PDA

View Full Version : Can Morrowind be a Must Have without Online Play?

mahalan
03-14-2002, 09:19 AM
I've got to preface this thread with the information that I'm VERY excited about Morrowind's upcoming release. I'm an RPG player from WAY back (anyone remember Island of Kesmai on Compuserve or the original Adventure for the TRS-80?). The game sounds absolutely awesome.

What I'm wondering is, can Morrowind get the critical acclaim once it's released since it doesn't incorporate online play? The major RPGs out right now are MMORPGs. The incorporation of hundreds of other players into the game provides elements that NPCs just can't. Granted, a lot of what they incorporate many of us can do without but overall it adds an additional dimension to the game. Do we demand this element from RPGs now? Can a project (even as exciting as Morrowind) be successful without it?

JJaX
03-14-2002, 09:23 AM
Its not a MMORPG

Its a RPG that evolves around a single players actions.........

But im sure with time, the xbox will get its share of MMORPGs!

*prays for star wars galaxies. *

mahalan
03-14-2002, 09:27 AM
Correct.

I'm just wondering if the time has passed for RPGs in favor of MMORPGs.

JJaX
03-14-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by mahalan
Correct.

I'm just wondering if the time has passed for RPGs in favor of MMORPGs.

Id say majority of console gamers prefer RPGS being they never played MMORPGs onthere PC's. But once online becomes mainstream popularity with MMORPGS will take over. But as far as Single player RPGS go, They will never die.

mahalan
03-14-2002, 10:15 AM
I'm thinking this may be true for the Xbox version of Morrowind. I'm also thinking this may be what dooms the PC version. Most PC RPG'ers are quite accustomed to MMORPGs (like myself) and it's difficult to imagine being enthusiastic about a single player RPG.

JJaX
03-14-2002, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking this may be true for the Xbox version of Morrowind. I'm also thinking this may be what dooms the PC version. Most PC RPG'ers are quite accustomed to MMORPGs (like myself) and it's difficult to imagine being enthusiastic about a single player RPG.

RPGS are more about plot fdevelopment.
MMORPGS are more for live player interaction

2 different types of games if you ask me...

Hugh_Jass
03-14-2002, 12:49 PM
Baldur's Gate on the PC was a huge hit and it isn't MMORPG. Yes, there were multiplayer capabilities but that isn't the same.

ES3 appears to be a fantastic single player experience and that is all I'm looking for.

tech
03-15-2002, 12:10 AM
Sometimes it is just nice to play by yourself and not have to follow the rules of the MMORPG . I love RPG games but nothing beats having some buddies over to play some sports or racing games. The RPG is for me to play not to have some moderator tell me that I'm not suppose to steal hit points from another player. That's just my feelings now I'm just counting down until Morrowind comes out.

xboxpebbles
03-15-2002, 04:53 AM
I've got to preface this thread with the information that I'm VERY excited about Morrowind's upcoming release. I'm an RPG player from WAY back (anyone remember Island of Kesmai on Compuserve or the original Adventure for the TRS-80?). The game sounds absolutely awesome.

What I'm wondering is, can Morrowind get the critical acclaim once it's released since it doesn't incorporate online play? The major RPGs out right now are MMORPGs. The incorporation of hundreds of other players into the game provides elements that NPCs just can't. Granted, a lot of what they incorporate many of us can do without but overall it adds an additional dimension to the game. Do we demand this element from RPGs now? Can a project (even as exciting as Morrowind) be successful without it?

1 word: ABSOLUTELY !
:)