PDA

View Full Version : Gamespy and DSL

Majerle
03-12-2002, 07:16 PM
i know this question has been asked a million time but i am to stupid to find out what to hook up my DSL to it... thanks

Frostberg
03-12-2002, 07:21 PM
Thats what the search button is for...but anyway I have answered this question a million times...first off, do you have a USB DSL modem?

Majerle
03-14-2002, 04:33 PM
No it isn't it has a power plug, one ethernet phone jack, and a regular phone jack... i tried the search but couldn't get an answer i needed thank you very much for helping me out it is appreciated

l Maximus l
03-14-2002, 04:41 PM
Here are your requirments to play Halo on Gamespy:

1. Broadband modem (you have DSL, so, that will work)
2. 10/100 HUB (or Switch)
3. Three standard Category 5 patch cables
4. Dowload the free Gamespy Arcade Software and free Gamespy Tunnel Software

This is how you hook everything up:

1. Take your first CAT 5 cable and plug one end into your DSL modem and the other end into the "Uplink" port on your HUB (or Switch)
2. Take a second CAT 5 cable and plug one end into port 1 on your HUB (or Switch) and the other end into the ethernet port on your CPU)
3. Finally, take your final CAT 5 cable and plug one end into port 2 on your HUB (or Switch) and plug the other end into the back of your XBox.

When you play Halo, make sure you go to "Multi-player" and then "System Link". This is how you actually play. Think of Gamespy as if you were playing in a LAN of XBoxes in your livingroom...except, you are playing against people from around the country instead!

I hope this helps :)

LynxFX
03-14-2002, 05:35 PM
It sounds like this guy doesn't have a lan card in his computer.

If not, just go to your local computer store and pick up a cheap 10baseT network card. Get all of the cables you need and hub like Maximus said. The card should be under $20 and a small hub around the same.

Frostberg
03-14-2002, 05:36 PM
Still, a crossover cable is only $5.99 or so depending how long and what brand...

Majerle
03-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Thank you guys so much if there is anything I could do for you just ask.. well thanks again

mahalan
03-14-2002, 06:27 PM
I'd also suggest getting some inexpensive firewall software for your PC as well. Nothing ****es me off as much as all of the unprotected home machines hooked up to cable modems/DSL. You wouldn't believe the traffic they generate from the bots that hackers run off them. They also make it *much* more difficult to track the hackers down.

l Maximus l
03-14-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Lethaldose12
Hey maxuimus I cant seem to hookup with gamespy. i have everything hooked up right and i can go into the chat rooms but when i hit ready it and the game tunnle starts is where it freezes up for me. Have you ever had this prob? If so do u know how to fix it?

Well, yes..this happened to me at first when I realized that I was using a CAT 5 patch cable that had a bad connector on it. I simply replaced the bad one with a new one and I was set!

Make sure you see a green LED light above the input on your XBox (where the CAT 5 cable plugs into). You'll see it above the input.

Also, did you configure your tunnel software? You might have to do that, too. That could be the culprit. Also, if you just installed it, you need to restart your computer for it to work efficiently.

I hope one of these helps! :)

mahalan
03-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Which raises the question: "Why are there so many bad Cat5 cables out there?" They seem to have an outrageous defect rate (across all manufacturers/prices).

Crazy Joe
03-14-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
Still, a crossover cable is only $5.99 or so depending how long and what brand...

a crossover cable won't work, that'll only work to hook up two XBOXes

l Maximus l
03-14-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew

a crossover cable won't work, that'll only work to hook up two XBOXes

Well, technically, a Crossover will work if they have a DSL or Cable modem plugged into the USB port. Simply plug the Crossover cable into the Ethernet port on your CPU and the other end into your XBox and....BAM!!! You're in action! :D

Frostberg
03-14-2002, 07:20 PM
Maxys got my back!

A crossover cable simplu acts like a hub, in veversing the connection...but it does it inside the wire...

A crossover cable if for directly connecting 2 devices, in this case a PC and an Xbox!

IT WORKS BECAUSE THATS HOW I DO IT! And have been doing it since November 22!

ScorpionX
03-14-2002, 08:59 PM
What if my DSL modem has no place to put the first patch cable?

Frostberg
03-14-2002, 09:20 PM
you arent putting any cables into your modem...but if you could finally tell us WHAT KIND OF MODEM You have it would be a big help...is it a USB or an ethernet modem?

ScorpionX
03-14-2002, 09:25 PM
USB

Frostberg
03-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Ok then, thanks...that is a big help for me and you because you yourself just saved like $30...

Now, do you already own a NIC (ethernet card)?

ScorpionX
03-14-2002, 09:38 PM
Nope

Frostberg
03-14-2002, 09:43 PM
Your gonna need one...they are very cheap...and install in seconds, and Windows should auto install drivers so its very simple...go down to Circuit City and purchase
1. 10/100 NIC
2. Crossover cable

The crossover cable is just the real name for what MS brands as a "Ststem Link cable" You might just have to get the system link cable if you cant fina a crossover cable...but a yellow belkin crossover cable is only $5.99 there...

Once you are done installing the NIC simplyplug in both ends of the crossover cable into the Xbox and your new NIC...install softare and your done

ScorpionX
03-14-2002, 09:49 PM
thanks for helping me out