PDA

View Full Version : MS quiet on Halo Reach release date move

Not Yellow
08-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Microsoft has refused to comment on the possibility of it moving the release date of Halo Reach forward - following the game's appearance on BitTorrent sites.

We reported over the weekend that review code of Halo: Reach has been accessed by hackers.

The code was then leaked onto Torrent sites - with in-game footage quickly appearing on YouTube. The ending of the game has even been given away by one particularly spoilerific uploader.

With three weeks until the game's September 14 release, Microsoft is being pressured to act by fans - and, no doubt, by its shareholders.

Movement of release dates in response to leaks is common in the music industry. Albums from acts such as Eminem, MGMT, Jay-Z and 50 Cent have all been pulled forward due to piracy in recent months.

However, the practice in uncommon in games - but Reach could change all that.

When asked if the release date could change as a result of the Torrent activity, an MS spokesperson told CVG:

"We have nothing further to announce in relation to Halo Reach at this time."

Rumours abound that Bungie is keen to release the game earlier. It told CVG last week that only two per cent of staff were left working on Reach, which went gold earlier in the month.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261474

Ainokeatoo
08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Forward as in earlier? If so, thank you pirates. :)

FrankForce77
08-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Piracy is a bit*h ya know! even if they release it ahead of time it still sucks that hackers wee able to get ahold of the game and such. I remember when I had a PsP is was the hackers that made me get rid of it because they made it so unfair and hard to play the game while they were cheating. I hope Halo Reach still comes out in Sept. but if it does not oh well I can wait for it no problems.

Ainokeatoo
08-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Piracy is a bit*h ya know! even if they release it ahead of time it still sucks that hackers wee able to get ahold of the game and such. I remember when I had a PsP is was the hackers that made me get rid of it because they made it so unfair and hard to play the game while they were cheating. I hope Halo Reach still comes out in Sept. but if it does not oh well I can wait for it no problems.

I don't think they're pushing it back because the 14th has been gold for months now. In fact, I don't think I've seen a halo game delayed.

Variation-XBA
08-25-2010, 04:20 PM
I hope Halo Reach still comes out in Sept. but if it does not oh well I can wait for it no problems.

It's not getting delayed, don't worry.

sw0rdfish-XBA
08-25-2010, 05:30 PM
This will NEVER happen.

You don't market a realease date like that, and then move the game's release forward because pirates got your game.

#1.It just give incentives to what they've done and will make them want to keep doing it.

#2. 09.14.2010 is engrained in everyone's head, there is NO way they would change that, for anything!

Vampero
08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Forward as in earlier? If so, thank you pirates. :)

Good I hope i get my Halo reach 360 early too!!! WOOOOOOT!!!

SpaceGhost2K
08-25-2010, 08:03 PM
- Sept. 1st would still be in Q3.
- Sept. 1 would still be in Sept. so it would actually help NPD numbers by giving it an extra two weeks.

The only concern would be making sure one retailer didn't have it when an earlier date is announced. They can announce it at PAX (Fri, 3rd would be good), and I can run right over to Bungie to party with them. They party good. :D

You can imagine if they bumped it and Target didn't receive the game yet. Co-op $ would be forfeited and all hell would break loose.

Justin Bailey
08-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Not gonna happen, move along folks.