PDA

View Full Version : Who is getting Kinect?

Shawn-XBA
09-28-2010, 01:19 PM
I have decided to purchase it after doing some research, I have ordered the bundle on Amazon. If anyone is interested, here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O6JLZ2/ref=oss_product

I am getting only Kinect Adventures for right now because it is in the bundle, I won't be ordering any of the other games until the reviews start coming out.

So who here is getting Kinect, and what games are you picking up?

Steeps5
09-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Nope, too expensive for me.

biggav4000
09-28-2010, 02:09 PM
I will be getting it with joyride and dance central to start with,but its not released in the uk till 6 days after the us launch.:cool:

Shawn-XBA
09-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I will be getting it with joyride and dance central to start with,but its not released in the uk till 6 days after the us launch.:cool:
You'll have to let me know how both of those are, I was thinking about getting Joyride, it looks pretty good.

Vampero
09-28-2010, 03:26 PM
I will be getting it..:cool:

Symmetric-XBA
09-28-2010, 04:16 PM
i've got a bundle on pre-order at gamestop. I'm skeptical though after seeing how ms is relatively demanding gamers to have an almost "direct kinect" area. There are other issues i'm a little wary on, but I'll just have to wait for the release to see how it pans out. i'm hoping that these new titles that have been announced will add some more depth to the lineup instead of just a bunch of fluff.

MoonTar
09-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm not getting it until they come out with more games for it. Right now it just reminds me of the Wii, and I already have one of those. :rolleyes:

Variation-XBA
09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Getting it day 1 with Dance Central, one fo teh fitness games, and either Kinectimals or Joyride

Helidriver
09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
I'll get it but not right away.

mattgame
09-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Maybe for chirstmas. Funds are tight right now.

Shawn-XBA
09-28-2010, 10:32 PM
For anyone with wives, they are making Zumba into a game. From what I have heard Zumba is one of the funnest workout routines.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/splash/z/zumbafitness/

-------

Vamp - What games will you be picking up with it?

MoonTar - I have the same thought as you, it doesn't really have any launch games that are "must have". Most of them are geared towards family and kids, which isn't a bad thing. Just not quite for me. I am getting it day one anyway, as I always try to have the latest stuff when it comes to the Xbox.

RalliArtEvo
09-28-2010, 10:34 PM
absolutely NOT. The games look terrible and I'm a little suprised some of you are jumping right in so quickly with what they've shown so far. (If you have a wife and/or kids then thats understandable). I predict that after a few days of playing, we'll have a lot of dissapointed people posting about how they regret wasting so much money to jump around in their living room. None of what they've shown for release looks interesting at all and the future doesn't look that great either.

To the people mentioning joy ride or kinectimals.....REALLY? Are you 10 year old girls or something? Dropping $200+ to pet a virtual tiger or move your hands back and forth to pretend like you're driving makes me laugh at how ridiculous that sounds for anybody over the age of 12. Turn your gamercard in and hang your head in shame if you fall into this category.

MoonTar
09-28-2010, 10:55 PM
absolutely NOT. The games look terrible and I'm a little suprised some of you are jumping right in so quickly with what they've shown so far. (If you have a wife and/or kids then thats understandable). I predict that after a few days of playing, we'll have a lot of dissapointed people posting about how they regret wasting so much money to jump around in their living room. None of what they've shown for release looks interesting at all and the future doesn't look that great either.

To the people mentioning joy ride or kinectimals.....REALLY? Are you 10 year old girls or something? Dropping $200+ to pet a virtual tiger or move your hands back and forth to pretend like you're driving makes me laugh at how ridiculous that sounds for anybody over the age of 12. Turn your gamercard in and hang your head in shame if you fall into this category.

It's more of a family thing, M$ is pretty much trying to draw people away from the Wii. Right now (IMO) the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't scream "family" and this is M$ way to fix that.................................well not for the PS3 :rolleyes:.

To bad I can't just mod my Wii so I can plug it into my 360. ;)

RalliArtEvo
09-28-2010, 11:30 PM
It's more of a family thing, M$ is pretty much trying to draw people away from the Wii. Right now (IMO) the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't scream "family" and this is M$ way to fix that.................................well not for the PS3 :rolleyes:.

To bad I can't just mod my Wii so I can plug it into my 360. ;)

i know exactly what they are trying to do with kinect, I was commenting more on some of the users here.

I still have heavy doubts about this really being all that successful long term. I'm sure over christmas it will move units, but long term I just don't see this suddenly making the 360 the family console of choice. Nintendo is just too much of a household name with the Wii/DS for anyone to challenge them in the family market. I could be proven wrong, but add-ons have historically never done well.

Variation-XBA
09-29-2010, 12:40 AM
None of what they've shown for release looks interesting at all and the future doesn't look that great either.

I've already had hands on, so I'm not going by here say and guessing like everyone else

That's a pretty ignorant statement.... So people that don't just play Halo/Gears/killing stuff shouldn't enjoy different types of games? you're kidding right? I'm a hardcore gamer and I'll be enjoying my pet tiger just fine :p

Ainokeatoo
09-29-2010, 01:01 AM
i know exactly what they are trying to do with kinect, I was commenting more on some of the users here.

I still have heavy doubts about this really being all that successful long term. I'm sure over christmas it will move units, but long term I just don't see this suddenly making the 360 the family console of choice. Nintendo is just too much of a household name with the Wii/DS for anyone to challenge them in the family market. I could be proven wrong, but add-ons have historically never done well.

No add-ons have had advances with 1 for 1 infrared camera's. While Nintendo is a household name, the Wii's technology is incredibly obsolete compared to these new generation type of controllers. Sure the 360 and PS3 won't magically turn into family oriented consoles, but it will bring out a new side of both.

Also, keep in mind, the few people who will and have said they will, purchase the add on, have wives that game every now and then but aren't huge gamers. Some even have younger children.

RalliArtEvo
09-29-2010, 02:10 AM
No add-ons have had advances with 1 for 1 infrared camera's. While Nintendo is a household name, the Wii's technology is incredibly obsolete compared to these new generation type of controllers. Sure the 360 and PS3 won't magically turn into family oriented consoles, but it will bring out a new side of both.

Also, keep in mind, the few people who will and have said they will, purchase the add on, have wives that game every now and then but aren't huge gamers. Some even have younger children.

What is the big seller that the masses are gonna have to have with either kinect or move? Almost all of Nintendo's big franchise's are instantly recognizable and proven system sellers. The launch lineup for kinect has nothing like that outside of the dance game that everybody wants (but will probably play once or twice, then realize how lame it is actually dancing by yourself in front of a tv)

Further, the Wii has already captured that market. In terms of mainstream marketshare, do you truly believe in kinect enough to be a success in that context? I don't see that happening this generation. Perhaps next gen when kinect is integrated with the system from day one, but I don't see an add-on boosting the sales of the 360 suddenly up to the Wii's level in overall sales.

The Wii as a system has been a HUGE success, far beyond what anyone (even Nintendo) would have dreamed back when they announced it. But the numbers don't lie, the Wii crowd doesn't buy many games outside of Nintendo developed titles. Microsoft has gutted almost all of their 1st and 2nd party teams and seem to be focusing mainly on making me too type wii games (pretty much ruining the Rare that I used to know and love) So who exactly is going to develop this MUST HAVE title that is gonna have kinect and 360's flying off the shelves like the Wii and mario do?

Don't get me wrong, the technology, for the most part, is very interesting and impressive. But I don't care about that nearly as much as what I'll be playing on it. And so far all they've shown me is wii-too titles and a few teasers that aren't even actual gameplay. In the end, these are just my opinions, I could be totally wrong and it will be a huge success.

Ainokeatoo
09-29-2010, 03:49 AM
What is the big seller that the masses are gonna have to have with either kinect or move? Almost all of Nintendo's big franchise's are instantly recognizable and proven system sellers. The launch lineup for kinect has nothing like that outside of the dance game that everybody wants (but will probably play once or twice, then realize how lame it is actually dancing by yourself in front of a tv)

Kinect isn't a system, it's an add-on, and Microsoft hasn't been in the game industry long enough to have many franchise's, and even less in the same audience Nintendo has they have to create them which I do believe Kinect will help them do. Besides, I don't see a difference between Dance Central and Dance Dance Revolution, except with the former you learn something other than to look like some lunatic hopping around.

Further, the Wii has already captured that market. In terms of mainstream marketshare, do you truly believe in kinect enough to be a success in that context? I don't see that happening this generation. Perhaps next gen when kinect is integrated with the system from day one, but I don't see an add-on boosting the sales of the 360 suddenly up to the Wii's level in overall sales.

It doesn't have to be, the PSP can't compete with the DS but it is a good enough hand held on it's own that people still purchase it. Kinect doesn't have to rule the market or directly on the same level, compete with the Wii. It's just an option to expand the range of what the 360 offers.

The Wii as a system has been a HUGE success, far beyond what anyone (even Nintendo) would have dreamed back when they announced it. But the numbers don't lie, the Wii crowd doesn't buy many games outside of Nintendo developed titles. Microsoft has gutted almost all of their 1st and 2nd party teams and seem to be focusing mainly on making me too type wii games (pretty much ruining the Rare that I used to know and love) So who exactly is going to develop this MUST HAVE title that is gonna have kinect and 360's flying off the shelves like the Wii and mario do?

You're comparing an add-on to an entire console, it's two completely different things, if the 360 was made to function completely through Kinect, it would be one thing, but it's not. Kinect is an accessory people can use to play certain games in a unique way.

Don't get me wrong, the technology, for the most part, is very interesting and impressive. But I don't care about that nearly as much as what I'll be playing on it. And so far all they've shown me is wii-too titles and a few teasers that aren't even actual gameplay. In the end, these are just my opinions, I could be totally wrong and it will be a huge success.

Yes, what did you really expect though with their line up? They need to establish a base before they shoot off and launch an expensive product. Most of the Hardcore players won't buy a gimmick at launch. So they have to make launch titles geared towards a casual audience, even if that means wii like games.

RalliArtEvo
09-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Kinect isn't a system, it's an add-on, and Microsoft hasn't been in the game industry long enough to have many franchise's, and even less in the same audience Nintendo has they have to create them which I do believe Kinect will help them do. Besides, I don't see a difference between Dance Central and Dance Dance Revolution, except with the former you learn something other than to look like some lunatic hopping around.

It doesn't have to be, the PSP can't compete with the DS but it is a good enough hand held on it's own that people still purchase it. Kinect doesn't have to rule the market or directly on the same level, compete with the Wii. It's just an option to expand the range of what the 360 offers.

You're comparing an add-on to an entire console, it's two completely different things, if the 360 was made to function completely through Kinect, it would be one thing, but it's not. Kinect is an accessory people can use to play certain games in a unique way.

Yes, what did you really expect though with their line up? They need to establish a base before they shoot off and launch an expensive product. Most of the Hardcore players won't buy a gimmick at launch. So they have to make launch titles geared towards a casual audience, even if that means wii like games.

which is exacly why, imo, it has a good chance at failing. Microsoft doesn't have the first or second party devs that can make a system seller game anymore. So in the end we'll most likely end up with a bunch of dance and sport compilation games that will be developed for both the move controller and kinect. I don't see kinect being successful long term because they won't have the games to support it. What makes you think that people will suddenly abandon their "obsolete" (your word) wii for kinect? what does it do that's so different other than a lack of controller? If the games are the same, its gonna stagnate software sales, just like the wii. Difference being, in this case its an add-on which MS can easily abandon if it doesn't pan out.

RalliArtEvo
09-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I've already had hands on, so I'm not going by here say and guessing like everyone else

That's a pretty ignorant statement.... So people that don't just play Halo/Gears/killing stuff shouldn't enjoy different types of games? you're kidding right? I'm a hardcore gamer and I'll be enjoying my pet tiger just fine :p

its hearsay, what you said doesn't make sense in that context.

Second, I'm not guessing about the lineup. They have already announced it and shown the games. how is that guessing? I don't enjoy dancing in clubs, so why would I be excited to do it alone in front of a tv? Joy ride only allows you to steer left and right and pushing forward for speed boost. There is no gas or brakes, so as a gamer that sounds incredibly lame. Kinectimals is marketed towards young girls, nuff said.

To your second comment, I said nothing of the sort that you have to be "killing things" to enjoy gaming or be considered "hardcore". I enjoy a wide variety of games that aren't halo/gears/killing things. But if you seriously feel that kinectimals is worth your money, then more power to you. However, you are in the VAST minority of male gamers over the age of 8 who would actually play something like that. To me its the equivalent of playing barbie horse adventure or hannah montana, its simply not made for the normal xbox crowd.

Symmetric-XBA
09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
With the titles that I've seen and experienced first hand, kinect is slated to be a success imo. Yes ms has announced the lineup for launch titles, however, if you want to truly make something worthwhile, then you have to think long term. Think big picture here. Sure you may feel that someone who buys joyride and similar launch titles to be a young girl, or an immature little boy, and good for you on that. However, there is so much more that kinect can offer, just focusing on the games is a little narrow minded in your aspect of kinect. Of course gaming is one of the main applications and principles of kinect, however, its not its sole function or feature. There are other aspects as well of kinect that will help sustain the 360 for another 3-5 years depending on the games released for kinect. I've noticed a lot of critique about games that haven't even been launched yet, and claims about how its all wii rip off titles, and that nothing is slated that will bring in the hardcore dollars, however.... There are more mature titles that have been announced such as MMA, fighting games, and more to help bring in the more hardcore crowd. How these will translate into software interaction has yet to be determined, but to think MS would spend so much money (not only in the development and obtaining the technology, but also to market the product, launch the product, and most importantly support the product,) is very short sided. Granted Ralli, you may not have need, nor want any of the features that kinect offers, and thats fine. Keep your opinion, however, there is so much more to it than you've talked about. Remember that there is a bigger corp. picture here and that is the one that will determine whether or not Kinect has failed, not your opinion on games that haven't been released.

Symmetric-XBA
09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
which is exacly why, imo, it has a good chance at failing. Microsoft doesn't have the first or second party devs that can make a system seller game anymore. So in the end we'll most likely end up with a bunch of dance and sport compilation games that will be developed for both the move controller and kinect. I don't see kinect being successful long term because they won't have the games to support it. What makes you think that people will suddenly abandon their "obsolete" (your word) wii for kinect? what does it do that's so different other than a lack of controller? If the games are the same, its gonna stagnate software sales, just like the wii. Difference being, in this case its an add-on which MS can easily abandon if it doesn't pan out.

On the contrary, you will have a lot more than this short sided view of the games for kinect. If you say that kinect is not going to be successful long term, you must have some inate ability to forsee upcoming fiscal year turnouts for MS. If thats the case, what are you doing here? You should be getting a job and make millions in the finance markets. Statements like that just go to show that you truly don't see the big picture, but thats ok. Other titles will come in time, and more and more applications will be developed for its use, however, to claim your thoughts of the games coming out to be all dance/sport related is very narrow minded. We get it, you don't like kinect. great.

Variation-XBA
09-29-2010, 04:13 PM
its hearsay, what you said doesn't make sense in that context.
What's heresay? I've played Kinect already and had it in my place to test it out.

Second, I'm not guessing about the lineup. They have already announced it and shown the games. how is that guessing? I don't enjoy dancing in clubs, so why would I be excited to do it alone in front of a tv? Joy ride only allows you to steer left and right and pushing forward for speed boost. There is no gas or brakes, so as a gamer that sounds incredibly lame. Kinectimals is marketed towards young girls, nuff said.

so because you aren't interested in a game and it's lame to you, everyone else that likes it or wants to play it is as well? you've played some terrible games on your profile; do you see me calling you lame or that you should hang in your gamecard because of it? No.

But if you seriously feel that kinectimals is worth your money, then more power to you. However, you are in the VAST minority of male gamers over the age of 8 who would actually play something like that. To me its the equivalent of playing barbie horse adventure or hannah montana, its simply not made for the normal xbox crowd.

:rofl: there you go stereotyping again. But hey, whatever. I guess cause I played Kinectimals and liked it, I'm not longer worthy of my xbox

;)

Ainokeatoo
09-29-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm not longer worthy of my xbox

Yes, go play your PS3, PS3 lover.

Lol, yeah I didn't read the rest of the thread after I saw that.

RalliArtEvo
09-29-2010, 10:41 PM
On the contrary, you will have a lot more than this short sided view of the games for kinect. If you say that kinect is not going to be successful long term, you must have some inate ability to forsee upcoming fiscal year turnouts for MS. If thats the case, what are you doing here? You should be getting a job and make millions in the finance markets. Statements like that just go to show that you truly don't see the big picture, but thats ok. Other titles will come in time, and more and more applications will be developed for its use, however, to claim your thoughts of the games coming out to be all dance/sport related is very narrow minded. We get it, you don't like kinect. great.

When did I ever once say that kinect WILL fail and there is no doubt about that happening? I even put that its just my opinion and I could be wrong at the end of one of my posts. Its also funny that in your first post in this very thread you expressed concerns about kinect as well.....

There is nothing short sighted about my views as many other legitimate gaming sites have expressed similar concerns as mine. You keep mentioning these other amazing features, but have yet to go into what exactly they are. So you can navigate menu's without a controller, that's kinda cool I'll admit, but not something I desperately need kinect for and not something that's gonna push people to have one. Video chat is something that is also interesting, but you can already do that with the vision camera. So what are all these other amazing features you keep touting that people will rush out to buy one for?

Second, lets take a look at these so called "hardcore games" you mentioned.
Fighters uncaged has been recieving bad press so far, here's a direct quote from Joystiq...

"The input delay and canned animations for each of these moves detract heavily from the feeling of being in control of a true bad-ass street fighter. Compared to the tightness and immediacy of The Fight (PS3), or even the frenetic randomness of Wii Sports boxing, Fighters Uncaged just feels slow and messy"

Here's another quote from destructiod yesterday saying how people prefered the gamepad over using kinect for Child of Eden....

"Kinect effectively ruined my experience with Child of Eden. It was a great idea in theory -- play a shooter where you aim with your hands, change weapons by clapping, and launch bombs by stretching both arms in the air. I would have loved that. It could have been total body immersion into the game world. What I got instead was a total backfire. As it turns out, it was poorly implemented, full body-only work that made the player constantly aware of their body and the frustrated in their attempts to interact with the game world. It's the opposite of immersion. I'm still definitely going to buy Child of Eden, but I'll be using the standard analog pad controls, or maybe the PS Move control scheme, assuming they aren't also broken. Unless there are some serious changes prior to release, I wont be touching the game's Kinect controls with a ten-foot pole."

So far it doesn't sound all that promising for these titles that are supposed to attract the "hardcore" to kinect. Truth is, the fighting game is being made by an unproven team at ubisoft and while child of eden looks great, Rez wasn't exactly a big system seller, so what makes you think that this one will be?

You all are taking legitimate concerns I've made about kinect and making me sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about and making me out to be a flat out hater. I think Kinect has a lot of potential, but right now I just don't see any reason to spend $150+ on something that might end up a major failure.

RalliArtEvo
09-29-2010, 10:50 PM
What's heresay? I've played Kinect already and had it in my place to test it out.

again, you spelled it wrong, it's hearsay, not here say or heresay.

The OP asked if we were getting kinect and I gave my opinion. Isn't that the point of a message board or should I just post one word answers with no thought or opinion?

Variation-XBA
09-29-2010, 11:28 PM
again, you spelled it wrong, it's hearsay, not here say or heresay.

The OP asked if we were getting kinect and I gave my opinion. Isn't that the point of a message board or should I just post one word answers with no thought or opinion?

wow, you have to go on about spellng mistakes to get another say in?

You're welcome to your opinion, like i am as well, hence my reples.

mattgame
09-30-2010, 05:38 PM

I like this young man...............:cheers:

Nato King
10-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes I will be get it. I might per-order it.

12buckmafia-XBA
10-09-2010, 05:35 AM
Pass.

It'll just collect dust along with all the other gimmicky stuff we have in the household that we don't play

-Dance Dance Revolution Universe
-You're in the Movies
-DJ Hero
-Guitar Hero
-Wii :p

(I left Scene It out of this because that's the one peripheral thing we occasionally play with.)

I'm also not a big fan of the amount of noise it's going to cause by people running on the spot, jumping and so on...not to mention, I crashed one of the UBISoft games at PAX because it was incapable of measuring from anything but the perfect distance, and crashed Kinect Adventures because I made it think too much...three times :nightmare

I'm not going to jump to ridiculous extremes and claim owning one of these is emasculating or a waste of money, but I just haven't bought into the hype and been convinced as to why I should own one of these. I, however, also am not in the demographic the Kinect is attempting to reach, so I don't see it as a family fun system or a must have holiday hit this season. I think it's a great idea for a family with young children (those who fall into the same demographic that enjoy Barbie Horse Adventures or Hannah Montana :rolleyes: ) and those that like concept gaming and want to try something new, but at this point and time, it feels to me to innovative gaming what the Segway was for innovative transportation overall.

thAshAdyOne
10-10-2010, 03:06 PM
I'll probably get the bundle with the 250 gb HDD console since my Xbox red ringed on me. It'll come with Kinect Adventures and I'll probably pick up JoyRide eventually...Its more the capabilities with the dashboard that I'm getting the Kinect for, not really the launch games.

Dr_J
10-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Already have it pre-ordered.

I will pick it up with my new XBox Slim.

Timmy Bauer
10-15-2010, 03:14 PM
I'll get it on day one!:cool:

I've tried it and I love it. I'm a litte too old for jumping and sweating in front of my tv, but it's the fun that matters in the end.
(probably I'll die of heart attack playing it, but life is short ayway, and dying with a smile could be a good thing!!:yikes:)

mattgame
10-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Come back Ralliiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crying:

RalliArtEvo
10-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Come back Ralliiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crying:

LoL I'm still here, I really have nothing to add at this point without upsetting more people. Once everyone gets over the newness of Kinect, I'll bet anything after a few months people will be complaining about lack of titles and how thier kinect is gathering dust, there's only so much fun to be had from dancing and workout games :p

SpaceGhost2K
10-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Destructoid: "Kinect effectively ruined my experience with Child of Eden. It was a great idea in theory -- play a shooter where you aim with your hands, change weapons by clapping, and launch bombs by stretching both arms in the air. I would have loved that. It could have been total body immersion into the game world. What I got instead was a total backfire. As it turns out, it was poorly implemented, full body-only work that made the player constantly aware of their body and the frustrated in their attempts to interact with the game world. It's the opposite of immersion. I'm still definitely going to buy Child of Eden, but I'll be using the standard analog pad controls, or maybe the PS Move control scheme, assuming they aren't also broken. Unless there are some serious changes prior to release, I wont be touching the game's Kinect controls with a ten-foot pole."

Whoever wrote this did his readers a disservice because he's treating Child of Eden like it's coming out next week. The thing is in Alpha, or even pre-Alpha. They don't have a HUD yet. They don't know if they will track score through points or levels or missions. They don't know if you will "die" or lose points and keep playing. All this thing has right now is a name and some graphics, and this guy is dismissing Kinect already? I mean, Kinect SOFTWARE to run the sensor isn't even done.

Kinect will be on Oprah on Tuesday. Stores are already selling out of their preorders. If you don't have one preordered now, you may have trouble getting one at launch, and if you want after Tuesday, you might as well forget it. MAYBE you'll snag one before Christmas. I wouldn't bet Christmas on it.

Dance Central is solid. It only ships with 32 songs/routines, but it's also only $49 and there will be DLC almost immediately.

Your Shape can be "played" forever, for $49.

Future games will get more imaginative as devs have time to spend with the device. You can't hand a guy a paintbrush and expect his first painting to be a Renoir. Some of these guys will NEVER be able to paint a Renoir, but many of them will.

Here's my theory on Kinect, and gaming in general: Don't buy things in anticipation of stuff coming out. When the game you want for Kinect is out, THEN go buy Kinect.

MoonTar
10-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Here's my theory on Kinect, and gaming in general: Don't buy things in anticipation of stuff coming out. When the game you want for Kinect is out, THEN go buy Kinect.

This. It's not like Kinect is only going to ever have just the launch games. That's just silly.

RalliArtEvo
10-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Future games will get more imaginative as devs have time to spend with the device. You can't hand a guy a paintbrush and expect his first painting to be a Renoir. Some of these guys will NEVER be able to paint a Renoir, but many of them will.

I agree with what you've said here, but my fear for "the future" of Kinect is high quality AAA titles. Who exactly is going to build these amazing exclusive game's for kinect? Microsoft has not really been know for great first party titles outside of Halo, but Bungie is gone. Rare hasn't made anything outside of Viva Pinata, Banjo Kazooie and designing the avatars in the past 3 years and now have been reduced to making WII-Too games for Kinect. I have no confidence in Rare as a quality developer that can produce AAA titles anymore, the Stamper brothers were the heart and soul of that company and since they left in '07, Rare is a shell of its former self. Lionhead studios is probably that last proven talent left at MGS, but we all know that Peter Molyneaux talks a big game, but rarely delivers on half of what he says. That being said, they are the only group at MGS I have any confidence at making a GREAT Kinect title.

Third party exclusives are becoming pretty rare these days and with Kinect you also have to consider that it will naturally split the market for the 360, those that have it and those that don't. This is inherently the problem that add-ons run into, they don't sell nearly to the overall base of users and most publishers want to make their big hits for the largest audience possible. I think that we'll possibly see ports of titles from move or visa-versa, but that could water down the overall experience for one or both move and kinect users. Its a big risk to take and based on what Microsoft is showing themselves as well as the third party games at launch, they are ALL taking the safe route with numerous Wii/eyetoy/move clones.

In the end it's still just my own personal opinion and most of the comments I've made in this thread are more out of jest than anything else. But I still feel that for MOST hardcore gamers, kinect will be a relative waste of time and I'm not sold on Microsoft TRULY committing to giving us a AAA game. I think for the most part it'll be like the Wii, the party/sports compilation/workout/dance games will sell big until the market is saturated and people won't buy as much software. Problem that Microsoft runs into is what I detailed above, no one to make high quality, recognizable first party games like Nintendo can and third parties (probably) won't want to take that big a risk to go all out on a Kinect exclusive without $$$ from MS (which is the only way I see this happening).

I'm pretty positive that this holiday season Kinect will be a hot item, but the key for Microsoft is if they can sustain that for the next few years. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that it COULD bomb though. The Wii has a large portion of the casual market already and MS is banking on converting those same people to drop $300+ on ANOTHER system that does the same stuff, just without a controller (speaking from the target market here, not people like us who know the ins and outs) Only time will tell how this all plays out, but I certainly love speculating about it! :hardcore:

SpaceGhost2K
10-18-2010, 04:08 AM
I won't quote your whole thing, Ralli, just know I'm responding to you.

The devs working on Kinect games are responsible for 70% of all video game sales. Most of the 30% that aren't do Nintendo and PS3 games. Do the math. Virtually every developer worth mentioning is working on games for Kinect. In that sense, Kinect is being treated like its own console. In fact, in almost every sense, the release of Kinect is like the release of the Xbox 720, except that we'll be able to upgrade to it instead of having to start over.

There is no justification for the belief that this will fail. None. Absolutely won't happen. Preorders are a good predictor. Preorders are sold out. Developer interest is a good indicator. Developers are on board, in a HUGE way. Consumer interest, especially after direct exposure which leads to word of mouth, is a good indicator. Word of mouth is off the chart. Public Exposure is a good indicator. Kinect has been on Jimmy Fallon, Good Morning America, Entourage, Smallville, and on Tuesday, Oprah - the marketing monster herself.

There are some people who don't play anything but first person shooters. There may not EVER be anything for them on Kinect. There will eventually be games that don't fit into an existing genre of FPS, TPS, RTS, RPG, WRPG, JRPG, racing, sports, etc. Remember when there were no first person shooters? I do. Remember when there were no animations at all? I do.

Concerning your remark about Kinectimals and 10 year old girls, I will just bite my tongue and say that I had more fun with Viva Pinata than almost any game this gen. Checkers isn't Halo, but I can sit down and play a game of checkers. I can sit down with my daughter and play Candy Land. I'd play iDOLM@STER if I could. The nice thing about video games is, the console doesn't judge you, even if some ****y forumite does.

I'll add this then I have to get to bed. You don't think Kinect will have AAA games. I'm telling you now, it will have two on Day One: Dance Central and Your Shape. If, by "AAA" you mean games that are "AAA" for YOU, no, it may never have those. You probably don't consider Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy or Wii Fit "AAA" either, but they are.

RalliArtEvo
10-18-2010, 05:32 AM
oh really? where exactly is it "sold out" cause I just looked at three different web-sites offering to take my money to preorder kinect with or without a slim. I know all about the jimmy fallon show and oprah etc, just because you spend millions and millions on marketing doesn't necessarily equal a guaranteed success.

I don't get the FPS comments either, I can guarantee that I've played more genres and games on 360 than anyone on this entire site and have been gaming since the beginning of the NES era, so don't even try and suggest I'm some dude-bro or something who plays nothing but call of duty or halo all day.

Viva Pinata didn't sell that well and the sequal totally bombed, despite Microsoft trying to make a brand out of it with cartoons, books and games. Also, please show me in my post where I said Viva Pinata was a horrible game.....it came out in 2006 and I said in my post that since the Stamper bros left in '07, Rare hasn't really done much of anything. Oh and I did enjoy VP btw...

You are speculating just as much as I am that Kinect will be any sort of massive success over the next few years, or if it will become mostly shovelware. You claim that the devs are interested, but that's neither here nor there until they actually show us something outside of wii-too titles.

in fact here is a quote from the THQ CEO to investors, who has said they will support Kinect

“There are more mass market type games, so the costs of games for Kinect and Move are a fraction of the games we showed you on the screen,” Farrell told investors.

“They’re just simpler forms of game, based on your movement and the input device and not on fantastic art and complex animations and backgrounds, that’s the other reason we like those two products, because the development costs are much lower than they are for the other core products.”

So what he is basically saying is, its cheaper to make games that are more about motion than about the art and fancy graphics. Then later he goes on to say that THQ is investing a lot of money in a big game to be released in march for kinect, move and wii. So like I said, we will most likely be getting ports and not true exclusive titles made with only kinect in mind since its more cost effective to do games for all three (or at least the HD consoles)

I've said it before but apparently I need to say it again, I'm not claiming that Kinect will sell nothing and be DOA, I'm thinking long term looking at the reality that add-ons haven't EVER worked in the history of gaming because it splits the market. Unless Kinect is at least 40-50% of the total xbox's sold, do you really think publishers are gonna sink a lot of money to make a Kinect only title when they can make one that either A. works on move, wii and kinect like THQ is stating or B. make a title that ALL 360 users can enjoy.

The ball is in the Developers/publishers court to deliver the titles that MOST gamers are looking for and so far I'm seeing just as much negative reaction as I see people that are truly excited for it. Until the developers can show they want to truly push kinect to the limits, we have no idea what kind of games we'll actually get. Big things were also promised for the wii, yet most devs outside of Nintendo made waggle games and didn't use the IR. You also listed some of the BEST Wii games that.....Nintendo made. So once again, who at MGS will be delivering mario calibur titles?

Variation-XBA
10-18-2010, 11:06 AM
I've shown it off to about a hundred people and there's been no real bad feedback once they get their hands on it (or...not on it...whatever).

Spacey already told you there is going to be AAA titles for it (dance/fit) but you aren't taking those answers or don't want to to prove a point or something?

It doesn't have to be a Kinect game that will neccessary be the biggest seller of it. I'm waiting on Kinect Enhanced games like Fable that you can play normally, then IF you have Kinect, you can also do ______. Hell, the day NHL adds first person goalie view into the game, I'll buy my first NHL game to play with my Kinect.

Who knows what's going to happen 5 years down the line, but for launch it's going to do just fine with the reactions most people have given once they actually get to try it. We get it , you don't like it or the idea or whatever the issue is.

MoonTar
10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
that MOST gamers are looking for[/B] and so far I'm seeing just as much negative reaction as I see people that are truly excited for it. Until the developers can show they want to truly push kinect to the limits, we have no idea what kind of games we'll actually get. Big things were also promised for the wii, yet most devs outside of Nintendo made waggle games and didn't use the IR. You also listed some of the BEST Wii games that.....Nintendo made. So once again, who at MGS will be delivering mario calibur titles?

What would you consider "most" gamers? The target of Kinect might just be families. Look at the Wii. Most people would not consider it a console for hard-core gamers, but it has outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3. As long as MS can appeal to the buyers of the Wii that might just be all they care about, because there are probably more casual families than hard-core families.

Symmetric-XBA
10-18-2010, 03:14 PM
I won't quote your whole thing, Ralli, just know I'm responding to you.

The devs working on Kinect games are responsible for 70% of all video game sales. Most of the 30% that aren't do Nintendo and PS3 games. Do the math. Virtually every developer worth mentioning is working on games for Kinect. In that sense, Kinect is being treated like its own console. In fact, in almost every sense, the release of Kinect is like the release of the Xbox 720, except that we'll be able to upgrade to it instead of having to start over.

There is no justification for the belief that this will fail. None. Absolutely won't happen. Preorders are a good predictor. Preorders are sold out. Developer interest is a good indicator. Developers are on board, in a HUGE way. Consumer interest, especially after direct exposure which leads to word of mouth, is a good indicator. Word of mouth is off the chart. Public Exposure is a good indicator. Kinect has been on Jimmy Fallon, Good Morning America, Entourage, Smallville, and on Tuesday, Oprah - the marketing monster herself.

There are some people who don't play anything but first person shooters. There may not EVER be anything for them on Kinect. There will eventually be games that don't fit into an existing genre of FPS, TPS, RTS, RPG, WRPG, JRPG, racing, sports, etc. Remember when there were no first person shooters? I do. Remember when there were no animations at all? I do.

Concerning your remark about Kinectimals and 10 year old girls, I will just bite my tongue and say that I had more fun with Viva Pinata than almost any game this gen. Checkers isn't Halo, but I can sit down and play a game of checkers. I can sit down with my daughter and play Candy Land. I'd play iDOLM@STER if I could. The nice thing about video games is, the console doesn't judge you, even if some ****y forumite does.

I'll add this then I have to get to bed. You don't think Kinect will have AAA games. I'm telling you now, it will have two on Day One: Dance Central and Your Shape. If, by "AAA" you mean games that are "AAA" for YOU, no, it may never have those. You probably don't consider Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy or Wii Fit "AAA" either, but they are.

I hear what you're saying man, but what I've highlighted in bold is something that even you can't know off hand b/c no one can predict the future. Imo only, the day MS gutted kinect and outsourced the components to save $$$ was the day that kinect died for me. As far as AAA titles go, yes there will be games like Forza for kinect that will help bring in the hardcore fans from the racing series, however, if you look at what AAA titles there are for the 360 (CoD, Halo, GTA, Fallout, Final Fantasy, MGSR, Assassins Creed, Allan Wake, and more..), very few of them stand a chance of being introduced into the kinect world. Now developers will have to get to work on desiging kinect specific AAA titles (fitness/dance titles), but since one of the processors of the 360 is now yoinked just to deal with kinect, you now have to contend with even more limited processor power and internal resources to make your game shine. An example of that would be if you have Forza on kinect, and Forza w/o kinect, the version that doesn't utilize kinect will have more resources at its disposal to create a better quality racing sim, and thats just an unf. fact of the case. The 360 didn't have a great lineup at launch either, and look at what has developed over the years. The same IS possible for kinect, however, now with the limited resources made even more limited, the devs are going to have to find some way to make some magic by creating a game that is on the high quality calibur that we are used to today. Will that happen? Only time will tell b/c space, no one can forsee the future so none of us can make an intelligible claim on its future.

Edit: Just because Microsoft spends an absurd amount of money to not only buy the technology for kinect, but market it and more, does not mean that it will be the next holy grail application for the 360. Microsoft has been known to drop hundreds of millions of dollars on projects and companies that in the end, do nothing but fail. A good example of this is Rare which was bought by MS (if i'm not mistaken) for a little over 340 Million $$$ and it has been one of MS most laughable purchases because of the lack of quality that they have failed to bring to the 360 platform. Just remember, just because MS opens up their wallets doesn't make it a success. In fact, a lot of top MS execs feel the same way in regards to kinect, and thats why a lot of them have left.

SpaceGhost2K
10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
oh really? where exactly is it "sold out" cause I just looked at three different web-sites offering to take my money to preorder kinect with or without a slim. I know all about the jimmy fallon show and oprah etc, just because you spend millions and millions on marketing doesn't necessarily equal a guaranteed success.

If you want to send me ten bucks, I'll take your preorder for Kinect, too. Doesn't mean you're gonna get it on launch day.

I don't get the FPS comments either, I can guarantee that I've played more genres and games on 360 than anyone on this entire site and have been gaming since the beginning of the NES era, so don't even try and suggest I'm some dude-bro or something who plays nothing but call of duty or halo all day.

I mentioned FPS, because AAA=FPS on the 360.

Viva Pinata didn't sell that well and the sequal totally bombed, despite Microsoft trying to make a brand out of it with cartoons, books and games. Also, please show me in my post where I said Viva Pinata was a horrible game.....it came out in 2006 and I said in my post that since the Stamper bros left in '07, Rare hasn't really done much of anything. Oh and I did enjoy VP btw...

from Wiki:
"Viva Piñata was nominated for 6 awards by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences for its 10th annual awards covering 2006,[21] the most nominations a Rare title has had since GoldenEye 007. Nominated categories included:

* Console Game of the Year
* Outstanding Innovation in Gaming
* Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction
* Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - Female (won)
* Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering
* Family Game of the Year
* Most Unique Game of the Year"

That's seven, but whatever. It's Wiki. VP sold 500K units on a console with 0 kid install base. Only about 250K is required for game with an average budget to turn a profit, and VP cost less than the average game to make. Anything VPTiP made was pretty much free money.

I think your comment was related to sales. Sales were acceptable, and that's about it, but it didn't have the push behind it that Kinect and its games will have.

You are speculating just as much as I am that Kinect will be any sort of massive success over the next few years, or if it will become mostly shovelware. You claim that the devs are interested, but that's neither here nor there until they actually show us something outside of wii-too titles.

I don't see Your Shape or Dance Central as Wii-Too titles. Sure, Wii has Just Dance and Wii Fit, and both of those could be done on Kinect, but DC and YS can't be done in the Wii. YS has a version on the Wii and it hasn't done jack (probably because Wii Fit stomped a hole in it).

quote]in fact here is a quote from the THQ CEO to investors, who has said they will support Kinect

“There are more mass market type games, so the costs of games for Kinect and Move are a fraction of the games we showed you on the screen,” Farrell told investors.

“They’re just simpler forms of game, based on your movement and the input device and not on fantastic art and complex animations and backgrounds, that’s the other reason we like those two products, because the development costs are much lower than they are for the other core products.”

So what he is basically saying is, its cheaper to make games that are more about motion than about the art and fancy graphics. Then later he goes on to say that THQ is investing a lot of money in a big game to be released in march for kinect, move and wii. So like I said, we will most likely be getting ports and not true exclusive titles made with only kinect in mind since its more cost effective to do games for all three (or at least the HD consoles)[/quote]

LOL! You're telling me that THQ is going to abandon AAA games to make Kinect games? Wow, I weep at the loss of all the AAA games THQ has made.

The Halos, The Gears, The Mass Effects, the Dead Spaces, the Forzas, the Fallouts, the Fables are all still going to get made, and the Dark Voids and Alpha Protocols and the Sonics and the Metro 2033's won't be. So freakin' what?

I've said it before but apparently I need to say it again, I'm not claiming that Kinect will sell nothing and be DOA, I'm thinking long term looking at the reality that add-ons haven't EVER worked in the history of gaming because it splits the market. Unless Kinect is at least 40-50% of the total xbox's sold, do you really think publishers are gonna sink a lot of money to make a Kinect only title when they can make one that either A. works on move, wii and kinect like THQ is stating or B. make a title that ALL 360 users can enjoy.

The ball is in the Developers/publishers court to deliver the titles that MOST gamers are looking for and so far I'm seeing just as much negative reaction as I see people that are truly excited for it. Until the developers can show they want to truly push kinect to the limits, we have no idea what kind of games we'll actually get. Big things were also promised for the wii, yet most devs outside of Nintendo made waggle games and didn't use the IR. You also listed some of the BEST Wii games that.....Nintendo made. So once again, who at MGS will be delivering mario calibur titles?

No add-on in this history of gaming has ever had this - a half-billion dollar marketing budget to let people know it exists and show them why they have to have it:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/microsoft_move_3gVmAyryJuD6px1dV7LeDP

As far as your last question, if Microsoft was making Mario caliber titles, nobody would buy all of those great third party games and they would go to the PS3. It's just a different way of building libraries. Microsoft's way of doing things seems to be the smarter choice because Wii sales are in the dumpster while 360 sales are up 37% year over year, the only console to do so. And Kinect isn't even out yet. And 8 of the ten games in last month's top ten were available on the 360. You act like there's this enormous obstacle that Microsoft hasn't overcome, and it just doesn't exist.

A half-billion dollars. Almost double what it cost to make "Avatar." As much as they spent in the launch of the original Xbox. Kinect IS the next gen console. It's just coming in the middle of THIS gen, and not forcing devs to start over from scratch.

You can say that I am speculating just like you are, but my reply is that no, I'm not, because I'm not oblivious to the FACT that there has been nothing like this before. Success CAN be bought, and Microsoft wrote the check. There will be no Kinect units available at Christmas. Period. It's not speculation. Microsoft is going to ship five million units worldwide through the end of the year, and on Christmas Eve, every single one of them will be sold. Every single one.

Symmetric-XBA
10-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Here's the complete Kinect lineup for this year. Now compare these games to the ones NOT for Kinect that have or have not yet been released this year.

Non Kinect titles:

Halo Reach
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Medal of Honor
Red Dead Redemption
Mass Effect 2
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Fallout: New Vegas
Tron
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2

Now here is the complete Kinect lineup for the rest of the year:

Kinect launch lineup (titles releasing on Kinect's launch day in bold)

•Kinect Adventures (bundled with hardware): November 4
•Kinectimals: November 4
•Game Party: In Motion: November 18
•Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1: November 16
•Your Shape: Fitness Evolved: November 4
•Dance Central: November 4
•The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout: November 4
•DanceMasters: November 4
•EA Sports Active 2: November 16
•Zumba Fitness: November 18
•Kinect Sports: November 4
•MotionSports: November 4
•Deca Sports Freedom: Holiday 2010
•Kinect Joy Ride: November 4
•Adrenalin Misfits: November 4
•Fighters Uncaged: November 4
•Sonic Free Riders: November 4

And there ya have it! Now sitting here and looking at these two very different lists, its apparent to me that I personally would not find the same amount of enjoyment with the Kinect titles, as I would the Non-Kinect titles. I wouldn't have classed any game of the 360 at launch a "AAA" title, and there's no way when you compare the two that Kinect will have a "AAA" title at launch. If you honestly think that any of the launch games classify as a "AAA" title, then try preaching how Kinectimals will give you as much enjoyment as Halo Reach. Try explaining how you get the same satisfaction and in depth story that you get in Mass Effect 2, or Fallout: New Vegas, when you play Your Shape Fitness Evolved, or any other Kinect game thus far. Sorry Space, I'm going to have to side with Ralli on this issue. The lineup of titles seems to be more of a quantity over quality, and if you do compare the lists, then you'll see a def. lack of quality in what is intended to bring out the "hardcore" crowd of 360 owners. It all comes down to preference and if you're not the kind of person who likes to play fallout, halo, cod, assassins creed, or any of the other games in the list, then yes I can see how you would become a kinect defender. For me though, I bought my 360 for the experiences I can get ouf of it with top quality games, unf. I don't see those type of experiences coming yet to kinect. When it does, thats when I'll pick it up, but I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon simply b/c MS pours out a fountain of cash.

SpaceGhost2K
10-18-2010, 04:42 PM
I covered some of this above, but anyway...

I hear what you're saying man, but what I've highlighted in bold is something that even you can't know off hand b/c no one can predict the future. Imo only, the day MS gutted kinect and outsourced the components to save $$$ was the day that kinect died for me. As far as AAA titles go, yes there will be games like Forza for kinect that will help bring in the hardcore fans from the racing series, however, if you look at what AAA titles there are for the 360 (CoD, Halo, GTA, Fallout, Final Fantasy, MGSR, Assassins Creed, Allan Wake, and more..), very few of them stand a chance of being introduced into the kinect world. Now developers will have to get to work on desiging kinect specific AAA titles (fitness/dance titles), but since one of the processors of the 360 is now yoinked just to deal with kinect, you now have to contend with even more limited processor power and internal resources to make your game shine. An example of that would be if you have Forza on kinect, and Forza w/o kinect, the version that doesn't utilize kinect will have more resources at its disposal to create a better quality racing sim, and thats just an unf. fact of the case. The 360 didn't have a great lineup at launch either, and look at what has developed over the years. The same IS possible for kinect, however, now with the limited resources made even more limited, the devs are going to have to find some way to make some magic by creating a game that is on the high quality calibur that we are used to today. Will that happen? Only time will tell b/c space, no one can forsee the future so none of us can make an intelligible claim on its future.

Edit: Just because Microsoft spends an absurd amount of money to not only buy the technology for kinect, but market it and more, does not mean that it will be the next holy grail application for the 360. Microsoft has been known to drop hundreds of millions of dollars on projects and companies that in the end, do nothing but fail. A good example of this is Rare which was bought by MS (if i'm not mistaken) for a little over 340 Million $$$ and it has been one of MS most laughable purchases because of the lack of quality that they have failed to bring to the 360 platform. Just remember, just because MS opens up their wallets doesn't make it a success. In fact, a lot of top MS execs feel the same way in regards to kinect, and thats why a lot of them have left.

Two points: $500,000,000 in marketing money, on every box of cereal, every can of Pepsi and every bag of Burger King. Oprah Winfrey. Justin Bieber. The hardcore may not be swayed. But, do I think the hardcore was swayed by "Twilight"? Hell, no. Did that doom "Twilight" to failure? Hell f'n no. The money the hardcore spends is significant, but the money the casuals have to spend dwarfs it like Vader to R2-D2. And the casuals are more swayed by the marketing. Tickle-Me-Elmo, I said it before.

Point two: Rare. Microsoft needed a quality studio to pull off all of the elements they needed for the 360, like Avatars. Note that the purchase took place about the time things for the 360 were put into motion. They made a few games because people expected them to, and they generated some revenue for Microsoft. But most importantly, you can't hire a studio on an indefinite basis to to infrastructure stuff like Rare has done for LIVE. You can't sign a contract with Krome for two years, and then when it's over, have someone else come in to take it over. You need consistency. You HAVE to own the people doing it. You need quality. Nobody is better than Rare. The fact that Rare became available for purchase was a godsend to Microsoft. And actually, it was probably a godsend for Rare, because if Rare was on its own releasing the games it did without the LIVE project to keep them fed, it might not even exist right now.

I don't expect Halo quality games on Kinect now, if ever. But nobody expected a Halo quality game at launch on ANY system, but it happened. Namco had to make a Pacman before they could make Soul Calibur. Kinect will have to go through its Pacman phase before it can get to a Soul Calibur phase. So Kinect won't have its Halo for a while, but it's got its Pacman on Day One: Dance Central and Your Shape.

There are a lot, a LOT, of great games out there that don't look like Halo or Gears. Team Fortress 2, Portal, Tales of Vesperia, Mario Kart, etc. If people decide that Kinect lives or dies on whether its games look like Halo, then just call it a loss and move on.

SpaceGhost2K
10-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Here's the complete Kinect lineup for this year. Now compare these games to the ones NOT for Kinect that have or have not yet been released this year.

Non Kinect titles:

Halo Reach
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Medal of Honor
Red Dead Redemption
Mass Effect 2
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Fallout: New Vegas
Tron
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2

Now here is the complete Kinect lineup for the rest of the year:

Kinect launch lineup (titles releasing on Kinect's launch day in bold)

•Kinect Adventures (bundled with hardware): November 4
•Kinectimals: November 4
•Game Party: In Motion: November 18
•Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1: November 16
•Your Shape: Fitness Evolved: November 4
•Dance Central: November 4
•The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout: November 4
•DanceMasters: November 4
•EA Sports Active 2: November 16
•Zumba Fitness: November 18
•Kinect Sports: November 4
•MotionSports: November 4
•Deca Sports Freedom: Holiday 2010
•Kinect Joy Ride: November 4
•Adrenalin Misfits: November 4
•Fighters Uncaged: November 4
•Sonic Free Riders: November 4

And there ya have it! Now sitting here and looking at these two very different lists, its apparent to me that I personally would not find the same amount of enjoyment with the Kinect titles, as I would the Non-Kinect titles. I wouldn't have classed any game of the 360 at launch a "AAA" title, and there's no way when you compare the two that Kinect will have a "AAA" title at launch. If you honestly think that any of the launch games classify as a "AAA" title, then try preaching how Kinectimals will give you as much enjoyment as Halo Reach. Try explaining how you get the same satisfaction and in depth story that you get in Mass Effect 2, or Fallout: New Vegas, when you play Your Shape Fitness Evolved, or any other Kinect game thus far. Sorry Space, I'm going to have to side with Ralli on this issue. The lineup of titles seems to be more of a quantity over quality, and if you do compare the lists, then you'll see a def. lack of quality in what is intended to bring out the "hardcore" crowd of 360 owners. It all comes down to preference and if you're not the kind of person who likes to play fallout, halo, cod, assassins creed, or any of the other games in the list, then yes I can see how you would become a kinect defender. For me though, I bought my 360 for the experiences I can get ouf of it with top quality games, unf. I don't see those type of experiences coming yet to kinect. When it does, thats when I'll pick it up, but I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon simply b/c MS pours out a fountain of cash.

You're still comparing a AAA hardcore title with a AAA casual title. They're not the same. Halo is a AAA hardcore title. Pokemon is a AAA casual title. Pokemon sales have SLAUGHTERED Halo sales. SLAUGHTERED.

You're also comparing an entire years' worth of releases to one month's worth of releases (November - nothing releases in December).

You're also comparing established franchises that have been polished to brand new titles on brand new hardware. You're comparing apples to volcanoes.

For a lot of people, Kinectimals will give them much more enjoyment than Halo. In fact, I would say most people. 350 million people in the US, or whatever its at, and you had them choose between the two, Kinectimals would win. Master these 22 buttons and kill things, or virtually stroke a kitty. If I was investing money, I'd invest in the kitty.

Then I'd make DLC where you could shoot it. For when the kids are in bed.

Timmy Bauer
10-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Then I'd make DLC where you could shoot it. For when the kids are in bed.

:rofl:

I've tried the Kinect too. Before doing it I was skeptical (it's like Wii, the games will be stupid... like wii, I don't want to let another hardware piece be covered in dust for not playing it... like my Wii) but when I've first tried it, a whole new experience was opening to me.
I've found myself smiling like a child, turning my body, jumping, moving left and righ (taking my pants down also...:D), hiding myself to the camera and doing all the Kamasutra positions... alone!
Then a lot of friends joined me and I can assure you that even the nerdier hardcore gamer has enjoyed the experience. It's a new thing.

I work in a mall here in Italy and we don't take reservations, but I bet that november 10th (european day one) will be a busy day. The Gamestop near us will sell every copy and customers will come to us...

I'm hoping too in something different that workout and dancing games, but in the meantime I'll play with those games with my friends...

Symmetric-XBA
10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
You need quality. Nobody is better than Rare. The fact that Rare became available for purchase was a godsend to Microsoft. And actually, it was probably a godsend for Rare, because if Rare was on its own releasing the games it did without the LIVE project to keep them fed, it might not even exist right now.

I don't expect Halo quality games on Kinect now, if ever. But nobody expected a Halo quality game at launch on ANY system, but it happened. Namco had to make a Pacman before they could make Soul Calibur. Kinect will have to go through its Pacman phase before it can get to a Soul Calibur phase. So Kinect won't have its Halo for a while, but it's got its Pacman on Day One: Dance Central and Your Shape.

There are a lot, a LOT, of great games out there that don't look like Halo or Gears. Team Fortress 2, Portal, Tales of Vesperia, Mario Kart, etc. If people decide that Kinect lives or dies on whether its games look like Halo, then just call it a loss and move on.

Ok so to keep this simple and quick, the whole statement about quality and how no one is better than Rare is ENTIRELY your opinion (not to mention the fact that you contradicted yourself by saying they would prob. be out of business w/o MS). I can name a handful of other companies that I would put before Rare in that catagory. Also with the whole Pokemon comparison, try to stick to MS related software, instead of comparing cross platform games. What casual AAA title on the XBOX 360 outsold a hardcore AAA title like Grand Theft Auto, Halo, or CoD? If you add up the sales of the "hardcore AAA titles" they will dwarf the sales of the "casual AAA titles" on the XBOX 360.

Last thing about this was how you compared Dance Central and Your Shape to Pac-Man. Honestly this isn't even a good comparison. You're in essence calling these two games for Kinect a monumental icon in gaming. Pac-Man will forever be a more mammoth title than the two games you mentioned, and if given the chance I guarantee more ppl not only will recognize, but appreciate Pac-Man even more. Dance Central and Your Shape may be in your opinion great titles for Kinect, but be reasonable, they will not be in the same league as Pac-Man.

SpaceGhost2K
10-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Ok so to keep this simple and quick, the whole statement about quality and how no one is better than Rare is ENTIRELY your opinion (not to mention the fact that you contradicted yourself by saying they would prob. be out of business w/o MS). I can name a handful of other companies that I would put before Rare in that catagory. Also with the whole Pokemon comparison, try to stick to MS related software, instead of comparing cross platform games. What casual AAA title on the XBOX 360 outsold a hardcore AAA title like Grand Theft Auto, Halo, or CoD? If you add up the sales of the "hardcore AAA titles" they will dwarf the sales of the "casual AAA titles" on the XBOX 360.

Last thing about this was how you compared Dance Central and Your Shape to Pac-Man. Honestly this isn't even a good comparison. You're in essence calling these two games for Kinect a monumental icon in gaming. Pac-Man will forever be a more mammoth title than the two games you mentioned, and if given the chance I guarantee more ppl not only will recognize, but appreciate Pac-Man even more. Dance Central and Your Shape may be in your opinion great titles for Kinect, but be reasonable, they will not be in the same league as Pac-Man.

You're right, I was too general. For what they do, Rare is the best there is. Unfortunately, what Rare does isn't what people want anymore. Banjo Kazooie N&B would have been huge on the N64.

I used cross-platform sales because Microsoft is turning the 360 into a multi-audience machine. They're going after Pokemon players and its sales history is why. They had to get the hardcore first, and then go after casuals. Nintendo alienated the hardcore in their pursuit of casuals, and while it worked for a while, it's becoming obvious is wasn't the move to make.

My comparison to Pacman was only that you have to start somewhere at the beginning. You can't start at the end. You're comparing the beginning of Kinect with the end of these other mega franchises.

I think you're finding trees in my post to argue about, and entirely missing the forest.

RalliArtEvo
10-18-2010, 09:49 PM
You're right, I was too general. For what they do, Rare is the best there is. Unfortunately, what Rare does isn't what people want anymore. Banjo Kazooie N&B would have been huge on the N64.

I used cross-platform sales because Microsoft is turning the 360 into a multi-audience machine. They're going after Pokemon players and its sales history is why. They had to get the hardcore first, and then go after casuals. Nintendo alienated the hardcore in their pursuit of casuals, and while it worked for a while, it's becoming obvious is wasn't the move to make.

My comparison to Pacman was only that you have to start somewhere at the beginning. You can't start at the end. You're comparing the beginning of Kinect with the end of these other mega franchises.

I think you're finding trees in my post to argue about, and entirely missing the forest.

You're telling me that MS bought Rare to copy Mii's for the 360?! Rare isn't even close to being "the best at what they do". You quoted the AIAS awards, but guess what, they didn't even win any of them including the best family game, so I'm not sure what point you are trying to prove with that. Again, the Stamper Brothers are the creative minds behind ALL of the great Rare titles including Viva Pinata and they left the company because of MS forcing them to work on bs like avatars instead of allowing them to use their creativity for new IP's. Funny thing about that is Bungie also left MS for the similar reason, MS hounding them to deliver what THEY wanted instead of letting them do thier own thing.

I don't doubt for a second that dance central will be a big seller this holiday, but what happens after that? we'll probably get dance central 2 and a ton of copycats and that's what my fear is for the future. MS is investing a TON of money into trying to get the casual market that the Wii already has. Who's to say that outside of this holiday season that Kinect will sustain that momentum for the next 3-4 years until the new xbox is released?

RalliArtEvo
10-18-2010, 10:28 PM
I've shown it off to about a hundred people and there's been no real bad feedback once they get their hands on it (or...not on it...whatever).

Spacey already told you there is going to be AAA titles for it (dance/fit) but you aren't taking those answers or don't want to to prove a point or something?

It doesn't have to be a Kinect game that will neccessary be the biggest seller of it. I'm waiting on Kinect Enhanced games like Fable that you can play normally, then IF you have Kinect, you can also do ______. Hell, the day NHL adds first person goalie view into the game, I'll buy my first NHL game to play with my Kinect.

Who knows what's going to happen 5 years down the line, but for launch it's going to do just fine with the reactions most people have given once they actually get to try it. We get it , you don't like it or the idea or whatever the issue is.

You and Space are taking what I'm saying the wrong way, its not that I'm not into the idea of kinect, its the way micrsoft is focusing all their attention on only wii-too games. You can sit there and say the dance central and the workout game are AAA, but they are still the same thing that can be done on Wii, just without a controller. I have no doubt that the casual market will eat it up over the holiday, but what about the gamers like me? Couldn't MS have included head tracking in halo reach or patched it in for Forza 3 like Sony has done with some of the older titles and move?

I don't care about the casual market, I care about the brand that J Allard and Robbie Bach sold us on since the original xbox. But now they are both gone and the xbox division reports directly to Ballmer. I don't like the direction that the xbox brand is heading and until they prove me wrong, its looking more and more like that's exactly what's happening.

All I'm saying in all my long winded posts is that I want MS to show me, someone who's supported the xbox brand through thick and thin, that they still care about the core audience. Between Kinect, avatars and the closing or releasing of their best 1st party devs, microsoft is heading in the wrong direction for the core audience IN MY OPINION. I would rather MS use that half a billion to make a TRULY killer app for kinect that would get EVERYONE excited and not just casuals.

SpaceGhost2K
10-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Your argument is that Kinect has two killer games at launch but will probably never have any more? What kind of logic is that? "Yeah, most consoles have a great launch and then go downhill from there." That ALWAYS happens. :rolleyes:

Launch offerings are usually weak with the great games coming later on. It's ridiculous to think that Kinect's launch games are the best it has to offer.

Microsoft is launching new tech. The devs are behind it. You say that you don't like that they're putting all of their focus on it, but they have to. IT'S A LAUNCH. You'd prefer they handled it like the Move or the Eye-Toy?

The hardcore is taken care of. We got the games and we're happy. Now, it's time to go after target audience #2. Are you sad that they're not involving you in their pursuit of the casuals?

I'll have to call you back. Chicken Little is on line 2.

RalliArtEvo
10-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Your argument is that Kinect has two killer games at launch but will probably never have any more? What kind of logic is that? "Yeah, most consoles have a great launch and then go downhill from there." That ALWAYS happens. :rolleyes:

Launch offerings are usually weak with the great games coming later on. It's ridiculous to think that Kinect's launch games are the best it has to offer.

Microsoft is launching new tech. The devs are behind it. You say that you don't like that they're putting all of their focus on it, but they have to. IT'S A LAUNCH. You'd prefer they handled it like the Move or the Eye-Toy?

The hardcore is taken care of. We got the games and we're happy. Now, it's time to go after target audience #2. Are you sad that they're not involving you in their pursuit of the casuals?

I'll have to call you back. Chicken Little is on line 2.

since when? Nintendo consoles have historically launched with some of the best games as well as sega, sony and even the og xbox, so you couldn't be further from the truth. Also, regardless if MS wants to tell everyone this is a new console launch, it isn't. Its an ADD-On to a system that has been out almost 5 years. But keep glossing over all the other FACTS I have pointed out about Rare and Microsoft themselves over the past 3 years and how they are moving away from the core audience they established with the xbox and 360.

You keep bringing up that all these devs are behind it, but who are they? What developers have said anything other than they are behind it (which they've also said about move btw)? That could mean they simply are interested in making games if its successfull enough or that they plan on porting games from wii and move. The proof is in the pudding and until I SEE something, its all just hype and talk.

The last point you make is what worries me the most. Yes, as of today we are getting some great high quality titles, but going forward microsoft is clearly targeting a different audience. I'm not saying that it WILL happen, but there is a GREAT possiblility that kinect will end up like the wii except without the great first party games. If MS starts devoting so much time and money trying to get the casuals, where does that leave us going forward?

And as to your comment about Move and the marketing behind it? At least they are throwing bones to the core audience by giving gamers patches to older games like resident evil 5 and heavy rain as well as support for resistance 3 and a new Socom game AS WELL AS making games for the casuals (wii-too clones). So yes, actually I would MS rather take that stance instead of ONLY on the casual stuff. I know that I would buy kinect if head tracking was patched into Forza 3 alone.

SpaceGhost2K
10-19-2010, 04:11 AM
1) The devs making games for Kinect account for 70% of all video game sales.

2) When discussing Nintendo and mentioning "historically" you mean "not recently", right? Because Gamecube launched with Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion and that Star Wars game and that's it. Wii didn't launch with a killer app. PS3 didn't launch with a killer app. PS2 launched with Tekken Tag and ATV and two other games and that's it.Xbox launched with 22 games. ONE of them was a killer app: Halo. Halo was a total fluke that hadn't happened before or since.

I'll say it again: It BENEFITS Microsoft to NOT spend a ton on first party games because it allows for an uninhibited success for third parties. Yes, Nintendo has Mario and Zelda. Would you trade the Wii library for the 360 library? You seem to think Nintendo's got it figured out, so they must have the better library, right?

SpaceGhost2K
10-19-2010, 04:14 AM
I know that I would buy kinect if head tracking was patched into Forza 3 alone.

Yes, but would you buy Forza 3? No. Either you have it already, or you'd buy it used. That doesn't help MS any, so why would they go to that trouble? That's a stupid business move.

Symmetric-XBA
10-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Yes, but would you buy Forza 3? No. Either you have it already, or you'd buy it used. That doesn't help MS any, so why would they go to that trouble? That's a stupid business move.

so are you sayin that the inclusion of head tracking would be a stupid business move? i hope not.

SpaceGhost2K
10-19-2010, 02:21 PM
so are you sayin that the inclusion of head tracking would be a stupid business move? i hope not.

In a game that is already out, yes.

Here's the problem I have with head tracking in general. The TV doesn't move. If you turn your head left to move your character left, your eyes have to go right to see what's on the tv. That's counter-intuitive. Kinect is suppose to use life experience. In my life experience, when I turn my head to look left, I turn my eyes to look left. I think people are thinking "cool" without really thinking through how it would work.

Maybe if you had the three-monitor Forza setup where, when you turned your head, there was a monitor there to look at.

Anyway, my point was about going back and patching games they can't sell a second time, not about Forza or head tracking.

mattgame
10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
This is some real insightful convo and I have learned alot. I will give Kinect a try.

RalliArtEvo
10-19-2010, 11:28 PM
1) The devs making games for Kinect account for 70% of all video game sales.

2) When discussing Nintendo and mentioning "historically" you mean "not recently", right? Because Gamecube launched with Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion and that Star Wars game and that's it. Wii didn't launch with a killer app. PS3 didn't launch with a killer app. PS2 launched with Tekken Tag and ATV and two other games and that's it.Xbox launched with 22 games. ONE of them was a killer app: Halo. Halo was a total fluke that hadn't happened before or since.

I'll say it again: It BENEFITS Microsoft to NOT spend a ton on first party games because it allows for an uninhibited success for third parties. Yes, Nintendo has Mario and Zelda. Would you trade the Wii library for the 360 library? You seem to think Nintendo's got it figured out, so they must have the better library, right?

You given no specifics other than these devs account for 70% of sales. That doesn't tell me ANYTHING other than they've made games that sell. Why don't you try and drop some actual names and titles I should be excited about instead of some number pulled out of your butt. The devs have had the natal/kinect kits for years and all they came up with for launch is mostly dancing, exercise and sports compilation games, looks to me like that's all they see the thing as being, a casual cash grab.

Second, you just proved my point about launches. Gamecube launched with not just ANY star wars game, but one that many consider one of the best of all time in Rogue Squadron. Nintendo launched with Super Mario Bros and duck hunt, Super Nintendo launched with Super Mario Brothers and F-Zero, N64 launched with mario 64 and pilotwings, playstation launched with ridge racer and wipeout, saturn launched with panzer dragoon and daytona USA, Dreamcast launched with Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur, PS2 launches with tekken tag tournament and midnight club, xbox launched with Halo and project gotham racing, 360 launched with call of duty 2, condemned among other great titles, ps3 launched with resistance and motorstorm, and the wii launched with a zelda game. All the titles I listed went on to become top sellers and/or games of the year as well as many appearing on best of all time lists and spawing new franchises. So you are just flat out WRONG to say that consoles don't launch with big titles.

Oh and as to your point about Halo being a total fluke? What do you even mean by that? Just about every single launch title I listed has been a best selling and highly rated game and would go on to create many new series. On top of that, Microsoft was betting that Halo would be big, thats why they bought Bungie and made them take Halo in a different direction for the xbox. They knew that it would be the "killer app" for xbox.

As to your point about Nintendo "figuring it out" well yes actually they have. That's why the Wii is smashing the ps3 and xbox in sales worldwide and its EXACTLY the reason that Microsoft and Sony are now trying to get into the motion controller market. As to your other point, I would LOVE to have the kind of quality first party titles that Nintendo pumps out from Microsoft. The reason that the third party games don't sell is due to many reasons, first that in the begining of this console generation, people weren't sold on Nintendo anymore or that the Wii would be a success, so third parties devoted most of their resources to the next gen systems. Once it became clear that Nintendo had something, they all rushed out crappy copycat games Nintendo already had done like Wii sports or wii fit and the sales suffered. Third party devs STILL have issues figuring out the best way to use the motion control and usually churn out crappy waggle games. Yet somehow you are of the mindset that these same third party devs will be able to figure out kinect and how to make amazing titles on something that's MORE complicated that the Wii?

If you really want to go there and straight up compare Nintendo from a financial standpoint, they absolutely destroy both 360 and ps3 combined in profit made on each system and you know that when Nintendo puts out a game it will be something truly special and the sales follow. All the devs at Microsoft who could put out quality titles have either left or been shut down, leaving a sparse group consisting of Turn 10, Lionhead, and the company formally known as Rareware.

Like I've said before many times, all these devs are saying that they will make said games for either all three systems or at least move and kinect. So again, WHO IS GOING TO MAKE THE BIG EXCLUSIVE GAMES FOR KINECT!!! I'm really not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, I just don't have confidence in this product going forward or that we'll get anything more than casual junk or crappy attempts at hardcore titles that don't sell. (sounds very similar to the Wii lol)

If Microsoft can't or won't figure out a way to play games with a controller and kinect at the same time ala head tracking, then this product is even more useless to me and most other xbox gamers who might be interested, but don't want to wave their hands around and jump to play. Dancing and workout games will only last you so long.

I don't see why ANYONE in their right mind wouldn't want old games to be patched with kinect support. Doesn't Microsoft WANT people other than soccer moms and fanboys to buy it? If it adds value to the system, then I don't see what the issue is. I know that I along with many others on NeoGAF feel the same way. Further, Sony has already promised support for games that aren't even out yet ala resistance 3, killzone 3, new socom, gran turismo 5. What has Microsoft told us....that someday fable will get patched and a crappy controller free forza demo? I want to use my wheel with kinect, not hold my hands up in the air to "pretend" like I'm holding a steering wheel.

To me it seems like we have very different views, you HOPE that these companies won't follow what they did on the Wii and half-ass games while I feel that it will be more of the same, but without great first party support. Both of us are speculating and until a few years pass, neither one of us can say which will end up being true.

Steeps5
10-20-2010, 12:55 AM
My god you guys argue too much!

Symmetric-XBA
10-20-2010, 02:59 AM

Its just a debate where both sides are trying to make points for either side. Most hardcore gamers on the 360 may be swayed with the lack of titles thus far w/ kinect and may opt out of the inital rush and wait and save their money until a title comes out that they want (personally I'm in that boat, until a title comes out that I'm going to want to play, then I'm not spending $150 on simple motion control for my 360 menus). Then you have fanboys that look at the situation like MS is "above reproach" and everything they do is brilliant and will support kinect from day 1. Bottom line to this whole ordeal is that if you feel that kinect is going to give you the same kind of enjoyment from day 1 that you would find in other games you have already played and enjoyed, then order it, otherwise, save your money until something comes out that you want to play, and pick it up then.

RalliArtEvo
10-20-2010, 03:21 AM

Is it really arguing? That sounds so negative. I come here and other message boards to discuss opinions and share thoughts on this industry and hobby that I love. Sometimes things can get out of hand when people are on opposite sides of the fence on issues, but I feel I've made some solid points here as well as Symmetric for those of us who are more skeptical of kinect at this point.

Have fun guys! :p

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr136/rasorbackX/2lk5l04.gif

http://i47.tinypic.com/igg4k6.gif

SpaceGhost2K
10-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Its just a debate where both sides are trying to make points for either side. Most hardcore gamers on the 360 may be swayed with the lack of titles thus far w/ kinect and may opt out of the inital rush and wait and save their money until a title comes out that they want (personally I'm in that boat, until a title comes out that I'm going to want to play, then I'm not spending $150 on simple motion control for my 360 menus). Then you have fanboys that look at the situation like MS is "above reproach" and everything they do is brilliant and will support kinect from day 1. Bottom line to this whole ordeal is that if you feel that kinect is going to give you the same kind of enjoyment from day 1 that you would find in other games you have already played and enjoyed, then order it, otherwise, save your money until something comes out that you want to play, and pick it up then.

So wait a second, either someone agrees with your opinion or they're a fanboy? Not cool, dude.

Is it really arguing? That sounds so negative. I come here and other message boards to discuss opinions and share thoughts on this industry and hobby that I love. Sometimes things can get out of hand when people are on opposite sides of the fence on issues, but I feel I've made some solid points here as well as Symmetric for those of us who are more skeptical of kinect at this point.

Have fun guys! :p

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr136/rasorbackX/2lk5l04.gif

http://i47.tinypic.com/igg4k6.gif

That's the team lead for the game and the keyboard player for Freezepop.

I'd rather be him than you. No offense.

RalliArtEvo
10-20-2010, 04:10 AM
That's what I thought.....the point is completely lost on you. Space, it's pretty clear that you ARE a fanboy of kinect and to me there's nothing wrong with that, because I can be fanboyish about certain things as well. But you can't deny that unless you actually enjoy dancing and workout games or have a wife/daughter who does, there really isn't anything to offer for most "core" gamers at launch or the near future.....

and I'm still waiting on this list of devs that account for 70% of the sales that are creating games for kinect......

Symmetric-XBA
10-20-2010, 04:51 AM
So wait a second, either someone agrees with your opinion or they're a fanboy? Not cool, dude.

No, never once did I say if you don't share my opinion you're a fanboy. It was merely a reference to showcase the divide that is occuring within the xbox community. Making such bold claims as to almost guarantee success w/o a solid future even announced or even thought about is a bold claim indeed. Playing devils advocate here, what would you say Space if MS said "hey this isn't working out, lets not fully support it anymore?" The main reason I even ask that question is because MS has been known to do that to developers. Halo Reach was a good venture into a different halo game, and what happened after the release? The company got shut down. What happened with Krome and the "Game Room"? What happened with 1 v.s. 100? So Space I hope you can see that any concerns over this add-on that is supposed to help extend the life of the 360 another 4 years or so, are def. valid. Even you have to realize that unless devs start announcing games that most of the gaming world wants to play, then why would a company invest money into a failed platform for their games? Bottom line, this all boils down to money, not games, but dollars. If a company can release a game that will sell over 3 or 4 million copies and generate a ton of cash against what they expend, then why invest the time and resources into making something that will sell maybe 800K-1.5 million (highball figure)? These aren't unreasonable things to consider. Now if you don't share this opinion, you're not a fanboy lol.

Variation-XBA
10-20-2010, 11:41 AM
You guys are just attacking each other now and aren't even on topic anymore; you're trying to put each other down and what not. If this continues, I'll just lock the thread. Yes, you can debate your opinions but when you start insulting each other, that's not cool.

Symmetrics Love
10-20-2010, 12:45 PM
You guys are just attacking each other now and aren't even on topic anymore; you're trying to put each other down and what not. If this continues, I'll just lock the thread. Yes, you can debate your opinions but when you start insulting each other, that's not cool.

*applause* :cheers:

Dr_J
11-05-2010, 05:54 AM
We interrupt this pissing contest to bring you the following message:

"The XBox Kinect is awesome."

Carry on.

Steeps5
11-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Too bad I can't afford it =P

RalliArtEvo
11-05-2010, 01:54 PM

"The XBox Kinect is awesome (for little girls and wives/girlfriends)."

Carry on.

Fixed :p

Shawn-XBA
11-05-2010, 02:46 PM

"The XBox Kinect is awesome."

Carry on.
I am really enjoying it as well, I only have Kinect Adventures so far. It was awesome playing it with my girlfriend and a buddy of mine yesterday.

SamSmith
11-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm looking forward to trying it for myself.

The idea of controlling via voice / motion is more of an incentive than the current line up of games.

I'm worried though that it isn't responsive enough. The videos I've seen had some noticable camera lag.

Variation-XBA
11-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm worried though that it isn't responsive enough. The videos I've seen had some noticable camera lag.

Not the case at all

Dr_J
11-05-2010, 09:10 PM
I am really enjoying it as well, I only have Kinect Adventures so far. It was awesome playing it with my girlfriend and a buddy of mine yesterday.

Same situation, here. I only wanted the one game to try it out before I purchased more game. Plus, the disc has 3 additional demos that you can try.

There are only a few minor issue that I'm having:

My current setup is not going to work at all. There is not nearly enough room. I've already almost broke my hand punching the wall. Not a Kinect issue. That is all on me. I would have the same problem if I had a Wii or PS3 Move.
You can only use the Kinect in the Kinect Hub. You can't use it on the entire dashboard. You can't use it in Netflix, Facebook, etc. I am assuming that these will be added in a future update.
I would like to see more voice options added. "XBox - On" and "XBox - Off" and "Xbox - Play Game" are at the top of my list.
That's about all I can think of for now. Overall, I am VERY happy with my purchase. All I use it for is navigation becase I don't need any broken fingers playing games. That will change once I move it.

Dr_J
11-05-2010, 09:19 PM

I've seen the videos you are talking about on YouTube. Those videos are from 6 months ago and things have since been fixed. I have had zero issues with lag.

There were also complaints about it not seeing the user in dark rooms. I'm calling BS on that one because I shut my lights OFF and I used the Kinect with only the light from my TV. Worked perfectly.

hellonearth159
11-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Here's a picture of Major Nelson signing faceplates for my kids at the Kinect Launch at NY on Wenesday.
http://flic.kr/p/8R7SCy

We couldn't make the Reach launch so I brought two Halo faceplates for him to sign. I'll post pics of them this weekend.

SpaceGhost2K
11-06-2010, 02:35 AM
I posted a couple of quotes from hardcore gamers at www.kinecticon.com.

Fans will say, that's what I'm talking about.
Haters will say, that's what I'm talking about.

So there's really no reason for you not to check them out.

I'm no longer arguing the merits of it. There's no point. The thing is selling like mad, and people who shouldn't be liking it, are. Real impressions from real people can take it from here on out. If you're still passing, and don't want to try something different, no sweat off my brow. But if you're avoiding it because you THINK it's dumb, I think you're depriving yourself of a good time and don't know it.

Shawn-XBA
11-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Same situation, here. I only wanted the one game to try it out before I purchased more game. Plus, the disc has 3 additional demos that you can try.

There are only a few minor issue that I'm having:

My current setup is not going to work at all. There is not nearly enough room. I've already almost broke my hand punching the wall. Not a Kinect issue. That is all on me. I would have the same problem if I had a Wii or PS3 Move.
You can only use the Kinect in the Kinect Hub. You can't use it on the entire dashboard. You can't use it in Netflix, Facebook, etc. I am assuming that these will be added in a future update.
I would like to see more voice options added. "XBox - On" and "XBox - Off" and "Xbox - Play Game" are at the top of my list.

That's about all I can think of for now. Overall, I am VERY happy with my purchase. All I use it for is navigation becase I don't need any broken fingers playing games. That will change once I move it.
Haha, I hit my head on the ceiling fan when I jumped up. :whistle:

Yeah, I hope they add more features to it. I would really like Xbox on and Xbox off voice commands.

Vampero
11-06-2010, 10:53 AM
All I have to say is the Kinect is beyond my expectations!! I never like the WII at all this is so much more!!I love you can talk to it!!:cheers:

hellonearth159
11-06-2010, 11:06 AM
The kids have been playing it non-stop since I set it up. I haven't seen anything compelling for me but the kids love it. Kinectimals is a big hit and so it Kinect sports.

I heard Larry Hyrb was meeting with Disney two weeks ago while down in Florida so hopefully Epic Mickey will come to Kinect soon. I think Kinect gives (non-Nintendo) developers an option to make cross platform games for the types of games currently only on the Wii. Again, not much for the hardcore gamer but it will give Microsoft another opportunity to move more customers to the xbox platform.

Whisper
11-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey everyone. I don't post anymore, but felt compelled to after picking up Kinect.

I'm still a 100% gamer, just don't have the time to come and post about it anymore.

All I play (until now) are FPS, and NHL. I will find the odd game like Alan Wake or Velvet Assassin that I for some reason really enjoy and play through entirely.. but for the most part, I get and play COD, Halo, and NHL games.

Launch morning, I just felt like I should go and buy the damn thing. Funds aren't an issue, and I need to lose weight, so I thought, why not?

I bought the thing, bought Kinect Sports, and rented Fighters Uncaged.

I'm loving it. Yes, Kinect sports is just mini games like the Wii.. but I'm ready for a break after playing a couple table tennis games, a boxing match, and some track. There's not much there to keep you playing past an hour, but you won't need to.

Fighters Uncaged is real fun, and I'm sure it will get real challenging.. I've only done the training and a couple fights.

I haven't bothered with Kinect Adventures as of yet.. I played the first level because the system makes you - not my type of thing - I still need something to compete against.. which is why I've been playing sport and fighting.

I'm definently going to get the fitness thing now that I've confirmed the technology is working and FUN.

Also, keep your eye on the future. Compare 360 games that came out 1-2 years later to the launch games. Kinect will only get better as Devs have more time with it.

Also, DON'T BELIVE FOR A SECOND that there will not be hand peripherals sold down the line to allow for more advanced games. It's being dubbed as "controllerless gaming" as part of it's launch campaign.. but I guarantee a year from now, there will be some sort of FPS game that includes 1 or 2 handhelds.

So here is another long-time, hardcore gamer that is a Kinect lover. To be clear, I was skeptical THE ENTIRE TIME.

scypher999
11-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I'll probably get it eventually, i'll wait for the next iteration to come out first, or at least wait to see if it actually gets something more interesting than the 3-4 launch games

Ainokeatoo
11-06-2010, 04:04 PM
So here is another long-time, hardcore gamer that is a Kinect lover. To be clear, I was skeptical THE ENTIRE TIME.

For some of our newer skeptical members, I can vouch for Whisper.

Lt Jim Dangle !
11-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I am going to wait a little bit to see how everyone likes it. I enjoy the Wii concept alot and enjoy some of the games on that console as a change of pace from halo, cod, and sport games. But I have about 6 games unopened sitting here and fallout 3 and fallout new vegas with only a few hours played so I am so backed up with games I do not have time at the moment to get a kinect

SamSmith
11-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I tried it briefly today and I liked it.

I'll get it eventually - I'm more interested in using it with my non gamer friends / family for the social & fun aspect rather than anything else.

Also I should mention, the camera lag which I thought I had noticed before was very minimal. It all seemed very responsive and picked most everything up pretty much instantly.

angeto
11-10-2010, 04:59 AM
just got kinect and i can believe how amazing it is !!!!!

any one looking for a wii i now have one for sale

back to the kinect it makes you feel like sylar and just telling my xbox to play disc not a prob awesome well done microsoft you good to go for another 10 years can't wait for kinect plus

Dr_J
11-15-2010, 06:44 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40201887/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

SpaceGhost2K
11-16-2010, 04:11 AM
If those are just US numbers, then it's a sure bet that Dance Central's sold a million as well (everywhere).

November NPD:

360 Black Ops
PS3 Gran Turismo 5
PS3 Black Ops
360 Dance Central
360 Kinect Sports
360 Kinectimals
Wii Donkey Kong Country Returns
Wii Epic Mickey (only one day)
360 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
360 Your Shape Fitness Evolved

All of them will be over a million sold.