PDA

View Full Version : Is on-line play a MUSt for games here on out??

Highlite23
03-15-2002, 10:02 AM
Do you think that the masses are going to be disapointed if all the games comming out around/after the launch of MS's service are not on-line??

I can't wait for on-line play, but i can enjoy a GOOD game even without it.

I loved PSO on-line, but when Sega.net went pretty much bye-bye, i still played/play this game.

Do you think developers are going to start becoming obsesed with developing a game with on-line capabilities and maybe loose site of developing a quality game first, and then see if on-line capabilities are worth implamenting.

With all the on-line hupla, i was just wondering how the Addicts felt.

E-Xbox
03-15-2002, 10:24 AM
ahh....
but there is always gamespy....and other proggys like it

peace

shererboat
03-15-2002, 10:43 AM
i dont think developers will lose sight b/c of on line capabilities...

actually i think theyll look at that and other advantages that the xbox has, like the built in harddrive, and just see them as bonuses to the ideas they already had for the game......

online play shouldnt be a necessity for ALL upcoming games, but it sure beats playing the same person at home day after day!!:rolleyes:

Exatox
03-15-2002, 10:46 AM
gamespy is to hard to find a good game or challenge. Plus everybody LAGS! I often bring my box to school in my Cisco Class and hook it up to a projecter (like having a 60" TV!). and run the game trhough a dual T1 server

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Exatox
gamespy is to hard to find a good game or challenge. Plus everybody LAGS! I often bring my box to school in my Cisco Class and hook it up to a projecter (like having a 60" TV!). and run the game trhough a dual T1 server

Sweet!! Look me up! I'm [XBA]-Maximus on Gamespy..I'll give you a challenge :D

As for companies making on-line games...I don't think they will lose site. If you ask me, on-line gaming is going to be even more competitive, because it is gaming of the future...and companies need to set a higher standard because of this :) Anyway, that's just my philosophy on it

Batman2372
03-15-2002, 11:37 AM
On-line gaming is the next level, and it's already here for PC's. Just look at the success of games such as Everquest and UO. I see console games coming up to speed with those big boys in the VERY near future. Star Wars KOTOR is a major step.

Does every game need to be multiplayer? Probably not. Will the majority of multiplayer games be on-line capable? As time goes on, probably.

mahalan
03-15-2002, 12:14 PM
I think you'll see most major titles with online capabilities since it will significantly expand their market. Even after online console gaming becomes established you'll still see niche games which are single player. Some of them will even be great and become hits.

The biggest problem with online games is maintaining their longterm profitability. It costs a fortune to keep the servers running smoothly and minimize cheating. Subscription fees help here but they still won't cover your costs if a large percentage of your players are active (as opposed to the typical AOL subscriber). Once game sales drop off, it's to the developer's advantage to make the game obsolete to minimize costs and redeploy servers.

A nice advantage for us is that Microsoft has a bead on using this as their entre to compete with AOL/Time Warner. They'll be willing to lose some money if it buys them subscribers. I can't wait to hear what they announce for their online plans this summer.

Hugh_Jass
03-15-2002, 12:23 PM
Online gaming is still somewhat of a novelty of consoles. As the XBOX matures its online capabilities will just be taken for granted. Games that will benefit from online functionality will adopt it. Other games are designed for single-player excellence and online connectivity is unnecessary.

That's the beauty of the XBOX. It enables developers with freedom of design. It allows no-compromise implementation of the designer's vision.

mahalan
03-15-2002, 12:34 PM
Got to disagree with ya, Hugh.

The ability to go online increases replay value substantially. It also makes game development substantially easier by reducing the (system and programming) demands on game AI. It doesn't matter what game you select, once you learn how the AI works it's a cakewalk. Not so with other humans.

Once online console gaming has had a chance to catch on MOST major titles will incorporate it. It'll be a requirement for raising capital.

DZNUTZ
03-15-2002, 01:39 PM
I'm diffinately excited about the online service rolling out.... theirs nothing better imo then competition...especially against someone u can talk smack to....which leads me to what i'm most excited about- the voice communication...how sweet is that. no more **** trying to play then type..then play. etc etc etc... i think that aspect alone gives MS a huge advantage in the online gaming sector. i'm keeping my faith that MS will blow my mind when they get everything in place.....i mean y not....they certainly met and exceeded my expectations when i finally got home after a longs day work on launch day..and ever since.

UltraMuffin
03-15-2002, 01:56 PM
There will always be a place for single player only games... I actually prefer great single player games to great multiplayer games. IMO, online RPGs are not the same genre as single player RPGs... I would hate to see all RPGs turn multiplayer. Same thing with mission based games... I mean, some games just wouldn't work right as an online experience.

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 02:04 PM
DXNUTZ...I agree, I'm really excited about the Voice Communicator as well!

Of course, with this, a gamer can select who he wants to communicate with...this would be great for games like CTF while strategizing with your team-mates who are at different locations :)

Brevity
03-15-2002, 06:27 PM
I agree w/Max & nutz
:) I was mad when I found that Fever did not link, atleast to other box's. Online gaming is IT. I would think that our collective views reflect those of most of the pop. so I think developers should make it possible. And if the game does not want to spend the $ or R&D to put that in then just let us link so we can use gamespy or have a lan party. :)