PDA

View Full Version : Broadband : What is the specification of the ethernet connection?

thestorm
03-15-2002, 05:57 PM
Hi all

I'm from London, UK.
I got my XBOX yesterday.
I bought 4 games, an advance AV connector for the home theatre, extra controller.

The games i got are :

-Rally Sport Challenge
-Dead Or Alive
-Halo
-Max Payne

They're all excellent in their own way.
Rally Sport Challenge was a real suprise. I took a risk with that game and it turned out excellent. It takes a bit of time to learn the controls but it pays of nicely.
I particular like the first person view in the car. You can really feel the speed.

Anyway.. i'm rambling!
I have a question for you.

Can you tell me EXACTLY what the connection of the ETHERNET port is on the XBOX.
Does it have a specific connection specification? like rj45 or rj11 etc?
What do i need to know to connect it to a router? usb hub etc?

please advise as I'm looking to upgrade to a cable service.

many thanks,
Shaz

Chr0nik
03-15-2002, 05:58 PM
Most likely 10/100.

Piccolo_DBz
03-15-2002, 06:01 PM
10/100, RJ45 Straight, Your gonna need a HUB or 4 port Router to hook it up. I suggest a Router. I use a linksys 4port wireless router.

thestorm
03-15-2002, 06:17 PM
Hi Guys

thanks for the help.
i'll keep that in mind.

Why would u use a router?
Isn't a a hub enough?

I could have a hub connected to the CABLE connection and
to that hub my first pc (pc1), pc2 and xbox?

Is that ok?

Shaz

Snoopy7548
03-15-2002, 06:20 PM
get a switch, it provides like 100% bandwidth to each port, so playin your xbox will be fast online, max told me about the linksys 10/100 workgroup switch, it costs like 40 bucks, i would recommend it although i havent bought it yet, i still need some money.

Hugh_Jass
03-15-2002, 07:26 PM
Any cheap hub will be just fine.

I love switches but we're not moving massive amounts of data here. You can't go wrong with a switch but if you already own a hub you're good to go with no worries.