PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy playing XBOX on a 100" TV for $10 (on ebay, not a scam)

wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 05:41 PM
I don't think a lot of Xbox gamers out there know about this 100" TV Projection lens that costs $10 US on ebay (with shipping).

Its gaining a lot of publicity and more people are finding out about it. I bought mine about a month ago. I don't use it because I have yet to get a 13" TV, but I know it works fine.

The reason I don't use it is because I don't have a 13" TV. It works with 13" to 19" TVs but I dont like the quality on my 19" TV. The middle is all right, but the sides get a bit blurry. When i get my 13" TV, I'll set it up.

If you wan't, go to www.ebay.com and look up "100" and "TV".

or goto http://cq-search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=100+tv&ebaytag1code=2&shortcut=3&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

All it is, is a thing paper sized plastic sheet with curves that allow the image to be magnified into a bigger size. Thats why it costs $10. It probably costs about $1 to make, but its in so high demand that theyre selling it for $10.

looks like this: /|/|/|/|/|/|/| |\|\|\|\|\|\|\ from the side.

If you have any questions ask me or look at my pictures.

This is the perfect item for any tight budgetted gamer. And it works!! Just make sure you are using a 13" TV. It works best with a 13" tv.

http://members.rogers.com/wwfomaniac/Untitled-2.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/wwfomaniac/Untitled-1.jpg

* The picture is a bit curved because I didn't tape the lens onto the cardboard well enough.

Spaztic
03-14-2002, 05:46 PM
Tell you what, the curved thing he is talking about is called a frensel lense. It is a lense that is used for overhead projectors....You can pick one up at any office supply store for about $3-$4 dollars. Since I am such a nice guy I will even provide a free link that tells you how to make the projector. I haven't made mine yet but I am going to try once I have enough time....Tell me how it turns out! ENJOY!

http://bstvcentral.b0x.com/

hey wwfomaniac if that is the setup on the bottom picture, I know why it is blurry around the ends, check the link and you will see as well, I believe you need the frensel lense as a circle, and size (of the tv) dosn't matter (only on this project:D ).

LynxFX
03-14-2002, 05:49 PM
Don't waste your money let alone time. It is a fresnel lens that you can purchase at any Barnes & Nobles or office supply store. It is a full page magnifier.

The instructions are free online if you do want to make it. Can't remember the link at the moment.

Overall the outcome sucks. It is a fun novelty at best. Besides your tv must be turned upside down, and left is right and right is left. Makes playing games hard unless you complicate the setup by using mirrors to reverse the image. Also with your tv upside down you can get some color bleeding and even ruin your tv where it needs to get degaussed.

Don't give those punks on Ebay your money though.

wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 05:50 PM
Yeah I've been to that website too. I knew it was fresnel. But you claim you can get it at any office supply store??

Can you get it at a store like future shop or Office Depot (staples in canada). ????

wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Don't waste your money let alone time. It is a fresnel lens that you can purchase at any Barnes & Nobles or office supply store. It is a full page magnifier.

The instructions are free online if you do want to make it. Can't remember the link at the moment.

Overall the outcome sucks. It is a fun novelty at best. Besides your tv must be turned upside down, and left is right and right is left. Makes playing games hard unless you complicate the setup by using mirrors to reverse the image. Also with your tv upside down you can get some color bleeding and even ruin your tv where it needs to get degaussed.

The colour bleeding is only true if your TV cannot stand upside down. I know that many TVs can be turned upside down.... others no. I know that my Sanyo TV cant be. If you do turn your TV upside down and colour changes, turn it back... you could ruin it if you leave it longterm. Like the "Dont stick magnets near tv's rule"

The left is right and right is left thing is false. It project perfectly on the wall. You are hearing this from someone who has it. Can you please find the link for me on the barnes and noble website?

LynxFX
03-14-2002, 05:53 PM
Yeah I made one too. The image is reversed.

Yes Office Depot carries them, Staples and Barnes and Nobles. It is for people that have trouble seeing. They lay it on a page of a book and it is 2x or 3x bigger.

I don't have a link. Just go to their store.

Spaztic
03-14-2002, 05:56 PM

That is right on!

Yeah I've been to that website too. I knew it was fresnel. But you claim you can get it at any office supply store??

I got one from office max for ~$4, all it is overhead projector magnifying lense (like in high school) they are pretty common. Honestly you can get them anywhere!

Spaztic
03-14-2002, 05:59 PM
I haven't tried but from what I heard the image is reversed as well. you need mirrors to filp it back to normal. This is a getto projector, it is like LYNXFX said, this is a novelty item.

wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 06:06 PM
Oh sorry. What I thought Lynx meant that after you turn the TV, its still horizontally reversed. I don't think the quality is that bad. the only problems is in reading small words. I honestly don't think its bad. If you wanted, you could make the screen smaller. It seems to work fine... I'm going to head over to office depot and buy another one.

It is reversed, but all you hafta do is turn your tv upside down.

LynxFX
03-14-2002, 06:14 PM
I mean reversed like you were looking in a mirror. Left is right, right is left.

If normally Player 1 is on the left side of the screen and Player 2 is on the right side, then with the projected image Player 1 is now on the right side and Player 2 is on the left. Then to move you must push left to go right or right to go left. Think of it like driving a battlebot that got flipped upside down.

The writing is also reversed so it looks like an Ambulance. That is why it isn't good for gaming even if you do get it focused right. Setting up a mirror is a pain in the arse. :)

mahalan
03-14-2002, 06:24 PM
In addition to the image being reversed, the quality will SUCK as well. Images look really nice on small screens because the pixel density per inch is really high. Expand this out to a 100" screen and the pixel density goes down proportionately. Until they start making 13"-19" HDTVs forget about this. It's just a low budget, ghetto, front projection TV.

Romo28
03-14-2002, 07:16 PM
Well, I have a thought.

What if you combined to lenses? You would not need to turn the TV upside down but you would still get projection. Or would you? Anyway, if the lenses were positioned a small distance apart, you would have the correct positioning on the wall without losing to much sharpness wouldnt you?

Ahh, just my 2 cents.

wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Romo28
Well, I have a thought.

What if you combined to lenses? You would not need to turn the TV upside down but you would still get projection. Or would you? Anyway, if the lenses were positioned a small distance apart, you would have the correct positioning on the wall without losing to much sharpness wouldnt you?

Ahh, just my 2 cents.

I doubt that would work... but its an idea.

I put this thread up so that mayeb some ppl would be interested. Its cheap and I think its better than playing a a small TV. This is a great idea for those who play on smaller TVs. It may not be as ideal for ppl with 24" > tv screen... but its an idea.

Frostberg
03-14-2002, 08:17 PM
or you can just buy a real HDTV projector...

DeathKnightMaF
03-14-2002, 08:31 PM
Or you can buy one of these...

http://www.avdeals.com/IMAGES/infocus_lp925.gif

And get the best quality ;)

wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 08:58 PM
lol..... those are thousand of dollars for a good one.

Frostberg
03-14-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by wwfomaniac
lol..... those are thousand of dollars for a good one.

Thats the price of quality, and something that works!

Hugh_Jass
03-14-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Romo28
Well, I have a thought.

Ahh, just my 2 cents.

I think you would just decrease the light output and double the distortion.

wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 10:29 PM
Well... in the case of "ban for your buck", this lens serves well. For $10 (or less).... You can easily manage to make at least a 60" TV from a 13" tv.

A real projector would cost in the thousands... and why not just buy a big screen??

So... thats why I posted this. Because its a good deal and not a lot of money to waste. If are playing on a 32" TV, wouldnt you rather play on a 60"+ TV??

sinizuh
03-14-2002, 10:37 PM

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!11

i know. i've made one... you get what you paid for. and because you paid $15 for it, you get a 100" screen but since it's sooo blurry, it's idiotic and useless...

i'd rather be playing on a 32" sharp screen than a blurry ass 60" image on my wall.

wweomaniac
03-14-2002, 10:49 PM
OMG. I bought one too and I don't think its a scam. I'm sure if you tried it on a smaller TV that it would work better. Maybe you were having the same problems as me with a 19". Or maybe you set it up wrong. It works fine on my 19" except the sides are a bit blurry. The middle is perfect, so that is why I am condiering to buy a 13" TV to go with this.

Rochey69r
03-15-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

good on ya Lynx

but i finally got my prodjector up and running and all it could do was make a tiny screen on the wall about 3 inches by 3inches.

lol what the??

mahalan
03-15-2002, 08:19 AM
I can only imagine that the guy promoting these things here is the actual SELLER on Ebay.

Face it, televisions were not made to be projectors.

You're going to lose brightness and sharpness from the lens and this will be compounded by projecting it onto a wall. Ignoring the fact that you've now got an upside down, reversed image; you're going to have to play in a dark room to even see it. By the time you make sure you can turn your TV upside down without permanently damaging it and find a way to reverse the image; you're still talking about a dim, blurry picture. If that's what you want, why'd you buy an Xbox?

Save your $10 and put it towards your next game. It'll provide you with MUCH more enjoyment.

Spaztic
03-15-2002, 09:19 AM
you are getting what you pay for that is for sure. If you use a monitor the picture won't be as pixilized. The size of the tv dosn't matter, they all have the same dot pitch.

Hugh_Jass
03-15-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by bryanhls
you are getting what you pay for that is for sure. If you use a monitor the picture won't be as pixilized. The size of the tv dosn't matter, they all have the same dot pitch.

Hmmm...why do you say that? I would think you would perceive pixels more with a computer monitor than a television because the picture is so much sharper.

Furthermore, I think the size of the TV is relevant. While it's true that 480P is 480P regardless if your television is 13" or 30". But a 30" picture will not have to be magnified as much to achieve 100" dispersion. It would lose less brightness, too.

I've never attempted this feat so I don't know if my assumptions are correct or not.

GokuX
03-15-2002, 11:59 AM
To make the image right U just put a mirror in front of it and leaning away at an angle. It's simple, takes like half a minute to position it.

LynxFX
03-15-2002, 12:11 PM
One thing that I don't think anyone has considered is the sheer size of this thing once made. Take a 19" tv for instance. When you build this box to go around the tv it turns the tv into almost 3 feet long! Then when you actually try to project the image and focus it up you will find that the whole setup can only be about 4 feet from the wall for even a 100" screen. So you have this huge box and tv (19"w x 19"h x 36"d) that is centered with the screen, so roughly 4 feet off the ground and only 4 feet away from the wall/screen. That is a huge obtrusion. That is just for a regular home made projector which is useless for playing games because it reverses the image and controls. Now if you add in a mirror to reverse things the box almost doubles in size and you must move the projector even closer to the wall.

Using two lenses is virtually impossible.

Even if you do get everything working right and focused, the entire image is surrounded by a blurry image. This just comes with the lens and no matter how much you focus it will still be blurry either in the center or the edge.

There is only one setup where this has actually worked to a surprisingly high degree. The setup cost around $500. The person took a 2" color LCD screen that was from a portable tv and put it in a high powered slide projector. This gave them a small unit with better light output than a tv and a decent image. They tweaked some other stuff but I forget what it was. They had to do something to cool the unit because the light would actually heat up the LCD screen too much and after 5 minutes it was gone.

I do admit that I made one before I bought a real projector because I was curious and for $4 bucks, what the heck. My tv did start to bleed but I was able to stop it in time with no perminent damage. I won't try it again because it isn't worth ruining the tv.

It is a unique project and heck, if I was back in school I would make one for a science project or something.

Rochey69,

LOL only you would be able to make a 3"x3" screen. :D

Spaztic
03-15-2002, 12:14 PM
well with a monitor the pixils are closer together so the picure dosn't look as grainy as a normal tv. I personally think the smaller the tv the better! just because it dosn't take up as much room! I really don't think that the size matters because when you start getting a larger screen it might be brighter but I thing you will have problems capturing the entire image. But then again I have never tried this either, I am just talking out of my ass, hopefully I will have enough time this weekend to give it a try! I am doing my with a pos 13' inch tv! I will let you all know how it turns out!