the maze of wires behind, underneath and all around my desk! ;)

Toder
03-12-2002, 08:08 PM
I know Satellit and wireless are not the same, but my point is that is not going to be faster than fiber optic. But with these home networks wireless may be a way to go, but right now i think its just a waist of money. Sene it doesn't take much money to setup a network with cat5 cable.

Hugh_Jass
03-12-2002, 09:54 PM
I don't think too many people are using fibre optic cables for their home LANs.

E Nomini Patri
03-12-2002, 10:05 PM
We have fiber and I can't play any games online because it won't let me join! What's the deal with that?