PDA

View Full Version : MGS Rising Won’t Have Many Returning Characters

Vampero
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/10439/MGS-Rising-Won%E2%80%99t-Have-Many-Returning-Characters.html

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Yikes... Says it wont be dwelling on the MG Saga story situation too much... That actually kinda scares me a little bit into thinking the Metal Gear Solid Rising series could turn into some spinoff series...

Justin Bailey
08-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Yikes... Says it wont be dwelling on the MG Saga story situation too much... That actually kinda scares me a little bit into thinking the Metal Gear Solid Rising series could turn into some spinoff series...

pretty sure that's exactly what they plan on doing if this game sells well on the xbox.

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 12:47 AM
pretty sure that's exactly what they plan on doing if this game sells well on the xbox.

I would be pretty surprised if they turn Rising into a non-canon Metal Gear Solid series, and I actually think that would be kindof a bad move...

Justin Bailey
08-21-2010, 01:01 AM
I would be pretty surprised if they turn Rising into a non-canon Metal Gear Solid series, and I actually think that would be kindof a bad move...

Bad in terms of what? if the game is a big seller (which I'm not sure if its going to be despite the MG pedigree), why wouldn't they want to continue making money off of that? It wouldn't be part of the MGS series anyway as this is raiden only, no solid snake.

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Bad in terms of what? if the game is a big seller (which I'm not sure if its going to be despite the MG pedigree), why wouldn't they want to continue making money off of that? It wouldn't be part of the MGS series anyway as this is raiden only, no solid snake.

It's my personal view, but I think in situations like that (turning the Rising series into a spinoff) they could actually be trading a portion of the old fans for the new --- myself being one of those old fans...

Justin Bailey
08-21-2010, 01:12 AM
I agree with what you're saying, but didn't konami want that with this series? its meant to be different from the MGS sneaking around style to a straight up balls to the wall action game. So in a way, you are correct. They basically hope to keep the old fans who love metal gear, but attract new fans who might be more into action titles.

Kojima has already stated that snakes' story is done so unless they plan on porting the fantastic PSP games, xbox isnt gonna see snake anytime soon. I have hopes that someday they release an "HD collection" of MGS 1-3.

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Justin,

1) If you take a look at some of the most recent information about Rising, whereever you feel like getting it, it says that you can go through the whole game without killing a person (as far as I know) --- and it's also been confirmed that this is not strictly an action video game, and that there will be a type of hunting stealth, however that will work...

2) Also, Hideo Kojima has said many times that he didn't want to do any more Metal Gear Solid video games --- only to end up making another --- and I wouldn't take his newest position or claim that much more serious than his previous ones, since there is some speculation that he may very well be working on (what may turn into) Metal Gear Solid 5... Whether or not that will star Solid Snake, who knows... But I think that it very well could...

Variation-XBA
08-21-2010, 02:08 AM
As long as Snake is somehow in it or a cameo, I'll be happy.

Symmetric-XBA
08-21-2010, 03:40 AM
I think Kojima can pull it off. With such attention to detail and esp. when it comes to a story, Kojima can do it like no-other. This is def. gonna be a great game. When I read "We don’t want to have it all tied up with the story from MGS2 or MGS4 and make it too complicated." i gathered that we will see some of our classic characters, however, they will only be a side part of the game, since this is supposed to be a launch of a new series.

Justin Bailey
08-21-2010, 05:50 AM
Justin,

1) If you take a look at some of the most recent information about Rising, whereever you feel like getting it, it says that you can go through the whole game without killing a person (as far as I know) --- and it's also been confirmed that this is not strictly an action video game, and that there will be a type of hunting stealth, however that will work...

2) Also, Hideo Kojima has said many times that he didn't want to do any more Metal Gear Solid video games --- only to end up making another --- and I wouldn't take his newest position or claim that much more serious than his previous ones, since there is some speculation that he may very well be working on (what may turn into) Metal Gear Solid 5... Whether or not that will star Solid Snake, who knows... But I think that it very well could...

yes, I have read the newest stories, however they are really misleading as the majority of the enemies are cyborgs and mechs. So saying you can go through the game without killing humans is very misleading. Hell even the tagline is Lightning Bolt Action.....so what does that tell you?

Second in response to both you and symmetric, Kojima is NOT working on this game outside of executive producer role. So I would DEFINITELY expect a much different title than anything from the MGS series.

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 02:59 PM
"yes, I have read the newest stories, however they are really misleading as the majority of the enemies are cyborgs and mechs. So saying you can go through the game without killing humans is very misleading. Hell even the tagline is Lightning Bolt Action.....so what does that tell you?"

^---My overall point was that there will almost certainly still be heavy stealth elements in the game, contrary to what you said about the game being a very heavy action game...

I understand your point, and see what your saying... However, there was also a statement released just after the trailer at E3 was shown saying that the game being a heavy action game is a misconception, and that there will be stealth...

Yes there will be mechs and such (obviously), but it looks like the developers are trying to get across to players EVEN FURTHER --- by claiming that no-kill playthroughs are possible --- that there will be heavy stealth elements to the game...

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 03:01 PM
"Second in response to both you and symmetric, Kojima is NOT working on this game outside of executive producer role. So I would DEFINITELY expect a much different title than anything from the MGS series."

As far as Kojima's personal role with the project goes, I honestly don't even know... Officially, I believe that what your saying is true... However, last year right around the announcement of the game --- it was said that Kojima would be taking kindof a supervisor type of role --- but shortly after it was reported on a big website that he would be taking a more hands on role with the game...

Symmetric-XBA
08-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Second in response to both you and symmetric, Kojima is NOT working on this game outside of executive producer role. So I would DEFINITELY expect a much different title than anything from the MGS series.

Bottom line, Kojima isn't going to put out a b.s. title that he won't put his name to. Expect some great things from this.

Justin Bailey
08-22-2010, 02:04 AM
Bottom line, Kojima isn't going to put out a b.s. title that he won't put his name to. Expect some great things from this.

I'm not saying its gonna be bad, just saying that its not Kojima's baby like the MGS series. Different creative designer (kimura) and different producer (Matsuyama).

I would imagine that Kojima will have some say in the game (ala miyamoto helping out with nintendo titles he's not officially working on) but he himself has stated several times that he's not doing much with this title and there's even rumours that he's working on a PS3 exclusive title (that many speculate is a new zone of the enders) and a 3DS metal gear has already been announced that Kojima will be directing and producing.

I trust Kojima's studio to put out quality products, so there's no doubt in my mind that Rising won't anything less than amazing, I just wonder if it will match the pedigree of MGS or if it will simply end up a decent diversion until a true Metal Gear is announced.

Justin Bailey
08-22-2010, 02:29 AM
"yes, I have read the newest stories, however they are really misleading as the majority of the enemies are cyborgs and mechs. So saying you can go through the game without killing humans is very misleading. Hell even the tagline is Lightning Bolt Action.....so what does that tell you?"

^---My overall point was that there will almost certainly still be heavy stealth elements in the game, contrary to what you said about the game being a very heavy action game...

I understand your point, and see what your saying... However, there was also a statement released just after the trailer at E3 was shown saying that the game being a heavy action game is a misconception, and that there will be stealth...

Yes there will be mechs and such (obviously), but it looks like the developers are trying to get across to players EVEN FURTHER --- by claiming that no-kill playthroughs are possible --- that there will be heavy stealth elements to the game...

well after doing some more reading I'm still not sold that this will be as stealth orientated as they are saying. This week at gamescon is where they revealed that the "no kill" run is possible, but then go on to give examples of accomplishing this by slicing soldiers guns in half and scaring them away or just straight up slicing their hands off.

My opinion is this: they revealed the game at E3 and many were surprised at the new direction for a MG game and possibly a lot of fans were upset that their is no stealth (not that the game looks bad per se, just upset about the big change). Fast forward 3 months later and all of the sudden they're saying that its "possible" to do no kill runs (which have been a huge part of the MGS series) but only give 2 examples of the "stealth"; cutting the guns out of their hands or even slicing the enemies hands off. To me that's a MUCH different brand of stealth than Snake ever did lol.

In the end the game is a long ways off, so who knows what the final product will actually be like, but until I actually see footage of the stealth gameplay, it sounds like they are just trying to please the few fans who are crying foul at the emphasis on action instead of stealth. which I might add, I am not one of these people who are/were upset with the new direction, this is just based on posts I've read on the Konami forums and other message boards. Personally I am REALLY excited and would put this title in my top 3 for 2011.:rockout:

ILLUSIVE
08-29-2010, 03:19 AM
"well after doing some more reading I'm still not sold that this will be as stealth orientated as they are saying. This week at gamescon is where they revealed that the "no kill" run is possible, but then go on to give examples of accomplishing this by slicing soldiers guns in half and scaring them away or just straight up slicing their hands off."

I think if the developers say the game is going to be stealth oriented, then it probably will... And you've made a good point here, but it still doesn't change the fact that the developers have said the game will have stealth gameplay, although with a different type of stealth than Solid Snake had...

ILLUSIVE
08-29-2010, 03:23 AM
"My opinion is this: they revealed the game at E3 and many were surprised at the new direction for a MG game and possibly a lot of fans were upset that their is no stealth (not that the game looks bad per se, just upset about the big change). Fast forward 3 months later and all of the sudden they're saying that its "possible" to do no kill runs (which have been a huge part of the MGS series) but only give 2 examples of the "stealth"; cutting the guns out of their hands or even slicing the enemies hands off. To me that's a MUCH different brand of stealth than Snake ever did lol."

You might have missed some key information regarding the stealth issue...

I watched the E3 gameplay demonstration LIVE on television, and I've got to admit that I was quite disappointed with the video game after seeing it for the first time... I could very well be mistaken (due to the announcers accent), but I'm almost 100% positive that they announced Rising as an 'action game' --- only to show a HEAVY action oriented Rising gameplay demonstration just after... However, and whether it was the next day or a couple days later, the people (or one of them) working on Rising came forward and said that people might have gotten the wrong idea from the trailer of the game, and that there will be plenty of stealth...

Justin Bailey
08-29-2010, 06:30 AM
no, I didn't miss any information. The devs have NOT said its going to be a stealth game at all. In fact they've said exactly the opposite. Its an action game first an foremost with SOME stealth elements. I just read an article in last months OXM where they interviewed the lead designer and also the producer who said stealth is "possible", but Rising is purely an action game and meant to be played that way. This is directly from the horses mouth, so I'm pretty sure that the things I said above a 100% correct.

ILLUSIVE
08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
no, I didn't miss any information. The devs have NOT said its going to be a stealth game at all. In fact they've said exactly the opposite. Its an action game first an foremost with SOME stealth elements. I just read an article in last months OXM where they interviewed the lead designer and also the producer who said stealth is "possible", but Rising is purely an action game and meant to be played that way. This is directly from the horses mouth, so I'm pretty sure that the things I said above a 100% correct.

I haven't seen the particular articles that you're talking about... However, I've still seen the introduction at this years E3 Live on television, and like I said, I'm almost positive that one of the people doing the introduction announced it as an 'action game'... Categorically speaking, in terms of genre, the truth is that virtually every single mainline Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell video game has been classified under various 'action' type genres --- if you take a look at the listings on major video game websites...

So the very fact that Rising will be considered some type of 'action game', like every single one of it's predecessors, does not give indication that there won't be a 'solid' foundation in stealth --- especially since the developers themselves are saying it...

Justin Bailey
08-30-2010, 12:25 AM
I haven't seen the particular articles that you're talking about... However, I've still seen the introduction at this years E3 Live on television, and like I said, I'm almost positive that one of the people doing the introduction announced it as an 'action game'... Categorically speaking, in terms of genre, the truth is that virtually every single mainline Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell video game has been classified under various 'action' type genres --- if you take a look at the listings on major video game websites...

So the very fact that Rising will be considered some type of 'action game', like every single one of it's predecessors, does not give indication that there won't be a 'solid' foundation in stealth --- especially since the developers themselves are saying it...

I just want to say that I'm glad to see someone with intelligence to have real conversation with about games on these forums. I was starting to get bored lol.

Anyway, at this point both of us are totally speculating on what the final product will be based on a few videos and some comments made by the devs/producer. In the end we'll have to judge for ourselves and see how much stealth there is in this bold new take from Kojima productions, or if its really meant to be played more as a straight action game. Personally I can't wait to play it myself and see!

ILLUSIVE
08-31-2010, 03:03 AM
I just want to say that I'm glad to see someone with intelligence to have real conversation with about games on these forums. I was starting to get bored lol.

Anyway, at this point both of us are totally speculating on what the final product will be based on a few videos and some comments made by the devs/producer. In the end we'll have to judge for ourselves and see how much stealth there is in this bold new take from Kojima productions, or if its really meant to be played more as a straight action game. Personally I can't wait to play it myself and see!

Ultimately (and with the stealth issue), my point is that I'm not necessarily speculating --- since I'm reading information put forward by the developers themselves...

RalliArtEvo
08-31-2010, 04:22 AM
I think its gonna be a mix of both action and stealth. From what I've read it seems that its more of a "hunter" role for raiden and he uses his cybernetic abilties for a faster and more fluid type of stealth for the humans and fast paced action sequences when fighting robots.