PDA

View Full Version : Alan Wake 2?

Symmetric-XBA
09-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Recently there has been talk about Alan Wake 2, however, nothing confirmed (but yet tons and tons of chatter about it).

Remedy chats up about a sequel. (http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/10530/Remedy-Chats-Alan-Wake-2.html)

Me personally? I just got done playing Alan Wake all the way through and I have to say I was incredibly disappointed with the game, so much so that it was a struggle for me just to complete the 2nd half of it. Don't get me started on what I hate about the game b/c it will literally be 3 pages of faults and b.s. that I experienced in the game. Now that its finished I've only got a few achv to go b4 I can put this game away for good and never play this again. Oh how I wish I could have a little chat w/ Remedy b/c I personally thought that Alan Wake was f'ing garbage. I saw that it got a rating over 90% and I would struggle to give it above 70%.

Unreal
09-03-2010, 06:39 AM
I am sad you feel that way. I loved the game and the first DLC that was released. :cry:

Variation-XBA
09-03-2010, 06:43 AM
COMPLETELY dissagree with you, I thought it was brilliant and absolutely loved every second of it. I would have given it at least a 90 if I was reviewing it (but Alx stole it!). I can't wait for more DLC to tide me over until 2 (hopefully)

Unreal
09-03-2010, 07:23 AM
COMPLETELY dissagree with you, I thought it was brilliant and absolutely loved every second of it. I would have given it at least a 90 if I was reviewing it (but Alx stole it!). I can't wait for more DLC to tide me over until 2 (hopefully)
The Writer is suppose to be out this month. That will be DLC number two. Rumor has it one more will release before the end of the year. Then its Alan Wake 2 :D I can't wait.

FrankForce77
09-03-2010, 09:01 AM
I am very interested in playing Alan Wake because it's something different other than shoot, kill & die over and over again LOL. I hope it stays XBOX 360 exclusive as well!

Symmetric-XBA
09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I am sad you feel that way. I loved the game and the first DLC that was released. :cry:

I agree w/ ya, I'm sad as well about this game. I didn't enjoy the gameplay mechanics at all. I felt that the character development was poor. It never was scary or suspensful. The background graphics were good, however I hated the blurring effect you got when you turned the camera. Its just my opinion but unf. I guess I'm part of a minority that was very disappointed w/ it. :(

If I were to change things it would most likely be the character development. To create a proper villain in a suspensful horror game you need to do one of two things:

1) hint towards the characteristics of the main villain, however, do not let on as to who the villain is until the end to give gamers that "shock" feeling. This way we have no idea who it is until the ending and we are given the feeling of "omg wtf is going on?!?!" (ie: bioshock w/ atlas)

2) let the gamer know who the main villain is right out of the blue and devote a lot of effort to the exposure of the background and every characteristic of it, that way you bring gamers a sense of "oh i can't wait to destroy this".

I hated to know that the main villain was introduced so early on into the game w/ such an obv. scene. Then the whole rest of the game to me was "oh look, here it goes again".

The second thing I'd improve was the suspense of the game. Its hard to create a horror game when you see what is coming at you and from what direction. There wasn't one moment that scared me as much as any moment in Dead Space, so for that reason I felt the game went flat (which is a big disappointment b/c its the backbone of the title).

There's more to it, but I'm just gonna stop now. Its just my opinion and I'm upset that it has to be this way b/c I did have high hopes for this title, but in the end, to me it was a mammoth disappointment.

RalliArtEvo
09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I have a few thoeries that possibly contributed to you not liking the game Sym. First, you played the game with a guide in your lap, that kind of takes away any "suspense" or sense of wonder when you're looking at a guide that tells you what to do and where stuff is. Second, you were playing with someone in private chat. Its a little difficult to get into a heavy narrative game when you have a headset on with someone else talking to you, giving you ideas about the plot or asking where stuff is etc. Third, you played the game on normal, you should have at least played on hard to have a real challenge and more of the dread that comes with it, normal is WAY too easy.

The game is a psychological thriller, not a horror game like dead space, so that's really not a good comparison at all. I'm gotta ask, what exactly was your problem with the character development or storyline?

Symmetric-XBA
09-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I have a few thoeries that possibly contributed to you not liking the game Sym. First, you played the game with a guide in your lap, that kind of takes away any "suspense" or sense of wonder when you're looking at a guide that tells you what to do and where stuff is. Second, you were playing with someone in private chat. Its a little difficult to get into a heavy narrative game when you have a headset on with someone else talking to you, giving you ideas about the plot or asking where stuff is etc. Third, you played the game on normal, you should have at least played on hard to have a real challenge and more of the dread that comes with it, normal is WAY too easy.

The game is a psychological thriller, not a horror game like dead space, so that's really not a good comparison at all. I'm gotta ask, what exactly was your problem with the character development or storyline?

About the whole "suspense" issue. I was disappointed b/c it takes away the whole feeling of suspense when you see the camera pull back and pan out to a direction where your enemies attack. If they didn't do that, it would add a lot more of the "suspense" feel b/c you would have no idea where enemies were coming from. The reason I implied the dead space comparison is because Alan Wake never gave me a "holy ****" moment, and its supposed to have elements of fear and make you scared in parts. For me that was a major let down b/c I thought they could have done a lot better job, esp. w/ the time they had to work on the game. If you want to build suspense, then you need to cut the audio out and focus mainly on the ambient sounds created by your environment and the enemies you face. I found none of that in this game. No suspense = Alan Wake, and thats a big disappointment, esp. when the title is based w/ suspense being a major factor of it. Guide or no guide, that doesn't change the fact that the game didn't provide any form of suspense or horror to me. I understand your point that by playing through the game on a harder diff. allows me a better challenge, but that doesn't add any suspense at all for me, instead it just simply means it takes more shots to bring your enemies down.

As far as the character development, I thought it was incredibly poor esp. with regards to the main boss. When you have a game where you find out who the main boss is so early on, to me was a major let down. With sparradic touches on a brief history being all that is offered, it didn't give me a sense of understanding of the character. To do a proper character development you have to include a ton of information so that way the gamer can get a true sense of who this character is, their motives, their desires, etc.. Never once did I get a sense of "ohhhh dam thats a mean and dark s.o.b." All I took away from it was "oh look, there's the main boss that I'll fight at the end, woopie." and throughout the game the development was poor (imo). Its a shame to b/c I had high hopes for this game, now I'm sad I even put this in my system.

Edit: The guide that I did use did not include any storyline spoilers, and I was thankful for that, however, that doesn't change the fact that there was little to no suspense created by the title.

Symmetrics Love
09-05-2010, 01:09 PM
I can't wait for this title.... I LOVED the first one!