PDA

View Full Version : Dead or Alive Heads to The Big Screen

Brevity
03-13-2002, 01:03 AM
Dead or Alive Heads to The Big Screen
TECMO JOINS WITH MINDFIRE ENTERTAINMENT TO BRING "DEAD OR ALIVE®" TO THE BIG SCREEN

Characters from best-selling video game series Dead or Alive® will become larger than life when big-budget movie hits theaters next year.

TORRANCE, Calif., March 11, 2002 – Leading video game publisher Tecmo announced today that it has finalized an agreement to allow Mindfire Entertainment to acquire the worldwide live-action production rights for "Dead or Alive®," the hit video game series.

"Dead or Alive" is among the most successful and critically acclaimed fighting series on the video game market today, with accumulated worldwide sales of 3.2 million to date. The latest installment, "Dead Or Alive® 3," was a bestseller for the Xbox™ video game system from Microsoft when it was released November 15th, 2001. The series debuted with "Dead or Alive®" for arcade and PlayStation® game console. "Dead or Alive® 2" was published on the Sega Dreamcast® video game console. "DOA2: Hardcore™" was one of the premiere titles at the launch of the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system.

"To us, ‘Dead or Alive’ is the perfect motion picture franchise," said Mark A. Altman, COO of Mindfire Entertainment, the award-winning independent production company that produced films such critically-acclaimed films as "Free Enterprise" and "The Specials," starring Rob Lowe. "DOA has set the standard for fighting games on every next-generation gaming console and has a loyal fan base throughout the world that is eagerly anticipating the release of a feature film based on this extraordinary video game series."

"We have prided our Dead or Alive series on being very dramatic and full of action with a very realistic, true to life feel," said John Inada, Marketing Director, Tecmo, Inc. "It’s only natural that these beloved characters make the leap into movies. We’re very excited to be working with Mindfire on making DOA as successful in motion pictures as it has been in the video game market. We know the millions of DOA fans around the world will be thrilled to see their favorite characters on the big screen in a big budget movie."

In the "Dead or Alive" series, the world’s greatest fighters battle each other in order to win the world-famous Dead or Alive tournament. Production on "Dead Or Alive -The Movie" will begin later this year with an expected theatrical release in 2003.

Dre
03-13-2002, 01:15 AM
I hope they still kick high :) I also hope that Tina's second costume will be the one used :) hehehe... and my third and final hope is that it doesn't blow as much as Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat did...

LynxFX
03-13-2002, 01:32 AM
Mortal Kombat was an excellent movie. Probably one of the best video game to movie, movies. Now the second one was much to be desired though. Animality my ass. :rolleyes:

Dre
03-13-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Mortal Kombat was an excellent movie

Right.........

Excellent? hmmm...

Now just watch this thread turn into an MK movie debate.. hehehe

LynxFX
03-13-2002, 01:52 AM
Ok, well it was a good movie. :D

Much better than Street Fighter and Mario Brother's.

So I guess that Dead or Alive will finally get a story then.

shererboat
03-13-2002, 06:53 AM
anyway u look at it, i dont think any movie that was based on a video game did that title any justice.........

hopefully doa (or maybe even resident evil??) will stop the trend of bad videogame spinoffs on the bigscreen.......:D