PDA

View Full Version : Darksiders II OT

Symmetric-XBA
08-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Well midnight has hit the east coast and now thousands of gamers can grab their hands on Darksiders II. Look for XBA's official review to go live tomorrow, but for those who have their game in hand now, how do you like it?

This game has TONS of loot to collect, each with varying degrees of bonuses, but the real joy has got to be possessed weapons. These are what I like to call "empty" weapons that you can combine with other weapons to incur MASSIVE bonuses for Death. I suggest making a save file before doing any work with possessed weapons so that if a mistake is made, you can simply restart the process.

Some hints I can share is the focus on 2 things, strength and health per hit. Strength will increase Death's natural ability to deal damage (and should be a main factor for ALL items), but the real gem comes from the "health per hit" catagory. This allows Death to heal himself with every hit of his scythes and thus elmininates any need of health potions. These stats can be improved upon based on what level you decide to include these bonuses. Let me explain.

There are 5 levels to upgrade your possessed weapons, the earlier you get your stat into the possessed weapons and the more items you combine with it that have that stat you want, then the higher your stat grows for that weapon, for example:

If you want to do "health per hit" on your possessed scythes, then what you must do is combine it with a weapon that has this ability. So lets say you have 2 hammers that have the health per hit option, use one to help upgrade the first level of your scythes, then after you chose the option to add "health per hit" to the scythes, combine the second hammer in upgrading the scythes to level 2. You will notice that when you select the 2nd hammer the "health per hit" row will have a GREEN number which means that this stat will be upgraded when the weapon is combined.

This also applies to every stat (strength, defense, shock damage, fire damage, etc)

If you upgrade early using powerful stats like "health per hit", then by the time your possessed weapons reach their max level, the stat will be through the roof. I can't stress enough how properly setting up these weapons are. They are VERY RARE (in my playthrough I only found 3 possessed weapons) and if done properly can be absolutely devastating.

Variation-XBA
08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Will you be posting the OST? ;)

Symmetric-XBA
08-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe... its the best surprise of the game. I know we'll b having a give a way contest where you can win it. Oooops spoke too soon

Symmetric-XBA
08-15-2012, 06:30 AM
In regard to possessed weapons, these things are f'ing rare. So rare in fact that after a complete 20+ hour playthrough, I only managed to come across 3 possessed weapons. These weapons don't start out with great stats, and that is where you come in. You have 5 levels of upgrading (you select one weapon bonus per level) and throughout each level your weapon will naturally increase it's weapon damage, but what you can create will undoubtedly be better than anything you can find or buy. Here's a step by step process on how I upgraded my possessed weapons.

Step 1: Find a possessed weapon - these are F'ING RARE, so if you find them, hold on to them!!

Step 2: Decide what bonuses you want to add to the weapon, for instance: Shock damage, Defense, Health, Strength, etc.. For my weapon I chose the following (IN ORDER, VERY IMPORTANT, You'll see why): Health steal, Strength, Shock Damage, Piercing Damage, Critical hit chance.

Step 3: Aquire the items you need to properly upgrade the weapon. DO NOT RUSH THIS STEP. Take each level independantly and make sure that you keep increasing the bonuses you have already aquired throughout the upgrade process. Go to EVERY merchant and buy EVERYTHING you can that benefits your weapon bonuses.

Now that you have your possessed weapon, it's time to start making something that will crush everything. But first.....

SAVE YOUR GAME. Before any/all upgrading you MUST SAVE because if you change the weapon and realize you made a mistake, too bad b/c you can't undo any changes made to the weapon.

Now that the game is saved, I checked my inventory to make sure that I had items for my first level of upgrading that had "Health per hit". I combined the weapons and when the first level of upgrading was done, I selected "Health steal" as the weapon's first bonus.

Now onto the 2nd level of upgrades. I chose to go with weapons that not only had "health steal" attributes, but strength as well. This means that not only was my health per hit attribute naturally growing, but upon completion of my 2nd level of upgrading I decided to chose strength as my 2nd weapon bonus.

For my 3rd upgrade level I wanted to do some elemental damage bonus so I chose items that had a mix between Shock damage, strength, and health per hit. This way not only was my strength and health steal naturally increasing but now after my 3rd level of upgrades were completed I chose to add Shock damage to my weapon for it's 3rd tier.

Onto the 4th upgrade level and I wanted something to help me with heavier armored enemies later on in the game so now I'm picking weapons with a mix of attributes from health steal, strength, shock damage, and now piercing damage. This way all three previous stats are being upgraded naturally and when the 4th level was done I had added piercing damage to the weapon.

For the final 5th level I decided to opt for an increase in critical hit chance. So now like the previous levels before I'm looking for weapons that can provide stat bonuses for my previous 4 tiers, but also include critical hit chance. Now at the end of this 5th stage, all my previous stats before have naturally grown along with the weapon's normal damage, and now I selected to add Crit. hit chance as my weapon's final bonus.

What does this all mean then?

Well for starters every hit I make with my scythes I gain more health than what a health potion can give so I can literally go up against anyone and anything and not worry about dying. With my increased strength and crit. hit chance i'm also dealing out over 3000 damage per swing which means that even bosses become mere delays instead of overwhelming obstacles. Plus with shock damage and piercing damage added and increased it naturally deals out over 50 points of damage from both shock and piercing so add over 100+ per swing of damage, and shock will have the ability to slow enemies down temporarily, just like frost.

After constructing my main weapon I realized that there's no need to ever get another health potion, or any other weapon for that matter. You can also find possessed secondary weapons and when you follow the steps above for those as well, then you can equip both and really unleash Death's power at will.

Hope this helps!! If you have need of any items, hit me up b/c I've got so much stuff in my inventory now I just sell it to increase open slots. lol.