PDA

View Full Version : Just bought the new slim 4GB so what now?

x-box legend
12-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi Guys,

Just bought the new slim Xbox 4GB while my first generation Xbox 360 with 60GB is out for repair - finally a victim of the RROD after almost 5 years. So now I need to know the following as I am totally out of the loop on the new slim.

1. Do I need to do a transfer license first? If so, how am I going to connect to LIVE with my new slim if my new slim doesn't have my gamer tag or profile? I am pretty confused on all this...

2. If I don't get the transfer cable and opt for a USB, how reliable is the USB on getting all my info from my old 60GB first generation Xbox 360 transferred to the new slim? I'd spent countless hours reading the pros and cons and the jury's out with mixed reviews on the USB as compared to the transfer cable?

3. Considering the steeped price of $29.99 CDN at Best Buy for the transfer cable, what's a good chance that I can just get a used one on Ebay or Kijiji and reuse it? I heard you can only use the transfer cable once and then it becomes a dust collector.

I would really appreciate everyone's expertise

Variation-XBA
12-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Hi Guys,

Just bought the new slim Xbox 4GB while my first generation Xbox 360 with 60GB is out for repair - finally a victim of the RROD after almost 5 years. So now I need to know the following as I am totally out of the loop on the new slim.

1. Do I need to do a transfer license first? If so, how am I going to connect to LIVE with my new slim if my new slim doesn't have my gamer tag or profile? I am pretty confused on all this...

2. If I don't get the transfer cable and opt for a USB, how reliable is the USB on getting all my info from my old 60GB first generation Xbox 360 transferred to the new slim? I'd spent countless hours reading the pros and cons and the jury's out with mixed reviews on the USB as compared to the transfer cable?

3. Considering the steeped price of $29.99 CDN at Best Buy for the transfer cable, what's a good chance that I can just get a used one on Ebay or Kijiji and reuse it? I heard you can only use the transfer cable once and then it becomes a dust collector.

I would really appreciate everyone's expertise

1) You can do this a few different ways. You can guy the transfer cable and move all the stuff on your old HD to the new one. you can also use usb sticks to do this if you want to save money (cable is faster and easier though). You can recover your account on the new xbox and redownload whatever you want. You will have to be connected to LIVE to play your arcade stuff though now that you have a new xbox unless you want to transfer your licenses to the new xbox which will let you play whatever when not connected to live (don't need gold, just have to be connected)

2)USB will work fine, just tedious and much slower.

3) It can be used unlimited amount of times, so you can try and get a buddy to pitch in for one if you want, or yea buy a used one.

Ainokeatoo-XBA
12-31-2010, 02:59 AM
You don't need to use USB Sticks, you "can" use an external to do it all in one go if you have one laying around, an external hard drive.

x-box legend
12-31-2010, 03:37 AM
You don't need to use USB Sticks, you "can" use an external to do it all in one go if you have one laying around, an external hard drive.

Hi Ainokeatoo-XBA, yes but an external hard drive would also require a transfer cable correct?

Variation-XBA
12-31-2010, 03:39 AM

There's still a 16gb cap per device though.

Hi Ainokeatoo-XBA, yes but an external hard drive would also require a transfer cable correct?

as long as one end is usb, then no.

x-box legend
12-31-2010, 03:47 AM

Okay, I thought I got this one in the bag but then the mentioned of an external hard drive is now getting me off track. How does an external hard drive supposed to do it in one setting? Can you elaborate more on this?

Variation-XBA
12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Okay, I thought I got this one in the bag but then the mentioned of an external hard drive is now getting me off track. How does an external hard drive supposed to do it in one setting? Can you elaborate more on this?

You can transfer stuff from your old Xbox HD to the new one in 3 different ways:

1) Transfer cable made by Xbox. Easiest and quickest solution. One end plugs into old HD and usb end goes into new Xbox. Simple.

2) Portable USB HD. Plug usb into old Xbox, copy everything over to it. Then plug into new xbox and copy everything to it.

3) USB stick. Same as the HD, plug into old, copy, move to new one.

2 and 3 and the same step and done the same way, but you can use a usb stick or portable harddrive.

Steeps5
12-31-2010, 02:36 PM
I had friends argue with Microsoft to get a transfer cable for free. They typically complain that they should get it for free because Microsoft is "selling products that malfunction" and already have to spend a lot of money on a new Xbox. Doesn't hurt to try lol.

Ainokeatoo-XBA
12-31-2010, 04:20 PM

I was going on the assumption the most important things would fit within 16 gigs, though, e.e since I'm forced to stay within ten gigs on my Xbox hard drive, sixteen is a lot to work with so you know lol.

mattgame
12-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Well I'm enjoying mine thoroughly. It performs much better than the old one.

Steeps5
01-01-2011, 12:29 AM
You guys should also realize he bought the 4GB Xbox, so those data caps don't matter at all lol.