PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft gave me free points. why?

Rlvers
07-06-2010, 11:33 PM
the other day i went on my account and i had a message from microsoft, well i open it and it says "Hi from Xbox! Here are 160 free microsoft Points to buy game add-ons, HD movies, Arcade Games or Avatar items on xbox Live." then it tells me a code and to go redeem it.

Can anyone tell me why they gave me free points? None of my friends got this message. i know it is not that many points, but i am just curious as to why.

Variation-XBA
07-07-2010, 12:16 AM
You sure it's legit? Does it have you go to a website to get them or anything?

Rlvers
07-07-2010, 12:24 AM
no, its form Microsoft, they gave me the code in the message. I went to Redeem, typed in the code, i got the points. Now, i am not saying this is a bad thing, but i would just like to know why. am i special? lol

Fargoth
07-07-2010, 12:27 AM
no, its form Microsoft, they gave me the code in the message. I went to Redeem, typed in the code, i got the points. Now, i am not saying this is a bad thing, but i would just like to know why. am i special? lol

They know you know so they're bribing you to keep it quiet :watchout:

Rlvers
07-07-2010, 12:34 AM
They know you know so they're bribing you to keep it quiet :watchout:

Oh well if thats the case, i don't think 160 MS Points are going to keep me quiet. More like 63 billion points that i could transfer to friends....yea, thats more like it.

FrankForce77
07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
How often do you buy stuff on the market? It might be as simple as a marketing tool to get people that don't spend much money more. 160 points is barely enought to get anything worth a crap and they figure you might add more to that and spend money. Just a thought......

MoonTar
07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
160 points could get you two Indie games. :)

Rlvers
07-08-2010, 08:07 PM
How often do you buy stuff on the market? It might be as simple as a marketing tool to get people that don't spend much money more. 160 points is barely enought to get anything worth a crap and they figure you might add more to that and spend money. Just a thought......

well i actually spend alot, plus it could buy a rock band song. The exact amount they gave me was $2.

$20/1600=0.0125(each points worth) x 160 = 2

FrankForce77
07-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Hmmm well odd it is but hey don't look that gift horse in the mouth ya know? Free is usually pretty good in life but I can think of a few exceptions.

SpaceGhost2K
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
You probably downloaded a gamerpic that was a contest entry or something.

Rlvers
07-09-2010, 08:06 PM

if so, then the contest is 2 years old... I have used my cam for pix for the past couple years.

MoonTar
07-09-2010, 11:12 PM

Never heard of something like that. Usually gamer pics are for sweepstakes with big prizes. Odd.

Dwenden
07-16-2010, 06:51 PM
So yeah .... I opened my gmail up today and had one of these emails too except mine was for 400 free points. Entered the code and was fully legit.

*email cut and pasted* - code also removed just in case :watchout:
ENJOY 400 POINTS ON US

Redeem the code below by August 2, 2010, to get your Microsoft Points* (see instructions on how to redeem your code at the bottom of this e-mail).

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The Xbox LIVE Marketplace is your place to get the best in game add-ons, movies, Avatar gear, free game demos, game and movie trailers, and more**.

MoonTar
07-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Wish I could get free points. :(

Justin Bailey
07-16-2010, 07:59 PM
could be part of the rewards program? I get an email once every couple months saying I earned points by spending MS points on the marketplace.

Rlvers
07-16-2010, 08:36 PM
could be part of the rewards program? I get an email once every couple months saying I earned points by spending MS points on the marketplace.

maybe, it makes sense..but i did not get an e-mail or explanation

Dwenden
07-16-2010, 08:44 PM

And I got an email and explanation but never have spent anything in the marketplace. Maybe its like someone else said, to get me interested in using the marketplace.

Ainokeatoo
07-17-2010, 12:16 AM
I think it's for spending money on the marketplace, I just got a code for 400 MS points and I just recently bought a few things.

Alx1138
07-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I think it's for spending money on the marketplace, I just got a code for 400 MS points and I just recently bought a few things.

Perhaps that saw your recent promotion on Xbox Addict!!

Gearworksvfx
07-23-2013, 07:30 PM
I have 3 emails today one with a redeem code from microsoft for a free game called comic jumper...one for 800 points and one for 1600 microsoft points...holy...cr...p. i couldnt believe it.I had the xbox for 8 months now and i have spent more than 5000 euros in games,points and peripherals,dlc's and stuff....ive never had a console since ps1 and i went on a rampage..i used to play games only on pc...so thats why i think that they give points to gold members that spend a lot of money.......i love xbox and its my entertainment...I also bought another xbox slim for backup and 2 controllers for backup two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gearworksvfx
07-23-2013, 07:32 PM
I also have more than 25 games or so that i havent yet oppened them........im a game hoarder lol.....thanx for accepting me!!!

DDR Reloaded
08-01-2013, 04:24 PM
If its your birthday then you got them if you are signed up with Xbox rewards they give you points based on your gamer score that you have you can look it up on their website