PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Championship Rumor



wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 02:13 PM
Can someone confirm for me a rumor I heard.

I heard that in Unreal Championship, you won't be able to pick up weapons. Only ammo.

The only weapons youll have in your inventory will be those that you have earned in single player mode. Therefore, your ability in multiplayer will depend on how well you did in signle player.

So is it true that you'll only be able to use weapons that you earned in single player.. in multiplayer????

l Maximus l
03-14-2002, 02:17 PM
Hmm...I haven't heard that rumor...but, that would be tough considering that there are 25 different playable characters on the game. But, we'll see, I guess! All I know is that I can't wait!!!

Brevity
03-14-2002, 03:03 PM
PlanetXbox (http://www.planetxbox.com/features/firstlooks/unrealchampionship/)


Here what you want to know. "Another interesting twist to the usual FPS fare is Unreal Championship's weapon system. No longer will players hunt an arena for the biggest, baddest weapon, as the developers feel the gameplay is about individual skills, and not just outrunning the next guy so you can outgun him at the draw. Combatants will start their matches with only the weapons they have earned (or "unlocked") thus far. The really serious weaponry will have to be earned, but once earned it's yours to keep. Ammunition for said weaponry will still have to be found, but instead of randomly placed pick-ups, players will have to dock themselves in "stations" that supply ammunition. This leaves you open to attack as you "refill", much the same way a race car driver loses precious seconds when making pit stops. Incidentally, these "pit" areas do not have limitless resources, so you may have to find one that actually has something left."
:cool: Please read the whole article its great.

shererboat
03-14-2002, 03:08 PM
wow, good read!!!

with or without the new weapon scheme, im still looking forward to it!!!!

DZNUTZ
03-14-2002, 03:09 PM
that sounds very interesting...can't wait to see it implemented......now just for the Voicecomminicater so i can talk trash to ya'll right before i frag ya.

l Maximus l
03-14-2002, 03:12 PM
Wow!!! I'm loving this! So, it appears that the game will have a mode similar to the "campaign" mode on Halo...and, the further you are on that, the more weapons you uncover as you go along and can use those in multi-player! How ingenious!!! I hope they launch this game a couple weeks before it goes on-line so we can build our arsenals!

* * * Max proceeds to urinate his boxers * * *

JJaX
03-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Yo Shererbaot, I cant wait to square off my Squad vs your Squad for some good training!

l Maximus l
03-14-2002, 04:38 PM
One of the coolest things about Unreal Championship is that you can play against bots if you want to instead of playing real players while on-line. And, the cool thing about playing bots in Unreal Championship is that while you improve your skills, so do the bots! This makes for an excellent training opportunity!

wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 06:11 PM
Hmmm... I think this provides an "un"uncentive for people to buy the game. I usually don't play that much single player, and Im worried that I might not get all the weapons I want.

I usually find single player a lot more boring and less skillful than the action-packed multiplayer. This game is suppose to be compliant with MS's internet services so why would they create such a flaw in the game???

LynxFX
03-14-2002, 06:15 PM
It never said that you can't earn those weapons in multiplayer mode. It could be that everyone starts out with a pistol online and as your stats go up you earn more weapons. Who knows.

wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Hmm... you have a good point. I never thought of it that way. And maybe Coop will be online as well. They shouldve made Halo Coop online too. Too bad :( maybe I would still be playing it right now.

LynxFX
03-14-2002, 06:20 PM
Yeah coop via system link(online) with Halo would be sweet. I hate split screens no matter how big my screen is. It is still annoying.

l Maximus l
03-14-2002, 06:21 PM
I think it's ingenious to be able to gain a more powerful arsenal as you improve your skills! That's the beauty that surrounds Unreal Championship...it's centered on skill! So, the better you get, the larger the arsenal gets! This will seriously seperate the men from the boys! :D

LynxFX
03-14-2002, 06:27 PM
Only problem I see is for people that have had the game a while and end up with the 'Instant Torso Pop" gun or whatever plays against someone that just got the game and only has a "Sweet Pea Shooter" and ends up owning them with no chance for the pea shooter.

That would get frustrating, just like playing against the morons that use aimbots or no clipping cheats etc.

Hopefully those issues were looked at and taken care of.

l Maximus l
03-14-2002, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but, Lynxfx...that's why people need to buy this game the moment it comes out!! :D I know I am, that's for sure!

I plan on building up my arsenal by playing against some AI...so, when I play on-line, I will have a nice little flame thrower to get my opponents a little taste of what a toasted ass tastes like! :D

LynxFX
03-14-2002, 06:39 PM
Oh hell yeah. I'll be the first with that "Instant Torso Popping" gun. :D

l Maximus l
03-14-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Oh hell yeah. I'll be the first with that "Instant Torso Popping" gun. :D

hehe...nice! It's kind of a toss up for me...pretty much between the "Instand Torso Popping gun" and the "Take the meat off your knee cap laser pistol" :D

hehe

Actually, you know what one of the real weapons are? There is actually a paint gun! No joke! But, this is no ordinary paint gun...what it does is it puts these neon yellow spots on your oppenent and then seconds later, a blazing streak of lighting from the heavens scorches the opponent wherever the spots are on the opponent! Did someone have a serious nightmare when they thought of this!?!? :D

LynxFX
03-14-2002, 06:51 PM
LOL that is awesome. Some of my favorite weapons were in the game Duke Nukem 3D. The shrink ray ruled. Shrink them then run and stomp on them. The freeze ray was fun too.

I'm super pumped for this game now.

Brevity
03-14-2002, 08:48 PM
I have read like everything I can (and thats alot) about this game and the 1 thing I have not found out is will it support more than 2 teams. I would love it if it did. I hte that Halo only has 2 teams.:( Does any body know and what do you hope for?

Toder
03-15-2002, 02:57 AM
Wow I just got more psyched for this game after reading that article. Thanks Brevity.

Man i can't wait to kill some of you with my weapon of choice.




















The double pistols :cool: :cool: :cool:

Huckleberry
03-15-2002, 03:11 AM
i imagine the developers must have listened to a lot of halo player's input on how they could make this game better. after reading the article, it seems like they've addressed quite a few of the complaints i've had or have read about here.

brev, that would be awesome if they made this so 4+ teams could play...especially if this is capable of 32 players. i'd much rather have 4 eight person teams than 2 sixteen player teams.

i have to say, after reading the article, unreal has climbed past project ego to become my most anticipated game for 02!

sinizuh
03-15-2002, 03:59 AM
one of the best features i'm waiting for on UC, is global rankings... :D

Dre
03-15-2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by wwfomaniac
Hmm... you have a good point. I never thought of it that way. And maybe Coop will be online as well. They shouldve made Halo Coop online too. Too bad :( maybe I would still be playing it right now.

Hey man.. wanna trade for Halo then? hehehe.. if you ain't playing.. I've got PGR or DoA3 for it.. we're both from Ottawa so at least we won't get scammed..

JJaX
03-15-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Huckleberry
i imagine the developers must have listened to a lot of halo player's input on how they could make this game better. after reading the article, it seems like they've addressed quite a few of the complaints i've had or have read about here.



I dont think they listened to halo players at all :D

Infrogames have been making great FPS for quite some time and the unreal series covers all your multiplayer needs. Halo only having the abilty to have 2 teams was more of a mistake or lack of time.

Brevity
03-15-2002, 10:35 AM
B/4 Halo my #1 FPS was Perfect Dark. I loved all those states it kept up with over time. I always have wished the same thing were in Halo,,,(most of all melee, one shot head kills) (I will do anything 4 those, and nothing gets me more pumped) Anyway ya global states will rock.:)

Highlite23
03-15-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
Wow!!! I'm loving this! So, it appears that the game will have a mode similar to the "campaign" mode on Halo...and, the further you are on that, the more weapons you uncover as you go along and can use those in multi-player! How ingenious!!! I hope they launch this game a couple weeks before it goes on-line so we can build our arsenals!

* * * Max proceeds to urinate his boxers * * *

For starters, Max i'll send over some Depends.......

I agree with Max, this is a fresh and new change to a game thats been around for some time. Max, i'll be looking for the charecter with the diaper on, when we go on-line..........LOL

Batman2372
03-15-2002, 01:10 PM
I didn't get the impression that the "building your aresenal" bit was part of the multiplayer functioning. That really would mean that those that got the game first would be the best and would take out anyone who was new to the game based not on skill, but how long they've played.

That's not really fair, and complaints would abound.

But maybe I'm wrong....

shererboat
03-15-2002, 02:00 PM
i think this would be more of a plus than a negative.....

this way u would pretty much half to beat most single player modes to get a good arsenal, b4 u went on line to play multiplayer....

this would def could clear the area of alot of newbs that just jump online b4 theyre a bit good at the game.......

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Brevity
I have read like everything I can (and thats alot) about this game and the 1 thing I have not found out is will it support more than 2 teams. I would love it if it did. I hte that Halo only has 2 teams.:( Does any body know and what do you hope for?

You know, that is an excellent question! I'm not sure...I have also thought about that, too. Though, I don't "hate" Halo for not having that, and I don't think you truly do either, but, it would have been nice to have this in addition to Halo's multi-player. That definately could make things even more interesting!

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by highlite23


For starters, Max i'll send over some Depends.......

I agree with Max, this is a fresh and new change to a game thats been around for some time. Max, i'll be looking for the charecter with the diaper on, when we go on-line..........LOL

hehe...Just hunt for the pampers! I'll be there! But, don't be surprise if I'm waiting with a nice flame thrower ;) hehe

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by shererboat
i think this would be more of a plus than a negative.....

this way u would pretty much half to beat most single player modes to get a good arsenal, b4 u went on line to play multiplayer....

this would def could clear the area of alot of newbs that just jump online b4 theyre a bit good at the game.......

I agree...but, personally, while I am competing, the last thing I will care or be concerned about is how much my opponent has built up their arsenal ;)

For me, I'm getting this game the second it is released! Too bad for the late comers as they will see the ass end of my Rocket Launcher! :D

shererboat
03-15-2002, 02:32 PM
true max!!!.....but unlike halo, they wont just be eating one rocket at a time, they may be at the s4it end of 10!!!!!

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by shererboat
true max!!!.....but unlike halo, they wont just be eating one rocket at a time, they may be at the s4it end of 10!!!!!

Exactly...we want only hardcore Unreal Championship gamers playing on-line...the newbies that come on that aren't intelligent enough to build up their arsenal will slowly diminish or get better....so, this way there will always be a challenge! I want to play against hardcore Unreal gamers! Not half assed idiots that think it's fun getting blown up by Maximus! :D

Batman2372
03-15-2002, 03:03 PM
I don't think it's right to tell someone that PAID MONEY just like everyone else for the game that they aren't going to be able to use the full capabilities of the game they purchased because 1. They didn't get it as soon as it came out and 2. They aren't as good as those that did.

I say that if the "pro gamers" want to make sure that they're not having to play against newbies, a premium service should be offered that you can only get in based on your progression AS WELL AS the current system of everyone can get in.

Don't get me wrong. I'd much rather be playing with the likes of yall than a bunch of people that just started. But remember that that this isn't like a professional sporting association. This is more like T-Ball, where everyone gets to play for and ONLY for the sake of having fun. Not everyone wants to put in the time to become a FPS god only to be slaughtered by them. In my opinion, that can take down the entire game.

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Batman2372
I don't think it's right to tell someone that PAID MONEY just like everyone else for the game that they aren't going to be able to use the full capabilities of the game they purchased because 1. They didn't get it as soon as it came out and 2. They aren't as good as those that did.

I say that if the "pro gamers" want to make sure that they're not having to play against newbies, a premium service should be offered that you can only get in based on your progression AS WELL AS the current system of everyone can get in.

Don't get me wrong. I'd much rather be playing with the likes of yall than a bunch of people that just started. But remember that that this isn't like a professional sporting association. This is more like T-Ball, where everyone gets to play for and ONLY for the sake of having fun. Not everyone wants to put in the time to become a FPS god only to be slaughtered by them. In my opinion, that can take down the entire game.


I completely understand your reasoning...and I agree. Keep in mind that there will be several different bouts that people can make while on-line. They could have a newbie forum and so on. So, no worries there :)

But, I was speaking as a competitor...and, yes, I agree 100% that it's all about fun!! You bet! I'm simply saying that the last thing I am concerned about is someone else's arsenal... Let's say I just started and I am battling against others that have built an impressive arsenal of weapons and so on.... To me, this motivates me to get the weapons I need to be more competitive! So, while I am playing agianst bots and the like and gaining more skill and weaponry, I can apply those things while going back on-line and hunting down the people that originally got me motivated to do so!

You see, this is what fun is to me :D Personally, I am a huge fan of games that give me a challenge...and you probably are, too! The thing is, I want to get this game the moment it comes out...and if any opponent crosses my path, I'm going to put up a good fight regardless of what their arsenal is that they managed to build up! I find this to be ingenious!!! :D

Toder
03-15-2002, 05:29 PM
Personally i think this is truely awesome th eway they have everything set up n this game. First of all the whole weapons schemem sounds totally great. i've always felt it was best to beat a game first before going online and trying to go at with a bunch of people.

What else i like about this game is the ability of it being able to calibrate your controller automaticlly with you having no tto adjust anything because the game is measures everything you do and then calibrates the controller for you so it will be customized foro your use.

Well withg all the new weapons with this game i will still have to stay with some personally favorites if they still have them. How can for get the flak cannon that you could shoot down those nukes or rockets with. Or the bio hazard gun cause of you were not careful you would kill yourself. But still my fav is the doulbe pistols which i will kill you with Maximous.

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Toder
Well withg all the new weapons with this game i will still have to stay with some personally favorites if they still have them. How can for get the flak cannon that you could shoot down those nukes or rockets with. Or the bio hazard gun cause of you were not careful you would kill yourself. But still my fav is the doulbe pistols which i will kill you with Maximous.

hehe...I look forward to watching you try, my friend! ;)

clownbow
03-15-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by wwfomaniac
Can someone confirm for me a rumor I heard.

I heard that in Unreal Championship, you won't be able to pick up weapons. Only ammo.

The only weapons youll have in your inventory will be those that you have earned in single player mode. Therefore, your ability in multiplayer will depend on how well you did in signle player.

So is it true that you'll only be able to use weapons that you earned in single player.. in multiplayer????

if that does happen i won't be buying that game..
i love unreal tournament. 10/10