PDA

View Full Version : Dead Island Official Thread

Conor
09-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Hello fellow Xboxers,
Post your thoughts and suggestions on the New Dead Island game!
I'm getting mine in the post in the next few days and seriously can't wait, if you want to play co-op with me check my Gamertag to your left corner!

Thanks
Conor!

Variation-XBA
09-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Going to get it eventually, looks great from what I've seen though

Symmetric-XBA
09-16-2011, 07:50 PM
just don't forget to do the update for the game. hate to work towards these achvs. and then suffer a game breaking bug that erases and corrupts the saved game file.

Conor
09-17-2011, 02:36 AM
What do you meen about a update? You can't play online without doing the update.

Enamelized420
09-17-2011, 03:24 PM
I rented it and I just wasn't that impressed with it. To do any of the main quests there were way too many side quests that you seem to have to do. Not to mention it's glitchy as all get out. Half the time the waypoints didn't show up and I got annoyed accepting a mission and not even able to find or see where to go to complete it.

I might try it again later on but at this time I wasn't too impressed with it. Hopefully the bugs/glitches will be corrected soon and make it a better game to play. I know a few things were addressed in the latest update but even playing after that it still seems to have issues.

Ainokeatoo
09-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Bought it the day it came out 10 o'clock, went home, threw it in, beat it five hours later. Seriously, I was overwhelmingly disappointed with this game, overall this is hands down the best ZOMBIE game. But for the size of the maps and overall length of the game, I was incredibly disappointed, I expected a much higher replayability with this game and much lengthier Main Story Mode.

Don't get me wrong, the characters were AMAZING in the cutscenes, I loved Sam B especially, absolutely hilarious. The story itself, also amazing. The Graphics were meh for the 360 version, it was just all over the place, I had Anti Aliasing issues ALL over the place, most of the time things were just blurry such as the dark areas, the NPCs etc. There were texture pop issues literally everywhere, I've had times where I ran into an area with nothing on the mini map nothing that I could see in front of me, and just all of a sudden start getting hit by something, coming to find out the mobs were not loaded in yet.

Then there were issues with the Saved Games, three of my saves over the week that I owned the game, were corrupted, that pissed me off. Probably the biggest bug in the game. There were also little bugs all over the place, such as things randomly disappearing from my inventory, and the graphical glitching I mentioned above. I decided not to deal with the issues anymore as this was a buy simply because my friends wouldn't leave me alone about it and wanted me to go pick it up so I went and traded it in.

Overall the game is disappointing as I mentioned before, there's no real reason in doing an NG+ other than to go through the entire story again, nothing new but higher level drops and higher level zombies. Nothing changes, there's nothing extra that NG+ gives you to give you that incentive to play over and over and over. No real multiplayer component aside from the co-op, it's essentially a single player game. The multiplayer in itself is broken, it only allows you to join people in the same chapter as you, which is fine for the first playthrough. But the game does not separate the levels, so a level 1 could mistakenly find himself in a level 40's room simply because that persons room was the only one available.

It was a fun game for the story, once or twice, but with there being nothing to do after beating the story except the same monotonous quests, I can't possibly recommend this game to other people unless they're diehard fans of the Zombie Game Genre. Even then though, I'd recommend them the new Resident Evil Raccoon City set to come out in the next year or so, over this game. Definitely a bargain bin buy.

Conor
09-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Well I have to wait till Wednesday to put my vote up, my dad who ordered it for me got a email earlier that said it was sent today and it's 1st class, now in England post doesnt come on Sunday's.
Plus if it was sent after 12 o'clock it comes the day after so I can only say Tuesday to Wednesday night :)

Symmetric-XBA
09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Bought it the day it came out 10 o'clock, went home, threw it in, beat it five hours later. Seriously, I was overwhelmingly disappointed with this game, overall this is hands down the best ZOMBIE game. But for the size of the maps and overall length of the game, I was incredibly disappointed, I expected a much higher replayability with this game and much lengthier Main Story Mode.

Don't get me wrong, the characters were AMAZING in the cutscenes, I loved Sam B especially, absolutely hilarious. The story itself, also amazing. The Graphics were meh for the 360 version, it was just all over the place, I had Anti Aliasing issues ALL over the place, most of the time things were just blurry such as the dark areas, the NPCs etc. There were texture pop issues literally everywhere, I've had times where I ran into an area with nothing on the mini map nothing that I could see in front of me, and just all of a sudden start getting hit by something, coming to find out the mobs were not loaded in yet.

Then there were issues with the Saved Games, three of my saves over the week that I owned the game, were corrupted, that pissed me off. Probably the biggest bug in the game. There were also little bugs all over the place, such as things randomly disappearing from my inventory, and the graphical glitching I mentioned above. I decided not to deal with the issues anymore as this was a buy simply because my friends wouldn't leave me alone about it and wanted me to go pick it up so I went and traded it in.

Overall the game is disappointing as I mentioned before, there's no real reason in doing an NG+ other than to go through the entire story again, nothing new but higher level drops and higher level zombies. Nothing changes, there's nothing extra that NG+ gives you to give you that incentive to play over and over and over. No real multiplayer component aside from the co-op, it's essentially a single player game. The multiplayer in itself is broken, it only allows you to join people in the same chapter as you, which is fine for the first playthrough. But the game does not separate the levels, so a level 1 could mistakenly find himself in a level 40's room simply because that persons room was the only one available.

It was a fun game for the story, once or twice, but with there being nothing to do after beating the story except the same monotonous quests, I can't possibly recommend this game to other people unless they're diehard fans of the Zombie Game Genre. Even then though, I'd recommend them the new Resident Evil Raccoon City set to come out in the next year or so, over this game. Definitely a bargain bin buy.

While the patch for DI was supposed to fix over 40+ issues (including game save corruption and more game breaking bugs), that doesn't change the fact of the level layout, etc.. sorry to hear you had such issues w/ that game. As far as the new Resident Evil Raccoon City game, if it doesn't go back to it's horror roots and plays more like Gears of Evil 5, then thats going to be another big let down for the series. Some of the better RE games are actually coming to the 360 in their games on demand service.

Ainokeatoo
09-18-2011, 02:47 AM
While the patch for DI was supposed to fix over 40+ issues (including game save corruption and more game breaking bugs), that doesn't change the fact of the level layout, etc.. sorry to hear you had such issues w/ that game. As far as the new Resident Evil Raccoon City game, if it doesn't go back to it's horror roots and plays more like Gears of Evil 5, then thats going to be another big let down for the series. Some of the better RE games are actually coming to the 360 in their games on demand service.

Don't get me wrong it was an enjoyable... Five hour long game. Bug ridden but I had a lot of fun, I'm not a huge Zombie game fan so I had to base my impressions on what I was shown. I have no opinion on RERC (mainly cause I"m also getting this because of a friend). I hope you guys have more fun with Dead Island than I did.

Unreal
09-18-2011, 09:59 AM
I must have started playing after the patch. I don't have any issues and I don't know how you beat it in 5 hours. There are so many side quests that you can spend that much time just doing them. Anyway, the game is interesting so far and I have only played single player.

RalliArtEvo
09-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Bought it the day it came out 10 o'clock, went home, threw it in, beat it five hours later.

No you didn't.....unless you literally beelined from point to point sticking only to the main questline and even then I highly doubt you did it that quickly. Why did you even get the game if all you did was rush straight through to the end?

Seriously, based on your "impressions" I'm not sure you even played the game yourself.
The game is MASSIVE and you can spend 10-15 hours just in the first area doing side quests and exploring. I'm sorry bro, but your take on the game is WAY off and rather misleading to those that might be interested in it.

RalliArtEvo
09-18-2011, 10:45 AM
As far as the new Resident Evil Raccoon City game, if it doesn't go back to it's horror roots and plays more like Gears of Evil 5, then thats going to be another big let down for the series. Some of the better RE games are actually coming to the 360 in their games on demand service.

prepare to be dissapointed then..... its a 3rd person,coop, squad based shooter made by the same dev team that did the Socom series on PSP and the first socom on PS3. Some early previews liken it more to left 4 dead (albeit in 3rd person) Think of it as more of a spin-off game and not any sort of direct sequel.

Variation-XBA
09-18-2011, 11:45 AM
No you didn't.....unless you literally beelined from point to point sticking only to the main questline and even then I highly doubt you did it that quickly. Why did you even get the game if all you did was rush straight through to the end?

Some of us like to get through the main story as quickly as we can and ignore side quests. I do this all the time.

RalliArtEvo
09-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Some of us like to get through the main story as quickly as we can and ignore side quests. I do this all the time.

uhh, ok.... I can understand that for something linear like call of duty, but an open world rpg? :confused:

Variation-XBA
09-18-2011, 03:01 PM
uhh, ok.... I can understand that for something linear like call of duty, but an open world rpg? :confused:

Yea, and? I want to get the story done. If I want to do the sidequests I'll do it on a second playthrough.

RalliArtEvo
09-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Yea, and? I want to get the story done. If I want to do the sidequests I'll do it on a second playthrough.

whatever floats your boat bro. regardless, DI isn't remotely a 5 hour game (even rushing through the main questline), nor is it "mainly a single player game" as he stated and several other remarks were way off base as well. Seeing as you haven't played the game (at least on xbox) I don't see why you even care.

Symmetric-XBA
09-18-2011, 03:37 PM
prepare to be dissapointed then..... its a 3rd person,coop, squad based shooter made by the same dev team that did the Socom series on PSP and the first socom on PS3. Some early previews liken it more to left 4 dead (albeit in 3rd person) Think of it as more of a spin-off game and not any sort of direct sequel.

wow, thats a shame. oh well, maybe one day we'll get another good RE game...

RalliArtEvo
09-18-2011, 03:49 PM
wow, thats a shame. oh well, maybe one day we'll get another good RE game...

well it could turn out to be a good game on its own, but don't expect anything like the other RE games. Like I said this is meant to be a spin-off. It's been rumoured that the TRUE sequel (RE6) might be launched in 2012

Ainokeatoo
09-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Seriously, based on your "impressions" I'm not sure you even played the game yourself.
The game is MASSIVE and you can spend 10-15 hours just in the first area doing side quests and exploring. I'm sorry bro, but your take on the game is WAY off and rather misleading to those that might be interested in it.

I literally beelined from point to point, it's not a long game. I can tell you every single thing that happened in the story from beginning to end, I finished the game in roughly five to six hours.

The game is not "Massive" it has decently sized areas of exploration, which is disappointing for an RPG. Half of the map in every single area and most of the jungle aren't relevant to the story and are there merely for easter eggs. I've played the game, if you want the profile I've played the game on since it's not on this one since I haven't renewed my subscription for this account, look up Too Mahu 4 You. I have three rows of achievements unlocked, I even grinded to level 50 and finished the game again.

I played through the game, in the span of a week, three to four times. Breezing through it at level 50 in five hours. Two of those times with two different friends who needed it done. The game is disappointing however you want to spin it, you like the game? That's fine, I'm glad you do, but I'm telling it like it is. It's not the greatest game in the world, it's the best Zombie game, but for an Open World RPG I'm disappointed.

Ainokeatoo
09-18-2011, 05:09 PM
whatever floats your boat bro. regardless, DI isn't remotely a 5 hour game (even rushing through the main questline), nor is it "mainly a single player game" as he stated and several other remarks were way off base as well. Seeing as you haven't played the game (at least on xbox) I don't see why you even care.

It's not mainly a single player game? Show me how exactly. Unless you're going to play with friends, good luck finding a long term multiplayer room, even better. Good luck finding a multiplayer room in general, the co-op system is broken. It works decently for your first play through, but when you just want to team up with a random person not on the same part of your quest, it'll never happen plain and simple.

Variation-XBA
09-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Seeing as you haven't played the game (at least on xbox) I don't see why you even care.

Cause I'm offering my opinion on what you brought up. And maybe I have on another GT, but that's beyond the point.

Some people like playing their games differently than you do, doesn't make it right or wrong either way.

Conor
09-19-2011, 12:16 PM
well I know that I'm getting it Wednesday for defo, if it isn't I'm going to be annoyed!

RalliArtEvo
09-19-2011, 12:54 PM
I literally beelined from point to point, it's not a long game. I can tell you every single thing that happened in the story from beginning to end, I finished the game in roughly five to six hours.

The game is not "Massive" it has decently sized areas of exploration, which is disappointing for an RPG. Half of the map in every single area and most of the jungle aren't relevant to the story and are there merely for easter eggs. I've played the game, if you want the profile I've played the game on since it's not on this one since I haven't renewed my subscription for this account, look up Too Mahu 4 You. I have three rows of achievements unlocked, I even grinded to level 50 and finished the game again.

I played through the game, in the span of a week, three to four times. Breezing through it at level 50 in five hours. Two of those times with two different friends who needed it done. The game is disappointing however you want to spin it, you like the game? That's fine, I'm glad you do, but I'm telling it like it is. It's not the greatest game in the world, it's the best Zombie game, but for an Open World RPG I'm disappointed.

half the map isn't relevant to the story? so by your judgement Fallout and Elder Scrolls are small as well since "half the map" aren't used in the story either. I don't even understand what you mean by this at all, its an open world game, outside of linear shooters, what games use every single part of the map for the story?

further, the game is CLEARLY meant to be a coop game, One entire skill tree is dedicated to rage skills that can buff your partners, every single cutscene shows all four characters together, even though you don't see them in gameplay unless coop partners are playing with you. The coop isn't broken because they patched it day one on PC, blame MS for having such a slow certification process for it not coming right away and regardless, the game is designed around coop and encourages you to play with others constantly throughout the game.

I don't think the game is the greatest in the world and I wouldn't even say its the "best zombie game" either. But saying its a 5 hour game is utter BS no matter how YOU try to spin it.

BTW, did you use the XP glitch to level 50?

LOL so I checked your GT. You didn't beat the game in 5 hours lol. way to own yourself. in fact, it looks like you cheated your way to level 50, THEN beat the game.

RalliArtEvo
09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Cause I'm offering my opinion on what you brought up. And maybe I have on another GT, but that's beyond the point.

Some people like playing their games differently than you do, doesn't make it right or wrong either way.

hey, if you wanna waste your money on a game just to blow through it as fast as possible, then that's your loss. MOST people who play open world games (and the reason they are made) is to explore and discover along with the story mode. See then you find better weapons/items/etc to use in the main questline as well as getting to experience MORE of the story of the world you are playing in.

It has nothing to do with "right or wrong" but simply is baffling to me that someone would even want to rush straight through games that are specifically designed to encourage exploration and side-questing. Not suggesting that everyone should wander around for hours exploring every nook and cranny or complete every single sidequest. But like I said, games like Dead Island are designed around exploring, not rushing through the story (which is pretty bare bones and weak in this particular game)

Ainokeatoo
09-19-2011, 02:33 PM
half the map isn't relevant to the story? so by your judgement Fallout and Elder Scrolls are small as well since "half the map" aren't used in the story either. I don't even understand what you mean by this at all, its an open world game, outside of linear shooters, what games use every single part of the map for the story?

Except you were forced to explore more than half of the map in both Fallout games and damn near the entire map in Oblivion? NOT TO MENTION both games were considerably longer than five hours.

further, the game is CLEARLY meant to be a coop game, One entire skill tree is dedicated to rage skills that can buff your partners, every single cutscene shows all four characters together, even though you don't see them in gameplay unless coop partners are playing with you.

What does this have to do with anything? Yes it's MEANT to be a co-op game, but the way the co-op matchmaking is set up, you'll RARELY find other people to play with at that specific time.

The coop isn't broken because they patched it day one on PC, blame MS for having such a slow certification process for it not coming right away and regardless, the game is designed around coop and encourages you to play with others constantly throughout the game.

I'm sorry, they didn't fix the broken system, unless you're telling me I can now search for any room I want and join any room I want, I still consider the thing broken.

BTW, did you use the XP glitch to level 50?

LOL so I checked your GT. You didn't beat the game in 5 hours lol. way to own yourself. in fact, it looks like you cheated your way to level 50, THEN beat the game.

Wrong, this is the second account I made for the free month of Live because unfortunately, I have people I chat with daily, and if I don't renew my subscription for my main account I have to create multiple accounts until I can renew my subscription. What you saw is a grinded level 50 game save from the previous account I made.

Further, who cares if I did use the XP glitch to level 50? My game save corrupted three times in the course of a week, and it had been done after I beat the game, so does it matter? Not to mention Achievement for finishing the first act 9/11/11 Achievement for finishing the second act 9/12/11 I didn't put the game in until 9-10 o'clock finishing at 1-2 in the morning.

Ainokeatoo
09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
It has nothing to do with "right or wrong" but simply is baffling to me that someone would even want to rush straight through games that are specifically designed to encourage exploration and side-questing. Not suggesting that everyone should wander around for hours exploring every nook and cranny or complete every single sidequest. But like I said, games like Dead Island are designed around exploring, not rushing through the story (which is pretty bare bones and weak in this particular game)

So, because I stated pretty openly that I rushed through the main quest, I didn't explore much? Please tell me where this makes sense, I beat the game the same day I got the game, I kept it for a week, I helped friends beat the game, I've helped a particular friend finish. Every. Single. Monotonous. Side Quest the game has to offer that bloops up on your map from beginning to end, obviously missing some rescues.

I'll say it once more, you like the game? Awesome, you have fun with it, these are my impressions, whether you believe or like it or not, I have finished the game in five hours. I didn't write what I wrote to sit here and debate it with you. That's the end of this particular discussion as this is getting off of the threads original intent.

RalliArtEvo
09-19-2011, 04:25 PM
This discussion is perfectly suited to an official thread. You are giving the wrong impression of the game for someone looking to see what it's about. Stating its a short game that you blew through in 5 hours isn't accurate at all.

If you helped a low level character with your level 50, then perhaps you should state that, otherwise there's no way you beat the game first time through in 5hours. You provided only one GT, so how should I know you had played the game on other accounts as well.

I don't really care if you didn't like it and personally I don't think its all that amazing either. But you said a few things that simply aren't accurate and would lead someone reading your impressions to think the game is short.

RalliArtEvo
09-19-2011, 05:11 PM
tell you what, why don't you join a more active forum like neoGAF or bad cartridge and post your impressions there. I'll bet you get the same exact response that I gave you since you seem to think I have some personal problem with you or something.

Ainokeatoo
09-19-2011, 06:39 PM
tell you what, why don't you join a more active forum like neoGAF or bad cartridge and post your impressions there. I'll bet you get the same exact response that I gave you since you seem to think I have some personal problem with you or something.

Why? I didn't post what I posted to prove a point or sway anyone from buying it, I posted exactly what I thought about the game which is what the OP created the thread for. Further, you do this constantly when anyone disagrees with your opinion of something, now, like I said, this conversation is over before it turns into a shouting match.

RalliArtEvo
09-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Why? I didn't post what I posted to prove a point or sway anyone from buying it, I posted exactly what I thought about the game which is what the OP created the thread for. Further, you do this constantly when anyone disagrees with your opinion of something, now, like I said, this conversation is over before it turns into a shouting match.

do what constantly? I don't agree that you beat the game in 5 hours in your first playthrough. You keep going on and on about how it's your opinion, yet anytime I state my own or disagree with someone, suddenly I'm the bad guy. People responded to my comments and I gave my own opinions/thoughts back. That's how message boards work, people having an ongoing discussion about the subject at hand. I dont get why you guys always pick on me just because I don't agree with everything that is said and state my opinions.

Further, you did say that you wouldn't recommend it or that its bargain bin material, so you are in essence swaying peoples decision. I don't see why it would turn into a "shouting match" either, are you that upset that you can't have a discussion without resorting to shouting?

Fine, if you somehow beat this game in 5 hours, then you must be some gaming god. But for the average person it's a MUCH longer game. Most people are averaging around 20+ hours first time through.

Ainokeatoo
09-19-2011, 08:45 PM
do what constantly? I don't agree that you beat the game in 5 hours in your first playthrough. You keep going on and on about how it's your opinion, yet anytime I state my own or disagree with someone, suddenly I'm the bad guy. People responded to my comments and I gave my own opinions/thoughts back. That's how message boards work, people having an ongoing discussion about the subject at hand. I dont get why you guys always pick on me just because I don't agree with everything that is said and state my opinions.

Except you're not stating your opinion, you're flat out saying I didn't do exactly what I just did while also stating what I should and should not think.

Symmetric-XBA
09-20-2011, 02:41 AM
Ok here's where this whole thing stands. Aino, sry man but if you did do your run through (which I side w/ Ralli and Unreal with) in 5 hours, then congrats because you just smashed the fastest time in the world by 4+ hours and given when your achvs unlocked I find this hard to believe considering your op was that you bought the game at 10'o clock in the morning and then beat it in 5 hours. Even boosting and using the xp glitch would take you hours. First you have to find the items and the dupe them, even using the quest items to gain xp over and over again, and all of this takes time. I haven't played it yet but it seems to me that this just boils down to misrepresntation of time played. No worries Aino, I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, all I'm sayin is that your time line may be a little skewed (it happens to me all the time, lol I'm lucky to remember what day it is lol) when you post up "Bought it the day it came out 10 o'clock, went home, threw it in, beat it five hours later.".

As far as your opinion goes, it's your opinion, like it or hate it, it's up to you. Personally I always take ppl's opinions w/ a grain of salt until I get my hands on the game and can experience it first hand ya know? As for Ralli, his main points were that you were in essence degrading a game that may sway someone's decision to buy or not to buy the game, and while it's your opinion, what he meant in his points are true. Games that get horrible reviews tend to get left behind by gamers because they decide not to pick them up and play them. While we may not have a lot of ppl active on the forums we do have a lot of people that join and browse them and if they see someone saying that the game wasn't good, then that may sway them to think "well I'm going to save my $ and not buy this game". Look at Bodycount for instance, that game got horrible reviews and now the studio is shut down. People read bad things about it, and decided not to buy it. Now I'm not saying you can't say bad things about the game, I'm just merely trying to point out that Ralli's point of saying bad things about the game does sway ppl's decisions.

As far as your issues with the game, DI originally shipped broken (just like Test Drive Unlimited 2) and had tons of glitches and bugs and some of them were game breaking. This was posted up and a patch was already in the works to be released on day 1, however, you and I both know that MS isn't keen on just slapping patches out there on their service until they have been certified which takes time. So just to be clear you said that the characters were amazing, and that the story was amazing and that your only issues were the bugs (which were known beforehand) and the level size. Based off of that you say that the game is a disappointment? I'm sorry but if a game is supposed to be story driven and you said the story is amazing, then to me thats a win for the game.

Ainokeatoo
09-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Ok here's where this whole thing stands. Aino, sry man but if you did do your run through (which I side w/ Ralli and Unreal with) in 5 hours, then congrats because you just smashed the fastest time in the world by 4+ hours and given when your achvs unlocked I find this hard to believe considering your op was that you bought the game at 10'o clock in the morning and then beat it in 5 hours. Even boosting and using the xp glitch would take you hours. First you have to find the items and the dupe them, even using the quest items to gain xp over and over again, and all of this takes time. I haven't played it yet but it seems to me that this just boils down to misrepresntation of time played. No worries Aino, I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, all I'm sayin is that your time line may be a little skewed (it happens to me all the time, lol I'm lucky to remember what day it is lol) when you post up "Bought it the day it came out 10 o'clock, went home, threw it in, beat it five hours later.".

It was beaten on a different account because the month trial was up roughly the 10th/11th (then of course I beat it again). It really, really, isn't that long of a game when you beeline from main quest to main quest.

As far as your issues with the game, DI originally shipped broken (just like Test Drive Unlimited 2) and had tons of glitches and bugs and some of them were game breaking. This was posted up and a patch was already in the works to be released on day 1, however, you and I both know that MS isn't keen on just slapping patches out there on their service until they have been certified which takes time. So just to be clear you said that the characters were amazing, and that the story was amazing and that your only issues were the bugs (which were known beforehand) and the level size. Based off of that you say that the game is a disappointment? I'm sorry but if a game is supposed to be story driven and you said the story is amazing, then to me thats a win for the game.

I said the story and characters were amazing, yes, that's true, and if this game wasn't hyped out of the woods, I would completely agree that, that is the only real thing that matters. Except it was hyped to be such an amazing game, oh "It's an open world rpg!" "It's going to be so HUGE" "OMG a Zombie RPG". It was a good game, that didn't live up to it's hype, the bugs killed it for me, who wants to play through a game three times because of a save corruption issue?

If people have an issue with what I typed, they can take it up with the literally hundreds of other people who had the exact same complaints.

RalliArtEvo
09-20-2011, 04:07 PM
It was beaten on a different account because the month trial was up roughly the 10th/11th (then of course I beat it again). It really, really, isn't that long of a game when you beeline from main quest to main quest.

I said the story and characters were amazing, yes, that's true, and if this game wasn't hyped out of the woods, I would completely agree that, that is the only real thing that matters. Except it was hyped to be such an amazing game, oh "It's an open world rpg!" "It's going to be so HUGE" "OMG a Zombie RPG". It was a good game, that didn't live up to it's hype, the bugs killed it for me, who wants to play through a game three times because of a save corruption issue?

If people have an issue with what I typed, they can take it up with the literally hundreds of other people who had the exact same complaints.

No doubt the bug issues are/were annoying. But given the size and nature of games like this, you gotta expect things to not always be perfect (example: Elder Scrolls and Fallout games all had numerous bugs including save corruption issues in New Vegas). Techland is a small studio, so I think they did a pretty good job overall for their first open world game.

Also, as noted previously....blame MS and their insanely slow certification process and not techland for not having the patches available in a timely manner. PC version got a patch on release that fixed most of the issues.

I'm gonna have to disagree with your opinion on the story though Aino. IMO it was half assed and playing it single player made even less sense. You're all alone yet suddenly in cutscenes you're with the other characters and they all act like they know each other, even though they never had them meeting up. This is partly what I was getting at regarding this game being made to be played coop. Things get a little better towards the end, but overall this was the biggest letdown for me, especially after the first teaser trailer that swept across the internet and got people's attention.

For me, the gameplay is what makes the game fun and worth playing. There's a visceral feel to wielding the weapons and hacking/slashing up the zombies. also of note is the great work done on the audio. They absolutely NAILED the sounds that zombies (in theory) make and it really adds to the immersion. I also enjoyed the weapon creating process, My beastly Shock Katana makes short work of the undead :cool:

Overall I'm glad that techland took such a risk (for them) making a game like this and its clear that word of mouth is really helping push sales. Last I heard over 2 million copies had been shipped, which (hopefully) means a sequel is all but guarenteed and most likely will be given a higher budget. :)

Ainokeatoo
09-20-2011, 04:29 PM
No doubt the bug issues are/were annoying. But given the size and nature of games like this, you gotta expect things to not always be perfect (example: Elder Scrolls and Fallout games all had numerous bugs including save corruption issues in New Vegas). Techland is a small studio, so I think they did a pretty good job overall for their first open world game.

Also, as noted previously....blame MS and their insanely slow certification process and not techland for not having the patches available in a timely manner. PC version got a patch on release that fixed most of the issues.

I'm not blaming anyone to be COMPLETELY honest, I understand games come out with bugs and glitches (although some of these really should have been addressed before launch.).

I'm gonna have to disagree with your opinion on the story though Aino. IMO it was half assed and playing it single player made even less sense. You're all alone yet suddenly in cutscenes you're with the other characters and they all act like they know each other, even though they never had them meeting up. This is partly what I was getting at regarding this game being made to be played coop. Things get a little better towards the end, but overall this was the biggest letdown for me, especially after the first teaser trailer that swept across the internet and got people's attention.

Outside of the "All the characters miraculously know each other" I just thought the characters all played their part individually well. I didn't like the Co-op because there was no rooms for me to join, rooms I did join people left right after joining, or I was stuck with someone who had no idea what he/she was doing. Any other time, I couldn't join anything because there was no one on that main quest line, so I was SOL without friends.

That is what I meant by broken, because unless you get lucky and find a good room, or you have friends to play with, you'll rarely get into online rooms. I do understand the game was meant to be played Co-Op and you really wanted to play it with other people. I was just saying that they made it extremely difficult by only allowing you to play with people on your part of the quest even after going through the game once.

For me, the gameplay is what makes the game fun and worth playing. There's a visceral feel to wielding the weapons and hacking/slashing up the zombies. also of note is the great work done on the audio. They absolutely NAILED the sounds that zombies (in theory) make and it really adds to the immersion. I also enjoyed the weapon creating process, My beastly Shock Katana makes short work of the undead :cool:

Overall I'm glad that techland took such a risk (for them) making a game like this and its clear that word of mouth is really helping push sales. Last I heard over 2 million copies had been shipped, which (hopefully) means a sequel is all but guarenteed and most likely will be given a higher budget. :)

I'll agree, the gameplay was nailed on the head, they got it perfectly, which is why I didn't mind running through it more than three or four times, alone. I enjoyed the game, just in my eyes as a long time RPG player MMO, ORPG, and Single Player alike, it could have been longer.

Let me take the time to apologize for taking the previous messages so offensively, being told I didn't do what I did, and that everything I experienced was wrong. Never really sits well with me.

RalliArtEvo
09-20-2011, 04:59 PM
ya, I can understand what you mean about playing with randoms, this tends to be an issue in general with MP gaming IMO. For instance playing a game like Battlefield, you join a squad and hope they all understand the way the game is meant to be played so that your team can succeed, but there's also a good chance you'll be paired with "lone wolves" who run off and snipe in corners without tagging enemies or simply don't help work together. So from that standpoint, I see what you're getting at.

I assume that the devs hoped people would play with friends and work together beginning to end, but also implemented the "player nearby" system that alerts you when a player is in the same area and on the same questline as you are for those who just wanna jump online and find people to play with. From what it sounds like, you were hoping for more of a free-roam mode lobby type system where people could just mess around together instead of worrying about sticking together for quests or whatever. IMO I still think they did a pretty good job overall considering techland has never made a game like this before and I would bet that many of these issues/complaints will be changed/addressed in the inevitable sequel. But for a first time effort IMO they did a good job :)

As far as the issues with bugs etc, that's just the nature of gaming nowadays and sort of the double-edged sword of online connectivity. How many games released in the past year alone have patches waiting on day 1 or within a month of release? On games like Dead Island in particular it's extremely difficult to test for everything because of how big they are and also sometimes issues come up that couldn't be predicted until they are "in the wild" and actually being played by thousands if not millions of people.

Then you also can't predict what all the douchebags who do nothing but TRY and exploit games for thier own advantage (call of duty out of map glitch anyone? lol) and spend hours doing nothing but searching for ways to "break" the games. You can bet your bottom dollar that Skyrim will have its fair share of bugs/glitches day 1 as well and you'll no doubt hear people complaining about this and that (vampire cure in oblivion comes to mind)

For me, regarding Dead Island, the bottom line boils down to this; is it worth playing despite the risk of save corruption/graphical issues/etc? IMHO I say yes. :rockout:

Shawn-XBA
09-23-2011, 02:06 PM
I am in love with this game, me and a buddy of mine have been playing co-op for about 10 hours now. Doing all the side quests, and trying to get all the weapon upgrades and such. We are about 15-20% through the main quest, we are concentrating on completing all the side quests as we play through the main portion of the game. I haven't seen that many issues, however I have had enemies just pop up in front of me. But nothing major at all, and I think for an open world RPG style game it really runs quite well on the Xbox 360. I am impressed it.

Symmetric-XBA
09-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm with silent on this one, I really enjoy the game and while there are a few issues here and there, there's nothing that I would really call a "game changer" that would sway me to say that this is a horrible game. It reminds me a lot of Borderlands but with zombies and set on a tropical island. I love the skill tree development and the side quests, while sometimes boring, provide a great way to "see the island" instead of just going from point a, to b and finishing the game. I was very impressed with this title. I wouldn't classify this as a direct action RPG though, more like a FP action title w/ some RPG elements sprinkled in lol.

Unreal
09-24-2011, 10:16 AM
I think I am around 15 hours into the game and I am at 52%.

Conor
09-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Sorry I wasn't online till today, got Dead Island Wednesday and it's amazing, I've seen that Silant and Unreal have Dead Island too so does anyone want to do co-op online?

Unreal
09-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Sorry I wasn't online till today, got Dead Island Wednesday and it's amazing, I've seen that Silant and Unreal have Dead Island too so does anyone want to do co-op online?
I am up. I am heading for the home stretch but I will jump into your game. Send me an invite.

Conor
09-28-2011, 01:51 PM
I am up. I am heading for the home stretch but I will jump into your game. Send me an invite.

Ok, well I will be on it tomorrow so I'll add you!

Unreal
09-29-2011, 10:00 PM
I beat the game. I am now going through new game+ because I was only level 38 when I beat it. I want to get some level 50 weapons. Minus some issues with the combat that game is actually pretty fun :)

Shawn-XBA
09-30-2011, 02:24 PM
I will defiantly play through again, with anyone who wants to play. I am on late night though, get on at about midnight EST to about 5am.

Unreal
09-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Will you be on tonight at midnight? I just started my second play through so I don't have a lot of stuff done. If your interested...

Conor
10-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Ye ok well I am still at school so midnight is a bit late maybe on the Weekend.

Shawn-XBA
10-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Will you be on tonight at midnight? I just started my second play through so I don't have a lot of stuff done. If your interested...
Sorry bro, just now noticed this. I was working the whole weekend, couldn't get on. I will be on tonight and tomorrow. Might be playing this or the Battlefield 3 beta with a buddy of mine from work.

Unreal
10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
No problem. It won't be good for me till the weekend now :(

Conor
10-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Thats Ok, maybe Me, You and Silent can hook up and play BF3 Beta too?