PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Halo (Pros Only PLease)

JJaX
03-15-2002, 10:43 AM
I know majority of us Halo Players play with the defualt look speeds. Its set just right for sniping and midrange combat. But it struck me today, wouldnt it be great to be able to say double tap the 'black' button and it would immediately toggle to a higher sensitvity for close combat.

How many times has someone gotten in close and you wished you could turn faster. Or you saw a chance to leap down on 3 guys with your shotgun and finish one guy off as you land on his head and pull a turn 180 on the fly to engage his friends. Of course you would loosen em up with a nice grenade before you leaped down. :D

I dunno, Maybe im just to used to the fast paced action and movements of other FPS like Quake and UT. But i think its a great idea for console gaming.

I would set my double tap to like 6. What do you think?

XBOX Dude
03-15-2002, 10:47 AM
yeah that sounds like a good idea but black i think toggles your gernade type and i think if they increased peed over all it would be better

JJaX
03-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by XBOX Dude
yeah that sounds like a good idea but black i think toggles your gernade type and i think if they increased peed over all it would be better

True but games can distinguish a press from a double tap. I just choose the black button as an example .......

shererboat
03-15-2002, 10:50 AM
i think pressing on the L analog would be a godd set up.......

that way u could press it then do a quick scan, and go back to normal if no ones there.........

XBOX Dude
03-15-2002, 10:51 AM
what if increased speed was something you picked up and when you double tap it would turn but you only have a certain amount of time. that would add another level to playing halo

JJaX
03-15-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by XBOX Dude
what if increased speed was something you picked up and when you double tap it would turn but you only have a certain amount of time. that would add another level to playing halo

SPeed powers ups have always been in FPS.

For example the speed ruin in the quake series, doubled your fire rate too.

What im talking about isnt a power up, just a option to have if you choose to use it.

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 11:04 AM
Personally, I've gotten used to it being on 6. With much practice, I have learned to Snipe on the run :)

Interesting idea, though. But, if you ask me, just get used to it being on 6. I went from 3 to 5 and then jumped to 6 and everything has been fine. Yes, it took a lot of time to get used to, but, it was a welcoming challenge. :)

JJaX
03-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
Personally, I've gotten used to it being on 6. With much practice, I have learned to Snipe on the run :)

Interesting idea, though. But, if you ask me, just get used to it being on 6. I went from 3 to 5 and then jumped to 6 and everything has been fine. Yes, it took a lot of time to get used to, but, it was a welcoming challenge. :)

I would imagine with such a high look speed you tend to line up your snipes while just strafing instead of strafing and looking at the sametime. If your able to leap around and adjust in the air and snipe with such a high speed you must have mad skillz. I do this at my current setting and see lots of potential upping my look speed. Im gonna have to train some..............

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

I would imagine with such a high look speed you tend to line up your snipe while just strafing instead of strafing and looking at the sametime.

Well, at first, yes...I mean, it takes a lot of practice....but, once you get it down, you can actually train yourself to actually aim with the right joystick instead of strafing. It takes a while to get used to the controls, but, now I have the head shot down with precision. I rarely lose an up-close battle, too, especially if I am equiped with the shot gun.

I mean, there isn't a lot of levels where you would utilize the Sniper to the level where you would utilzed a pistol or shotgun. Take Hang Em High for example. Yes, I do grab the Sniper atleast once in every bout and sometimes not at all (many times I won't need it because Gamespy has too many newbies).

Also, it is rare if I grab the Sniper in Chill Out, Derelict, or Longest.

The best levels for Sniping, of course, is Blood Gulch, Sidewinder, Boarding Action, and, yes, Hang Em High only if you have a challenging opponent. But, their's always the choice of a plethera of grenades thrown in their general direction in Hang Em High ;)

All I know is that I am addicted to Halo! I play it atleast an hour or two every night... Also, Rallisport Challenge and UFC Tapout get a lot of playing, too :)

Spaztic
03-15-2002, 11:30 AM
I have practiced quite a bit with halo and I found that the sniper rifle is truly the best weapon, in close situations and long! I have been able to get head shots at close range w/o the scope pretty often. When people are to close I use the melee option and usually make quick work out of them. Halo 2 needs some type of practice option with different targets at different ranges! I hopefully will be getting online this weekend with my friend, I will be avidly searching for maximus and jaxx I have been wanting to play you guys for awhile!

I don't feel the sensitivity needs to be adjusted but I do see what you mean that it could improve your turn around time. That is usually how I die is because I get flanked and cannot turn around in time. I think I am going to try turning up my sensitivity and see if that makes a difference.

Max and Jaxx when are you guys online during the weekend?

Spaztic
03-15-2002, 11:35 AM
Well, at first, yes...I mean, it takes a lot of practice....but, once you get it down, you can actually train yourself to actually aim with the right joystick instead of strafing.

I started the game with the legendary controller setup, but after playing max payne I swithed back to default. now my aiming has increased and I don't accidently kill myself while zooming in while standing on a ledge! The default setup is definatly the best, but the hardest to master.

fanofslipknotib
03-15-2002, 11:59 AM
Well, maybe for me changing my look sensitivity would be good. I am not that great of a sniper, so would it be better for a close range man like myself to change it to 5 or 6?

JJaX
03-15-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls

Next time you go on gamespy just go to your buddy list and find "JJaX". Next time i log on ill see your request and hopefuly can battle. I cant really say when i go on, Because i never really know.

Spaztic
03-15-2002, 12:07 PM
Next time you go on gamespy just go to your buddy list and find "JJaX". Next time i log on ill see your request and hopefuly can battle. I cant really say when i go on, Because i never really know.

I should be getting cable myself very soon so I will be online alot more, we need to team up and slay some newbie 2(us) against 4(them)!

JJaX
03-15-2002, 12:09 PM

I should be getting cable myself very soon so I will be online alot more, we need to team up and slay some newbie 2(us) against 4(them)!

gamespy is full of poor sported noobs. Ive done 4 on 1's and they managed to kill me 3 times while i got 50. Its difficult to play with more than 2 boxes and not get major lag. But id me more than happy to team up with any XBA member

Woocifer
03-15-2002, 12:15 PM
You know what would get rid of this problem? A keyboard and a mouse....why can't M@ just admit it? We need them and will be better off having them....

I'm skeptical about this voice recognition headset that is in dev. Could you imagine the amount of bastards speaking all at once and confusing everything in a game?

Keyboard and mouse would be a great addition to online gaming...and whats so wrong with it being a browser? I know why they didnt in the first place, beacuse developers didnt want to make games for an all in one machine...but we're passed that now, they obviously get it that the box has some muscle and following...You go to hell Bill Gates, you go to hell and you die!

JJaX
03-15-2002, 12:19 PM
I honestly dont care for the mouse. Think about it, its like my xbox is hooked and on a desk. Where would i put myu mouse pad on the floor? Play FPS laying on somach or back? Ill pass....

shererboat
03-15-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Woocifer
I'm skeptical about this voice recognition headset that is in dev. Could you imagine the amount of bastards speaking all at once and confusing everything in a game?

im actually looking forward to this!!!......im sure the amount of talking could be jambled if ur teammates are too busy singin along to ricky martin:eek: ........

but if u have good teammates (like JJaX and NiK), this could be such an advantage......playing on seperate screens and still being able to communicate as if ur next to each other.....

l Maximus l
03-15-2002, 12:53 PM

Cool, Bryanhls! I'll be on tonight (Friday) around 10:00pm PST and pretty much any time tomorrow (Saturday) BEFORE 4:30pm PST. I probably won't get a chance on Sunday :(

So, look me up!!! Just do a search for: [XBA]-Maximus :)