PDA

View Full Version : Geforce4 a threat to xbox!!!

NomadLLama
03-18-2002, 09:46 PM
hey y'all. i just read the preview for the Geforce4 in maximumPC the april issue. i saw the grafix for it and they look sweet! but the thing is that it will be a sure threat to the xbox. any of u guys have a geforce4 tell me how it is. they say that it is better than xbox, but anyways, who will really pay 400 bucks for a frickin card, when u can just shell out 300 for an xbox with similar grafix? anyways, i don't think that anyone can use the Geforce3, 4 or the NV2x (xbox) to their fullest extent. but tell me what y'all think.

Romo28
03-18-2002, 09:51 PM
NVidia makes Xbox's grafics card, so it would make sense that the newest NVidia eddition would beat it. Besides, Xbox doesnt need to compete with the new grafics card for computers, it's not a computer, its a video game system. It only has to compete with other video game systems.

Piccolo_DBz
03-18-2002, 09:54 PM
Yeah, The Xbox doesn't need to worry about Geforce 4, Thats in it's own league. Pc Gamers and Console gamers are like Fruits and vegtables. hehe

Frostberg
03-18-2002, 10:09 PM
I hope you didnt think the Xboxes Video card was suppost to be the most powerful in 5 years, when Xbox is still the champ...PC Video cards are entirely different...just because they squeeze out a few more megahertz out of the video card doesnt mean we are all doomed...it will be years before any PC developer gets something that has the whole power of the GF4...and did you know nVidia comes out with a better chipset every 6 months? That means that by the time they get the full power of the current GF4, there will already be a GF4 Ti500 plus 2 extreme or something...there will be 4 more and better cards nVidia releases before they ever get the full power of our GF4...yeah so basically what Im sayin about the XBox is that games will still contunue to look better and better and better through time, without changing graphics cards, but by the developer polishing a game to work more and more with the one and only video card of the Xbox...

tech
03-19-2002, 12:23 AM
Yeah just spend $300 plus bucks for the video card and what else do you need? More money? I wouldn't worry. My Geforce 3 card in my computer doesn't compete with my xbox.

Hugh_Jass
03-19-2002, 08:38 AM
By the time developers get the full power out of the XBOX GPU we'll have the XBOX2 right around the corner, which will probably contain the GeForce8 or something.

Exatox
03-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Even though the Xbox card has 2 vertex shaders and the Geforce 4 has 3 vertex shaders, graphics on the box often look better, because on PC, backwards capability has to be taken into account.

Batman2372
03-19-2002, 09:22 AM
Can you honestly say you can tell a big difference between a Geforce3 and 4 cards? Barely, if any. And in future releases, the distinction is probably only going to get harder.

darianX
03-19-2002, 10:43 AM
Right now, there is no difference except in benchmarks and framerate using FSAA. In otherwords, if you want to spend $400+ on a video card whose features you really won't even begin to see in games until 2003-2004, go right ahead. Just now developers are beginning to use the Geforce3 pixel shaders and that other DirectX 8 stuff.

Maximum PC has a nasty habit lately of comparing the Xbox to PCs, and it's not right. 2 completely different animals. I think they're in a huff because they know that Xbox games will take advantage of that Geforce3 chip long before PC games do. You see, developers can't ignore the large percentage of gamers who don't own GF3 and above cards. If they code a game using that stuff, most PC gamers won't see a bit of difference, so why bother? It will be years until GF3 games are standard on the PC, and NOW for the Xbox. Why now for our beloved box? Because the developers know exactly what hardware they are writing for, and that includes a GF3 graphics chip and DirectX 8. That's why all these power PC mags are raggin' on the Xbox.

I bought an Xbox so I could stop the upgrade madness..and I'm so glad I did! :)

l Maximus l
03-19-2002, 10:50 AM
The current games for the XBox don't even come close to maximizing the nVidia graphics card as is since they are still first generation XBox games. Second generation XBox games will start utilizing the graphics card to a fuller capacity....so, we've only scratched the surface.

By the time PC Game developers actually make games that support the GeForce4, XBox2 will be out with something more powerful. That's my prediction anyway :)

Hugh_Jass
03-19-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by darianX

I bought an Xbox so I could stop the upgrade madness..and I'm so glad I did! :)

You and me both.

LynxFX
03-19-2002, 11:32 AM
That makes three of us. Still just got a Geforce256 in one machine and a Radeon VE in another. I'll get a new card eventually, probably when the next cycle of nVidia cards come this fall. Then I'll get the GF4.