PDA

View Full Version : Kinect already showing problems

Symmetric-XBA
10-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Want to get Kinect? Well get ready to bend over for MS yet again b/c a leaked manual of the Kinect system has been shown, and what is shows is ticking off a lot of gamers.

First off making it mandatory to mount the camera 2-6 feet off the ground. Not only that, but the manual says that the closer you get to the 2' or 6' mark, the better the camera can be used. So in essence if you mount the camera 4-5 feet, you will not have as good of an experience.

Second, in the troubleshooting section they state that if your camera is having trouble recognizing you, that you should "change your clothes" or "turn on more light".

Third, if you are using a single player experience, then you are required to stand about 6' away, if you are using a multiplayer experience, then the distance grows to 8 feet.

I'm sorry but I was very excited about Kinect, and even had it pre-ordered, however, after hearing this my excitment has almost completely disappeared. What do you think of Kinect's "requirements"?

Ainokeatoo
10-06-2010, 03:38 PM
It's a camera that needs certain requirements to function properly, I'm surprised this kinda wasn't expected by the crowd. The difference between this and Move, is that Move uses a standard web camera with a sophisticated tracking system and controller, whereas Kinect is a camera.

Vampero
10-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I still will be buying I just want hands free menus...lol Don't really care about the games.

Variation-XBA
10-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I've been playing with it for a month now and have not run into a single problem yet. It's something you need to see and play with to understand it

SpaceGhost2K
10-06-2010, 04:09 PM
You know, if you use a regular camera, sometimes you have to zoom in, use a flash, changes lenses, etc. Kinect is a fixed piece of hardware. To get it to work the best that it can, it gives an "optimal" setup situation.

There's a video on XBL right now talking about what clothes to wear. On one hand, it's ridiculous that you should have to change clothes to play a video game. On the other hand, how can anyone be surprised that Kinect wouldn't have any guess as to where your legs were under a dress or baggy pants?

MoonTar
10-06-2010, 04:18 PM
My room is to small for Kinect. :(

Symmetric-XBA
10-06-2010, 05:05 PM
a lot of valid points here. what happenes though when you go over to a friends house to play kinect? do you have to wear your "kinect approved" outfit based off of how your friends environment is? I can honestly see now that this is going to be an epic failure. So for controller free gaming I need a "Kinect approved" wardrobe? lmao yeah right. I'm glad to see that MS is telling me what I need to wear. I was confused as to what clothes to wear, thank god there's MS and Kinect to tell me. lmao yet just another half-@$$ed execution imo. way to go MS, you buy the tech, and then strip it down to be a shell of what it could be, then charge your price for it, tell gamers what they can and can not wear in order to use the stripped down tech. this is rapidly going off my pre-order list and put to another game. Just chalk it up to another MS failure.

Ainokeatoo
10-06-2010, 06:28 PM
It wasn't like Nelson didn't cover all of this in one of his inside xbox video's. I mean, it's a camera what else do you expect? Like I said, Move doesn't require this because it's not heavily dependant on the camera, rather, the software. Like a green screen, you wouldn't wear a color matching the screen right? While the techonology might be new, it's not Star Trek advanced, there "are" some things you need to do in order to use it properly.

Symmetric-XBA
10-06-2010, 06:32 PM
While the techonology might be new, it's not Star Trek advanced, there "are" some things you need to do in order to use it properly.

lol thats the point i'm trying to make. This isn't MS tech. MS just opened up their wallets and bought out the company that makes the tech. Then outsourced it to be manufactured all the while stripping it down to a shell of what it could do. kinect if it was the original tech could do so much more, but MS just gutted the whole thing, switched out parts here and there, and basically stripped it down to a shell. so much potential has been ****ed out the window on kinect, I actually feel sorry for MS.

MoonTar
10-06-2010, 08:08 PM
But what if MS didn't strip it down? Would you be willing to pay more for it? What if without everything stripped it was $300? Would it be worth it? MS just dumbed it down to make it affordable.

Symmetric-XBA
10-06-2010, 09:52 PM
lol yeah i'd def. pay more for it w/o question.

RalliArtEvo
10-06-2010, 10:21 PM
lol yeah i'd def. pay more for it w/o question.

MS taking the processor out and relying strickly on the 360 to power it was a HUGE mistake imo. Did you know that back when it was called Natal, before they took the processor out, it could actually detect individual fingers?

I still stand by my opinion that kinect will be nothing more than MS's attempt to cash in on the casual Wii market. Until they can show some worthwhile games, its becoming less and less appealling for me.

Variation-XBA
10-07-2010, 12:31 AM
You're blowing it WAY out of proportion Sym, maybe you should try it first before bashing it and forming an opinion?

angeto
10-07-2010, 02:08 AM
i'm still getting it when it first comes out , i think it will be great if not theres always ebay .theres so many xbox 360 owners and i think there'll be a shortage for xmas so if you got it preordered and don't like it just sell it on chances are you make a bit of profit selling it on .
any way saying this i'm the same guy who bought the 32x the mega cd vcd card for the saturn and ever other console addon know to man and they where all a big success right?

Symmetric-XBA
10-07-2010, 06:57 AM
You're blowing it WAY out of proportion Sym, maybe you should try it first before bashing it and forming an opinion?

lol sounds good to me man. care to donate yours? lol

RalliArtEvo
10-07-2010, 01:36 PM

I plan on trying it out at a retailer that has one setup, but given the games that have been shown, I still don't see myself investing $150 minimum at launch. I know that I've been really negative, but until kinect proves to be a success and developers start making more than dance, sports compilation, or workout games, I'm just not sold on it regardless of how great it "works". I'd rather spend that money towards games that I know I'll enjoy :)

SpaceGhost2K
10-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah, the clothing requirements can't be that big of a deal. These things are set up in Macy's stores and malls all across America and they aren't telling people to go home and change. People of all sizes and all colors in all kinds of clothing are stepping up to the units and playing them.

Symmetric-XBA
10-07-2010, 05:20 PM
These things are set up in Macy's stores and malls all across America and they aren't telling people to go home and change.

Good point man, not like the malls or Macy's don't have the room, lol or the clothing. I can just see it now a Macy's rep selling massive amounts of clothing so that ppl w/ have their Kinect wardrobe lol.

Tony_Macaroni
10-24-2010, 04:36 PM
imo the whole kinect thing is stupid. the games (so far) look stupid, obviously i know its at the beginning stages and theres many more titles to be expected. But move is just so much better in theory. I LIKE that there are physical controllers to ensure quality gameplay over theoretically "fun" and innovative tech from MS. And the graphics are just better on the ps3 games for move... just so much better in precision and all that is important in virtual style gaming

SpaceGhost2K
10-24-2010, 05:38 PM
People who play chess think checkers is stupid. Checkers will always be more popular because it's more accessible. Microsoft isn't trying to sell checkers to chess players. They're trying to sell checkers to Connect Four players.

SamSmith
10-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Which would explain why I felt as dumb as I did after watching this ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1a4bz5s3b4

My face is creased from cringing.

SpaceGhost2K
10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Which would explain why I felt as dumb as I did after watching this ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1a4bz5s3b4

My face is creased from cringing.

Do you feel dumb watching Dora the Explorer?

If it's not for you, that's okay.

SamSmith
10-27-2010, 12:21 PM

How would I know whether it's 'for me' or not? It's not yet released - I look forward to seeing for myself.

What I was referring to was their joke of an ad.

Symmetric-XBA
10-27-2010, 02:27 PM
what i found interesting is how dark that room was where they were watching sports and the movies. so I guess thats the min. amount of light you need to have for it to work?

RalliArtEvo
10-27-2010, 03:44 PM
what i found interesting is how dark that room was where they were watching sports and the movies. so I guess thats the min. amount of light you need to have for it to work?

could be, but its only a commercial, I wouldn't read too much into it.

MoonTar
10-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Dora the Explorer is hilarious. :rofl:

But after watching that, I probably won't be getting it. I'm pretty much the only one that uses my 360 and none of the features seem $150 worthy to me...............................yet.

Ainokeatoo
10-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Definitely not for me, nor is MOVE, my gaming equipment is in my room, along with my desk/TV/Monitor/Chair/Bed. It's hard enough fitting all of that in here, then trying to wave and flap my arms around like an idiot while playing my game while with my hands straight up I could easily get them cut off by the constantly on fan of mine.

thAshAdyOne
10-28-2010, 12:04 AM
I've been playing with it for a month now and have not run into a single problem yet. It's something you need to see and play with to understand it

When I played with Kinect at Macy's a couple of months back, it was easy to get the hang of. I'm not sure who wants to put the device 2. Inches away from their face, but once you get your hands on it, it will all make sense.