PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard for the Box.. If this is old new to you then don't click

egg
03-19-2002, 12:35 AM
For all the people who cried about playing a FPS with a 2 joystick controller that makes playing FPS on Xbox simple and fun (gasp), it looks like your crys have been answered thanks to Interact. They are planning to release a keyboard labeled "The SharkBoard" for Xbox this July that will work with any Xbox game that supports the keyboard feature (which means none of the current ones will, but many of the big games coming out such as Unreal Championship should). Interact has also revealed that they will release a version of GameShark for Xbox. In any case, this should make a lot of people happy and provide more gaming options for gamers and developers alike. There's been no news on a mouse for Xbox as of yet, but with a keyboard already in the works there is a 98% chance a mouse of some sort is planned too. Here is the first pic of the "SharkBoard" and a features list.

LynxFX
03-19-2002, 12:38 AM
Now this is something new Egg.

Very cool news, but do you have a link and some info. The picture could be any keyboard. There is nothing to signify that it is for the Xbox. Please a link.

egg
03-19-2002, 01:18 AM
[QUOTE]Now this is something new Egg.

Is it... Or maybe its just on page 4... haha :D anyway Take this how you want ! Is it a joke...are they full of $hit...You decide..Me? Like any other news, I am just going to chill till I see it in my hands.....Here you go bro! If your an a$$ then click me!! (http://www.xboxexclusive.com/news.shtml#newsitem1016517756,68191,)
(UPDATE)
And another..Just found this link from another forum....CLICK>>>>>> (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=801385)

LynxFX
03-19-2002, 01:33 AM
Nah I would have seen it before it got to page 4. ;)

Thanks for the link. I'm worried about this one though especially after this quote that you showed.

"The SharkBoard" for Xbox this July that will work with any Xbox game that supports the keyboard feature (which means none of the current ones will, but many of the big games coming out such as Unreal Championship should).
They have to support it? Unreal Championship should? So nothing is definate. No indication of who is supporting this new device.

I personally would like a keypad and mouse. That is all you need. Not the entire keyboard, just 16 keys 4x4 grid. They actually make one of these for the PC with a USB connection. I don't see why they can't port that over to Xbox.

egg
03-19-2002, 01:38 AM
They have to support it? Unreal Championship should? So nothing is definate. No indication of who is supporting this new device.

Yep.. I thought the same thing when I read it.... the only thing we can do is wait and see......

Dre
03-19-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Nah I would have seen it before it got to page 4. ;)

Thanks for the link. I'm worried about this one though especially after this quote that you showed.

I personally would like a keypad and mouse. That is all you need. Not the entire keyboard, just 16 keys 4x4 grid. They actually make one of these for the PC with a USB connection. I don't see why they can't port that over to Xbox.

I'd also like to see it in some kind of format that makes it playable on a couch. I don't know about you guys, but I don't wanna have to balance it on my lap or sit on the floor all the time in front of a coffee table..

I think it would take something/someone very innovative for me to shell out $$ to buy this. Plus, you also have to think though, for online gaming, will a setup such as this provide an advantage for people? If so, its not all that fun, because everyone will have to buy it just to stay competitive. Oh well...

Hugh_Jass
03-19-2002, 09:25 AM
I don't think we can assume that XBOX games don't support keyboard input. The XBOX might not be showing you the option because you don't have a keyboard attached. It could be similar to the new video modes that appear when you use the HD AV Pack.

Exatox
03-19-2002, 09:29 AM
Personally, I see no difference between the keyboard and a controller. MAny people use wsad or the arrows for move and strafe, and mouse for turn and look, while they do the same thing with the xbox analog sticks.

However, it is nice to have ALL of your buttons within easy range and have one finger on every move key. It makes for slightly improved reactions.

yall
03-19-2002, 09:33 AM
using a mouse for turning and looking beats the pants off an analog stick

Batman2372
03-19-2002, 09:36 AM
I don't see where you're getting the idea that future games WILL be written with Keyboard support. Why would Microsoft (who as of now has said they are AT THIS MOMENT steering away from a keyboard interface for the Xbox) incorporate something into their game that they're not even supporting.

This seems more like a wish than an actual event. No where has it been mentioned that UC will have keyboard support. This isn't a port of the PC version, which is a much different (doesn't even have the same name) version.

That being said, would I like a keyboard solution? Yes. But I'm not holding my breath for it.

LynxFX
03-19-2002, 12:12 PM
I think they should forgo the idea of bringing an actual keyboard (which this thing looks like it is) and just bring a gaming 'keyboard' to the Xbox. One that doesn't have letters or numbers. Just a grid with assignable keys. This would make it smaller for one thing. Easy to add a curved piece or pad to the bottom to allow it to fit on your thigh for comfort instead of leaning over like someone mentioned earlier. Heck they could get creative and make it attatch to your hand. Make the keys curve in like some of those really fance ergo keyboards. Not hard to do. Add in the mouse and you are set.

Now MS can still say they don't have a keyboard but us gamers get the best setup for a FPS game as well as other games like RTS.

Damn I should design and patent this thing. I bet I could easily sell one to at least half the xbox owners out there.