PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach Beta Prep on ODST Disc

Vampero
04-29-2010, 04:42 PM
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22485/Halo-Reach-Beta-Prep-on-ODST-Disc/

Still have your Halo: ODST disc handy? Of course you do, because you want to play the Halo: Reach beta on Monday.

Starting today, there is a new beta introduction video starring Aisha Tyler available via your ODST game disc:

"[Aisha] Tyler walks through all of the exciting new game modes and offers her own tips and insider hints for each of the maps while showing off some life-size “Halo” weaponry. It’s a fun introduction to the beta that no fan should miss."

If you pop in the disc it should be available in the extras menu. Otherwise it'll be all over the internet starting May 3rd, the first week of your sick leave from school/work/life.

And just by playing a full game in the beta, you'll snag a Reach Hoodie for your Xbox avatar too. Not a bad little bonus for virtual clothes that generally cost money.

Here's a bit more on the beta itself:

"The “Halo: Reach” multiplayer beta is set to be the definitive Xbox LIVE event of the spring and will run from May 3 through May 19. The beta will be accessible via the “Halo 3: ODST” game disc (an Xbox LIVE Gold membership and Internet connection are required to play). The beta will offer millions of “Halo” fans a unique opportunity to test and help refine the biggest blockbuster game of 2010."

Wouldn't Beyonce be a better Halo advocate? Hey-o!

wicked_d365
04-29-2010, 07:03 PM
The video is on the main menu and you have to download it. It's cool. She explains everything well. I wish I would have watched this first.

I am playing the beta right now and it's fun. Headhunter is fun and crazy. Buttons have changed a little, melee is now RB. Took me forever to figure that out.
The loadouts are cool. It's like Battlefield. You have diffrent classes with different powers for a small amount of time and must recharge after use. Scout let's you sprint, guard let's you overshield, airborne let's you you the jetpack, and stalker let's you go invisable.
Graphics are very nice. Much better than Halo 3. Sound is very good, sounds like Halo.

I have only been playin for about an hour and I ready hate the jetpack. Total noob kit.

oddjob428
04-30-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm looking forward to this beta, have they announced a release date for the full game yet?

wicked_d365
04-30-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm looking forward to this beta, have they announced a release date for the full game yet?

I think they are shooting for Sept. 1st.

I played the other gametypes last night and had some fun.

As I said before, headhunter is my favorite. It's like Capture the Flag. You kill people, collect their skulls, but you have to capture them at certain spots that move around the level.

Slayer Pro is another favorite of mine. You only get 2 classes to pick from, marksman and novice. Marksman gives you the new DMR and novice gives you the new Needler Rifle. Both are fun, but I enjoy the DMR more.

Then there is Stockpile. Like Aisha said in the video it's "capture the flag on steroids". You and your team must collect flags scatterd all over the map. The catch is that you don't get points as soon as you get them to your base, the captureing happens at different times throughout the game.

Oddbal is alot of fun because it just gets chaotic with everyone running at the ball.

Dan 140
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
how are some people playing it already

Vampero
04-30-2010, 03:27 PM
how are some people playing it already code are getting posted all over the net.

Steeps5
04-30-2010, 04:30 PM
code are getting posted all over the net.
Well if you signed up at Microsoft Expert Center sooner that's how people got them. Anyone who is a member there was getting one. They ran out today though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vampera13
05-01-2010, 07:13 AM
I can't wait until this game comes out. I love playing Halo just can't play it if you are tired.... :rockout:

oddjob428
05-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Well I tried the Halo Beta yesterday and I found it to be traditional Halo multiplayer mayhem. It seems that the graphics are about the same and I felt like I was playing Halo 3 but on different maps and with the addition of classes. I will buy the game but I was underwhelmed as far as my expectations of graphic improvements.

mrmp3
05-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Well I tried the Halo Beta yesterday and I found it to be traditional Halo multiplayer mayhem. It seems that the graphics are about the same and I felt like I was playing Halo 3 but on different maps and with the addition of classes. I will buy the game but I was underwhelmed as far as my expectations of graphic improvements.

Can't agree more. Mind you I was playing Halo 3 about 4 days before the beta and there is definitely more anti-aliasing (and a higher particle count) with less dramatic dips in framerate (though they are still there), but in terms of more detailed characters and environments, there isn't that much of a difference. Considering Halo 3 came out in 07' I think, and we are in 10' now, I was definitely expecting a bit more. I think why some people swear the graphics are a lot better is a combination of not touching Halo 3 for a long time and playing other shooters like MW2 and BC2. The difference being the Halo series uses a broader, brighter, and more saturated color spectrum. More cartoony or video game like rather than realistic. I'm not saying they look bad, but they just "POP" a lot more than say the colors in MW2 or BC2 (again not saying their colors look bad either, just more realistic).

I feel like this should be called Halo: Combat Rebalanced. It brings back the zoomed in pistol, fall damage, and health packs (which btw was one thing I'd been asking to bring back since Halo 2, if you got in a close fight with BR's and lost, the other guy/gal just recharged his/her shields and went on like nothing happened. Having the health bar makes that player leave his/her perch or wherever you got killed from and look for a health pack. Hopefully you can spawn fast enough to chase him/her down and finish the job). In terms of innovation, its not a lot. If Halo 3 was released on PC and allowed you to take mods, I don't see how this couldn't be achieved by a group of modders, all at the cost of $0 (minus the special abilities). So in one way I'm disappointed, but on the other, all the changes are ones that I welcome (particularly the health packs and zoomed magnum). Halo has been my franchise since way back when on the original Xbox using XBConnect to play online and I don't think I'm going to abandon it, though it is quite possible I might wait a month for a $20 price drop.