PDA

View Full Version : My Opinion on the Xbox One

Shawn-XBA
06-19-2013, 02:22 PM
I read through numerous forum posts over the past month or so about the Xbox One. I understand and value everyone’s opinion. However, I think some are opinions on things that are not fully understood, primarily because Microsoft just has not explained it very well. I want to try and explain some of the issues, and put my views on it and how it affects the way we game.

I see the same issues over and over in the forum, trading in games, Kinect, and 24 check in’s. I have read 100’s of articles over the course of the past month. I believe I have a pretty good understanding of how things are going to work once released. Of course all of this is subject to change if Microsoft decides to change policies. I will still say though, the Xbox One looks like the console of the future. I hope I can clear up some information on how it’s going to work, and maybe change people’s minds. I would hate to see people pay for the Playstation 4 to be disappointed, because afterwards it is the Xbox One that is really cutting edge.

First, let’s talk about trading in used games. You can trade in your used games, Microsoft is not taking that away from you. They are putting restrictions on the amount of times a game can be traded in, which won’t affect the first owner only the second owner of the title. With the Xbox One, Microsoft is giving the ability to game publishers to restrict trade in’s. However, I don’t see any publisher restricting titles from being traded in, especially when Sony and Nintendo have no such restrictions. You will be able to trade in games, as long as you bought it new. I think that is what people wanted, and that is what you get with the Xbox One. I don’t mind the one time trade in restriction, as I buy new games anyway. But if you are a used game buyer, and likes to trade them in, it is going to be a problem.

One major concern for me, which not many people are talking about, is the renting of games. I have a GameFly account, and that will pretty much become useless on the Xbox One. Microsoft is looking into allowing renting of their games, however have not come up with any specifics. I hope they figure something out. In the mean time, I do like the ability to pick 10 friends to share your games with. Due to the Cloud, I can allow 10 of my friends to play any of my games. I think this is awesome, especially considering I have friends that buy almost every game. As long as they allow me access to their game library I can play any game they own, without even having the disk. My friend and I can even play that game together. I think this is a game changer, you can’t do that anywhere. I think a lot of people over look this feature, and it adds even more value to your games.

Another thing you can do is give your game to a friend. There is a catch however; they must be on your friends list for more than 30 days. I would think however, if you were to gift a game to someone you have probably had them on your friends list for way more than 30 days. This does however; restrict your ability to sell games to third parties, i.e. Ebay, Amazon.com, and Craigslist. I think the restriction here however; will allow GameStop and other used game companies to give more for used titles during trade in. Only time will tell on this, and I look forward to seeing how this all plays out. I think that’s about it on trading in games, I got side tracked and explained a few other items too.

On to the Kinect, a lot of people are upset it is now required and there are some privacy issues I hope to be able to clear up. The new Kinect does come with every Xbox One, and must be plugged in for the console to work. I know a lot of people do not like the Kinect. This is a new Kinect however, no longer are the gimmicky and childish games. Of course there are still going to be children’s games for the Kinect, Microsoft would be committing suicide if they only made M rated games. Just think about playing Call of Duty Ghost, and yelling for the dog to attack the enemy, or playing a war game and calling in a bombing run by speaking as opposed to hitting a controller button. I think this is awesome. Kinect is no longer a cartoony sports or dance game peripheral. Kinect can now be used for so much more; I am very excited to see what publishers do with it.

The Kinect allows people to tell the console to turn on and off, and to do numerous things. A lot of talk around the internet, and here on XboxAddict believes the Xbox One is going to recording your every move, and every conversation you have within ear shot of the console. This is not true; Microsoft has already confirmed the Kinect and Xbox One will not record you unless you specifically allow it to. Microsoft will not upload any video or voice chat without your permission. Just so everyone knows, it would be illegal for Microsoft to do so without permission. You can turn Kinect sensing, On, Off, or Paused in the privacy settings of the console. You can also restrict Microsoft from saving any personal data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more. This is all about privacy, and there are settings on the Xbox One that allow you to keep your privacy intact. I hope this clears up some things about the Kinect, and the privacy issues that people are having.

Onto the last issue, and probably the biggest issue it seems. People do not like the “always online” connectivity. I can see this being a major problem for Microsoft, not everyone has internet. A close friend of mine plays the Xbox 360, he doesn’t have internet at all due to not being able to afford it. The Xbox One would not be an option at all for my friend. However, I do believe Microsoft can easily make this a mute point if you can play offline while having the disk in the tray. Now onto the positives, I love not using a disk ever again. The Xbox One install’s every game onto your hard drive, and uploads that information to the Cloud. You never have to put that disk into the console again. Gone are the times of playing multiple games and having to change the disks out every time. I think this is a great feature, and one I will be using on a daily basis.

Due to this feature however, you will have to have an internet connection. The internet connection checks to make sure you still have the rights to the game; it confirms you still own it. Your Xbox One does not always have to be online, however does need to check in every 24 hours while you are using your Xbox One. If you are at a friend’s house, that time gets decreased to 1 hour checks. I find that this doesn’t affect me, as I always have my Xbox 360 connected to the internet now. One upside I see for the Xbox One always being connected is you will never have to wait for game updates to download before you play a game. The console will automatically download updates to your games during the 24 hour check in.

Let’s say you are going to a friend’s house, and want to play a few games. Today you have to take the three games with you, which can sometimes be a pain. With the Xbox One, all you have to do is bring yourself. Once you get to your friends house, login to Xbox Live and you have access to your full gaming library as well are your game save data. This is only possible today by taking a memory card with you with the save data. This is awesome, I love this feature. I think I am going to become a big fan of the Cloud and all of its abilities.

I hope everyone has a greater understanding of how the Xbox One is going to work. I think this is the future of gaming, no more disks or memory cards needed. All the information is stored online, and available to you anywhere with an internet connection. I’m happy to see Microsoft making changes to console gaming; it’s been exactly the same for years. Sony is playing it safe, and doing the same old thing. I think eventually everything is going to be digital, Sony and Nintendo will follow Microsoft’s footsteps. It is just a matter of time; right now they are happy Microsoft is taking all the hits as everyone hates change. Thank you for taking the time to read, feel free to ask any questions you may have. I will answer to the best of my abilities.

Take care,

Shawn

Kamshaft
06-19-2013, 03:47 PM
http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/11835/rumor-ms-backing-down-on-drm-used-games.html

That may make the deal sweeter!

Shawn-XBA
06-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Well dang, this makes my opinion pointless now. Oh well, the kinect thing is still there. Haha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Symmetrics Love
06-19-2013, 04:10 PM
its already been confirmed for a lot of major issues... u can now rent, trade, sell, share games. also, u don't need an always on connection and its no longer region locked. http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Shawn-XBA
06-19-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm disappointed with the changes made by Microsoft today. I really liked the idea of not having to change disks, well that's gone now. I liked the being able to share games digitally with 10 friends, also gone. Well looks like the next console will be the same as the 360. I will only be downloading games on the new console, no disk changing that way. I hope the cloud thing is still there, so I can play my downloaded game at a friend's house. If not, this announcement sucks. I really looked forward to the changes of console gaming, maybe next time Microsoft

Symmetric-XBA
06-19-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm disappointed with the changes made by Microsoft today. I really liked the idea of not having to change disks, well that's gone now. I liked the being able to share games digitally with 10 friends, also gone. Well looks like the next console will be the same as the 360. I will only be downloading games on the new console, no disk changing that way. I hope the cloud thing is still there, so I can play my downloaded game at a friend's house. If not, this announcement sucks. I really looked forward to the changes of console gaming, maybe next time Microsoft

If you don't want to change discs you can still buy digital copies on launch day and through the b.s kinect you can vocally change your games given that the title will be dled to your hdd or the cloud. Personally speaking, changing the disc physically isn't going to be a deal breaker nor is the continuation of the sharing capabilities that we have lived with through the 360. I think this was a great move on MS's part to come to their senses, but why this couldn't be done at E3 this year just boggles my mind. My main problem is obv kinect. I don't care if there are 100 future versions until there becomes a reason to buy one. When I buy a system I look for the game(s) that, to me, justify owning a console either at launch or down the road and I have yet to see that facet with this new kinect. I would rather have $$$ taken off the price of the console and not have kinect than to force it down my throat. I feel that ms made steps in the right direction. Now just configure a non kinect version and ill be all smiles.

Variation-XBA
06-19-2013, 11:48 PM

Normally listening to consumers is a good thing. This is one of those times it was wrong to do so... Oh well. Hopefully the install/cloud thing and 'family' plan thing is added in the future.

Shawn-XBA
06-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Normally listening to consumers is a good thing. This is one of those times it was wrong to do so... Oh well. Hopefully the install/cloud thing and 'family' plan thing is added in the future.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really think they could have found a different way other than just scraping all those features. All they had to do was take away the 24hr thing when the disk was in the tray, that would have made everyone happy. Then give you a choice, do you want all digital or do you want the old way. Which ever one you choose would determine what features you ended up with. I hope they add this in the future.

Bakeman
07-05-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm thoroughly ticked off with MS over changing their minds because all the mindless morons that cried over this stuff.
We are missing out on WAY more now that we are staying back a generation instead of moving forward with technology.

Guilty Ghost
07-07-2013, 12:35 AM
To be honest, I think the PS4 fanboys nonscensically boasting about their console was already annoying enough then Microsoft technically fixed things (I thought the family plan thing was actually pretty cool except it was kinda stupid that only one person could play at once...even if it was "potentially stealing money). And now the PS4 fanboys and the pre-Xbox users that went to PS4 are just hanging on thin air about this subject now. At this point, I think they are actually making the Xbox community and even the Xbox One look good lol.

jerinbd445
09-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Usually hearing people is a superb matter. It is one particular periods it had been wrong for this... Also properly.