PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect 2 No longer exclusive?

Ainokeatoo
08-17-2010, 06:50 PM
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/08/mass-effect-2-comes-to-ps3-in-january/

Electronic Arts will release Mass Effect 2 on the PlayStation 3 in January 2011, it said Tuesday at the Gamescom conference in Cologne, Germany.

The sci-fi RPG drew raves from reviewers when it launched earlier this year on PC and Xbox 360. The original game was published by Microsoft, and thus never made it to PlayStation 3. The sequel, published by EA, will soon be multiplatform, although it will have been a year before Sony gamers get their hands on it.

Electronic Arts said that Mass Effect 2 is the highest-rated game in the publisher’s 28-year history.

Wow, EA is sure to piss off more people, again, good job. :)

Variation-XBA
08-17-2010, 07:08 PM
This must make you happy eh Aino :p

Ainokeatoo
08-17-2010, 07:27 PM
This must make you happy eh Aino :p

Nope :p not getting it, ME1 was okay, but to short for my liking, and I'm not into single player games (which is why I haven't picked up Dragon age yet).

Steeps5
08-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I think it's a smart move. I honestly don't like exclusivity at all. That just means that one crowd will have it while another doesn't. Also meaning less people on multiplayer. I just wish all games came out for 360, PS3, and PC (like Crysis 2 :) )

Unreal
08-17-2010, 11:05 PM
When EA bought Bioware it was just a matter of time.

Justin Bailey
08-18-2010, 03:53 AM
unless you're just a moronic xbox fanboy, this is great news! Now it means more people can play this fantastic series (well 2 outa 3 anyway lol)

On the other hand, its a shame that ps3 only owners won't get the first one, but seeing as how MS published, I can understand why.

FrankForce77
08-18-2010, 12:38 PM
1. Can EA possibly do anything else to piss off gamers?
2. Why give a good game like ME2 to the Playstation 3? Let them stick with their crap.
3. I love my XBOX 360 but it seems that allot of the XBOX 360 exclusives are fading away. Halo Reach is the last Halo game (or so I have heard), Now Mass Effect will be on both but at least Gears of War is exclusive to teh 360....for now.

Symmetric-XBA
08-18-2010, 04:00 PM
well since ME1 isn't going to be out on the PS3, then whats the point in starting off the story already halfway in? I don't understand how EA feels this is a good move? Granted yes, they are in the business of making money, but ME's main selling point is the story itself, and since the 1st game isn't going to be released on the PS3, then they kinda just passed the whole part about shepard and his crew and the plot behind the entire ME1 game. Idk this all sounds kinda pointless. Great for you PS3 owners, at least you may get 2 out of 3 lol. Enjoy part of the story.

Ainokeatoo
08-18-2010, 06:20 PM
well since ME1 isn't going to be out on the PS3, then whats the point in starting off the story already halfway in? I don't understand how EA feels this is a good move? Granted yes, they are in the business of making money, but ME's main selling point is the story itself, and since the 1st game isn't going to be released on the PS3, then they kinda just passed the whole part about shepard and his crew and the plot behind the entire ME1 game. Idk this all sounds kinda pointless. Great for you PS3 owners, at least you may get 2 out of 3 lol. Enjoy part of the story.

Because, EA is just out for money, doesn't make any sense to it, hopefully they fall through sooner or later and let the studio's they have go to smart publishers who don't try to buy every single game studio in the world.

Justin Bailey
08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Because, EA is just out for money, doesn't make any sense to it, hopefully they fall through sooner or later and let the studio's they have go to smart publishers who don't try to buy every single game studio in the world.

such as who? many of the studios that EA, Activision, Microsoft etc buy are in bad financial situations and joining up with large publishers allows them to concentrate on making great games than worrying about paying for marketing etc.

This is the way our industry is heading, just like most other industries, its all about big business. Its very difficult to survive in todays marketplace as a independent developer with todays massive budgets to make games and market them.

further, why does it even matter? does it somehow effect peoples personal enjoyment if another system gets the same game? It makes a LOT more sense to get the game in as many people's hands than staying exclusive. In the case of Mass Effect, the first game was published by MS, so that's why its not coming to ps3. However, Bioware made ME2 to allow people who hadn't played the first one to jump right in and be more or less up to date on the story, so I personally don't see this as a MAJOR issue.

Ainokeatoo
08-18-2010, 11:37 PM
such as who? many of the studios that EA, Activision, Microsoft etc buy are in bad financial situations and joining up with large publishers allows them to concentrate on making great games than worrying about paying for marketing etc.

Anyone, EA is the only company that willingly spreads itself incredibly thin.

I could care less about exclusivity as I own both, so it really doesn't matter to me.

Justin Bailey
08-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Anyone, EA is the only company that willingly spreads itself incredibly thin.

I could care less about exclusivity as I own both, so it really doesn't matter to me.

I disagree, Ubisoft, Activision, Namco-Bandai, Square-Enix to name a few off the top of my head, all have similar policies of snatching up devs to bring under their respective umbrella. If anything I would say that EA has actually gotten MUCH better the past couple years at making sure that devs have the time and resources to create amazing original IP's (ala Dead Space)

The rest of my post wasn't directed at you btw, just general comments to the thread.

Ainokeatoo
08-19-2010, 07:57 AM
I disagree, Ubisoft, Activision, Namco-Bandai, Square-Enix to name a few off the top of my head, all have similar policies of snatching up devs to bring under their respective umbrella. If anything I would say that EA has actually gotten MUCH better the past couple years at making sure that devs have the time and resources to create amazing original IP's (ala Dead Space)

The rest of my post wasn't directed at you btw, just general comments to the thread.

Yes, and while they do, they're lucky enough to be able to gain money doing so, EA is the only one really taking hits because they take so many studios under their wing trying to support them all. They're trying to penetrate every genre in the market, Ubi, Acti, Nam, and SE all try to take studio's that stick to their corner of the market. That's the thing EA is doing wrong, while I believe it may be possible to dip into all genre's of the market, they're just going about it the wrong way, at least in my opinion.

Oh I know :p I just wanted to get my two cents in.

FPSMadPaul
08-19-2010, 10:08 AM
1. Can EA possibly do anything else to piss off gamers?
2. Why give a good game like ME2 to the Playstation 3? Let them stick with their crap.
3. I love my XBOX 360 but it seems that allot of the XBOX 360 exclusives are fading away. Halo Reach is the last Halo game (or so I have heard), Now Mass Effect will be on both but at least Gears of War is exclusive to teh 360....for now.

I for one own both consoles but agree with you consoles should have exclusives.