PDA

View Full Version : Rare Console ...?

fear_this
03-17-2002, 04:52 PM
I was browsing a search engine and I found this.

http://www.infoweek.cl/iw_sitio_h/num121/images/gamecube.jpg
There is the playstation 2, xbox , gamecube and some Nokia thing. I never heard of it or saw it. SO what the hell is it?

Xbox Owner
03-17-2002, 04:55 PM
I have NO clue!:D

if any1 can read spanish (well at least thats what i think it is) read this:

EE.UU. Una nueva guerra está a punto de comenzar, esta vez entre las consolas de juegos. Ya no se puede decir que este sea sólo un asunto de niños, pues esta guerra involucra a Sony, Nintendo y Microsoft.

El mercado esperó el año pasado con ansias el lanzamiento de las PlayStation 2, o PSX2, pero ahora las expectativas se cifran en la Xbox y la Gamecube, las cuales se plantean como una ardua competencia para la consola de Sony.

Con capacidades más propias de un PC, la Xbox puede mover 125 millones de polígonos por segundo, con un procesador Pentium III de 733 MHz y lector de DVD (Digital Video Disk). La consola ya cuenta con una lista de juegos que se puede obtener en su sitio Web, www.xbox.com, algunos de los cuales fueron desarrollados por empresas como Konami, con una larga trayectoria en los juegos de video y por la misma Microsoft.

http://www.infoweek.cl/iw_sitio_h/num121/titulares/destacados4.html

Calve
03-17-2002, 04:56 PM
WTF IS THAT!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??

MAN IF THATS A NEW SYSTEM THAT HAS MORE POWER THAN XBOX IM GONNA BE ****ED!!!!!!:mad:

JADE8704
03-17-2002, 05:01 PM
i have no idea...it looks like an answering machine though lol

hey fear_this! welcome back! i hope things are going better for you..:)

fear_this
03-17-2002, 05:03 PM
yeah whats up man. things are going a little better for me. He called me on monday. We talked and **** but i still dont trust him. Even though I cryed. :( Anyway, he said he would get me an xbox game for easter so its kick ass. Just dunno which one to get. Im gonna have my mom get my spy hunter... but what should I have my dad get me?:D

Kooster
03-17-2002, 05:15 PM
That little Nokia thing isn't a gaming console. I translated the Spanish at a translating website, and it just said that Nokia is coming into the market. I don't even know why they put that picture in w/ Xbox, PS2, and GC.

fear_this
03-17-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by hotshot657
That little Nokia thing isn't a gaming console. I translated the Spanish at a translating website, and it just said that Nokia is coming into the market. I don't even know why they put that picture in w/ Xbox, PS2, and GC.

That doesnt mean that that isnt a gaming console. I believe it is.

Kooster
03-17-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by fear_this

That doesnt mean that that isnt a gaming console. I believe it is. This is what the article translated to. It says nothing about a Nokia gaming console.

Consoles of game: The hard competition that is approached The Xbox and the Gamecube will try to dispute the market to him to PlayStation 2 during this Christmas. Both consoles have begun a true war by the preferences of the public, still before appearing in the market, to which now Nokia will be integrated. The U.S.A.. A new war is on the verge of beginning, this time between consoles of games. No longer it is possible to be said that this it is only a subject of children, because this war involves Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. The market waited for the year last with anxieties the launching of PlayStation 2, or PSX2, but now the expectations amount in the Xbox and the Gamecube, which consider like an arduous competition for the console of Sony. With own capacities of a PC, the Xbox it can move 125 million polygons per second, with a processor Pentium III of 733 MHz and reader of DVD (Digital Video Disk). The console already counts on a list of games that can be obtained in its Web site, www.xbox.com, some of which were developed by companies like Konami, with one long trajectory in the video games and by the same Microsoft.

Halo Perfect
03-17-2002, 05:54 PM
so what is it then?? why have that article bout nothing??

Hugh_Jass
03-17-2002, 07:23 PM
Relax. The Nokia console is not more powerful than the XBOX. It's more of a set top box that plays games.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/june01/mediaterminal/

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/june01/mediaterminal/1.jpg

Hugh_Jass
03-17-2002, 07:39 PM
Here is the official site:
http://www.nokia.com/multimedia/mediaterminal.html

OST Software Platform

Linux Operating System
Mozilla open source browser
HTML 4.0,CSS1,HTTP1.1,and JavaScript 1.5 compliant
Support for GIF, JPEG, PNG, MIDI, PDF and plug-ins,
e.g.Macromedia Flash
IP over MPEG (DVB standard)
IP Multicast and Unicast
SSL and TLS security protocols
IR and USB game pads support
Upgradeable software
DVB, ATVEF and MHP compliant
Support for USB-devices, e.g.printers
Support for 1394-devices, e.g.Digital Video cameras

Nokia Navi™ Bars User Interface

E-mail client: SMTP, POP3, NNTP protocols
Conditional Access
Parental Control
Upgradeable software

Hardware

Intel Celeron ® 566 Mhz CPU or faster
40 GB Hard Disk or more
64 MB system memory (SDRAM)
Full MPEG2 /DVB compatible engine
Integrated V.90 POTS modem
Nokia designed RC

Graphics and Video Processing
Accelerated 3D graphics
Graphics and video stream mixing
Per Pixel Alpha Blending
Special Effects
Programmable 2D scaling (1:64 arbitrary)
Advanced flicker filtering
Macrovision 7 compliant
PAL and NTSC encoding

Network Interfaces
DVB front-end tuner
Digital satellite, cable or terrestrial transmissions
Optional 2nd tuner
ISDN (optional)
Support for externel ADSL or Cable modem
10/100 Mbits Ethernet

Audio/Video Ouput Interfaces
Multi-standard connectors supporting composite video,
S-video or RGB SCART signals for TV set and VCR
2x RCA connectors (analogue audio L/R)
1x S/PDIF coaxial digital audio output

Multi-standard connectors supporting composite video
S-video or RGB
SCART signals for TV set and VCR
2x RCA connectors (analogue audio L/R)
1x S/PDIF coaxial digital audio output

External Interfaces
2x ISO 7816-3 smart card readers (for conditional access and e-commerce)
1x PCMCIA connector
2x USB connectors
2x IEEE 1394 connectors
1x RJ11 telephone connector (v.90 modem)
1x IR receiver (supporting RC-MM protocol)
1x RJ45 Ethernet interface (10/100 Base T)
1x Common interface port

Content Protection
Secure mechanism, using triple DES
encryption /decryption

Digital Video Recording (DVR)
Up to 9 hours of data storing capacity
depending on video bit-rate)

Dimensions
Width: 262 mm
Height: 104 mm
Depth: 314 mm

Frostberg
03-17-2002, 07:50 PM
I hate to say this Nokia thing will suck...but its as powerful as...well heres a clip...

Hardware and Operating System

Like Indrema, the Media Terminal uses an Intel chip, but this time, instead of a high-end one, Nokia has chosen to go with a 366 Celeron chip instead. Unfortunately, from the Website it is not clear what the sound or video capabilities are, but you can infer from the fact that Loki will be providing games for the system that the 3D graphics chip will be at least a TNT2 class chip. Also, the system will have 64 megs of system RAM and between 20 and 40 gigabytes of hard-drive space depending where you look on their Website. To run this "PC in a Box" type system, Nokia has also chosen to use Linux and is supporting several open source standards on the platform.

JADE8704
03-17-2002, 11:09 PM
hm..i've never heard of this "system" before...i bet it will make an appearance at E3:eek:

Hugh_Jass
03-18-2002, 07:55 AM
They say it has been deployed in Sweden, thus far. It may never come to North America. If it does, I doubt we'll see it before 2003.

DIGITAL
03-18-2002, 08:10 AM
its not a video game system ,its an entertainment hub,sort of like the rumored home station.its gonna cost a pretty penny.

JJaX
03-18-2002, 08:22 AM
Nokia should just make phones........

Hugh_Jass
03-18-2002, 11:35 AM
The cell phone market is pretty well saturated. They need to adopt new product lines in order to sustain growth.