PDA

View Full Version : GunValkyrie is coming!

linkycat
03-12-2002, 10:53 AM
I've been talking to some people who aren't excited about this game... I just don't understand it! When have Sega and Smilebit let us down?!?!

I don't care if you think the control scheme is tricky to master, that is what games are about man! Learn to master what you are given and then kick some arse. I guess I need to see it to believe this game isn't worth owning. I've followed it since it's conception and it's always really intrigued me.

I can't wait, what do you guys think about it?

studepaber
03-13-2002, 04:50 PM
I've pre-ordered it, me thinks it comes out the 20th, yay. I think the game will be awesome (lotsa enemies on-screen at once), as far as the controls go the people that complained about em are prolly the same people that complained that the xbox controller is too big and awkward. I first thought this game would be the Metroid Prime killer, but now I've sort of changed my mind about that, but I still think this one will easily be one of the best top 5 games for the xbox.

NomadLLama
03-16-2002, 11:11 AM
hmmmm..... I saw a review for this game in the official xbox magazine. they gave it i think an 8.2. they say it gets really hard and that also u can play as two people. the other, besides that girl that you see in all of the ads, is one guy that is slow but stronger. I just hope that this game is as good as Halo. or at least close.

DT21
03-16-2002, 12:44 PM
Gonna rent this one first before buying, heard some bad stuff about how hard the controls are.

linkycat
03-16-2002, 11:38 PM
From IGN.com:

March 15, 2002 - The first thing you need to know about the Smilebit developed, Sega published action title known as GUNVALKYRIE is that it's difficult. It's throw-your-controller-across-the-room-in-frustration difficult. It'll make you curse out loud to the gaming gods, vainly imploring them to give you a freakin' break. It'll be the game, if any, that will wear out the buttons and sticks of your Xbox controller way before its time.

And you'll love it.

:::::::AND:::::

Closing Comments
I have a deep appreciation for GUNVALKYRIE in the same way that a boxer respects an opponent that he just KO'd in the 12th round. It's about respect. It's a game that will test your skill as a gamer because it's so unforgiving and requires you to learn its deep and sophisticated philosophies. If you come into GV thinking you know how to handle it, you'll spend a lot of time spinning your wheels playing the same levels over and over again. I like how GUNVALKYRIE smacks you down time and time again if you don't learn the proper techniques that it's trying to teach you and then perfect them. That's immersion in a game at its finest.
Also, I don't know what Metroid Prime on GameCube is going to be when all is said and done, but GUNVALKYRIE brings an awful lot of what made the old NES and SNES Metroid games fun into this 21st century Xbox adventure.

I don't want to be overly critical of GUNVALKYRIE's steep learning curve because all of the answers are right there in front of you, somewhere, while you're playing and it all makes sense once you get the hang of it. But, in fact, that is the game's one shortcoming: just an overall feeling of making things difficult for you. Even though it's done on purpose and with good reason, I can easily see how this can turn off many gamers these days. With so many easy choices out there and so many instant gratification games on all systems, gamers have no reason to bang their heads against this Xbox game.

But, kiddies, I say think about how Super Mario Bros, with its truly sketchy control on the NES and the tons of hidden stuff not even hinted at in the manual kept us in front of the TV for hours on end, determined to finish "just this next part." GUNVALKYRIE doesn't compare to SMB in anyway, except they both present the same kind of challenge to our competitive natures. You're going to keep playing because you know Smilebit put the work into this game to make it challenging and you'll be ****ed if you're going to let them get the best of you. Give it a rent please and see if you're up to the challenge.

For the rest of you out there, go pick up this outstanding Xbox game.

:::::::::::AND:::::::::

Presentation
It's in 1906 and there are colonists and giant bugs on other planets! Great backstory and awesome immersion in a parallel universe. 9.0

Graphics
Extremely polished textures and superb animations make this game look and move like nothing else. The style is consistent throughout. Not a hiccup in the framerate. 10.0

Sound
Effective use of directional sound but the sound effects themselves aren't as horrifying as we would've liked. 8.0
Gameplay

Re-invents the premise of blasting aliens/bugs with outstanding innovation. The steep learning curve doesn't take away from pure fun once you get the hang of it. 9.0

Lasting Appeal
As deep and engaging as a single player game can be. Any game that measures how many times you've cleared it has strong replay value. 8.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.0

::::::::::::::::::::::

I'm really looking forward to it.

NomadLLama
03-17-2002, 04:39 PM
hey linkycat, I hope that it is not that hard as u described. i don't wanna kill my controller or yell. I have done that too many times...

GRAVEDIGGER
03-18-2002, 10:11 AM
Well, i cant say that i'm the least bit interested in this game, at first glance it strikes me as not so Graphically advanced, as far as i've seen from the OXM disc, and it looks too congested!

But i'll give it a rental to see what the deal is:cool:

Untill next time, the GRAVEDIGGER has spoken:mad: