PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell Conviction and beyond **SPOILERS**

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 03:50 AM
I've played and completed Splinter Cell Conviction, and I personally view it as the best SC game to date... I'm generally wondering what people thought of Conviction, and what will happen in the next Splinter Cell game...

Justin Bailey
08-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I've played and completed Splinter Cell Conviction, and I personally view it as the best SC game to date... I'm generally wondering what people thought of Conviction, and what will happen in the next Splinter Cell game...

just, curious. what other Splinter cells have you played?

Personally I thought that conviction was the worst of the series and I hate the direction they are taking Splinter Cell in. Just like every other Ubi title (rainbow six and ghost recon in particular) they are trying to make everything noob friendly and to me it takes away what splinter cell and the other titles are about.

Not including spies vs. mercenaries was a huge mistake and honestly I have no idea wtf ubisoft was thinking not including a true MP mode. The stealth elements were severely toned down from the previous efforts for a more action orientated gameplay and I wasn't crazy about the whole "if your hidden, the whole world is monochromatic" look either.

For me, pandora tomorrow and chaos theory were easily the best the series has to offer and based off of gamerankings, seems I'm not the only one who feels this way.

rezzurekted
08-21-2010, 11:08 AM
I thought the SCC was THE BEST SC ever made! its a perfect game! Everything is right in this game and its gonna be tough to beat, just hope they dont mess with the engine to much in the next one, to be honest if no one like the new SC then thats there loss tbh,

Co-op is dying out so ubi have done a very good job at implementing a excellent Co-op mode into this game which takes the game to new level as its a separate story (which i enjoy a great deal) yes it maybe true that is a very user friendly game but games have to be now a days other wise they don't sell to the masses!

Games are changing some for the better some for the worse but this has changed for the better imo

As for the next installment its going be awesome breaking Vick out of prison/jail (where ever hes being held) i also enjoyed the Vick part of the story (iraq) Ign said that mission didnt feel 'Sam fisher' enough......STUPID Ign! course not as you wasn't playing as Fisher!

All in all this is a great game and anyone who likes any part of the series is full of them selfs when they say its either crap or rubbish as a whole!

Justin Bailey
08-21-2010, 11:33 AM
I thought the SCC was THE BEST SC ever made! its a perfect game! Everything is right in this game and its gonna be tough to beat, just hope they dont mess with the engine to much in the next one, to be honest if no one like the new SC then thats there loss tbh,

Co-op is dying out so ubi have done a very good job at implementing a excellent Co-op mode into this game which takes the game to new level as its a separate story (which i enjoy a great deal) yes it maybe true that is a very user friendly game but games have to be now a days other wise they don't sell to the masses!

Games are changing some for the better some for the worse but this has changed for the better imo

As for the next installment its going be awesome breaking Vick out of prison/jail (where ever hes being held) i also enjoyed the Vick part of the story (iraq) Ign said that mission didnt feel 'Sam fisher' enough......STUPID Ign! course not as you wasn't playing as Fisher!

All in all this is a great game and anyone who likes any part of the series is full of them selfs when they say its either crap or rubbish as a whole!

LOL.... So splinter cell fans who don't like the new direction are "full of themselves"? Splinter Cell games were based primarily on stealth and what we got in conviction is a far cry from that. Even the devs themselves said they wanted to take SC and make it more accessable for newcomers and make it more action orientated, thus completely abandoning the hardcore fanbase that helped make SC so popular in the first place.

And what does it even mean that "coop is dying", cause if anything, coop is a VERY important part of gaming today, so I'm not sure what you meant by that. My point was that they took away what is arguably the best part of the entire series....spies vs mercs (which is a versus mode, not coop)

Variation-XBA
08-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I loved convictions new style and gameplay. I like how it's a little more action orientated but you can still play stealthly for the most part. I do want to see Spy's vs Merc's come back though as that was the most fin I ever had in Pandora Tomorrow online.

Helidriver
08-21-2010, 02:23 PM
I loved it. I have played all the Splinter Cell games on PC, PS2 and Xbox. I have to say the one thing I loved most about those games was the moments where a split second decision was required for example in Pandora Tomorrow **SPOILER ALERT** when you had to shoot/spare Dahlia in Jerusalem. **SPOILER ALERT ENDS** I did like the option to complete a mission without ever having to kill an enemy or even be noticed. What I like about Conviction is the speed Sam moves and the raw lethality he unleashes. The "last known position" was a long time coming. I love the co-op campaign. Who knows what the next Splinter Cell will be? I personally hope they take a bit of a step back and mix what they have now with the magic they had in the first games.

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Justin,

I've played, and have beaten, virtually every single mainline console Splinter Cell video game, including...

1) Splinter Cell
2) Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
3) Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
4) Splinter Cell: Double Agent
5) And obviously Conviction...

So, believe it or not, I'm actually hardcore fan of BOTH the Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid video games --- having played the best from both series'...

I always view Metal Gear Solid as having the better storyline, and storyline presentation, than the Splinter Cell series --- and my personaly view was that the creation of Splinter Cell (at least in part) was an attempt to add some elements to the stealth action genre of which Metal Gear Solid didn't already have --- particularly more concentration on interesting gameplay rather than story... After the first couple of Splinter Cell games were released, I think that Metal Gear Solid 3 tried to MATCH the SC games excellent gameplay with some interesting new additions to MGS gameplay... And to support my theory, the developers of MGS3 basically stated BEFORE it's release that they wanted to concentrate a little bit moreso on gameplay this time --- and if you play the game all the way through, you will notice this quite easily, as the game doesn't have any where NEAR the amount of cutscenes that Solid 2 had...

So basically what I'm getting at here is that the first 3 Splinter Cell video games had some pretty boring, bland, and typical storylines for a Clancy game (in my view and by comparison to MGS) --- in the sense that Sam's job is basically just to 'get the terrorists'... I understand that people tend to not like Double Agent, but I view that game as the beginning of Splinter Cell's interesting storyline --- with Conviction capitalizing on it even further...

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 02:45 PM
^---Continuing directly from above...

I don't think Conviction's story was as good as the STORY-TELLING in the video game, and I honestly believe that the story-telling methods of Conviction are getting closer to the level of a great Metal Gear Solid video game... The game has some great music, the beginning of Sam's story mode reminded me of the cell phone call with Morpheus in the first Matrix, and there were some excellent plot twists to the game...

^---Not only that, but there also seems to be a bit of a master/apprentice relationship between Fisher and Lambert similar to The Boss and Naked Snake from MGS...

As far as gameplay goes, however, I would have to agree with Justin that there was way too much limitation on stealth this time around... If they keep the same gameplay mechanics from Conviction, put them into SC6, but concentrate moreso on stealth (instead of having enemies sometimes rush at you in ways like Gears of War) --- while still keeping those same great story elements --- I think the next game will be the best yet...

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 02:47 PM
I loved convictions new style and gameplay. I like how it's a little more action orientated but you can still play stealthly for the most part. I do want to see Spy's vs Merc's come back though as that was the most fin I ever had in Pandora Tomorrow online.

I was never a huge fan of Spies vs Mercs on Chaos Theory, but I played it some on Double Agent, and I have no idea why they didn't keep that gameplay mode in Conviction...

ILLUSIVE
08-21-2010, 02:53 PM
I loved it. I have played all the Splinter Cell games on PC, PS2 and Xbox. I have to say the one thing I loved most about those games was the moments where a split second decision was required for example in Pandora Tomorrow **SPOILER ALERT** when you had to shoot/spare Dahlia in Jerusalem. **SPOILER ALERT ENDS** I did like the option to complete a mission without ever having to kill an enemy or even be noticed. What I like about Conviction is the speed Sam moves and the raw lethality he unleashes. The "last known position" was a long time coming. I love the co-op campaign. Who knows what the next Splinter Cell will be? I personally hope they take a bit of a step back and mix what they have now with the magic they had in the first games.

**SPOILERS**

Well if you remember the ending of Conviction, the game seems to be giving the impression that Fisher is about to rescue Vic from where he is... And guess where Vic is? Being held in a Blackarrow facility by the people who were working with Third Echelon to overthrow the US government...

I was hoping they might do a DLC pack where you get to rescue Vic, but it looks like they may be saving that part for the next game... And also don't forget about Migeeto (<--probably incorrect spelling), the shadowy organization who planted Tom Reed into Third Echelon to help carry out their whole plan because the president didn't want to 'play ball' with their policies... The organization sounds alot like The Patriots from Metal Gear Solid, in my view, and I think it will be interesting to see where Fisher's alignment is in SC6...

I think he might be working directly for the US President in part six, perhaps as a newly constructed elitest Secret Service unit even more technologically advanced than Third Echelon...

Not Yellow
08-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is by far the best of the series. Not only was the single player difficult..but the Multiplayer was excellent. Spies vs. Mercs was really what made Splinter Cell for me, and can still remember countless hours of time that I spent playing Warhouse.

Conviction was fun, but short, and in my opinion FAR LESS challenging than the games that came before it.

Variation-XBA
08-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Spies vs. Mercs was really what made Splinter Cell for me, and can still remember countless hours of time that I spent playing Warhouse.

Damn rights, best multiplayer map for the series so far

ILLUSIVE
08-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is by far the best of the series. Not only was the single player difficult..but the Multiplayer was excellent. Spies vs. Mercs was really what made Splinter Cell for me, and can still remember countless hours of time that I spent playing Warhouse.

Conviction was fun, but short, and in my opinion FAR LESS challenging than the games that came before it.

I'd agree that Conviction was less challenging that previous Splinter Cell games, but I wouldn't necessarily consider the 'trial and error' style of those same previous games as a GOOD challenge --- since things could get quite frustrating at times...

Also, Splinter Cell started out as a single player game --- and thats generally where I expect the best experience to be within the game, although I understand why people like the SvM so much --- and I think bringing it back in SC6 should be a given...

As far as Chaos Theories single player campaign goes... It obviously had some pretty solid gameplay, but the story was pretty BASIC (in my view) and I think the camera was a little bit too close to Fisher in that game, whereas in Conviction, it was absolutely perfect...