PDA

View Full Version : XBOX DVD Capabilities

AMerr5123
03-13-2002, 07:42 PM
Does anyone here know if it would be possible to make dvd's using my cd burner and play them on my xbox...

Halo Perfect
03-13-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by AMerr5123
Does anyone here know if it would be possible to make dvd's using my cd burner and play them on my xbox...

im not sure, i dont wanna waste a cd if it doesnt work, but im thinking it wont, because burned audio cds wont work on the Xbox, so dvd r probably the same way.

spy_spirit
03-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Just Call Microsoft and ask them!
1-800-4myxbox :)

Kilik
03-13-2002, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure either, you can't play CDR on the xbox audio but
you can play CDRW I did it last night. But like I said I don't know
about DVD.

Halo Perfect
03-13-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by spy_spirit
Just Call Microsoft and ask them!
1-800-4myxbox :)

hey theres an idea, is that the real number.??

Cujosh
I'm not sure either...you are talking about using a DVD-writer/burner am I correct? Not a CD-writer/burner? Either way, I'm not sure...it would be interesting to find out. If anyone knows, please tell!

Halo Perfect
Originally posted by Kilik
I'm not sure either, you can't play CDR on the xbox audio but
you can play CDRW I did it last night. But like I said I don't know
about DVD.

so u can play re-writiable audio cds on xbox??

Kilik
03-13-2002, 09:24 PM
yes you can.

Halo Perfect
03-13-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Kilik
yes you can.

o man thats is awesome, i'll have to go out and buy 1, then i can get all the music i want on my Xbox, sweet thanks man:)

Hugh_Jass
03-13-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by AMerr5123

You can't make a DVD with a CD burner.

You can make a VCD with a CD burner but I don't think you can play it on your XBOX.

wweomaniac
03-13-2002, 10:30 PM
I think that we were talking aboot burning a DVD onto a CD with a CD Burner. I don't think it will work considering a DVD is 4+ GB and a CD is 650 MB.

If you were referring about burning a DVD with your CD burner... then no, its simply not possible. Don't ask me why... but thats just the way it is. Why would they make DVD burners if you could burn DVDs using a CD burner??

You hafta think philosophically.

DBXNY
03-13-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

You can make a VCD with a CD burner but I don't think you can play it on your XBOX.

Actually, you can make a DVD with a CD Burner. You can use DVD authoring software to make your menus, etc. and formulate your files into the "DVD Specification". This specification of file formats and layouts can be burned on a CD-R/CD-RW using a CD burner. As long as the format is following correctly, and the DVD player can read a CD/CDRW disc, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work. The trick is, of course, is in the authoring format used. I've seen this method constantly used in the corporate industry. They work fine on computer drives as long as you have DVD playback software. Of course, by not using a DVD disc, you are limited to the 650MB of disc space on the CDR/CDRW.

DB:)

Hugh_Jass
03-14-2002, 08:29 AM
Think about what you're saying. It is impossible to burn a DVD on a CD burner. Why? Because a CD isn't a DVD!

A regular movie DVD holds NINE GIGs of data. It would take about fourteen CDs to hold that much data.

Yes, you can burn MPEG2 video to a CD...about 12 minutes worth. But that doesn't make it a DVD.

Spaztic
03-14-2002, 09:31 AM
xbox can read cd-r's I do it all the time. Some different type of cd-r's don't work though. It is a trial and error kind of deal. I use imation cd-r's, got them at best buy for $4.99 for a 50 pack!

I am pretty sure xbox cannot read vcd's even though I haven't tried myself! I will give it a try and let you guys know!

Halo Perfect
03-14-2002, 11:09 AM

VCD i dont follow u whats that??

l Maximus l
03-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Halo Perfect

VCD i dont follow u whats that??

A VCD is a video CD, I think. To my understanding, and someone correct me if I am wrong, is that it's an audio CD that you play in your DVD player that will also include video effects on your TV screen.

mahalan
03-14-2002, 11:37 AM
Pretty much. People used them to create DVD wannabes before DVD technology. Never took hold in the US since DVDs came out so quickly but in Asia were pretty popular. They look a lot like a DVD but picture quality is nowhere near as good, no Dolby Digital, and limited data amount.

My guess is that the Xbox won't play VCDs since they don't claim to and it is another bitstream format that the unit would have to work with.

LynxFX
03-14-2002, 12:44 PM
There are plenty of legal movie VCD's as well. Stores like EB and Software Etc were the only ones that I saw that carried them a few years ago. It is mostly just Anime now being produced on VCD.

Kortiz
03-14-2002, 12:59 PM
hmmmmm, i have a lot of CDR's that i have played on my XBOX......i guess im the luckiest man a live ehh?

Hugh_Jass
03-14-2002, 01:01 PM
VCD has about the same video and audio quality as VHS. Normally, a full-length movie requires two CDs in VCD format.

mahalan
03-14-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH
hmmmmm, i have a lot of CDR's that i have played on my XBOX......i guess im the luckiest man a live ehh?

nah, a cdr isn't the same as a vcd

Kortiz
03-14-2002, 03:24 PM
hehe, when i said sompin about CDR working on my XBOX was refering to the guys who said that they couldnt get CDR's to work on their XBOX.....my comment had nothing to do with VCDs

DBXNY
03-14-2002, 09:53 PM
Think about what you're saying. It is impossible to burn a DVD on a CD burner. Why? Because a CD isn't a DVD!

A regular movie DVD holds NINE GIGs of data. It would take about fourteen CDs to hold that much data.

Yes, you can burn MPEG2 video to a CD...about 12 minutes worth. But that doesn't make it a DVD.

First Hugh, I thought I was going crazy, but then I found this website that confirms what I've seen. The discs I saw are called cDVDs or miniDVDs. It's just burning a small DVD structure onto a CDR/CDRW. Of course, as you mentioned, because of the disc size, you can only fit about 12-15minutes video on it.

http://www.vcdhelp.com/minidvd.htm

Apparently, not many standalone DVD players will play them. I would have thought as long as the player can read CDR/CDRWs they should, but if you click on the link to search for compatible players, it shows the contrary. But they should work on any computer with DVD playback software.