PDA

View Full Version : My Little UK Report

Mr.XboxLover
03-17-2002, 12:07 PM
As you might have noticed (probably not) this is my first post for quite a little while.... and guess why! Yep... that's right I got my UK Xbox.

Xbox launch was a big success with the street packed at 12 o'clock in my little town all queing for their lovely Xboxs'. Yet still not as many as I would have liked, seems everyone loves their PS2s far too much.

The Xbox itself was faaaaaarrrrr smaller than I was led to believe. I'd say it is the same size as an old stand alone DVD player. The US imports I have seen were much larger, well I thought they were! Probably my imagination.

I first tested the DVD player, yes I know I should have tried Halo first, and my jaw just dropped. I hadnt hit the games but the DVD player just smacked me across the face. I dont knwo if it was my advanced scart cable but that DVD player rocks!!! The crystal clarity of it all astounded me. And all soooooo silent.

The dashboard is like nothing I have ever seen before in my life!!! It was so easy to navigate as well as providing a piece of delicate eye candy which could do nothing but amaze!

So I put in Halo, and to begin with I wasnt that amazed, the movements were rather dodgy to begin with. Captain Keyes mouth just made me laugh. I soon found myself lost in the games remarkable gameplay, landing you in the action right away. Luckily all those half-life addon packs had prepared me for that moment. Once you get onto the actual Halo, again my jaw dropped. The detail was outstanding and the action superb. I have never played a game which managed to incorporate stunning gameplay with fluent high res graphics. You actually see blades of grass, and "good-bye triangular trees" this ones have leaves! This has to be the most awesome game of all time.

The other games failed to impress. Project Gotham was far too difficult to start with but after much perseverance I now am hitting gold. I can only play it on and off and dont lose myself within the game. Then DOA3, what a dissappointment! The graphics are great but as for "story mode" where the hell is the story!!!! The gameplay is rubbish and all i can find use for it is as a multiplayer bit of fun when drunk. Maybe my views of these games will change once I have played them a little more!

The Xbox itself is a fantastic piece of hardware and frankly putting it into words is difficult! The games need a little working on, excluding Halo which is almost perfect. I like games like Halo for their RPG value and for action adventure.

Can anyone out there reccomend an RPG or action adventure game which will be any good! Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic looks to be a stunner. As for Obi Wan, Im debating wether to buy it or not.

There a nice long post for you, just t make up for my absense, lol.

Mr.XboxLover

:)

GokuX
03-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Good to hear you like it and that the launch seemed to go well. Now we just need some sale numbers.

DIGITAL
03-17-2002, 12:43 PM
rent obi wan first ,i like it but alot of people dont ,i think you should pick up a copy of max payne when you get a chance!

JADE8704
03-17-2002, 12:49 PM
hey, thats great mr.xboxlover! how was the launch there at the UK? did it sell out? just wait till you get to play RSC...that game is way better than PGR in graphics :)

Mr.XboxLover
03-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Hiya,

RSC is a good game for people who like driving games, but they certainly are not my forté. Also I do not think graphics are too important as long as a game has a good feel and sucks you in.

All the reviews of Obi Wan are very poor indeed, and from the footage I have seen the battle droids dont put up any resistance. On the other hand give me a light saber and I'll be happy anyday! Bzzzzzzzzz....bzzzzzzzzzzzz.... feel the force!!

Selling figures most likly will not be released for about another week. I will try and do some digging and see what I can find. Like I say the hype has not been spectacular, then again the same was said of PS2. The main Brittish cities did well in sales ( as you could tell from the streams of people) but other areas were just not selling anything. It will be interesting to see. Here in Norfolk many do not herald the dawn of Xbox, let alone GameCube, and dont want their PS2s to be rediculed. The expence of Xbox is what holds them back. Therefore when prices drop I am sure they will go out and get one.

I am waiting for Buffy! I just cannot wait to get that game! A well structured fighting game, wopppeeeeee! I think it will be a league of its own but im sure it will be fun and captivating.

Mr.XboxLover

gula
03-17-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Mr.XboxLover
Hiya,

RSC is a good game for people who like driving games, but they certainly are not my forté. Also I do not think graphics are too important as long as a game has a good feel and sucks you in.

I'm not really into driving games, until I bought Rallisport Challenge. I love everything about the game, from the gameplay to the graphics. I love it all!

Xbox Owner
03-17-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by gula

I'm not really into driving games, until I bought Rallisport Challenge. I love everything about the game, from the gameplay to the graphics. I love it all!

Yea man, same with me, although I havn't bought it yet, Iv'e played it a store called funcoland. This game is awesome.

mattcoxonline
03-17-2002, 02:44 PM
Then DOA3, what a dissappointment! The graphics are great but as for "story mode" where the hell is the story!!!! The gameplay is rubbish and all i can find use for it is as a multiplayer bit of fun when drunk. Maybe my views of these games will change once I have played them a little more!

I agree with this. I completed syory mode in just under 1hr on the default setting. I didn't really see where the story was, but did get the point that nearly all the characters are related. But I did enjoy the end videos -- especially the girls ones. ;)

Also, i have been playing Halo for hours on the default setting, and I am on level 6, this is a great game.........can't express how good it is. :D

I have got PGR (I got the same games as you!) and am impressed with this. I have set up two profiles, but one is the cheat to get all cars and tracks and I use his profile just for Multiplayer games when me mates come round to show off the range of cars and quality of the game.

Anyway, I'm off now, play more Halo until 28th March when I get Silent Hill 2. :)

MOlsen
03-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Well, here in the US, Rally's are ... well unknown to be kind. And I'm a lousy driver, even in a normal car, to say nothing of driving games. I don't like PGR at all, can't understand the interest some people have in it. But, I saw RSC in a game store here in Texas, and it is super! Great to play, and I don't like driving games either. When I do get my Box next month, I will get it with my Xbox.

darianX
03-17-2002, 06:56 PM
This might be offtopic here. but I have to respond to the DOA accusations. Story mode has never been a strong point in any of the DOA games. They don't attempt to tell a deep and intricate story like the beloved Halo or MGS2. Story mode simply gives out a little info on each of the characters. Furthermore, DOA isn't really a single player type of game. It's the type of game to play when your friends come over, and there is where it really shines.

I'm always hearing about how DOA3 sucks and so on...I really can't see that being true. Here's why: Tecmo has sold over 500,000 copies and recounted all their costs already. Now, out of that 1/2 million sold, you would think you could find it used or for rent somewhere easily. Every video rental place I've been to never has DOA in for rent. It's always out. And every game shop I know never has DOA available in their used game inventory. Either it sells immediately or people just aren't trading it in.

I, for one, am looking forward to the bonus add-on disk coming in June for DOA. There is no dust on my copy for sure :) We should be thankful that Tecmo is giving out a FREE add-on for a game...it's their way of saying thanks to us Xbox owners for buying their game. Hopefully more developers will follow suit and release bonus materials. Well, I'm done ranting now :D

DenniZz81
03-18-2002, 03:04 AM
As you might have noticed (probably not) this is my first post for quite a little while.... and guess why! Yep... that's right I got my UK Xbox.

Xbox launch was a big success with the street packed at 12 o'clock in my little town all queing for their lovely Xboxs'. Yet still not as many as I would have liked, seems everyone loves their PS2s far too much.

The Xbox itself was faaaaaarrrrr smaller than I was led to believe. I'd say it is the same size as an old stand alone DVD player. The US imports I have seen were much larger, well I thought they were! Probably my imagination.

I first tested the DVD player, yes I know I should have tried Halo first, and my jaw just dropped. I hadnt hit the games but the DVD player just smacked me across the face. I dont knwo if it was my advanced scart cable but that DVD player rocks!!! The crystal clarity of it all astounded me. And all soooooo silent.

The dashboard is like nothing I have ever seen before in my life!!! It was so easy to navigate as well as providing a piece of delicate eye candy which could do nothing but amaze!

So I put in Halo, and to begin with I wasnt that amazed, the movements were rather dodgy to begin with. Captain Keyes mouth just made me laugh. I soon found myself lost in the games remarkable gameplay, landing you in the action right away. Luckily all those half-life addon packs had prepared me for that moment. Once you get onto the actual Halo, again my jaw dropped. The detail was outstanding and the action superb. I have never played a game which managed to incorporate stunning gameplay with fluent high res graphics. You actually see blades of grass, and "good-bye triangular trees" this ones have leaves! This has to be the most awesome game of all time.

The other games failed to impress. Project Gotham was far too difficult to start with but after much perseverance I now am hitting gold. I can only play it on and off and dont lose myself within the game. Then DOA3, what a dissappointment! The graphics are great but as for "story mode" where the hell is the story!!!! The gameplay is rubbish and all i can find use for it is as a multiplayer bit of fun when drunk. Maybe my views of these games will change once I have played them a little more!

The Xbox itself is a fantastic piece of hardware and frankly putting it into words is difficult! The games need a little working on, excluding Halo which is almost perfect. I like games like Halo for their RPG value and for action adventure.

Can anyone out there reccomend an RPG or action adventure game which will be any good! Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic looks to be a stunner. As for Obi Wan, Im debating wether to buy it or not.

There a nice long post for you, just t make up for my absense, lol.

Mr.XboxLover

:)

My experience of Halo was quite like yours.. first i wasnt so impressed by its graphics when i was inside the ship but when i crashed on Halo it was absolutely one of the best if not the best game graphics i have seen in my whole life. I didnt think Doa3 sucked as much as you did :p Bring a friend over and take time to learn the gameplay and i think you will change your mind. Dont just press the buttons try to think!:D I havent played it more than 1 hour or so.... its just one of those games you have to play awhile before you start to like it. okey enough whit this bullsh*t lets start gaming!!!!

Halo of Flies
03-18-2002, 06:43 AM
Simular story with Halo here. I wasn't that impressed at first on the ship. Then, on the planet I was pleasantly suprised but the first time I stopped and went "WOW" was when you are out at night with the marines and they all have torches that show up all the bump-mapping!!

stilly
03-18-2002, 08:54 AM
yep got my xbox thursday, and i whacked in project gotham right away, (halo had to wait till the wife and sprog had left,or i knew that all they'd get from me where mummbles) and i was well impressed, lush graphics, good controls, played it for an hour, taking turns with the misses, then of she trotted(till monday), and in went halo, (and the fear that the control system would be beyond my grasp, two stick things for movement,gulp, would i be forever running around facing the floor, stuck in corners) but the fear was unfounded, with in a few minutes, 15 tops, i felt at ease, though trying to hit melee, without leaping 3 ft in the air stayed for hours, pesky buttons to close together, but what a game, what graphics, what realism, what enemy ai, all beyond my wildest dreams, i finished it sunday, after many,many hours of play, (anyone else got halo neck, this weekend ouch) and some of the levels had me drooling, war, total war, i see where combat evoled comes from, so i'm very happy with both purchases, halo has tons of replay value, and as long as i have the xbox, i will have halo, what a console, what games, and the best is yet to come i'm lead to belive, bilmey.:)

mattcoxonline
03-18-2002, 01:00 PM
Jade, I didn't like your signature too much, so I decided to spice it up a little:

(attached - or should be!)

Mr.XboxLover
03-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Hiya Again,

A day or so on.... the Xbox still rocks my world.

Halo, I have nearly finsihed and it is still a brilliant game and I really cant wait to try multiplayer out sometime!

DOA3 has not chnaged in my opinion, I have learned alot fo the moves and it still seems a fairly pointless game. With little or no structure. We'll see if my view changes in the future.

Project Gotham gets better and better, the more I become accustomed with the tracks the more times I hit Gold. Its a good game.

This is a quick update as I have little time to write tonight.

Mr.XboxLover

Afro Aura
03-18-2002, 05:43 PM
Hiya Again,

A day or so on.... the Xbox still rocks my world.

Halo, I have nearly finsihed and it is still a brilliant game and I really cant wait to try multiplayer out sometime!

DOA3 has not chnaged in my opinion, I have learned alot fo the moves and it still seems a fairly pointless game. With little or no structure. We'll see if my view changes in the future.

Project Gotham gets better and better, the more I become accustomed with the tracks the more times I hit Gold. Its a good game.

This is a quick update as I have little time to write tonight.

Mr.XboxLover
Yeah nice to know you love the XBOX I thinkI have to say and that is get that nasty though out of your head Obi Wan(abe)
It's SHYT

thunderkiss2k1
03-19-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Afro Aura

Yeah nice to know you love the XBOX I thinkI have to say and that is get that nasty though out of your head Obi Wan(abe)
It's SHYT

Aura, are you trying to say your opinion of the xbox has changed? That you no longer like it?

Mr.XboxLover
03-19-2002, 01:09 AM
Well at £50 a game I wont be making any rash decisions. I will rent Obi Wan out first, although that isnt quite so easy where I live.

Hope you are all enjoying your Xboxs'

Well it's 7:00 in the morning here and so I need to get ready.

Mr.XboxLover

Afro Aura
03-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by thunderkiss2k1

Aura, are you trying to say your opinion of the xbox has changed? That you no longer like it?
No mate I love my XBOXes I'm just saying Obi Wan(abe) is rubbish thats all.
Don't worry mate I'm not gonna hate the XBOX as I've got 2 one US and one PAL:D

thunderkiss2k1
03-19-2002, 02:48 PM

No mate I love my XBOXes I'm just saying Obi Wan(abe) is rubbish thats all.
Don't worry mate I'm not gonna hate the XBOX as I've got 2 one US and one PAL:D

Whew! You had me worried there mate! Lol, peace.:D

l Maximus l
03-19-2002, 02:53 PM
Hey, Mr.XBoxlover! Good to see you back, buddy!

By the way, if you even "like" Project Gotham Racing, you will !!!LOVE!!! Rallisport Challenge! That game sucks you in, no doubt about it! The graphics are mind blowing, but, more importantly, the gameplay is incredible! Definately, DO NOT pass up this game...atleast rent it...you will find that it will be in your video game library very shortly as you will own it! :D

As for Halo...you probably have only scratched the surface! Wait until you play the multi-player and system link a few XBoxes together! Oh man!! Also, get on-line as soon as you can! There's some awesome times at Gamespy and XBoxconnector! Halo is sweet while on-line!!! :eek:

Mr.XboxLover
03-19-2002, 03:16 PM
Hiya,

Thanks Maximus you sweety, hehe.

I liek project gotham racing, wot I dont liek about it is if you lose control of your car you'll come last and just cannot catch up how ever hard and perfect you drive. I also don't understand its loading speeds as in the lenght of time it takes Halo to load an entire world and stuff.. PGR is still loading. Oh well its an "ok" game which people tend to love and kick my buns at, oh well!

Halo, Im on some level where I have to follow a blue orb about to find the index room. I had never died until one of those levels. I find it ever so hard, and those floods really nark me off. It was such a great game then they had to put in summin that freaks me out. Oh well Im sure the gameplay will pick up, it seems to have dropped around these levels. I thought I had nearly completed it, but after consulting the strat guide i have loads to do.

Can I just say when I first saw the flood it actually gave me nightmares, lol. After a game of Halo I close my eyes and am still playing it, really wierd. Is it just me! lol

I'll check out Rallysport, it seems more my kind of racing game rather than one of these "boy racer" ones.

Thanks for your posts :)

Mr.XboxLover

Afro Aura
03-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Hey, Mr.XBoxlover! Good to see you back, buddy!

By the way, if you even "like" Project Gotham Racing, you will !!!LOVE!!! Rallisport Challenge! That game sucks you in, no doubt about it! The graphics are mind blowing, but, more importantly, the gameplay is incredible! Definately, DO NOT pass up this game...atleast rent it...you will find that it will be in your video game library very shortly as you will own it! :D

Hi ya Mr XboxLover
I agree with Max about RSC this game really sucks you in, last night I said I was going to bed at 11.30pm I stayed up untill 3.15am also it's a right old laugh when your friends come around to play it

Max the courses in the Pro Rally are impossible hahaha but I'll get thru this soooooon
See ya all:D :D

l Maximus l
03-19-2002, 04:02 PM

Hi ya Mr XboxLover
I agree with Max about RSC this game really sucks you in, last night I said I was going to bed at 11.30pm I stayed up untill 3.15am also it's a right old laugh when your friends come around to play it

Max the courses in the Pro Rally are impossible hahaha but I'll get thru this soooooon
See ya all:D :D

Dude, I agree! I had a total of four dudes playing Rallisport Challenge on multi-player and we could not stop yelling and laughing! Great times with Rallisport!!

Mr. XBoxlover...I know what you mean about not able to catch up on PGR...this is not the case with Rallisport...it's very possible to catch up and pass your opponents in this one...which makes it much more fun! So, I know exactly what you mean! Keep in mind that Rallisport Challenge has four different terrains - Gravel, Mud, Ice, and Tarmac (If no one knows what Tarmac is that is from the United States, it's Cement or Black top). The cool thing about these different terrains is that your car responds differently...so, it makes it even more fun! Yes, there are jumps and stuff, too! You simply cannot pass up this game...it's mind blowing!

Mr.XboxLover
03-20-2002, 01:29 AM
Dude, I agree! I had a total of four dudes playing Rallisport Challenge on multi-player and we could not stop yelling and laughing! Great times with Rallisport!!

This sounds more my kind of game, sadly Xbox games are not yet available to rent, so it looks like I will have to buy it. I'll search my current games and look for a demo. So you have convinced me and I will probably buy it.

Ahhh someone else who knows wot I am on about,,, that is really the only really I dislike PGR, and that one simple reason really bugs me.

Thanks for your posts :)

Mr.XboxLover

Halo of Flies
03-20-2002, 03:34 AM

sadly Xbox games are not yet available to rent, so it looks like I will have to buy it.
Not true, I'm from the UK and they have XBox games for rent at my local Blockbuster (I rented Rallisport the other day!).

tmo
03-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Hey guys n girls (if there are any out there)

Glad u hear ur all havin fun and wearing away the top layers of ur thumbs.

Well, got my baby on launch date and BOY have I missed a few nights sleep. Halo, well what can I say, AMAZING !! Also got Amp and even though I'm not into those kinda games it sure is addictive. Graphics are kewl and learning new tricks and gaining HUGH points. Gimme MORE !!

Wreckless......Hmmm.....graphics are stunning BUT not as addictive as I hoped.

DOA3. Graphics again, great but they sure do have alot of moves. I think this is more fun when you've had a few more drinks and you then get to see the funny side of it.

Max Payne, well, quite kewl, same as the PC (from what i have been told) but still quite kewl. The matrix feature is probably the only thing that promotes this game.

Oddesey.....graphic yet again kewl, more fun. Figuring out the tasks ur given but overall, not bad.

Well, Gotta fly now.........got games to play............:)