PDA

View Full Version : CryEnginge 3 v.s. Unreal

Symmetric-XBA
04-15-2010, 02:38 PM
With the announcement of GoW 3 and Crysis 2 this is going to be the time where the graphics of our games are going to evolve into the next stage. The Unreal engine has been a time tested ace in the hole for any developer who wishes to bring forth amazing graphics to their title. The CryEngine 3 hasn't been around as long as the Unreal engine, however, it is on point to give (and possibly unseat) the Unreal engine a run for its money. One of the big differences that I can see that will rule in the CryEngine 3 favor is that its free. Let me say that again, the CryEngine 3 is FREE. Epic is (maybe was, I haven't checked on it in a while) hosting a contest where the grand prize is a free Unreal license which is absolutly huge, esp. if you are an independant company looking to break through the competition.

Now the "64 million dollar" question: What gaming engine would you prefer to see utilized by future titles?

Me personally, I'd like to see the CryEngine 3 take off like a rocket. I feel it provides a much cleaner look and can bring gamers a better graphical experience. Imagine a game such as Ace Combat, or what about a racing game like Forza? The possiblities are endless for this engine and since its free, that alone will hopefully make developers drool over this type of technology.

Just my opinion though, what do you guys think??

wicked_d365
04-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Like my Xbox motto says, "Gameplay > Graphics"

Sure a game can look amazing, but it can still have garbage mechanics, or a weak story.

Yes, the Unreal engine is a little on the dated side, but they are always coming up with new additions and ways to make it look and play better. Go back and look at Gears 1, the Unreal 3, then Gears 2. You will see a huge difference between the three with all sorts of new additions to the newer ones.

I personally like both systems, I just like the Unreal because it's used in more games and is familiar. Gears 1 & 2, Unreal, Batman:Arkham Asylum, Shadow Complex, The Rainbow Six Vegas Series, Borderland, Bioshock 1 & 2, ect..
Those are some huge games that play extremely well and look very nice, not to mention the huge list of games in the works on this engine.

Steeps5
04-15-2010, 04:07 PM
What games use CryEngine 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wicked_d365
04-15-2010, 04:28 PM
What games use CryEngine 3?

The Crysis and Far Cry series.

SamSmith
04-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Far Cry no longer uses the Cry Engine, I'm fairly sure. No longer a Crytek game.

Steeps5
04-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Far Cry no longer uses the Cry Engine, I'm fairly sure. No longer a Crytek game.
Yeah I just looked at the box for Far Cry 2 and it says Havok engine.

I'm not really understanding the whole modern argument seeing as Crysis came out in 2007. Not that new in my opinion.

Symmetric-XBA
04-15-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm not really understanding the whole modern argument seeing as Crysis came out in 2007. Not that new in my opinion.

The engine that was used in Crysis was the CryEngine 2. Since 2007 they have tweaked, improved and basically overhauled the engine to make the CryEngine 3 which is what we see now on Crysis 2.

Steeps5
04-16-2010, 07:55 AM
The engine that was used in Crysis was the CryEngine 2. Since 2007 they have tweaked, improved and basically overhauled the engine to make the CryEngine 3 which is what we see now on Crysis 2.

Ohhh ok. Definitely new then.

I gotta say Crysis is an awesome game, it's fun to play and looks amazing. The best mechanic to the game was the Nanosuit where you could change the settings (or whatever it's called) of the suit for better speed, strength, stealth, or armor. The weapon customization was pretty cool too with how it was in the battle changes. Can't wait for the second one but I kinda doubt a Core i5 (2.93 MHz turbo), Radeon HD 4670 (1 GB), 4 GB memory, and 500 GB HDD could run it that well. Dang =P

wicked_d365
04-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Unreal is on version 3 itself.
The first version was used from 1998-2003, v2 was used between 2002 and is still being used in some places. Splinter Cell:Conviction was done on v2.5.
Version 3 has been used since 2007 - now.

SamSmith
04-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Here's a video of me playing Crysis warhead at absolute max settings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frqDnywZNFs

It was the first time I had played it - so forgive me for being so shockingly bad.

Justin Bailey
04-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Yeah I just looked at the box for Far Cry 2 and it says Havok engine.

Crysis is STILL the benchmark for graphics on PC's. That's how far ahead of the curve it is. The new Cry engine is basically a tweaked version that they can scale better for consoles to take advantage of. Believe me when I say that NOTHING matches Crysis at even mid-high settings on PC's. Personally I am very excited to see what the new cretek engine can accomplish on consoles :cool: