PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex, what are your impressions?

Symmetric-XBA
08-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Ok now that Deus Ex has been out for about a week, I'm wondering what the ppl here @ XBA think about it?!? Personally I love the options for gameplay that it offers you (stealth, full out assault, knock outs, kills, etc..) and the augmentations in this title offer some amazing new experiences for gameplay. On a personal note, I have fallen in LOVE with the soundtrack for this game lol. Thanks goes to Ralliartevo for twisting my arm until I finally broke down, bought the last augmented edt. that my gamestop had and now I find myself sitting here for well over 9+ hours a day just wanting more and more from this game.

What do you guys think about it??

Steeps5
09-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Well... I was going to write this last night but fell asleep lol (not a pun).

So, the main thing for me: the game feels slow. This is coming from a person who puts in 30+ hours to GTA IV and Mass Effect 1 & 2 playthroughs.

It also didn't keep my interest very well. I played about two or three hours and lost motivation to play it. I just wasn't compelled to keep playing.

I mainly think that the whole combat/firearm gameplay isn't what it could be. My biggest issue with the game is that you cannot aim your gun. It is almost like a mix of blind firing and actually aiming. I will say you can blind fire a gun, but at the same time, you can't actually aim down sights or make your shots more accurate in any way.

Here's a better way to describe it: "shooting from the hip." Even though he shoots from shoulder level, the bullet spread feels like it's from the hip.

For having augmented arms you would think he'd be extremely accurate.

I will add that the augmentations are pretty cool and some will give a major advantage in combat, while some help with stealth, radar, etc.

The story. From what I saw, it seemed like a very loosely tied story. I may be wrong of course, but that's what I experienced. It involves you (the main character), working as security for a very large company that creates augmentations for humans. At the same time, there are many factions that are pro-human (against augmentations). As you can expect, these factions try to attack the corporation and commit acts of terrorism. There is an expo (or similar) event coming up at which the lead doctor on augmentations is set to present. Terrorists then attack (and I think) kidnap her. You are then sent to a warehouse to rid it of terrorists who took over to steal a new product your company had invented. I got a little past that but don't quite remember it.

Overall, I can't say I like the gameplay very much, the cover system is pretty good, but gunplay is not. The stealth part is fairly well thought out, but it's very obvious the layouts were designed to give you easy cover.

Symmetric-XBA
09-01-2011, 03:59 PM
give it a chance man, it just may surprise you. i'm currently playing it on the hardest difficulty and goin for the achvs of legend (beat game on hardest difficulty), pacifist (go through the game and kill no one except boss fights), and Foxiest of the Hounds (go through without triggering any alarm). it's def. intense and the story is more surprising than you may think. while I hear what you're saying about the aiming, there are augmentations to help you with that. don't give up on it man, you just may be surprised.

SamSmith
09-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I played the previous game on the original xbox. I can't remember what my over all opinion was, but I was generally engaged and enjoyed it then.

I've seen a few trailers of this one though and to be honest it's not really inspiring me. It seems to be just me though, as everyone else seems to love it.

Symmetric-XBA
09-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm going to be posting up a dl link for XBA members for the soundtrack for this game. For those who know me I'm prob. one of the biggest audiophile (audio snobs) on here lol, and this soundtrack is F'ING SICK!!! It came with the augmented edt. of the game and for those who picked it up I STRONGLY reccomend just listening to it!!

I'm about to drop what i'm doing and head right into the studio and begin work on something amazing.... mmmmmmmmm dam this music is incredible.

RalliArtEvo
09-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Well... I was going to write this last night but fell asleep lol (not a pun).

So, the main thing for me: the game feels slow. This is coming from a person who puts in 30+ hours to GTA IV and Mass Effect 1 & 2 playthroughs.

all I can say about your impressions is.....you didn't play it long enough. If you made it just past the warehouse mission, you haven't even seen what the gunplay really can be. The first mission is basically the training to get you used to the different aspects of gameplay. You don't really get to upgrade your character until after this mission.

At your current level, you actually don't have hardly any skills yet and there are specific augmentations to help with gunplay, if that's the type of character you chose. Once you start to unlock more augs and develop your character to your liking, then you start to see how this game truly shines.

So far this is easily one of the best games of the year. Shame more of you aren't really giving it a shot. Looking at metacritic ratings, it is only topped by dead space 2 (90) and portal 2 (95) for best reviewed games this year on 360 and tied with LA Noir (89) for metascore.

.....oh and then there's that OST :jammin:

Steeps5
09-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Well ok, I'll put some more time in when I get the chance.

Symmetric-XBA
09-03-2011, 05:28 AM
.....oh and then there's that OST :jammin:

Oh you mean this Deus Ex OST (http://www.sendspace.com/file/cwvy7i)? Another present from your XBA audiophile! :) Enjoy people while this link lasts! Hurry up and get to downloadin! :cheers:

RalliArtEvo
09-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Oh you mean this Deus Ex OST (http://www.sendspace.com/file/cwvy7i)? Another present from your XBA audiophile! :) Enjoy people while this link lasts! Hurry up and get to downloadin! :cheers:

:rockout: :cheers: :jammin: awesome! thanks B!!

Variation-XBA
09-04-2011, 12:32 AM

Thanks again man!

About to pop it in and start now that I'm home :)

Unreal
09-04-2011, 10:08 PM
I enjoyed it. I am going to go through guns a blazing on my next play through.

Ricepuppet
09-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Dayymm!

Thank man! I'm on my 2nd playtrough on hard. Can't wait to just listen to the tracks seperately.

I complimented you in my Tumblr blog * thumbs up > http://ricepuppet.tumblr.com/post/9843756903/dex3ost

Symmetric-XBA
09-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Dayymm!

Thank man! I'm on my 2nd playtrough on hard. Can't wait to just listen to the tracks seperately.

I complimented you in my Tumblr blog * thumbs up > http://ricepuppet.tumblr.com/post/9843756903/dex3ost

hahahaha, glad to see that you're lovin the game!! you're more than welcome for the OST and hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as you do the game! Thanks for the blog props!!!

Ricepuppet
09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
No problem! :)

I have the OST constantly playing in my head, especially the start menu track. It's as insane as the Mass Effect OST, which also demonized my brains for weeks.