PDA

View Full Version : Rage or Dark Souls or both?

Symmetric-XBA
10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Tonight marks the release of Rage and Dark Souls and was wondering what games everyone was picking up? I've never played Demon Souls and have heard the tales of the difficulty of it so thats what initally peaked my interest, then having seen video footage it just solidified it even more. I'm anxious to dive into Rage and Dark Souls tonight.

Variation-XBA
10-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm getting Dark Souls. I don't get the hype for Rage yet personally

Unreal
10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I have Demon Souls and it is hard as fawk. Dark Souls is even harder. If you don't mind dying like there is no tomorrow then I guess have fun. I am skipping it and I picked up Rage instead.

FPSMadPaul
10-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Rage for me, although I won't have the joy of playing it until Friday.
Damn UK release day!

Variation-XBA
10-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Just got home with my Dark Souls Collector Edition :D

Variation-XBA
10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Holy balls is Dark Souls hard...

Ainokeatoo
10-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Holy balls is Dark Souls hard...

Told you to pick up Demon Souls. lol.

Anyway, I took Rage over Dark Souls. I'm loving rage so far, it's an amazing game.

Dark souls, in all honesty, is a Demons Souls expansion wrapped up and sold as a new game. The gameplay was slightly tweaked and it's set on new maps, it could have been released as DLC if the company creating the game didn't sit on their "We're a 90's gaming company try hard so we're not releasing DLC for our two games because we believe they don't need it." perch.

I appreciate the way they're going with their games, purporting that they have enough confidence in their game that they don't "need" dlc, but in this day and age, dlc is what makes a company money, the more play you can get from your game the better.

SO, with that said, I love Rage, it's not the greatest game in the world, and (at least from disc) does have texture pop issues, but the gameplay is just about solid. It needs to refine its driving controls (huge issue with the reverse and braking) among a couple other things in my opinion. But that aside, its campaign is awesome, really hits that "wasteland" Post-apocalyptic feel, it's no Fallout, but it is a good game.

Shadow20002
10-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Dark Souls. :)

Variation-XBA
10-05-2011, 11:04 AM

I have Demons Souls. I wasn't able to finish the first level on it, it's looking the same for Dark Souls as well... :cuss::bang:

RalliArtEvo
10-05-2011, 06:07 PM

Anyway, I took Rage over Dark Souls. I'm loving rage so far, it's an amazing game.

Dark souls, in all honesty, is a Demons Souls expansion wrapped up and sold as a new game. The gameplay was slightly tweaked and it's set on new maps, it could have been released as DLC if the company creating the game didn't sit on their "We're a 90's gaming company try hard so we're not releasing DLC for our two games because we believe they don't need it." perch.

:confused: the game is set in an open world vs a hub in the first. How is that just "new maps"? Also, why is it wrong that From Software doesn't believe in releasing DLC for games that BOTH have 50-100 hours worth of gameplay?

I'm sorry bro, but again you're painting a picture about a game that isn't accurate. Dark Soul's is in NO WAY an expansion nor could it simply be released as DLC.

RalliArtEvo
10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
I have Demons Souls. I wasn't able to finish the first level on it, it's looking the same for Dark Souls as well... :cuss::bang:

Not sure how you feel about guides, but if there was ever a reason to get one, this game is it. You'll be amazed at the amount of depth this game offers once things are explained and it'll help you understand how to better fight enemies/bosses.

A word of advice, take things SLOW and learn from your mistakes. While Demon Soul's was a challenging game, it get's that reputation because gamers today are spoiled with all the handholding that goes on. Both Demon and Dark soul's games make you really think about combat instead of just hammering enemies till they die. Each enemy has to be taken as a serious threat and when you die, don't look at it as an annoyance, look at it as a learning experience so next time you don't make the same mistake. For me, Demon Soul's wasn't really THAT hard, it's just got a more deliberate pace and encourages thought and strategy to your battles that the vast majority of games lack these days.

Symmetric-XBA
10-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I want more horse armor lmao

FPSMadPaul
10-07-2011, 05:57 AM
I recieved Rage yesterday and I'm absolutely loving it. Blasted through the co-op campain on normal yesterday and I hope to make a dent in the single player tonight. Anyone else played co-op yet? (It's on disc 3)

xBlackmagic20x
10-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I like my games to have everything in the initial purchase of the game. I don't want to have to pay extra money after the game is out to continue the story. Thats one of oblivion's fault's is they have so much DLC after you pay the 60$. In this economy its hard to just buy DLC after DLC, 15 $ here and there starts adding up.

As far as Dark souls I love it. It's my favorite game That I've played this year. Its challenging and has some of the best combat I've ever seen in an RPG. Its really under hyped though. Which is a shame because this game is a true gem. :/

Symmetric-XBA
10-07-2011, 11:12 AM
imo dlc for games can be a good and bad thing. dlc that offers me a chance to dive back into a game that i loved playing (fallout new vegas, oblivion, etc..) and offers me a great deal of content for my money is worth it for me. obv, the devs could spend the time and delay the game just to include it in the initial release but with deadlines to meet I'd rather see the devs produce a quality title, and then shift focus and put forth the same effort into future dlc.

the dlc that I think is worthless is when you are asked to pay a premium price for something very trivial that doesn't give you nearly anything in terms of additional hours of enjoyment. such examples I can think of off the top of my head are ace combat plane skins, horse armor, and more.. I even find myself questioning purchasing mp dlc such as the new gow3 dlc or the mk dlc (granted i'm a dlc whore, so i'll prob. pick those up anyways lol).

imo dlc needs to be worthwhile for the mass market to pick up and enjoy. instead of charging for skins, charge for new content such as games like ME2 where you can actually dive into new story plots, meet new additional gameplay characters and more. however, if it's something as simple as having a new blue costume to play with, then the ability to sell that to the masses becomes a great challenge. sure they market it to the "hardcore" fans, but what happenes when those hardcore fans put the game down and start playing something else?

Variation-XBA
10-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Locking the thread and deleting all the garbage. Take it to private messages. Anyone can feel free to make a Rage or Dark Souls thread if they wish.