PDA

View Full Version : More Xbox 720 rumors, however....

Symmetric-XBA
10-02-2011, 03:45 AM
There's been a ton of speculation around the internet about the Xbox 720 (what i'm calling it for now lol) and some of the games that we can expect to see. As you may or may not know Skyrim was supposed to be a title on the next gen xbox console, however, reality seems to be a bit different.

Here's some of the latest rumors though... which offer some tantilizing promise.

The latest issue of Xbox World is reporting via the rumor section that a number of Microsoft developers are currently prepping a wave of brand new titles for the unannounced successor to the Xbox 360.

According to the November 2011 edition of the publication, a notable selection of high-profile development studios are now in the process of manning big-budget teams for a bout of new games for the Xbox 720.

Recent rumors floating about include the possibility that Turn 10 are hard at work on Forza 5 for the fabled next generation console, in addition to powerhouse developer Epic supposedly developing Gears of War 4 as a launch title for the device – tantalizingly rumored to be pegged in for a 2013 release.

”Rare, Lionhead and Turn 10 all have teams in place too – Rare, we hear, are even prototyping ideas for a new ‘mature’ title.”

PLEASE DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN LET RARE BE BRINGING BACK KILLER INSTINCT lmao (what was just a dream, may finally in our lifetimes become a reality).

So there you have it fellow xbox'ers, what do you think about the possiblity of these rumors becoming truth? The next console is slated to be released in the next few years, that should give them time to prepare for the next generation in gaming warfare?

RalliArtEvo
10-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I think anyone with half a brain would say that both Forza and Gears of War titles are no brainers along with a Halo title and a new Fable. I will add that it's rumoured that Gears will be moving multiplatform next gen. Epic themselves have stated that they are considering it, so that will be interesting to see what happens.

As far as Rare is concerned, who give's a %&#$ what they do anymore. That company hasn't been "Rare" for many years now so I can't see them suddenly creating some amazing title's again that anyone will care about. I do have some hope that Kameo gets resurrected (very underrated launch title imo), but like I've said before, pretty much every talented director, dev, artist, programmer has long moved on or been replaced. IMO, the Stamper brothers selling their shares (which led to Nintendo selling their half as well) was one of the dumbest moves in gaming history.

On a side note, Brent I'm very dissapointed in you for bringing up Killer Instinct again! You of all people should know by now that it's NEVER going to happen. I mean, at the very least you would think that MS would take the minimal effort to dump the arcade ROM's onto XBLA for some easy cash, but apparently they don't listen to their own fans who've begged for SOMETHING/ANYTHING Killer Instinct related outside of Christmas cards from Rare :cuss:

Symmetric-XBA
10-02-2011, 04:18 PM
I think anyone with half a brain would say that both Forza and Gears of War titles are no brainers along with a Halo title and a new Fable. I will add that it's rumoured that Gears will be moving multiplatform next gen. Epic themselves have stated that they are considering it, so that will be interesting to see what happens.

As far as Rare is concerned, who give's a %&#$ what they do anymore. That company hasn't been "Rare" for many years now so I can't see them suddenly creating some amazing title's again that anyone will care about. I do have some hope that Kameo gets resurrected (very underrated launch title imo), but like I've said before, pretty much every talented director, dev, artist, programmer has long moved on or been replaced. IMO, the Stamper brothers selling their shares (which led to Nintendo selling their half as well) was one of the dumbest moves in gaming history.

On a side note, Brent I'm very dissapointed in you for bringing up Killer Instinct again! You of all people should know by now that it's NEVER going to happen. I mean, at the very least you would think that MS would take the minimal effort to dump the arcade ROM's onto XBLA for some easy cash, but apparently they don't listen to their own fans who've begged for SOMETHING/ANYTHING Killer Instinct related outside of Christmas cards from Rare :cuss:

I've heard that about Epic as well, but who knows maybe MS will open up their bottomless wallet of cash and make sure that they are exclusive? lol as far as Rare goes I haven't cared about that company for years, the only thing that got my KI going again was the rumor of a "Mature" title, but that too could be b.s. lol you're right I do know better, but that doesn't mean that the desire is any less lol just hoping that I can FINALLY lose some of this disappointment and regain some joy from that company.

SamSmith
10-02-2011, 05:00 PM
I forsee a future where processing requirements are shared via 'the cloud', having maybe certain textures / parts of the projected image etc rendered on some mega server somewhere.

I think that would extend the longetivity of the next wave of consoles far beyond the small window we have now, and would allow for consoles to keep up with the constantly upgrading of PC components.

Whether anything like that would make it into the nextbox is another thing - but give it a few years for internet speeds to reach the next plateu and I would say it will be a very viable option.

To join in on the speculation I'd say - unless they want people to have to use multiple discs or download mandatory 'installation' updates - it is likely that they will be considering bluray. They would be adopting it for games, not for films. I believe physical media as far as films goes is dying - although it would of course work for both.

Inbuilt wireless, as standard...

Greater networking / sharing capabilities. The ability to use and stream from NTFS file systems. It's a joke that the xbox can only recognize portable hard-drives in the abandoned FAT32 format which microsoft windows PC's can't even reformat to.

Windows Phone extras: Expect to see all these 'linked' products waved in front of you.

New UI: I would like something similar to the windows phone UI. I personally use android but having played around with one for a short time I have to say it is the best looking mobile UI there is. I would love to see something similar on the xbox - although I have a feeling they might opt for the all too common 'cutsey' light blue fluffy smiley cloud design.

Skype: So yeah, microsoft bought it - so put it to use! In game sound quality has always been hit and miss - so a skype VoIP feature would be a welcome improvement.

Multi-platform multiplayer: I highly doubt this will ever happen, but I would quite like to see certain titles allow people to play PC and xbox versions of the game together. I won't mention the PS3 because that DEFINITELY would not happen.

Console Design: Something minimalist with subtle unique touches will do the trick - if it's going to be sitting on my desk I want it to look pretty. There are some pretty incredible concept designs to be found online, but very few are practical. (obviously none are real)

Noise: The original sounded like a wheezing lawn-mower. I would rather that its successor does not. Something clever should be worked upon for cooling - keeping moving parts to a minimum by use of flash drives as opposed to chunky hard drives would be a start.

Discs: I've said it before. Physical media is toast in my eyes. It is an unnecessary chore, and with regard to development surely it is an unnecessary expense at this stage, is it not? 90% of people have the ability to download full games straight to the box, and I would be willing to bet that most of that 90% would prefer to do it just like that.
I'm aware that the current xbox has some capability in that regard, but it has only been touched upon and only for the back catalogue of games. I want the newest titles to be able to purchase and download.

I've realized that this has turned into a list of what I want rather than the list of what I predict, as I had intended it to be - but they're closely related.

I'll leave it there for now... until I think of more demands, or ehm predictions.

Symmetric-XBA
10-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I forsee a future where processing requirements are shared via 'the cloud', having maybe certain textures / parts of the projected image etc rendered on some mega server somewhere.

I think that would extend the longetivity of the next wave of consoles far beyond the small window we have now, and would allow for consoles to keep up with the constantly upgrading of PC components.

Whether anything like that would make it into the nextbox is another thing - but give it a few years for internet speeds to reach the next plateu and I would say it will be a very viable option.

I don't forsee how a "cloud" system would be very applicable to the gaming process. Having a "mega server" would not be a viable solution unless it's something very very basic.

To join in on the speculation I'd say - unless they want people to have to use multiple discs or download mandatory 'installation' updates - it is likely that they will be considering bluray. They would be adopting it for games, not for films. I believe physical media as far as films goes is dying - although it would of course work for both.

Ms has already said that they will not include bluray for their gaming systems. They had an offer from the bluray community but MS turned it down and went public saying that they will not have bluray.

Inbuilt wireless, as standard...

Greater networking / sharing capabilities. The ability to use and stream from NTFS file systems. It's a joke that the xbox can only recognize portable hard-drives in the abandoned FAT32 format which microsoft windows PC's can't even reformat to.

Windows Phone extras: Expect to see all these 'linked' products waved in front of you.

New UI: I would like something similar to the windows phone UI. I personally use android but having played around with one for a short time I have to say it is the best looking mobile UI there is. I would love to see something similar on the xbox - although I have a feeling they might opt for the all too common 'cutsey' light blue fluffy smiley cloud design.

Skype: So yeah, microsoft bought it - so put it to use! In game sound quality has always been hit and miss - so a skype VoIP feature would be a welcome improvement.

The new UI will def be in there due to the heavy influence on Kinect, however prob. look for more of a less blinding effect than what we are used to now. Skype will be included, as to when, I've heard reports as early as this fall's update along w/ verion tv and more. As far as the file system goes, it'll be up to ms to determine if it will go that route. I hope so as well bc a new file structure could open up new areas for us gamers. Now that MS has implimented built in wirelss for their slim consoles, i doubt very much that they will remove that feature considering their competition has it.

Multi-platform multiplayer: I highly doubt this will ever happen, but I would quite like to see certain titles allow people to play PC and xbox versions of the game together. I won't mention the PS3 because that DEFINITELY would not happen.

Console Design: Something minimalist with subtle unique touches will do the trick - if it's going to be sitting on my desk I want it to look pretty. There are some pretty incredible concept designs to be found online, but very few are practical. (obviously none are real)

Noise: The original sounded like a wheezing lawn-mower. I would rather that its successor does not. Something clever should be worked upon for cooling - keeping moving parts to a minimum by use of flash drives as opposed to chunky hard drives would be a start.

Discs: I've said it before. Physical media is toast in my eyes. It is an unnecessary chore, and with regard to development surely it is an unnecessary expense at this stage, is it not? 90% of people have the ability to download full games straight to the box, and I would be willing to bet that most of that 90% would prefer to do it just like that.
I'm aware that the current xbox has some capability in that regard, but it has only been touched upon and only for the back catalogue of games. I want the newest titles to be able to purchase and download.

Cross multiplayer platforming could be possible considering that Windows 8 will be integrated with Xbox Live, so that technically could be a reality and would def. be a bonus for those of us who enjoy a keyboard and mouse as opposed to a controller. Anyone's guess as to what the console will look like is as good as any other, however I do feel that faceplates are no longer going to be supported as MS has already dropped support for them plus the new slim consoles do not offer such applications. As far as noise goes if I really wanted to think outside the box maybe a liquid cooled system would work, however, thats something that I don't think will be a reality and instead whisper quiet fans would prob. be more cost effective on the business end. As far as dl'ing games completely this is where I have to disagree with you as I prefer to have the physical disc in my hand as opposed to just dl'ing it from the marketplace. The games on demand section is growing rapidly and MS has already made some hints that they are looking to a dl only console, but a lot of other gamers (including myself) would love to continue having physical discs as opposed to just dl'ed games. Ultimate in the end, it's all about your preference though right?

I've realized that this has turned into a list of what I want rather than the list of what I predict, as I had intended it to be - but they're closely related.

I'll leave it there for now... until I think of more demands, or ehm predictions.

FPSMadPaul
10-03-2011, 03:30 AM
New UI: I would like something similar to the windows phone UI.
That's already happening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4stPcGPxs&feature=related
In regards to the original question I'm more worried about the name. Xbox 720 doesn't have a very nice ring to it.
I'll add an additional question to this topic.
What do you want the new console to be called?

Conor
10-03-2011, 04:41 PM
For this new Dashboard, do you know the release date?

Variation-XBA
10-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Rumors point to Nov 15th

l Maximus l
10-03-2011, 06:15 PM
I hope they get rid of software altogether...no moving parts...put either a giant hard drive to save full games on that can be downloaded or streamed live on a mega-server that you can buy permanent access to the game.

Just my $0.02.... discs need to go the way of tapes & cartridges.... It's 2011!!!

RalliArtEvo
10-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I hope they get rid of software altogether...no moving parts...put either a giant hard drive to save full games on that can be downloaded or streamed live on a mega-server that you can buy permanent access to the game.

Just my $0.02.... discs need to go the way of tapes & cartridges.... It's 2011!!!

No thanks. With the way drm is already affecting things, I wanna own my game and be able to play it regardless if I'm connected online or not. I also enjoy having the ability to sell/trade/borrow games when I want to. Digital download will eliminate that completely. Second, you aren't considering the fact that broadband isn't everywhere nor is it at a level where people downloading massive files would get them in a reasonable timeframe (if at all considering some ISP have caps and more are suggesting they will do this as well). Imagine downloading Rage and it's 22 gigs of space......

Further, imagine millions all trying to download the newest Halo at launch. Unless the game companies are willing to shell out for MASSIVE servers to handle all this on top of all the streaming services and people playing MP games, crashes and server overload would become the norm. Plus you'd also have to consider the cost's of these servers being passed down to the consumer.

Bottom line, it's not gonna happen next gen and personally I enjoy having the CHOICE of whether to download games or buy a physical copy.

Symmetric-XBA
10-06-2011, 05:08 AM
No thanks. With the way drm is already affecting things, I wanna own my game and be able to play it regardless if I'm connected online or not. I also enjoy having the ability to sell/trade/borrow games when I want to. Digital download will eliminate that completely. Second, you aren't considering the fact that broadband isn't everywhere nor is it at a level where people downloading massive files would get them in a reasonable timeframe (if at all considering some ISP have caps and more are suggesting they will do this as well). Imagine downloading Rage and it's 22 gigs of space......

Further, imagine millions all trying to download the newest Halo at launch. Unless the game companies are willing to shell out for MASSIVE servers to handle all this on top of all the streaming services and people playing MP games, crashes and server overload would become the norm. Plus you'd also have to consider the cost's of these servers being passed down to the consumer.

Bottom line, it's not gonna happen next gen and personally I enjoy having the CHOICE of whether to download games or buy a physical copy.

Well put sir! Imagine the lag that would happen constantly? lol that would be a crazy situation lol. I wonder how OnLive will do with this b/c isn't that an online only service w/ no discs?

Conor
10-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Rumors point to Nov 15th

Ye I've seen that now, good. Lets wait and see.

RalliArtEvo
10-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Well put sir! Imagine the lag that would happen constantly? lol that would be a crazy situation lol. I wonder how OnLive will do with this b/c isn't that an online only service w/ no discs?

yes, onlive is only through the internet, except that you are streaming off of their servers when you play, basically a "cloud" server. What this means is that you can play pretty much anything (crysis on max settings for instance) on any computer regardless of what you have inside your PC, however it does require a good internet connection and you still are streaming the game, so you'll get lag and the picture is streaming quality, so it's not gonna look as good as if you were running it off your computer. Reports have been mixed so far on quality and Onlive won't release sale's/customer number's, so it's hard to gauge how well it's actually doing at this point.

FPSMadPaul
10-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Reports have been mixed so far on quality and Onlive won't release sale's/customer number's, so it's hard to gauge how well it's actually doing at this point.
Especially given the fact they are actually handing out consoles to anyone who'll take it. :bang:

jokerkill
10-15-2011, 01:27 AM
There's been a ton of speculation around the internet about the Xbox 720 (what i'm calling it for now lol) and some of the games that we can expect to see. As you may or may not know Skyrim was supposed to be a title on the next gen xbox console, however, reality seems to be a bit different.

Here's some of the latest rumors though... which offer some tantilizing promise.

The latest issue of Xbox World is reporting via the rumor section that a number of Microsoft developers are currently prepping a wave of brand new titles for the unannounced successor to the Xbox 360.

According to the November 2011 edition of the publication, a notable selection of high-profile development studios are now in the process of manning big-budget teams for a bout of new games for the Xbox 720.

Recent rumors floating about include the possibility that Turn 10 are hard at work on Forza 5 for the fabled next generation console, in addition to powerhouse developer Epic supposedly developing Gears of War 4 as a launch title for the device – tantalizingly rumored to be pegged in for a 2013 release.

”Rare, Lionhead and Turn 10 all have teams in place too – Rare, we hear, are even prototyping ideas for a new ‘mature’ title.”

PLEASE DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN LET RARE BE BRINGING BACK KILLER INSTINCT lmao (what was just a dream, may finally in our lifetimes become a reality).

So there you have it fellow xbox'ers, what do you think about the possiblity of these rumors becoming truth? The next console is slated to be released in the next few years, that should give them time to prepare for the next generation in gaming warfare?
Alright, listen to this stuff. I work at a movie theater and I saw this in the movie Real Steel. In the fights in the main ring, if you pay attention to the advertisements they are featuring sprint, Motorola, and last but not least.....Xbox 720.

SamSmith
10-15-2011, 09:59 AM
I think an On-Live type service is the way things will go. I just hope it stands for the moment, as it is well ahead of its time.

Ainokeatoo
10-15-2011, 06:32 PM
I think an On-Live type service is the way things will go. I just hope it stands for the moment, as it is well ahead of its time.

I think it's a nice idea, but then again it looks like steam. =/ I prefer to have my games in my hands like it's always been for me.

SamSmith
10-16-2011, 12:38 PM
I think it's a nice idea, but then again it looks like steam. =/ I prefer to have my games in my hands like it's always been for me.

You're in a minority, a significant one, but still a minority.

Physical media and anything that involves a significant manufacturing process / middle man (numerous ones in this case) costs more. Digital distribution has the potential to either lower the cost of games, or if not that, then to increase profits for publishers.

Variation-XBA
10-16-2011, 03:50 PM
You're in a minority, a significant one, but still a minority.

Physical media and anything that involves a significant manufacturing process / middle man (numerous ones in this case) costs more. Digital distribution has the potential to either lower the cost of games, or if not that, then to increase profits for publishers.

I'm with Aino. I'll always buy physical over digital unless the pricing is completely skewed. (I'm buying BF3 pc disc vs download)

Steeps5
10-17-2011, 01:23 AM
I'm with Aino. I'll always buy physical over digital unless the pricing is completely skewed. (I'm buying BF3 pc disc vs download)

I'll have to agree with Var on that one. I like to have my physical collection.

Main reason being: Say either your computer or Xbox break, or the hard drives fail. With downloadable content you will have to re-download entire games back to those hard drives. Who knows how long that could take for entire collections.

With the physical media (at least on consoles) they usually do not require installs so you can just put the disc right in and play. On PC it skips the download step and is just the install.

So, I prefer physical media unless the games are small. Say less than one gigabyte.

Variation-XBA
10-17-2011, 01:48 AM
I'll have to agree with Var on that one. I like to have my physical collection.

Main reason being: Say either your computer or Xbox break, or the hard drives fail. With downloadable content you will have to re-download entire games back to those hard drives. Who knows how long that could take for entire collections.

With the physical media (at least on consoles) they usually do not require installs so you can just put the disc right in and play. On PC it skips the download step and is just the install.

So, I prefer physical media unless the games are small. Say less than one gigabyte.

Yea, and what am I going to fill my bookshelves with :cheers:

RalliArtEvo
10-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Steam is VASTLY superior to onlive. You actually download the games to your computer whereas onlive you are playing a "stream" from onlive's servers. So if you lose your connection to onlive or onlive shuts down, you can't play. Steam on the other hand allows you to play offline if you choose and also allows you to put your software on as many different PC's as you want. Then we have the ability to use 3rd party mods with steam, but onlive you can't since onlive is the one controlling the content.

Onlive (IMO) is only good for someone who has an outdated computer but wants to play the latest software. Since you aren't actually using your computer as anything more than a "window" to onlives machines, computer specs don't matter. There are quite a few drawbacks though and I can say for certain that it'll be a LONG time before playing games in this manner will match playing them from your console/computer.

Onlive and this style of gaming is something that I hope NEVER becomes the standard as it essentially takes away all control from the user and gives it to a company who calls ALL the shots.