PDA

View Full Version : Kinect screwes Canada

Symmetric-XBA
09-01-2010, 02:05 PM
So, you live in Canada and want to use voice control for Kinect for your 360 at launch? Think again. :( Kinect's language recognition will be.... get this.. REGION LOCKED. So all Canadians who want that voice control over their 360 will now have to wait until spring of NEXT YEAR in order to do so. Read more details here:
Only 3 languages will be supported at launch: American and Brittish: English, Japanese, Mexico Spanish (http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/10516/Kinect-Will-Recognize-Three-Languages-at-Launch.html)

sw0rdfish-XBA
09-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Because it won't do French, and thus is against our language laws... fail.

I bet you can set your XBox to US Region or something.

Ainokeatoo
09-01-2010, 03:42 PM
LOL Oh my, I can't wait for Var's post about this.

RalliArtEvo
09-01-2010, 04:09 PM
wow, talk about major fail here. Good going MS!

ps. its screws lol

Vampero
09-01-2010, 04:20 PM
This is to funny...lol

Ainokeatoo
09-01-2010, 04:21 PM
This is to funny...lol

To us both it is lol.

MoonTar
09-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Would it be better if M$ pushed back the release date of Kinect till next spring?

Vampero
09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Would it be better if M$ pushed back the release date of Kinect till next spring?

I don't know but I'm glad I live in the USA!

Ainokeatoo
09-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Not really, they have to release it in time with Move, so they can compete.

Fargoth
09-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I think Canada is becoming the new Soviet Russia jokes.

In Canada Microsoft plays you!

Vampero
09-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I think Canada is becoming the new Soviet Russia jokes.

In Canada Microsoft plays you!

LMAOROTF!!!:cheers:

MoonTar
09-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Not really, they have to release it in time with Move, so they can compete.

Exactly, M$ probably just supported what they thought would cover the most people first.

Anyone here mute? You know the retail Kinect doesn't support sign language yet either.

Ainokeatoo
09-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Exactly, M$ probably just supported what they thought would cover the most people first.

Anyone here mute? You know the retail Kinect doesn't support sign language yet either.

Lol I would do it to, it just makes sense, it's not fair but, large companies don't care lol.

Variation-XBA
09-01-2010, 09:34 PM
LOL Oh my, I can't wait for Var's post about this.

****ing balls ***p *** ******** **** bag a****s balls *****

sw0rd probably right about the french language laws thing unfortunetly....but it's kinda funny to see american listed as a language.

GODDAMNIT

Ainokeatoo
09-01-2010, 10:22 PM

sw0rd probably right about the french language laws thing unfortunetly....but it's kinda funny to see american listed as a language.

GODDAMNIT

LOL I'd thought you'd have something to say about this, I think this is one of the worst things MS has done to canada. It's not like they're keeping Canada out of Kinect, it's just you won't really be able to use some of what you paid a hundred some odd bucks for lol.

Also, you guys should revolt, don't most of you guys speak english anyways? xD

Symmetric-XBA
09-01-2010, 11:38 PM

Is that some form of Canadian morse code?

Variation-XBA
09-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Also, you guys should revolt, don't most of you guys speak english anyways? xD
Clearly we don't according to them

sw0rdfish-XBA
09-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Clearly we don't according to them

It's not MS, it's Canadian language laws. If it doesn't do French, it can't come here. I guess it's their fault for not doing French, but whatever. It's still going to work mostly no? What uses voice recognition?

sw0rdfish-XBA
09-02-2010, 08:57 AM
According to Engadet, Canada will have support, as long as it's English. So it has nothing to do with any laws, just stupid media and/or MS Press releases.

Symmetric-XBA
09-02-2010, 09:15 AM
It's not MS, it's Canadian language laws. If it doesn't do French, it can't come here. I guess it's their fault for not doing French, but whatever. It's still going to work mostly no? What uses voice recognition?

Some of the features that use the voice recognition are movie controls such as "xbox play", "xbox pause", etc.. as well its been rumored that you could access games on your live arcade as well as the game in your console via voice recognition. Every other feature (so far) will be available for Canadians and the voice recognition will be available next spring. What has me worried is that if the voice control is region locked, then what other features of Kinect follow suit?? Will the kinect chat feature be region locked as well? What about the upcoming news on netflix coming to Canadian 360's this fall? Will those be region locked as well for parties and such? MS has a lot of explaining to do, but yet they still claim the "moral high ground" like we should be appreciative of what they are doing. Yeah MS we're reallllllly appreciative of some half-a$$ed thinking. Great job.

sw0rdfish-XBA
09-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Some of the features that use the voice recognition are movie controls such as "xbox play", "xbox pause", etc.. as well its been rumored that you could access games on your live arcade as well as the game in your console via voice recognition. Every other feature (so far) will be available for Canadians and the voice recognition will be available next spring. What has me worried is that if the voice control is region locked, then what other features of Kinect follow suit?? Will the kinect chat feature be region locked as well? What about the upcoming news on netflix coming to Canadian 360's this fall? Will those be region locked as well for parties and such? MS has a lot of explaining to do, but yet they still claim the "moral high ground" like we should be appreciative of what they are doing. Yeah MS we're reallllllly appreciative of some half-a$$ed thinking. Great job.

According to Engadet, Canada will have support, as long as it's English. So it has nothing to do with any laws, just stupid media and/or MS Press releases.
Whomever sourced that initial story didn't get the right info from Microsoft. The only think not coming to Canada is French Voice control.

Symmetric-XBA
09-02-2010, 10:13 AM
MS has come clean to announce that Canadian english will be supported at launch time. Apparently a spanish MS rep informed a spanish version of eurogamer about canada not supported at launch, however, this has been debunked by MS themselves. Looks like that spanish rep may not have a job for too long lol.

Variation-XBA
09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
my pants just got a little tighter

sw0rdfish-XBA
09-02-2010, 11:52 AM
MS has come clean to announce that Canadian english will be supported at launch time. Apparently a spanish MS rep informed a spanish version of eurogamer about canada not supported at launch, however, this has been debunked by MS themselves. Looks like that spanish rep may not have a job for too long lol.

:watchout:

Ainokeatoo
09-02-2010, 04:37 PM

:( Aw darn lol.

Variation-XBA
09-02-2010, 05:53 PM
:( Aw darn lol.

Shush you!!!

MoonTar
09-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Wonder what makes American English.......................American. :watchout:

Ainokeatoo
09-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Shush you!!!

LOL You dodged the six month teasing by a hair :p

RalliArtEvo
09-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Wonder what makes American English.......................American. :watchout:

slang words have different meaning in usa compared to britain would be my guess.

Symmetric-XBA
09-02-2010, 11:35 PM
slang words have different meaning in usa compared to britain would be my guess.

Totally. When I was in the UK people would ask me if they could "bum a ***" (its just their slang word for a cig). Obv. here in the states that would send someone ballistic w/ pr hisses

MoonTar
09-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Totally. When I was in the UK people would ask me if they could "bum a ***" (its just their slang word for a cig). Obv. here in the states that would send someone ballistic w/ pr hisses

Yeah, people in American would definitely take that the wrong way.:rofl: