PDA

View Full Version : A Potential End to the Call of Duty Series

EMX
05-31-2011, 08:10 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html?KEYWORDS=Call+of+Duty

I'm pretty sure we'd all refuse to pay a MONTHLY FEE just to play Call of Duty online right? I'd switch to Battlefield in an instant.

Enamelized420
05-31-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm on the fence about this once because I feel that most of the people that complain and cheat etc won't probably pay to play so that can eliminate that segment of players and possibly make it a better online experience.

In reading the article you will still be able to play online but the new Elite will be where the monthly fee goes to:"In an interview, Activision Chief Executive Bobby Kotick said he isn't worried about pushback from gamers about the Call of Duty Elite fee because players will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service. While he is coy about many of the offerings that will be included in the service, Mr. Kotick said Call of Duty Elite, and the customer-service operation that will be needed to support it, wouldn't be possible if the service was free. "This is an enormous investment," he said."

Will have to just see what more they roll out about it w/ E3 coming up and once it nears release time Nov 8th 2011...

Variation-XBA
05-31-2011, 10:52 AM
It's not a pay service to play online, it's a service to see your games stats and whatnot. I have an article about ti readyt o go up so watch the front page for it.

EMX
05-31-2011, 04:19 PM
I still find it hard to believe that ANYONE is going to pay the extra 7 or 8 dollars a month just to view their stats and what not. Regardless, this will take away from the Multiplayer experience because you know certain aspects that make CoD multiplayer so popular will be stripped from players and put up in the form of a subscription. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Variation-XBA
05-31-2011, 04:54 PM
I still find it hard to believe that ANYONE is going to pay the extra 7 or 8 dollars a month just to view their stats and what not. Regardless, this will take away from the Multiplayer experience because you know certain aspects that make CoD multiplayer so popular will be stripped from players and put up in the form of a subscription. I guess we will have to wait and see.

this has absolutely nothing to do with multiplayer or in-game. It's their version of bungie.net stats taken to another level.

Unreal
05-31-2011, 08:51 PM
this has absolutely nothing to do with multiplayer or in-game. It's their version of bungie.net stats taken to another level.
Yet bungie.net does almost all of it for free.

Variation-XBA
05-31-2011, 11:26 PM
Yet bungie.net does almost all of it for free.

Oh I know, I'm not standing up for them, I'm just trying to clarify the misconceptions of what Elite actually is (my writeup should be on frontpage soon)

Ainokeatoo
06-01-2011, 02:17 PM
5cXyvu-lnGk

Vamp posted a video about it, think of Rockstars social club but you now pay for it. Stupid idea imo.

Variation-XBA
06-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Here's my writeup about it to kind of give a better idea of what it is.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/Article/190/Call-of-Duty-Elite-and-MW3-Sneak-Peek!.html

Symmetric-XBA
06-02-2011, 12:48 PM
still a bad idea... charging people a monthly fee just for checking stats? now they say that if you pay for that service then you also get the CoD web series as well. things just keep getting worse for this franchise.

Nurb
06-02-2011, 04:22 PM
This is what you get when you buy map packs and horse armor, you give those greedy execs ideas for DLC spiraling out of control.

Not only are you going to pay your LIVE subscription, regular DLC and arcade content, you're going to pay for seperate subscriptions to companies for access to the second half of the content for this and other future full priced $60-$80 games. It's "metascription". This is also why companies don't support the PC as much and don't allow dedicated servers; because they want the control so they can force you into subscriptions

Oh well, at least some of us can say we were blessed enough to experience the golden age of gaming where there were dozens of independent developers (instead of 3-4 corporations that own everyone) that actually made games to fit a genre, didn't make risk-free watered down games to please shareholders and DLC items were free between expansion packs as a reward for customer loyalty. The last days of this ended when all XBOX LIVE content stopped being free in the early 2000's.

These days "loyal customer" is a sucker who the companies can nickle and dime more money from.

I'm pretty sure we'd all refuse to pay a MONTHLY FEE just to play Call of Duty online right? I'd switch to Battlefield in an instant.
I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of complaints, screaming for boycotss, and angry rants, but in the end they'll all pull out their wallets. It's easy to boycott something before it's released as recent releases have showin in the past few years

RalliArtEvo
06-02-2011, 07:47 PM
LoL, unbelievable that they are trying this (well actually its not considering its activision) If this does well enough, EXPECT CoD to go pay to play monthly in the future.

MrMustard
06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
If its only a couple bucks i might try it out. If not then at least we can still play online.