PDA

View Full Version : Gamespy help!!!!

scoomey
03-15-2002, 05:39 PM
I have DSL and i dont understand why people lag when im the server. is there anyway i can fix this. also why do some people have like 300ms whatever that is and i only have 1ms.if anyone has any ideas please help.

mahalan
03-15-2002, 05:55 PM
To really explain this would take a VERY long time and is probably a LOT more information than you'd want.

When you're the server, your ping times are 1ms or less because its measuring the amount of time it takes to send information to yourself. Others have ping times substantially higher because you're communicating to them via the Internet. Your signal passes from your Xbox to your PC, from your PC to your ISP, from your ISP to someone on the web backbone, to someone else on the web backbone, etc. until the signal finally makes it to the other player. Not all packets make it. Of those that do make it, some arrive quickly, others don't.

Is there anything you can do about it? Not really. You've already got a high speed connection. Playing games with people who consistently have low ping times with you will help reduce lag.

There's also server lag which could also be the cause but that's a whole other story.

scoomey
03-15-2002, 06:08 PM
how do i know other peoples ping times?

Piccolo_DBz
03-15-2002, 06:11 PM
It says right next to there screename I think.