PDA

View Full Version : Kinect has been hacked! But in a good way.

Ainokeatoo
01-02-2011, 04:59 PM
62wj8eJ0FHw

I thought this was pretty cool I'm sure some people find this as interesting as I do lol. Either way, enjoy.

MoonTar
01-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Kinect was hacked around 2 or 3 weeks after it was launched so this really isn't new news, but it is still interesting. If the hacks get better I might just have to buy one. :)

Ainokeatoo
01-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Kinect was hacked around 2 or 3 weeks after it was launched so this really isn't new news, but it is still interesting. If the hacks get better I might just have to buy one. :)

True, it was, but in those cases Kinect was taken apart and used for little machines, at least by what i've seen, but this software allows for a person to use visual key strokes to operate not just the computer. But to operate in a computer game, this could be the start of Mass Effect 2 Like display panels, or at least I'd like to dream of.

MoonTar
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
True, it was, but in those cases Kinect was taken apart and used for little machines, at least by what i've seen, but this software allows for a person to use visual key strokes to operate not just the computer. But to operate in a computer game, this could be the start of Mass Effect 2 Like display panels, or at least I'd like to dream of.

I was talking about how drivers were released 3 hours after the European Launch. Video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKhW-cvpkks&feature=player_embedded). Wasn't the greatest thing but it worked.

M$ should have just made PC support for Kinect from the Launch themselves, they probably could have sold a lot more.

SpaceGhost2K
01-03-2011, 12:07 AM
They were selling them faster than they could make them as it was.

Technically, Kinect wasn't hacked because MS intentionally left the USB port open. Had it been closed where you had to do a workaround, then it would be a hack.

I think MS was very clever doing it this way because people get to be creative with it but they still have to pay for a license if they're going to sell their idea. And, whatever it is, they still have to buy a Kinect. Very, very smart.

Enamelized420
01-03-2011, 09:05 AM
That's very cool, not something I would ever enjoy w/ it but clever none the less... Thanks for sharing.