PDA

View Full Version : Xbox CPU weak?

Andy182
08-30-2001, 06:39 PM
I have a lot of friendly arguements with people about console wars. They say that the Xbox's CPU is weaker than the GameCube's even though it is 700 something to 400 something. How is this possible? Everyone knows the Xbox is more powerful, but..anyway, please give me something to shut them up! lol:D

Xboxmaster2001
08-30-2001, 06:45 PM
ummmm ok gamecube sux:D

addict733
08-30-2001, 07:06 PM
hey guys we gota stop makin fun of gamecube. though it is kiddie it is better then ps2. i hate ps2 cause my bros friends are saying how great it is. when i showed them a screen of halo they said it was "touched up". down with ps2!!!

Aaron
08-31-2001, 03:08 AM
hey bro, this is a xbox page, we make fun of everything but xbox.

thedrisc
08-31-2001, 10:50 AM
it all about the GPU and xbox has the better one.

DOOM
08-31-2001, 11:08 AM
You got that rite,
Check out this GC & XBOX System Analisis:
http://www.segatech.com/technical/c...pare/index.html

X B O X Has it HANDS DOWN!!!!!!

dances with broom sticks
08-31-2001, 12:00 PM
ok... what is the gc gpu specs? IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE GPU SPECS R!!!!!!! xbox is all that matters! lol i am happy with the way the xbox looks and who cares if the gc COULD make better graphics, it WONT! they will make everythign look cartoon instead of real... so really the xbox beats it hands down

Koopa
08-31-2001, 12:10 PM
first of all.....no, not all the games are cartoony, although some are (Luigi's Mansion, Mario, Zelda), yet a cartoony game can still be impressive. Luigi's Mansion is a prime example of how a cartoony game can looks stunning with lots of lighting effects and stuff. Even toon shading such as in Zelda or Jet Set Radio can be nice looking.

xboxlover
08-31-2001, 12:12 PM
Well yes gamecube have a custom chip but their engineers must be crap if they had the chance to make a amazing chip but no they blew it and so we move to xbox it has a nividia thing and it is a well known name in the market and it beats the gc chip hands down.

Aaron
08-31-2001, 01:19 PM
Koopa, im not saying that cel shading isnt good for some games, but you HAVE to admit that Zelda isnt the game for that graphical method, miyamoto swift kicked himself in the ass on that move.

Koopa
08-31-2001, 01:27 PM
I'll admit that his decision was very unpopular, and I'm shocked and kinda ticked off at him, so yeah you're partly right. This is turning out to be the final straw for a lot of older gamers, so as of NOW, it could be classified as a "bad decision" I personally would have laughed a month ago at anyone who said Zelda should be cel shaded...but Miyamoto knows the business better than any of us do, and I'll show my respect for him and his work by not bashing Zelda till I see more in depth previews and reviews, and I get to try it myself.

Aaron
08-31-2001, 01:33 PM
see koopa how easy it is to admit that Nintendo is losing its grip?

Xboxmaster2001
08-31-2001, 02:34 PM
grip on what they never really had a grip nintendo sux

Koopa
08-31-2001, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Xboxmaster2001
grip on what they never really had a grip nintendo sux

ummm....have you ever heard of two little machines called NES and SNES? I guess not, because if you did you'd also know they in fact DID have a large grip of the console market. You're allowed to dislike a company, but you can't ignore facts.

Aaron
08-31-2001, 07:34 PM
koopas right... but i only really consider NES as their one sole successful console... NES kicked major ass

EIGamerzX
08-31-2001, 08:26 PM
I have a lot of friendly arguements with people about console wars. They say that the Xbox's CPU is weaker than the GameCube's even though it is 700 something to 400 something. How is this possible? Everyone knows the Xbox is more powerful, but..anyway, please give me something to shut them up! lol
the xbox's cpu is a modified p3 how much modified? we don't know so any arguement is pretty much crap. the cpu in gc is a power pc like a macintosh so the 400 is alot closer to the 700 in xbox than the numbers lead you to believe but the xbox is designed to be less cpu intensive so it doesn't need as powerful of a cpu, so the xbox still wins in this dept. but not by that much

Xboxmaster2001
08-31-2001, 08:52 PM
i agree with nes as a good system and snes was ok my bro posted that grip thing i told him to get his own username maybe he'll listen i hate when he uses my usernames just wanted to clear that up..:D

giddiup456
09-01-2001, 12:40 AM
why didnt they make link older in the new zelda game im sick of him wearing dipers and the new marion game lets run around with a piece of **** on my back and dodge the giant onions.Plz i hav a NES a SNES a gameboy and a 64 they were good yes (except 64) but stop livn in the past that was then this is now. Now is X-Box! Gamecube favours first party games to much and that will kill them. And sure Gamecube will have sum good games every system does but im tires of watching marion and all the other queers onscreen i want to see some Normandy beach action wooo (MOHAA)

Koopa
09-01-2001, 11:12 AM
I can reasonably assume that saying all you do in the new mario is "run around with a piece of **** on your back" could be compared to the statement "all you do in HALO is shoot people." The game's creator specifically stated that there purposefully was not alot of gameplay-related information shown to keep it secret (which is a bad idea, IMO....but thats another topic)

Dr_J
09-01-2001, 03:04 PM
NES and SNES?

You need to stop living in the past, little one.

StrikerObi
09-01-2001, 08:27 PM
Back on topic, yes the GameCube's CPU is more powerful. This is because the Xbox has a CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computer) processor and the GameCube has a RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) processor. Now, here is the difference. With CISC processors instructions going to the CPU are of varrying legnth, with a RISC processor they are all the same legnth. Instrustions are broken down so that they are handled in parts, and each part is the same legnth. I'm pretty sure RISC always breaks instructions down into 1 operation, but I might be wrong. Here's a very basic example

CISC:
equation 1: 5 + 4 - 3 = 6
equation 2: 2 + 3 + 7 - 4 = 8

RISC:
equation 1: 5 + 4 = 9 | 9 - 3 = 6
equation 2: 2 + 3 = 5 | 5+ 7 = 12 | 12 - 4 = 8

Now, it may seem that CISC gets it done faster but it doesn't. Because of the reduced instructions in RISC, the processor can preform operations faster. About 1.75 times faster than a CISC processor. So the GameCube's 485 Mhz RISC processor is about as fast as a 848.75 Mhz CISC processor.

Of course, all of this is pretty much pointless. The two systems are so different it's 100% impossible to compare them to each other, ESPICALLY with stats. What it really comes down to is that they are about equal in preformance. Just take a look at the screenshots. They look really similar. Unlike the PS2, where the graphics are noticeably not as good.

Aaron
09-01-2001, 10:26 PM
xbox does outpreform by a small margin. it was confirmed by someone

Rancey
09-01-2001, 11:17 PM
By the way that gc CPU is only 405mhz, so even if it is 1.75 times as powerful as that it is 708.75mhz, still lower than the 733mhz Xbox CPU :D

Marc
09-01-2001, 11:37 PM
Nintendo has been suckin hind tit since the Sega Genesis came out.

addict733
09-01-2001, 11:43 PM
not to be a nintendo lover but nintendo has been doing very well. 64was very good unitl ps2. if xbox wasnt around i wouldnt be surpirsed if gamecube would do better then ps2.

Aaron
09-02-2001, 01:30 PM
actually, n64 was classified a failure in japan, and is also the reason that nintendo rushed GBA to the market to make em some money to make the gamecube

StrikerObi
09-03-2001, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by rancey
By the way that gc CPU is only 405mhz, so even if it is 1.75 times as powerful as that it is 708.75mhz, still lower than the 733mhz Xbox CPU :D

Keep up to date. The specs were changed right around the time before E3. The main processor was pumped up and the graphics processor was slightly weakened.

Jade
09-03-2001, 08:53 PM
Even if the CPU's are closley matched (with GC leading) what about the other specs, the CPU isn't the only thing that makes a console a success.

StrikerObi
09-03-2001, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Jade
Even if the CPU's are closley matched (with GC leading) what about the other specs, the CPU isn't the only thing that makes a console a success.

This is 100% correct. In reality, specs mean nothing. People on the street don't care about specs. What matters in the games. Good games sell a system. So, both systems will probalby do quite well. They both have a good ammout of great looking games. Though in my opinion, the GameCube has more. Which is why I'll be getting on. If I see something on the Xbox that really compels me to get it, I may just. But as it stands I trust Nintendo becuase they have never dissapointed me in the past.

Jade
09-03-2001, 08:59 PM
Well I'm glad we could come to an agreement StrikerObi. :)

Aaron
09-03-2001, 09:14 PM
Yeah, i care about specs, look at the GC's RAM, 48 megs??? what the hell kinda number is that? Xbox has 64 megs of DDR ram, xbox wins that, 233mhz gpu beats the GC, all the processor does is process all the AI instructions and various others, the GPU is where the xbox kicks the GC in the ass

StrikerObi
09-03-2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by FuNiOnZ
Yeah, i care about specs, look at the GC's RAM, 48 megs??? what the hell kinda number is that? Xbox has 64 megs of DDR ram, xbox wins that, 233mhz gpu beats the GC, all the processor does is process all the AI instructions and various others, the GPU is where the xbox kicks the GC in the ass

Again with the pointless spec arguments. If you knew anything about the technology behind the RAM you wouldn't be saying that. The GameCube's graphics RAM is a special 1 tranistor embedded ram. The 1 transistor makes it run really cool so it can run faster. And since it's embedded to the motherboard there is a much reduced latency. Also, the Xbox's ram is shared throughout the system. With the GameCube, RAM is set aside so that only certain parts of the system can use certain RAM, this reduces bottle necks and increaes preformance.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Xbox's harddrive will be used for a virtual ram "swap file" which is just the most awful thing ever as anyone who knows about the inner workings of computers will tell you.

Aaron
09-03-2001, 09:25 PM
Again with the pointless spec arguments

You only say its pointless cause the GC loses that battle

The GameCube's graphics RAM is a special 1 tranistor embedded ram. The 1 transistor makes it run really cool so it can run faster. And since it's embedded to the motherboard there is a much reduced latency.

Doesnt this fall under YOUR VERY OWN pointless spec arguement?

Also, I'm pretty sure the Xbox's harddrive will be used for a virtual ram "swap file" which is just the most awful thing ever as anyone who knows about the inner workings of computers will tell you.

And if you knew anything, xbox isnt a pc. the HD is for faster game loading, game saves and updates. A swap file is a technique used by PC's and the like. The xbox doesnt need a virtual RAM swap file, it has 64 megs which is plenty, unlike 48 megs.

Jade
09-03-2001, 09:26 PM
The raw specs is what makes the system, do you think that Bill Gates pulled a big black box out of his ass one night and just decided to call it the Xbox and sell it to people, no. That's why I care about the specs because that is what makes the system work, and there for having better spec means you have a better system.

The only reason you are saying that specs don't matter is because the GC's specs suck compared to the Xbox's

StrikerObi
09-03-2001, 09:30 PM
I'm sorry but the Xbox is a PC. It is a PC 100% specifically designed for gaming. It has an Intel x86 based processor. That is the definition of the word PC. Macs run on powerPC processors. "PC"s run on the x86 arthiceture. PC does not mean "computer" or "machine that runs Windows." It means a computer that is running on a processor based on the Intel deisnged x86 arthiceture. ALL of these gaming systems (GameCube, PS2, Xbox) are computers.

Aaron
09-03-2001, 09:34 PM
yet another error Obi, you need to fact check man

personal computer
n. Abbr. PC
A computer built around a microprocessor for use by an individual, as in an office or at home or school.

In that definition, your beloved gaycube is a PC. It is capable of using the very same Swap File.

www.dictionary.com

Live it, Love it, USE it

StrikerObi
09-03-2001, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by FuNiOnZ
It is capable of using the very same Swap File.

Except not because it doesn't have a hard drive. Also, I don't care if it's a PC or not. All I care about is that I'm going to have fun playing my Nintendo games. I suggest you stop trying to pick a fight and think about what matters. The fact that you will have fun playing your Xbox regardless of what I or anyone else says.

Mothumos
09-03-2001, 09:40 PM
I don't want to get technical so to make a long story short;

Xbox=The Best Technological Console on the planet

Gamecube=A piece of **** with a handle.

Aaron
09-03-2001, 09:41 PM
pick a fight? me? neverrrrrrrrrrr...... but seriously, did you have to run your mouth in this thread? nopers. Didnt ask or need your input, so if you dont like our replies, too bad. Oh and you forgot one thing, incase you missed it, here it is again

www.dictionary.com

Live it, Love it, USE it

Jade
09-03-2001, 09:42 PM
So now you're going to chicken out since FuNiOnZ proved you wrong... wussy.

Aaron
09-03-2001, 09:47 PM
now see, this is my kind of girl, from now on, anyone messes with her, you gotta go through me! :D

Jade
09-03-2001, 09:56 PM
(starts to blush) Thanx FuNiOnZ...:)

Aaron
09-03-2001, 09:57 PM
Np, even though it looks like you can handle yourself... you kicked his ass lol

Jade
09-03-2001, 10:03 PM
I may not know as much technical stuff as he does, but I can tell when he's contradicting himself...which he seems to do a lot. Well, I gotta call it a night, gotta get up early, take care of buisness for me FuNiOnZ, I'll check the boards in the moaring. good night.

Aaron
09-03-2001, 10:27 PM
Good night and take care

Severe_Tire_Damage
09-03-2001, 11:05 PM
Xbox technology is like pizza. Its great. Um...yeah....Im finished....

Rancey
09-04-2001, 01:44 AM
StrikerObi> Sorry about that, I have no need to research the gc seeing as I think it blows. Other than this the Xbox has all the specs, and the Xbox isn't as CPU reliant so that point is arguable. As far as good looking gc games go I don't like the look of them which is why I think nintendo blows :D

Aaron
09-04-2001, 04:10 AM
Why was this thread started again?

Rancey
09-04-2001, 05:15 AM
Short-term memory loss.

Aaron
09-04-2001, 01:08 PM
Ah i see.... what were we talking about again? :D