PDA

View Full Version : PS4, Xbox 720 targeting 2014 release

adrean
01-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Microsoft and Sony plan to hold off releasing their next consoles until 2014.Despite strong rumours that Nintendo will reveal its next-gen console at E3 this year for a release in 2012, MS and Sony are said to be 'hoping' they can continue with their plan of giving their current machines long long innings.Even if MS does release a console in 2013, it's more likely to be a Kinect-enabled Xbox 360 rather than a next-gen console.

Ainokeatoo
01-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Microsoft and Sony plan to hold off releasing their next consoles until 2014.Despite strong rumours that Nintendo will reveal its next-gen console at E3 this year for a release in 2012, MS and Sony are said to be 'hoping' they can continue with their plan of giving their current machines long long innings.Even if MS does release a console in 2013, it's more likely to be a Kinect-enabled Xbox 360 rather than a next-gen console.

Proof of this? I'll believe this when they release information, the whole "OH JESUS THEY'RE ANNOUNCING THE NEW CONSOLE THIS YEAR AT X EVENT" rumor spreading is getting irritating.

Symmetric-XBA
01-02-2012, 05:04 PM
maybe I can help clarify? I believe what he was saying was "on some day, somewhere, someone will show something about microsoft's new gaming console"

vman
01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
cite your sources, bro.

The next gen outlook is looking a little cloudy. afterall, how much more powerful can they make these consoles? Well, if you ask me, its looking like the next "leap" is 3D gaming. We've already gotten a taste of it in this generation with the PS3, and the 3DS is paving the way for the future.

That being said, I think the focus on the next consoles will be features. App based features that will make the console the focus of everything media in your living room. We've already seen the consoles breaking into the TV and movie media with Netflix, Hulu, etc. and into the social media relm as well. Basically the goal is to make your TV the media "control room" in the house and the Big 3 want their consoles making it possible.

I believe that motion control is another step toward eventual virtual reality but not this next gen. I dont think motion control will be a standard for all games, but as the technology for that gets better, it will be seen in a lot more games and it will be done better and not just an added after thought. But lets be honest, not all gaming genres cant take advantage of this. especially for purist core gamers, I believe they prefer the gamepads.

Steeps5
01-03-2012, 01:17 AM
I thought the guy was a bot from seeing 5-6 new posts that had not even been replied to earlier.

Ainokeatoo
01-03-2012, 01:18 AM
maybe I can help clarify? I believe what he was saying was "on some day, somewhere, someone will show something about microsoft's new gaming console"

I giggled a little reading that.

For Vman:

For the majority of the part I agree. But you'll be surprised how much more powerful these consoles COULD be made to be, I mean they're pretty powerful now, especially the PS3. But compared to PC's these days they're pretty behind. The new Xbox could do with a new disc format and a more powerful CPU while continuing on with the superior GPU. While a new PS3 could do with an updated "CPU" along with a better GPU.

I do agree that a lot of features for the Xbox would most likely be in the form of "Free and Paid Apps". I'm not sure if Sony will follow this model though nor would Nintendo. Further, I really don't believe Motion Gaming will be a standard for a little while more. Especially for the Xbox, the Kinect isn't doing the greatest at the moment, nor is Move I believe.

Unreal
01-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Further, I really don't believe Motion Gaming will be a standard for a little while more. Especially for the Xbox, the Kinect isn't doing the greatest at the moment, nor is Move I believe.
Without sales numbers from this holiday. The Kinect is close to 15 million units sold. I am trying to find the site to confirm, but I can't remember where I read it :( With that said, what do you consider not doing well? It was at 10 million months ago. I got one for christmas for Forza 4.

laughs
01-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Xbox 720 lololololollll... If I was an alien, and I first came to this planet, I would think that there were 720 versions of the Xbox.

Variation-XBA
01-03-2012, 11:44 AM
I find it funnier you guys are talking with a spambot :)

laughs
01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
I find it funnier you guys are talking with a spambot :)

Your mom's a spambot.

Variation-XBA
01-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Your mom's a spambot.

Well that's not very nice :(

Symmetrics Love
01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Your mom's a spambot.

LMAO :rofl:

Ainokeatoo
01-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Without sales numbers from this holiday. The Kinect is close to 15 million units sold. I am trying to find the site to confirm, but I can't remember where I read it :( With that said, what do you consider not doing well? It was at 10 million months ago. I got one for christmas for Forza 4.

Just various opinions across gaming news sites. I don't own it nor do I really care for it as a form of gaming, but if someone were to give me one (Var HINT HINT) I wouldn't be opposed to using it. I just overheard from various news sites and sources that it wasn't doing as great as planned, I could be wrong but that's just what I've heard.

Unreal
01-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Just various opinions across gaming news sites. I don't own it nor do I really care for it as a form of gaming, but if someone were to give me one (Var HINT HINT) I wouldn't be opposed to using it. I just overheard from various news sites and sources that it wasn't doing as great as planned, I could be wrong but that's just what I've heard.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/ten-million-kinect-sales-break-world-record/story-e6frf7l6-1226019318944

This was 10 months ago. So they will have a lot more sold since then. Anyway, from a sales stand point and the fact that its an add on. I think its a success. Game wise there hasn't been anything to make me take the plunge till Forza 4. But since its geared towards the casual market I think MS is happy where its at. BTW, I love Kinect for the dashboard use.

Variation-XBA
01-04-2012, 02:06 AM

Don't hold your breath buddy ;)
:cool:

Ainokeatoo
01-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Don't hold your breath buddy ;)
:cool:

That's okay, you'll fall victim to my feminine wiles one day. :cool:

vman
01-04-2012, 05:10 PM
For the majority of the part I agree. But you'll be surprised how much more powerful these consoles COULD be made to be, I mean they're pretty powerful now, especially the PS3. But compared to PC's these days they're pretty behind. The new Xbox could do with a new disc format and a more powerful CPU while continuing on with the superior GPU. While a new PS3 could do with an updated "CPU" along with a better GPU.

I do agree that a lot of features for the Xbox would most likely be in the form of "Free and Paid Apps". I'm not sure if Sony will follow this model though nor would Nintendo. Further, I really don't believe Motion Gaming will be a standard for a little while more. Especially for the Xbox, the Kinect isn't doing the greatest at the moment, nor is Move I believe.
I don't deny they can make the consoles more powerful. I was just alluding to the fact that most improvements made to the hardware won't be noticeable to the casual gamers. Casual gamers arent gonna know the specs and arent gonna care. Current gen graphics are damn near close to real life so I'm assuming if that next gen will be basically what we see in the real world. The leap won't be as drastic as N64 -> Xbox.

As far as motion gaming being a standard, I didn't mean the entire game being motion controlled (like Fable:the journey) but it being at least an option or just a side feature like what we are seeing with Ghost Recon Future Soldier. But just look at the WiiU controller, touch screen, motion controls, and cameras added to the traditional gamepad. Thats where we are headed.