PDA

View Full Version : Will the Duke make a comeback?

l Maximus l
09-23-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm not sure where to post this, so, I thought I would post it in the off-topic lounge... I'm a die hard fan of the Duke controller...I may be in the minority, but, it was the best controller I have ever played with...the Duke is the nickname of the original GIANT XBox 360 controller.

Check out this link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20071383-1/xboxs-original-beast-of-a-controller-making-a-comeback/

I did a search about it to see if the 360 made an adapter but stumbled across this page. What prompted me to search is because the anniversary addition of Halo: Combat Evolved...I seriously can't wait for it to come out! I will be playing vids far more regularly because of it!

The current 360 controller actually hurts my hands after prolonged use...the original X (Duke) controller never hurt my hands no matter how long my sessions were of playing Halo CE. I hope they make one...I'll be one of the first to buy!

What do you guys think...good idea or waste of perfectly good plastic?

SamSmith
09-23-2011, 06:28 AM
You're probably a giant.

My little girly fingers need something nice and petite - the current 360 controller suits me perfectly ;)

The duke was really awkward for me to use. I remember playing halo and findig it really awkward... mostly because of the 4 buttons on the left being in a sort of sheer sloped diagonal cross formation rather than the standard plus form that every other controller uses.

I quite liked the updated S controller. The black / white buttons were difficult for some to use, so they were usually designated pointless functions but I quite liked them.

Kamshaft
09-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Hell, I liked it too. I'm not sure if it will ever come back, maybe in the next gen console.

Who knows. LOL
Good topic....I'll move it to the Xbox forums.

And for the record, Max isn't talking about Duke Nuke'em.

Variation-XBA
09-23-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm with you Max, LOVED the controller (look at my icon!).

For the 'special' one with Halo, it's not going to be for sale to public, it was just a special thing that was made for HaloFest as far as I know.

We won't be getting a duke :(

Shawn-XBA
09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
I loved the Duke, I think it would be awesome if they brought it back. I would probably still mostly play with the new controller though, as I do love that one just a little bit more.

RalliArtEvo
09-26-2011, 05:33 PM
you guys really want 2 more face buttons instead of shoulder buttons? :confused:
I've actually got pretty big hands and I still wasn't ever a fan back in the day. I remember player split screen Halo at Sym's house and everybody basically flipping a coin to see who got the S and who got MEGATRON. LoL I honestly don't get why people still want a comeback or WTF MS was thinking when they released it.

Variation-XBA
09-26-2011, 08:06 PM
you guys really want 2 more face buttons instead of shoulder buttons? :confused:
I've actually got pretty big hands and I still wasn't ever a fan back in the day. I remember player split screen Halo at Sym's house and everybody basically flipping a coin to see who got the S and who got MEGATRON. LoL I honestly don't get why people still want a comeback or WTF MS was thinking when they released it.

If I say yes are you going to tell me I'm wrong? :p:rofl:

I hated the S controllers. Moving the white/black was too hard to get used to so I stuck with the Fatty until the 360 came out

RalliArtEvo
09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
If I say yes are you going to tell me I'm wrong? :p:rofl:

I hated the S controllers. Moving the white/black was too hard to get used to so I stuck with the Fatty until the 360 came out

WRONG!!!! ;)

I can see the white/black buttons being an issue going from duke to S, but there's no freaking way that I'd give up where the buttons eventually ended up (as shoulder buttons)

Symmetric-XBA
09-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Ahhhh Megatron lol oh how I'm glad to be rid of thee lol. I think it was a natural part of evolution though and if it took Megatron to start the evolution to the controller we have today I think it was well worth it.

Symmetric-XBA
09-27-2011, 02:17 PM
WRONG!!!! ;)

WRONG!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Yr9XyBdnI&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL19BF5BDD8FF76593)

RalliArtEvo
09-27-2011, 04:00 PM
WRONG!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Yr9XyBdnI&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL19BF5BDD8FF76593)

:rofl: haha classic Carvey right there!

l Maximus l
09-28-2011, 12:41 AM
I would soooo buy one if it becomes available...maybe two just in case I need one for back up!

mattgame
09-29-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm with you Max. I loved my controller all nice and big!

Kraft
09-30-2011, 10:12 AM
How could you not hope anything named "The Duke" would make a comeback? John Wayne, the old xbox controller, Duke Buckhorn... all win/win situations. That being said, one of my biggest gripes about my 3ds is it's diminutive size.

l Maximus l
10-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Big controller = big hands = big <censored>