PDA

View Full Version : Hello my new controller

Ainokeatoo
08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Coming this fall, Microsoft will release a new, re-designed Xbox 360 wireless controller that features a transforming d-pad and different colored buttons.

Acknowledging the trouble many players have had with the current d-pad, Microsoft's engineers have upgraded the controller's d-pad to go "from a plus to a disc with the twist of the wrist," according to Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb, director of programming for Xbox Live.

The new d-pad provides "ultimate accuracy and control for both directional as well as sweeping movements."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1117085p1.html

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/111/1117085/xbxo360controller2_1283272269.jpg

Hello my new controller daddy will be waiting for you come November 9th lol

Ricepuppet
08-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Colours look really bland, but that d-pad improvement was a must. Doing tricks in Streetfighter was a crime first class.

Ainokeatoo
08-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Matte Silver is a nice looking color, at least to me

MoonTar
08-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Interesting, but I would want to test it out first before I bought it.

Vampero
08-31-2010, 06:25 PM

ditto!!:cool:

RalliArtEvo
08-31-2010, 07:54 PM
what a freaking joke. instead of releasing this new controller with all new xbox's, you have to spend $65 to get it and a play and charge (which i already have 3 of)
Sorry but this screams of money grab by MS. I'll stick with my Street Fighter pad for fighting games.

Variation-XBA
08-31-2010, 08:26 PM
what a freaking joke. instead of releasing this new controller with all new xbox's, you have to spend $65 to get it and a play and charge (which i already have 3 of)
Sorry but this screams of money grab by MS. I'll stick with my Street Fighter pad for fighting games.

It isn't out yet, so how would it be bundled in?

It's an updated version, hence it's release. if the Dpad sn't an issue for you, don't get it.

Steeps5
08-31-2010, 11:21 PM
It does look pretty sweet, but I just don't like the ABXY button colors :p

Ainokeatoo
08-31-2010, 11:41 PM
It does look pretty sweet, but I just don't like the ABXY button colors :p

Agreed, I just think they should all be just one color.

RalliArtEvo
09-01-2010, 03:46 AM
It isn't out yet, so how would it be bundled in?

It's an updated version, hence it's release. if the Dpad sn't an issue for you, don't get it.

My problem with this release is they should have ALL the controllers use this new dpad, why do they have to make a "special" release. And what exactly do you mean "how would it be bundled in"? its really simple, you put the new dpad on all new controllers.

After 5 years of people begging for a better dpad, all we get is a seperate controller that forces you to buy the play n charge with it. So in essence, MS hasn't fixed the problem, but forces people who are looking for a nice dpad (that it should have had all along) to drop almost $70, when they could have easily just made this the universal new dpad with the redesigned system. I don't see why that's so much to ask for.

rezzurekted
09-01-2010, 12:41 PM
i think its a great looking controller :) finally they ditched the colourful buttons which i think a tacky as hell, its just a shame that i have to wait until February for it to come out over here :( but im just gonna order one from over seas instead lol.

Symmetric-XBA
09-01-2010, 01:35 PM
My problem with this release is they should have ALL the controllers use this new dpad, why do they have to make a "special" release. And what exactly do you mean "how would it be bundled in"? its really simple, you put the new dpad on all new controllers.

After 5 years of people begging for a better dpad, all we get is a seperate controller that forces you to buy the play n charge with it. So in essence, MS hasn't fixed the problem, but forces people who are looking for a nice dpad (that it should have had all along) to drop almost $70, when they could have easily just made this the universal new dpad with the redesigned system. I don't see why that's so much to ask for.

How would MS get all these new dpad controllers out to all the customers? So from what I'm getting from this is that you would rather spend the money on a whole new system for these new controllers?? Yeah the addition of the play n charge is something that I agree shouldn't be included just to drive up the price. I'd like to see MS offer the controller as a stand alone one AND offer the play-n-charge bundle as well. MS is already going to be making a crapton of these anyway so I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

RalliArtEvo
09-01-2010, 03:59 PM
How would MS get all these new dpad controllers out to all the customers? So from what I'm getting from this is that you would rather spend the money on a whole new system for these new controllers?? Yeah the addition of the play n charge is something that I agree shouldn't be included just to drive up the price. I'd like to see MS offer the controller as a stand alone one AND offer the play-n-charge bundle as well. MS is already going to be making a crapton of these anyway so I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

No, I'm not suggesting that they ONLY pack the controller in with new systems. What I'm saying is that they should be packed in with new systems AND give people the option to buy them seperately if they already have a system. The dpad has been an issue on the controller since the first day the system was out and MS's answer to this problem comes 5 years later and only comes on this "special" controller when they could easily pack them in with the new slim.

It all boils down to this, say someone wants to upgrade to a slim this holiday, it comes with a new wireless controller, but hey it doesn't have the fancy new dpad, so ms solution is to make you buy another controller and bundle it with a worthless accessory for almost $70.

Variation-XBA
09-01-2010, 09:37 PM
What do you need the enhansed dpad for? Fighters? You should be using a fighting stick instead of it's that big of an issue

RalliArtEvo
09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
What do you need the enhansed dpad for? Fighters? You should be using a fighting stick instead of it's that big of an issue

I like how you're trying to make it seem like a non-issue when the very fact they are releasing this shows that fans haven't been happy with the dpad. It's a pretty well documented issue many have with the otherwise perfect controller (imo)

I use dpad on many arcade games as well as retail titles like fallout for quick weapon selects (for example). My whole point is, why couldn't they have incorporated this idea into the new slim launch or maybe the kinect bundle launch? It sure would be nice for someone like me who's planning on upgrading to a slim soon to be getting this new improved dpad or at least an improved dpad in general. However, instead of improving the whole product line, they are just "adding on" and even upselling you with a play n charge kit without you even having a choice on whether you need/want it.

It's certainly not the biggest deal in the world, but its something I've personally wished for since the 360 first launched and from what I've read on major nelsons own story, many others feel the same way.

Variation-XBA
09-02-2010, 01:20 AM
I like how you're trying to make it seem like a non-issue when the very fact they are releasing this shows that fans haven't been happy with the dpad. It's a pretty well documented issue many have with the otherwise perfect controller (imo)

I use dpad on many arcade games as well as retail titles like fallout for quick weapon selects (for example). My whole point is, why couldn't they have incorporated this idea into the new slim launch or maybe the kinect bundle launch? It sure would be nice for someone like me who's planning on upgrading to a slim soon to be getting this new improved dpad or at least an improved dpad in general. However, instead of improving the whole product line, they are just "adding on" and even upselling you with a play n charge kit without you even having a choice on whether you need/want it.

It's certainly not the biggest deal in the world, but its something I've personally wished for since the 360 first launched and from what I've read on major nelsons own story, many others feel the same way.

Because to me it is a non issue. I've never once said "wow I wish this dpad was better". I can't recal a time when I wasn't able to properly play something because the pdad "sucked", but hey, that's me. You're welcome to your opinion.

sw0rdfish-XBA
09-02-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm in the "The DPad was a problem?!?!?!" camp. I've never had an issue with it and I fail to see the big deal about it.

Now, that said, I totally see where Ralli is coming from. This isn't a "new idea" in the sense that I'm sure it's been in R&D awhile, and they could have easily offered this controller with the new 360 S ( **** calling it a slim... Its not! ) but MS is a company, and they know most people wont care, and many people will buy this controller despite the play and charge. Your only option is to complain, and then don't upgrade till they DO bundle it in.

In the meantime, they eager beavers will have theirs in hand.

I love how MajorNelson does these videos like we're SO lucky to have this small upgrade to spend some money on. Like "Look what we did!!". It kinda irks me.. Even though he's good people.

I like the new controller for nothing but the colour. I'll be at 6 with the reach console. Maybe one of these and a pink one and I'm set.

RalliArtEvo
09-02-2010, 02:35 AM
Because to me it is a non issue. I've never once said "wow I wish this dpad was better". I can't recal a time when I wasn't able to properly play something because the pdad "sucked", but hey, that's me. You're welcome to your opinion.

....and that's something to be thankful for if you never had issues, but there IS an issue with the dpad. There are even a number of walkthroughs that show you how to "fix" the dpad by shaving part of the housing, so I'm just saying that its not like I'm the only person that's complained about it. Go look at Major Nelson's site about the controller and you'll see numerous posts saying the same thing I've been saying.

In the end, its more the principal of things, I'm glad they are at least attempting to do something about it, but I just feel this should have been a system-wide change. That's really my main issue :hardcore:

Ricepuppet
09-02-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm with RalliArtEvo.

MXracer721
09-02-2010, 06:28 PM
BRING BACK THE FATTY! Seriously, I loved the feel of the original xbox controller, but I think the current button layout is the best. Combine the two and it would be perfect! Yea, I know its never gonna happen.......Back on topic, I never really noticed an issue with the dpad so I most likely won't get this, but it's cool they are giving you an option to get a better one if you want to pay for it.

Variation-XBA
09-02-2010, 07:30 PM
BRING BACK THE FATTY! Seriously, I loved the feel of the original xbox controller, but I think the current button layout is the best. Combine the two and it would be perfect! Yea, I know its never gonna happen.......Back on topic, I never really noticed an issue with the dpad so I most likely won't get this, but it's cool they are giving you an option to get a better one if you want to pay for it.

amen!

*points to his avatar*

Vampera13
09-03-2010, 10:45 PM

I like those colors I think they look pretty cool together.....

RalliArtEvo
09-04-2010, 01:03 PM
personally i really don't like the look of the buttons. makes the controller too bland imo.

Helidriver
09-04-2010, 02:06 PM
It's not that I don't believe there is a problem with the D-pad, It's just that I never had an issue with it. So what is the flaw?

RalliArtEvo
09-04-2010, 02:35 PM
It's not that I don't believe there is a problem with the D-pad, It's just that I never had an issue with it. So what is the flaw?

Click here and read this article (http://www.destructoid.com/undeniable-failure-an-open-letter-to-microsoft-on-the-xbox-360-dpad-76299.phtml)

or perhaps this one (http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/xbox-360/news/the-problem-with-d-pads-and-how-a-rumoured-new-360-controller-might-fix-it/a-20100831105227227034/g-20060321132945404017)

or how about this video showing one way to "fix" the issue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ry1UDQYjkQ)

or this guide on fixing it (http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/360dpadfix/360dpadfix.htm)

those are just a few of the hundreds of articles, videos, walkthroughs etc talking about the problems with the dpad.

Helidriver
09-04-2010, 05:52 PM
From the first article:

"It's not that bad. Mine works just fine."
"Really? Tell us where you got it, because it's obviously not the same model that came with the other 99.997% of Xbox 360s on the market. You must know where to buy this special "doesn't suck" package."

I got mine at Wal-mart, I guess I got lucky... Or I'm awesome!

I'm glad Microsoft fixed your D-pad problem.

Steeps5
09-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Well I personally I have never had an issue with mine, but I honestly have never had a game that uses it much.

RalliArtEvo
09-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Well I personally I have never had an issue with mine, but I honestly have never had a game that uses it much.

.....and that's the thing I think many are missing that claim theirs "works fine". If you rarely play games that require precise input on the dpad, then you wouldn't notice it. But there IS a big problem with the design. I mean this isn't even the first time that MS has released a special controller with a new dpad. Last year they came out with one in europe that had an upgraded dpad for one of the big soccer titles (which was never released anywhere else).

Steeps5
09-05-2010, 10:30 AM
.....and that's the thing I think many are missing that claim theirs "works fine". If you rarely play games that require precise input on the dpad, then you wouldn't notice it. But there IS a big problem with the design. I mean this isn't even the first time that MS has released a special controller with a new dpad. Last year they came out with one in europe that had an upgraded dpad for one of the big soccer titles (which was never released anywhere else).

Oh ok. Well that makes sense, which also means I wouldn't buy the new controller.

Symmetrics Love
09-05-2010, 10:42 PM
just adding my 2 cents. lol...
I completely side with ralli on this one. I feel that "new" dpad controllers should've been launched with the new 360s instead of forcing people to pay 300 bucks for the new system and then if they want the new dpad forcing them to go out and spend an extra 70 bucks for it. To me it just screams "give me your money" with the "we at microsoft are listening to the fans" as the cover up to hide the fact that they just want more money! I dont use my dpad much, so i think i will just stick with my "old" controller. 70 bucks is just to much to pay for a new DPad (imo)