PDA

View Full Version : Official GunValkyrie Thread

MOlsen
03-19-2002, 08:26 AM
I got a chance to play with the Gun Valkary (sp?) demo last night at Best Buy. It is pretty cool folks. The camera is a little goofy, but otherwise it is a really nice game. Smilebit strikes again!!

Batman2372
03-19-2002, 09:50 AM
I've taken a look at it, and while yes, it's pretty, I don't think I'm going to get it now. It looks as though it would get old pretty quick. Too much like other games.

studepaber
03-19-2002, 11:56 AM
Has anybody happened to get their hands on this title yet???? I'm highly excited about this one, I doubt Sega will let us down. Mine comes in tomorrow at EB but I'd like to know peoples' impressions of the game if they happen to have it.

MOlsen
03-19-2002, 02:10 PM
I played it on a demo at Best Buy last night for about 30 minutes. I loved it, and will buy it immediately. The controls are a little quirky, so be prepared to do a little bit of work to get used to it, particularly the camera. The graphics are good, but that is not what I liked. I liked the "fun-factor" ... it just rocks. Enjoy!

wweomaniac
03-19-2002, 03:47 PM
I put up a thread asking people if they would buy it. most people said no, and now the thread is gone.

I have been waiting for this game for the longest time. Its been more than two months of waiting and now its finally here. I will buy it on friday (if it isn't sold out). Then attend an XBOX party.

Afro Aura
03-19-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by MOlsen
I played it on a demo at Best Buy last night for about 30 minutes. I loved it, and will buy it immediately. The controls are a little quirky, so be prepared to do a little bit of work to get used to it, particularly the camera. The graphics are good, but that is not what I liked. I liked the "fun-factor" ... it just rocks. Enjoy!
Dude I'm looking to buy this game but in all the reviews they keep going on about the controls for the character
Tell me is it like flying a bansee in Halo or if not can you give me some sort of idea how the controls work ie right trigger for shooting, left trigger to use jet pack etc, etc

ShannonX
03-19-2002, 09:19 PM
Just curious, does it have any sort of multiplayer ability? If so, what kinds.

xboxman_1
03-19-2002, 09:42 PM
I don't think it has multi-play. I think you have to push one of the contro, sticks in to jet pack, and that one of the gripes, cause you have to do it so many times you think your gonna break you thumb in half.

VAN
03-20-2002, 02:32 PM
The May OXM Demo Disc contains a decent playable demo of GV. I played it repeatedly, and while the controls are quite difficult to adjust to, I still think I'm gonna purchase the game.

DZNUTZ
03-20-2002, 04:39 PM
anyone else notice that gamepro thrashed this game and ign gave it an award? hey i'm all for various reviewers and opinions as the next guy, i mean we all wouldnt' want to follow one person/companies opinion blindly. BUT for JEBUS sakes...their in the same field...how can their ( gamereviewers) vary so drasticly?

l Maximus l
03-20-2002, 04:44 PM
Well, it beats me! Hmm...well, it must be one of those games that a person will either love it or hate it...Though, I'm not sure :confused:

To be on the safe side, I would recommend renting it first to see if you like it before you buy it. I saw some streaming video of this game and it didn't look all that great to me...but, of course, streaming video is a bad way to judge a game...to truly judge it, one has to play it. I may rent it to see how I like it. :)

wweomaniac
03-20-2002, 04:49 PM
Yes I understand. Gamers.com gave Gunvaklyrie a 5.0/10, while IGn and OXM gave it 9+/10.

For some reason, this game is acheiving very diverse ratings from one reviewer to another. For one reason, it may be because of the difficult controls. Some reviewers may focus more on that, and miss the point of the game more. However, I think its these controls that are making these reviewers frustrated. Its only been one day since the game came out, so I don't think the reviewers have gotten enough time to adapt to the controls. therefore making the game frustrating. I'm sure that after a few more hours, they would appreciate the game more.

I understand that the ign/oxm reviewers spent many, many hours on the game considering some of the levels they've acheived.

The only review you should consider is your own. If you like the game... then thats your opinion. No one else should be able to change it.

wweomaniac
03-20-2002, 04:51 PM
BTW, you may already know that I have been anticipating this game for many months now. I won't be renting it, I'll be buying it on Friday since I'm busy all week. I will sure let my opinions be heard after I played this game.

DZNUTZ
03-20-2002, 05:01 PM
yea that really is the way to go maximus..thankfully though..my girl manages a Blockbuster..so i get free rentals up the ying yang..and movies before their publicly released. i guess i titled the thread incorreclty...i was more addressing the extreme differences in different companies game reviews more so of the scores the game actually recieved.

Quest
03-21-2002, 07:48 AM
I purchased the game yesterday...and yes the controls have a learning curve...but once u understand and record in ur mind how they work...the game is incredibly rewarding both gameplay wise and graphically. This is one of the best looking titles on Xbox. If u like Space Harrier...Staship troopers and Panzer Dragoon...as I do...U'll love this title with all of its graphic goodness...and upscale gameplay.

MOlsen
03-21-2002, 03:28 PM
Afro Aura,

Left trigger boosts you up, right trigger shoots. Left thumbstick controls your direction. Push down on the analog (left) stick to boost in a given direction. Right thumbstick controls your view (up, middle, down) in the demo, one of the reviews said it also controls your arm and aim.

Some of the reviewers didn't even figure out how to turn around and look immediately behind you. The solution is easy, it is in the left thumbstick.

I think somebody already commented on the divergent opinions ... I have to agree. I think to a large part it probably has to do with a) how long the reviewer played before writing and b) how dexterous the reviewer was.

The graphics are great, don't get me wrong, but the best part is the fun. Not everybody defines fun the same way ... I guess that is another reason why the scores are so wildly different.

Afro Aura
03-21-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by MOlsen
Afro Aura,

Left trigger boosts you up, right trigger shoots. Left thumbstick controls your direction. Push down on the analog (left) stick to boost in a given direction. Right thumbstick controls your view (up, middle, down) in the demo, one of the reviews said it also controls your arm and aim.

Some of the reviewers didn't even figure out how to turn around and look immediately behind you. The solution is easy, it is in the left thumbstick.

Thanks for getting back mate as I'm in the UK I'd like to know what the game was like before I buy it as I've got a US XBOX over here (and a PAL one too)

Torak
03-21-2002, 06:39 PM
I swear, the people who are making these horrible reviews must be either 7 years old and the controls are just far too complex for them, or they suffer from ADD.

There IS a very steep learning curve on the controls, but come the 2nd mission (after you mess around on the first playing around with boosts and the drive gun), you learn how to control the boost/hover dynamic. Hell, if people would read the MANUAL they'd could basically see that all of the boosting/movement is just on that left stick. It has nothing to do with the right. Another thing that's screwing with people, one of which my brother who played hours of HALO, is that they're assuming that the right stick is turn left/right. All the right stick does is fine tune your aim in the 180 FOV that you'd have if you were just looking straight ahead. Reviewers, and players alike, need to break themselves of the move with left/turn with right control schemes from before. GV needs to be approached as a DIFFERENT kind of game, because it very much is. Once you learn how to hover over long distances (boost straight up with L trigger, boost forward with pressed left thumbstick, and then pull back on the left thumbstick) then you can get to those far ledges, or take out hordes and hordes of beasties while they're under you.

Sure the learning curve is high, and that'll push some people away, but those people are gonna be missing out. Good things come to those who wait, and once you learn how to actually control everything properly (after about 2-3 hours gametime, I'd say) the GV becomes something altogether different. It's not the game that ****ed you off because you didn't know how to boost properly, it's the game that 0wnz because you finally know how to. I've only suffered ONE framerate hit (which wasn't even that harsh), and that was when I was sitting in the BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT of the first "boss"es head upper area while I plowed him with the drive gun. Aside from that I've boosted through swarms of crawlies, hovered in air jets while flying beasties dive bombed me, and flown through the LSD devised Naglfar's Pit.

The game is gorgeous, and it plays like a dream once you get the controls down. Think of it this way: You didn't quit SF2 when you couldn't quite pull off a fireball over and over and over, or that sonic boom, or the spinning piledriver. Yet you kept on going on, and SF2's one of our favorite games of all time (don't lie, you know you played it :P). GV just takes practice, and it's beauty and great gameplay reward you in the end for hanging around.

Afro Aura
03-21-2002, 10:54 PM
Welcome Torak glad you can join us
and thanks with the update on GV I'm a bit worried about the learning curve, but I'll give this game a go and the part about SF the only player I could play was Ken, I was rubbish with anyone else just couldn't get the super piledriver sorted so thats why I'm a little worried

but as you say it's a different sort of game with a different sort of angle I'll give it a chance

See ya mate

Torak
03-21-2002, 11:46 PM
Wow, thanks for the welcome Afro! I've never gotten a nod on a random forum where I just pop in, so that was definitely a welcome change!

As for the SF analogy, the reason I pop that in is because there are variables in GV that aren't exactly defined. There are 3 "gems" of a sort in the save game menu which are supposed to light up as you do things.

But they don't tell you what they are or what they're supposed to do. :|

Also, there's the rating system. Apparently the better you pass a level (time/technique/kills/etc.) you get rated for it. I'm guessing a perfect rating for all levels may be one of those gems, but who knows just yet. Game's too new!

I used the SF analogy because I was one of those people who was determined to learn every single character to perfection, or as close as I could get to it. Same with GV, in a way. Practice makes perfect!

Anyway, I highly suggest checking this game out. I'd gladly plunk down another $50 to give it to someone, if someone's birthday was around or something. :D And I don't give people JACK! ;)

Afro Aura
03-22-2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Torak
Anyway, I highly suggest checking this game out. I'd gladly plunk down another $50 to give it to someone, if someone's birthday was around or something. :D And I don't give people JACK! ;)
Now that part about the birthday time :) it's my birthday today, right then mate I'm here waiting for my copy of the game hehehehe

Nar not to worry mate I'll get it when it's over here but thanks for the offer

See ya :D

Ninja Scroll
03-22-2002, 09:44 AM
I am vastly overdue for a new Xbox game, so I was planning on copping one up this weekend.
Well im a big Sega loyalist so I wanted to support them by getting Gun Valkyrie, well I just came from gamespot and they bashed the game so bad that im having second thoughts!:confused: :eek: :confused:

Has anyone played or rented the game yet?
It looks tight, but im not gonna just avoid the game because of a review from da Spot.
I wanna hear from my fellow addict comrades!:)

Nato King
03-22-2002, 09:56 AM
Hey Ninja I can't really say if this game suck or not because I have not rented this game yet. All I know about this game is that you Showcasing alien hostility, heavy artillery, and cutting edge genetic technology, Gunvalkyrie blends intense action with stunning visuals as you explore a terrifying world, exterminating an aggressive alien species.

I will rent this game real soon so I can tell you guys about it because I have seen more than one thread about this game.
:) :)

Ninja Scroll
03-22-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Serg_w
Hey Ninja I can't really say if this game suck or not because I have not rented this game yet. All I know about this game is that you Showcasing alien hostility, heavy artillery, and cutting edge genetic technology, Gunvalkyrie blends intense action with stunning visuals as you explore a terrifying world, exterminating an aggressive alien species.

I will rent this game real soon so I can tell you guys about it because I have seen more than one thread about this game.
:) :)

Yeah, I read about what the games all about, here's the link where gamespot flamed da mess outta Sega's Gun Valkyrie in their review!
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,475252,00.html

Shadow Fox
03-22-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

Yeah, I read about what the games all about, here's the link where gamespot flamed da mess outta Sega's Gun Valkyrie in their review!
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,475252,00.html And this is why you shouldn't go soley by reviews...

IMO, GunValkyrie is an EXCELLENT game. The four stages I've played showcased awsome graphics (cool water effects, gunfire, gadgets), and nonlinear, ununiform gameplay.

The only quirk I've had with this game is the primary control setup. Looking around often means pressing L2 (the thumbstick button), so you'll accidentally blast forward. After awhile, it becomes second nature, and is no longer an issue.

Also keep in mind that IGN rated GV pretty high; so I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. GV is Xbox's answer to Metroid Prime, and I think it's a pretty close rival so far...

In other words, rent the game at least; I'm sure you'll like it.

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Shoua
03-22-2002, 10:55 AM
Well i bought this game after work last night i slowly unwrapped it from its package and put the disc in my box. I think all the reviewers who said that the controls are hard can go pound sand , sure they aren't simplistic, but i found them easy to adapt to. I'm not pulling of moves like in the demos yet but i am learning pretty quickly. If i had any gripes about the controls it would be that when u want to look up you gotta pull down and when you look down u gotta pull up, I guess that is inverted controls. The graphics are really good to nice textures and a nice green blood when blast away some alien scum. For each level you complete you get money and you can upgrade yer weapons, armor and u can buy extra shields and stuff like that. I think if you like this kinda genre of games you will like this game for sure. I would rate this game in total like 9.0/10

Xbox Owner
03-22-2002, 10:55 AM
Don't TRUST gamespot:mad:

Nato King
03-22-2002, 11:01 AM
If you go to the main page and look at Current Features it says that this game will be on the next OXM demo disc.

Heres a link to it:
http://www.xboxaddict.com/oxm/May_2002/

l Maximus l
03-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Wow...From what I have read here from Shadow Fox and Shoua, it seems to me that it is atleast worth renting! I was planning on completely passing this up, however, I will consider checking this game out more in depth. Thanks, gentlemen!

Toder
03-22-2002, 11:09 AM
From what i've read so far about the game seems to get my interest pretty up for the game. Go check out IGNs review fro the game they gave it a 9.0 overall and it was pretty good review too. But my main problem about games is that the ones i really want to play Blockbuster doesn't have so my next impulse is to go out and buy them. Which so far hasn't been a bad experience (JSRF and Rallisport). But also i've talked to MEC since he has the game and he recommended renting first, Bsut my excitment level is up so high for the game i think i'm just gonna go ahead and buy it.

Shadow Fox
03-22-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
Wow...From what I have read here from Shadow Fox and Shoua, it seems to me that it is atleast worth renting! I was planning on completely passing this up, however, I will consider checking this game out more in depth. Thanks, gentlemen! Yeah, I think GV will end up being a sleeper hit for Xbox this year...

Is JSRF selling any better here in the US? Last I heard it wasn't doing so good, and I like the hell out of this title. I'll have to buy it and GV when I get the cheese to spend in a few weeks...;)

Chr0nik
03-22-2002, 11:19 AM
I think if it does not have a PS2 label on the case, then it will always have a hard time over at gamesot, rent the sucker and judge it for yourself.

Spaztic
03-22-2002, 11:44 AM
I haven't played this game but it is a platform jumping based game! And I hate those type of games so I won't even waste my time and money renting it. I am going to save my money for something that is worth my while. Games that you have to jump from platform to platform are annoying and are the reason I break controllers. Gamespot said this is the type of game where you make one misjump and you lose 10 minutes and have to go back to jumping on all the narrow platforms again. It also stated that the controls could have been better, and the enviroments are repetitive, the enemies are all insect based and also repetitive. I am perfectly content on playing JSRF (beginning to hate this game) and Rallisport Challange (can't put the game down!) till some innovative and origional games come out. And thats my 2 cents!

Shadow Fox where the hell you been? Welcome back!

Shadow Fox
03-22-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls
Shadow Fox where the hell you been? Welcome back! I've been at Nintendose.net, and the Xbox vs GameCube Debate Area periodically. That's where I belong anyway, since it's the only reason I ever signed up here, so I figured that's where I need to post more often.

And I wouldn't count GV out just yet if I were you; just play the game once- I once felt the same way about the game as you did...

Spaztic
03-22-2002, 12:34 PM
well since hollywood video is having .99 rentals on games for the month of april I will give it a try! Still kinda skeptical!

GokuX
03-22-2002, 12:59 PM
It got an 8.2 as the average out of 352 reader reviews so it can't be that bad. Look through the reader review title messages and I think U'll get an idea.

darianX
03-22-2002, 01:32 PM
Gunvalkyrie is most definately a cool game. Smilebit seems to be great at taking a simple concept and making it d@mn cool. Strip the game down to basics, you have a 3rd person action/platform game. But it's WAY more than that. The jet pack really adds another dimension to it - more often than not, you have to be in the air to avoid being swarmed and to kill those nasty critters. Being in the air requires some slick maneuvers, which I haven't come close to perfecting yet, but getting better. The storyline is pretty interesting too. Don't be afraid to at least rent it...better yet buy it :) to show your support for Sega and Smilebit.

Plewis
03-22-2002, 01:43 PM
Is it like a megaman kinda game? I always did love my megaman:p

l Maximus l
03-22-2002, 01:59 PM
I just watched some streaming video of it at Gamespot.com...and, it actually looks much more impressive than it did a couple months ago. I'll atleast rent it to see what I think :)

JADE8704
03-22-2002, 03:16 PM
i saw an xbox kiosk that had gunvalkyrie playing...but a little kid was playing it with his brother...they knew i wanted to try the game out, but noooOo, they decided to keep playing the 2 hours i was in there...so then i just left...punk little kids:(

i still have mixed feelings about this game...i heard that the learning curve was about an hour and a half..about the same as RAW...has anyone in here bought the game yet?? what do you think of it?

JimmieDoogan
03-22-2002, 05:21 PM
The mere fact that no one has bought it (due to skepticism) has made me skeptical. I fear this game now, and I do not rent so I guess I'll wait til I get the newest Demo Disk and spend some time on it.

SciFi
03-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls
well since hollywood video is having .99 rentals on games for the month of april I will give it a try! Still kinda skeptical!
YAY!!!:)

Witchblade
03-24-2002, 07:58 PM
Gun Valkyrie is marvellous and everyone who looks for a good, hard challenge and loves 3D actiongames should buy this title!
I don't know how good Metroid Prime for GCN will be when it's done, but it won't be easy to beat Gun Valkyrie - that's for sure!

PS. I finished the game today - everyone else yet?

Cheers
Witchblade

Ninja Scroll
03-25-2002, 11:57 AM
I have actually done some research over the weekend on this game and everything I hear is nothing but good things from the graphics (some even saying the bes t graphics on the Xbox thus far!!:eek: , that's a bold statement!) to the awesome sound fx!

But the only thing negetive im hearing the the controls, and that's from everyone! Some say this game is geared only toward the hardcore gamer with it's up to 3 hour controls learning curve.

Unlike others in this post not willing to give this game a chance because no one else does, I think I will.
This weekend as a matter of fact.
I gotta turn in this import boot-up disc that ran me for $20.00 beans so I will only be coughing up $30.00 smackers for this game!

I say why not take chances fellas, try something new and different. You never know, yoiu might say to yourself " d@mn, and I almost pasted this overlooked game up!:confused: "

GUNVALKYRIE,.. ONLY ON XBOX!!!..... It's Thinking!........:confused: .... wait a sec,... that's DC's line!:eek:

:D

AlBoogy
03-25-2002, 12:10 PM
I'll try and help you out with my 2 cents Ninja. I just rented it last night and played it and beat the 1st boss. The controls at first, are very intimidating. I was trying to play it like halo, which isn't exactly how it should be played. But once you start using your jet pack to get the enemies on the floor, it does play like halo. (if that made any sense) It plays alot like a platformer, where you have to jump alot and find where you have to go.

It took me almost an hour to complete the third level, cause I couldnt make it to a specific platform. I wanted to throw the controller badly. But beyond that 1 time, I have had loads of fun with it so far. I really think that gamespot and other places should not have a reviewer that simply can not get used to the controls review the game. Trust me, if they got used to the controls, the scores should be much higher. When I return it, I will most likely buy it (thats if I dont beat it) I guess if you have any other question feel free to ask.

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
I have actually done some research over the weekend on this game and everything I hear is nothing but good things from the graphics (some even saying the bes t graphics on the Xbox thus far!!:eek: , that's a bold statement!) to the awesome sound fx!

But the only thing negetive im hearing the the controls, and that's from everyone! Some say this game is geared only toward the hardcore gamer with it's up to 3 hour controls learning curve.

Unlike others in this post not willing to give this game a chance because no one else does, I think I will.
This weekend as a matter of fact.
I gotta turn in this import boot-up disc that ran me for $20.00 beans so I will only be coughing up $30.00 smackers for this game!

I say why not take chances fellas, try something new and different. You never know, yoiu might say to yourself " d@mn, and I almost pasted this overlooked game up!:confused: "

GUNVALKYRIE,.. ONLY ON XBOX!!!..... It's Thinking!........:confused: .... wait a sec,... that's DC's line!:eek:

Cool, dude...let us know how it is! I must admit, the game does look more impressive than it did a few months ago. Last weekend, I looked to see if it was available for rent and I didn't even see it on the shelves yet... I'll check again this weekend :)

JJaX
03-25-2002, 01:08 PM
I think the people |3itchen about the controls just lack in skillz. Now days most gamers are content with crap like wreckless, Just because its PurDy and All you gotta do is hold 'R' YuK YuK!

Props to SEGA for making a difficult game, instead of a friendly game.

Thanks DZNUTZ for pointing out i put Sony instead of Sega.

*OopS*

DZNUTZ
03-25-2002, 01:36 PM
sony?????...u mean sega ..i think...anyways...personally i'll wait and try the demo ... but i'm not one to get all scuuuuured by a game that isn't all easy.

Ninja Scroll
03-25-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
sony?????...u mean sega ..i think...anyways...personally i'll wait and try the demo ... but i'm not one to get all scuuuuured by a game that isn't all easy.

Dont contredict yourself DZ, your obviously scuuuuuuured if your only willing to rent the game and not help it's sales figures.
Something I care about. It's all good though, it's gonna get my hard earned money this weekend, playboy!:)

Hey, dont thank me DZNUTZ, that's why im here:rolleyes:
Ninja knows best!:D

Ninja Scroll
03-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
I'll try and help you out with my 2 cents Ninja. I just rented it last night and played it and beat the 1st boss. The controls at first, are very intimidating. I was trying to play it like halo, which isn't exactly how it should be played. But once you start using your jet pack to get the enemies on the floor, it does play like halo. (if that made any sense) It plays alot like a platformer, where you have to jump alot and find where you have to go.

It took me almost an hour to complete the third level, cause I couldnt make it to a specific platform. I wanted to throw the controller badly. But beyond that 1 time, I have had loads of fun with it so far. I really think that gamespot and other places should not have a reviewer that simply can not get used to the controls review the game. Trust me, if they got used to the controls, the scores should be much higher. When I return it, I will most likely buy it (thats if I dont beat it) I guess if you have any other question feel free to ask.

Thanks for your feedback AlBoogy.:) Dont worry, I understand what you mean.;)
But one thing, do you think it's worth you dishing out the $50.00 for it, or are you only happy with the rental alone?

Plewis
03-25-2002, 02:36 PM
im planning on renting this game over spring break (next week). I was gonna rent another game also... I think its gonna be rallisport challenge. Both seem like really nice games to me

DZNUTZ
03-25-2002, 02:39 PM
i'm not contradicting myself ninja......its just that i'm not assuming... ya see..by various reviews ..its pretty much a given fact that this game has a big learning curve. as i said before. so what....but since i haven't played the game...i can't really say if the rest of the factors will please me...ie...gameplay...length....replayability. especially replayability...that is one of my first concerns when it comes to buying games...cuzz if it don't have that...then it better be damn long with a good story. so u see...i aint contradicting nuttin...if sega wants my money..they'll have to earn it like the rest of the developers...not just because the sega logo is on it. take grand theft for example...everyone know the game rocks....but did take2's/rockstars follow up effort SOE? hell NO..IMO that game blows ....so u see...an educated person such as myself would be smart to just wait and play the demo from his OXM subscription in just a couple weeks...then got out and buy it while their are other quality games out (rallisport,thps3,nba2k2,jsrf..all of which i haven't picked up yet)..and other just on the horizon (morrowwind).
no need to thank me for clarifying ninja...i'm DZNUTZ..(.in your mouth)..and thats what i'm here for.;)

wweomaniac
03-25-2002, 02:54 PM
The game is amazing. The controls are quite adaptable, and the graphics are out of this world. I already wrote a GUNVALKYRIE review for this website, so if you want to check it out, go ahead.

I would have to say that GUNVALKYRIE is one of the most unique/thrilling one player games ever. try it out!!! The jet pack adds a new dimension to gameplay that won't disappoint you.

Witchblade
03-25-2002, 05:56 PM
I have a question about Gun Valkyrie...

Does someone know, how I can get Kelly's third battlesuit?

Cheers
Witchblade

maneatingcow
03-25-2002, 11:56 PM
Hello Witchblade, and welcome to XBA :)

To get Kelly's 3rd suit, you have to get ALL of the Haley's Cores. You must do them in one whole run of the normal game, and cannot get them in challenge mode.

Here is a list of the locations:

VALLEY 1: At the second set of mushroom platforms, on the highest thin platform.
VALLEY 2: In the floating platform area with the strong drafts. Slightly right of the north exit, on a higher level.
VALLEY 3: At the very end of the stage. The section resembles the one in Valley 1 where you picked up the Drive Gun. Be sure to leave one Frekiheim alive before you grab the core or else the stage will end.
CIVILIAN BASE 1: In the third large room. About 2/3rds the way up on the NE portion you'll find a nook. Drop down.
CIVILIAN BASE 2: In the narrow, 4-sided elevator-like shaft. Boost up one level, then fall off to the side. Go to any corner and drop down one more level.
CIVILIAN BASE 3: Keep falling (about 5/6th the way down) until you see the 5 SVN drones that form a star pattern. You should see a door on the same level. The core's below the platform on the other side of that door.
NAGLFAR'S PIT 1: Right below the platform where you start.
NAGLFAR'S PIT 2: Very bottom, center of the pit.
YGGDRASILL 1: Alongside the wall 2/3rds the way down. Should be visible as you decend.
YGGDRASILL 2: Alongside the wall 2/3rds the way up (you start the stage at the bottom).

Ninja Scroll
03-26-2002, 09:45 AM
i'm not contradicting myself ninja......its just that i'm not assuming... ya see..by various reviews ..its pretty much a given fact that this game has a big learning curve. as i said before. so what....but since i haven't played the game...i can't really say if the rest of the factors will please me...ie...gameplay...length....replayability. especially replayability...that is one of my first concerns when it comes to buying games...cuzz if it don't have that...then it better be damn long with a good story. so u see...i aint contradicting nuttin...if sega wants my money..they'll have to earn it like the rest of the developers...not just because the sega logo is on it. take grand theft for example...everyone know the game rocks....but did take2's/rockstars follow up effort SOE? hell NO..IMO that game blows ....so u see...an educated person such as myself would be smart to just wait and play the demo from his OXM subscription in just a couple weeks...then got out and buy it while their are other quality games out (rallisport,thps3,nba2k2,jsrf..all of which i haven't picked up yet)..and other just on the horizon (morrowwind).
no need to thank me for clarifying ninja...i'm DZNUTZ..(.in your mouth)..and thats what i'm here for.;)

YO dznutz, sorry for the delay in my reply. I was searching for my d@mn thread until I just found out one of the mods decided to mush mine into other peoples threads!:rolleyes: Something im not pleased with, but any who!
Dont get offended becauseI called you out DZ, im just keeping it real sunshine!

Oh and that was cute of you to stole my new catch phrase, but I dont know about that sick part you added!:eek: I think i'll hook you up with one of my chicken head on da east coast, aight bro!:D Im gonna set you straight!.... **wink, wink**!:D

DZNUTZ
03-26-2002, 12:27 PM
non taken ninja......yea, i feel ya on the "where the hell did that thread go" part. its just playfull banter to me dogg...as for the chickenhead..send em my way..i'm taking applications for my summer league team;) ...of asian decent is a plus...and in return..i'll send u some west coast pigeons

p.s. congrats on the naki case.ja bazzzztard!!!

maneatingcow
03-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Why was your thread moved Ninja?

Step 1: It was posted in "General Discussion"
Step 2: It was a new release
Step 3: There is an official thread for the game, to make the boards less frantic

Or you could simply....

RESPECT MY AUTHORATAH!

and i rarely ever watch that show.....

Ninja Scroll
03-26-2002, 06:18 PM
non taken ninja......yea, i feel ya on the "where the hell did that thread go" part. its just playfull banter to me dogg...as for the chickenhead..send em my way..i'm taking applications for my summer league team;) ...of asian decent is a plus...and in return..i'll send u some west coast pigeons

p.s. congrats on the naki case.ja bazzzztard!!!

LOL@west coast pigeons! :D hehehe!
I'll see what I can do about da chicken heads bro.

Oh, and thanks for the congrates on da Naki case. Im really happy about it.
You stll got time sunshine, you might get selected. If not XBA will always be running contest. So this is not a no win situation. you never know.
Back to da topic: so when you gonna rent GUNVALKYRIE?
Im buying mine this weekend.

And to mec, dude.... you need to be more worried about making my avator for GBAA instead of moving my threads junior :D btw, I noticed you dont post their anymore! :confused: dont worry, your notmissing much.
I just wish more people would give this site a chance :(

WHAT?..WHAT'S DAT YOU SAY? You want a link,.. why didntyou say so :D ........ www.gbaaddict.com cheap plug! :)

PlatinmArgonate
03-26-2002, 07:10 PM
i just rented Gunvalkyrie and i like it, it is very challenging and the graphics are awesome. The only thing that annoys me is the aiming but i can live with it. :cool:

Toder
03-27-2002, 10:05 AM
I bought the game on Monday and I can say its definately a good game. The graphics are awesome and i'll admit the controlls take sometime to get used too, but after you do get used to them you can practically fly your way through the levels. But whenb doing this i have had a little trouble aiming down and maintaining my altitude but hey its a work in progrees.

Afro Aura
03-27-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Toder
I bought the game on Monday and I can say its definately a good game. The graphics are awesome and i'll admit the controlls take sometime to get used too, but after you do get used to them you can practically fly your way through the levels. But whenb doing this i have had a little trouble aiming down and maintaining my altitude but hey its a work in progrees.
Yeah I got mine today as well and I agree with all you said about this fanastic game, I'm still trying to do those moves she does in the games demo, don't she look GOOD!! flying around like that.

Yes I would recommend this to anyone it's got to be the most beautiful graphics on the XBOX on par with Dead or Alive 3 but as I said and Toder the controls will take sometime to get used to

BDHES
03-29-2002, 11:36 AM
Picked GV up at Gamespot yesterday at 4pm...played until 2am last night! Everything that everyone has posted about the controls being a bit quirky is right on, but I thought that the controls in Halo took some getting used to also so no big deal to adapt.
The graphics and sound are astounding! Using the jet-pack and spinning around in mid air while the strange sun beams in the background is just beautiful. Blasting those extremely creepy spiders and the pods with the drive gun isn't all that bad either...
I may be a bit on the biased side though as Metroid was one of my all time favorite games....this has Metroid qualities X 100...Like Metroid on 3D steroids...

Man! I just love this game!

Adios everyone! Grab this game up if you have the funds available...I don't think you'll regret it

BDHES

NomadLLama
03-31-2002, 01:36 AM
i beat the demo of tha game at CompUSA. it was actually a pretty good experience. i was too used to the Halo controls, so got confused, but after about 3 minutes got the hang of it. i really don't like that auto-aim system. it doesn't allow u to shoot who u wanna.

C++
03-31-2002, 03:42 AM
This game is tight, The Graphics look awsome

C++
03-31-2002, 03:44 AM
I also Played this At Best buy and it was ammazing

linkycat
03-31-2002, 11:45 PM
HOly french fries.

I beat this game today, I've had it now for a week and have been playing next to non-stop. It occupied all of my time over spring break when I was at my parent's and they didn't have a net connection. Now I'm back at school, and I still couldn't put it down.. until now!

WHEW IT'S OVER!!!! So cool. Love me seom Gun Valykyrie.

I am telling you right now, this game is SOLID on the gameplay aspect. It is hard as holy heck at the beginning, but by the end you've powered up your character and master techniques that will keep you in the air indefinately.

This is the first true killer game on my XBOX. I LOVED and STILL LOVE HALO, but after I beat it once on legendary, I couldn't handle going back and doing it again. It's just not as emersive. When you beat this game, and you have the option to go back and get better marks on levels, you really it. I can't explain why. I'm a lunitic for this game.

SO wonderful. Buy it. It gives you happy feelings.

Ninja Scroll
04-01-2002, 01:35 PM
I bought mine last Thursday and just started playing it last night for a good hour.
Guys, im not saying im better than the next man but I didnt have no problems getting used to the controls.
I think all the media & internet reviews are overating the learning curve for this game.
If you lesson to the instructions at the beginning of your first mission jsut like in Halo you will understand.
Man, it's been along time since I have played a platform type gaem where I have to jump up on mushroom after mushroom to make it to the next part of the level.
The sound, balance, visuals/graphics, ect. are all very impressive thus far.
I recommend this game to anyone interested in 3rd person shooters, action, platform type of gernes.:cool:

04-01-2002, 08:05 PM
hey guys, I just bought this game today and it's awesome.
When I first put it in though it gave me a message that it couldn't read the disk and I freaked out :eek:
It looks really fun and I know I'll be playing it for awhile, it's going to be awesome when I get the hang of the controls...
Does anyone know if you can go back and replay levels?

...and could someone please help me with the valley 2 level? I beat all the bugs in the cave and got the core or whatever, and when I look at the map it says that I need to go back past the beginning. Right now I'm where I started and I can't seem to get up the cliff, does anyone know how to get to the top of the map where the last of the bugs are? I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could help me...I've been playing this part for so long...and I don't want to start over because I have the cave part cleared. thanks a bunch.

Afro Aura
04-01-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by guest
hey guys, I just bought this game today and it's awesome.
When I first put it in though it gave me a message that it couldn't read the disk and I freaked out :eek:
It looks really fun and I know I'll be playing it for awhile, it's going to be awesome when I get the hang of the controls...
Does anyone know if you can go back and replay levels?

...and could someone please help me with the valley 2 level? I beat all the bugs in the cave and got the core or whatever, and when I look at the map it says that I need to go back past the beginning. Right now I'm where I started and I can't seem to get up the cliff, does anyone know how to get to the top of the map where the last of the bugs are? I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could help me...I've been playing this part for so long...and I don't want to start over because I have the cave part cleared. thanks a bunch.
hehehehehe have you tried the caves mate look at the map or just jump from one mushroom to the other untill you get there

It's an awesome game it's got graphics to die for and I love the gameplay

Ninja Scroll
04-02-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Afro Aura

hehehehehe have you tried the caves mate look at the map or just jump from one mushroom to the other untill you get there

It's an awesome game it's got graphics to die for and I love the gameplay

What's so funny Afro, dudes not lieing, I was playing this game a little more last night and I was like "where the f*ck do I go next!!" The map is full of bs for real. I cant go into the next door because I got to kill more monsters in other places i cant even go.
It's started to pi$$ me off until I realized it was almost 9:00pm eastern time. Time for da all new WWF RAW.
Lucky for GUNVALKYRIE because I was about to lay da smackdown on this d@mn game yo!

:mad:

Sodacider
04-02-2002, 05:45 PM
there's a pit in the last area of the first section.

go INTO it instead of jetting over it.

Ninja Scroll
04-02-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Sodacider
there's a pit in the last area of the first section.

go INTO it instead of jetting over it.

Im not sure what level or what part of the game your refering too, but any help getting through these crazy ass mazes would be very helpful.:)

Sodacider
04-03-2002, 12:31 AM
Valley 2, when you get into an open area w/ mushrooms and flying mosquito-suckers-with-bombs and stuff, and there are pits in the ground that look something like trenches, those trenches are where you need to go once you clear the area out. OH, and MAKE SURE to kill insect swarms... I spent 5 minutes extra trying to find them since they didn't seem to auto-target in the area.

Anyway go inside the trenches and search them out. At the proper end is a cave entrance which leads to the big pit.

----
my objective non-subjective I-swear-it's-not-biased review:

This game is GREAT. Smilebit does it again.

I'm at Ygdrisall (sp) 2, ... grr... :) and everything i've gone through before this is AMAZING.

Ninja Scroll
04-03-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Sodacider
Valley 2, when you get into an open area w/ mushrooms and flying mosquito-suckers-with-bombs and stuff, and there are pits in the ground that look something like trenches, those trenches are where you need to go once you clear the area out. OH, and MAKE SURE to kill insect swarms... I spent 5 minutes extra trying to find them since they didn't seem to auto-target in the area.

Anyway go inside the trenches and search them out. At the proper end is a cave entrance which leads to the big pit.

Okay, im gonna check this out tonight, or either tomorrow. hopefully your help will not be in vein.:)

Thanks playa!:cool:

Plewis
04-03-2002, 04:04 PM
i played valley 2 for a little over an hour... I had to give up... i was just getting used to the controls too. Im not really naturally gifted at videogames:D it takes a little work for me to get the controls. Maybe tommorow I'll be able to beat it. Those flying things are so fricken hard to kill. Which is ur guys favorite guns... blue yellow, or red?

Sodacider
04-03-2002, 09:13 PM
oh the flying things, use your machine gun on close fire (close fire is one of two modes of fire, you'll have to press the gun button (X) a couple times while shooting to tell the difference.

04-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Hey could someone tell me how to beat the very end guy? - (you know...the wierd doll-head guy with the bow/sword thing?). I admit I've only tried to beat it twice, but it just takes so long to get to him...
and for the one part where you need to destroy the big ball with the little bug-dollhead guys, could someone tell me if I'm going about this part the right way? - At first I use the drill gun to kill the guys then I shoot the ball when it spins, and when the bugs get to be too much that's when I start to jump up and do boost combos and trying not to get hit by the barrage of spike bullet things...
the reason I ask is because I'm not quite a master at this game yet and i struggle with this part so I want to make sure I'm doing it the most efficient way.

I really need help with that last guy though, I only got a sliver of health from him last time and I don't know how I did it...:D

04-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Plewis
i played valley 2 for a little over an hour... I had to give up... i was just getting used to the controls too.

lol...I feel your pain. I played Naglar's Pit 1 for 4 hours... this level made me hate myself.

Laced
04-06-2002, 01:05 AM
Is there a monster on the bridge at the middlish of Valley 2 where the satellite is? I can't get up there or shoot anything from the mushroom. :(

Laced
04-06-2002, 01:10 AM
Is there a monster on the bridge at the middlish of Valley 2 where the satellite is? I can't get up there or shoot anything from the mushroom. :(

JimmieDoogan
04-06-2002, 10:40 PM
Just bought the game and go through two lvs. Cool stuff so far. Only used Kelly so far but its coo.

04-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Hey I beat the game like 2 days ago and I just beat it again yesterday to get Kelly's third suit (which makes the end guy super easy). I'm glad I bought it, I love the valley level where you have to blow up all of the bugs that produce bugs because you can just sit there with the drill gun and mow them down.:D

Ninja Scroll
04-07-2002, 11:32 AM
I am enjoying this game too!
At first when I bought the game it frustrated me because of not knowing where to go next in the vally 2.
well after finally get through that caper it was all up hill from their!
gunvalkyrie can get addicting for hours straight, and then you look at the clock and your like "WOW, I spend that much time playing"?!
This game is hot!;)

But where da hell are the CG cutsense?! :confused: