PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Cleaning

Spaztic
03-20-2002, 03:17 PM
I have my xbox on a shelf near the floor, I noticed it collects alot of dust. Now working in the pc industry I know how dirty the inside of a pc can get and how it eventually over time can affect the performance of the machine. Since the xbox has tons of vents that are have grooves it is kinda hard to clean the system with a nornal dust rag! Well since I love my xbox so much I don't want the performance to deteriorate over time so I want to keep it in tip top shape! I was thinking a can of pressurized air would work. What do or will some of you people do? Should I just shoot it into the vents or actually take the cover off? I would hate to void the warrenty :confused: but if it keeps my system from breaking down it will be worth it! What do you all think. Keep in mind if the case is on you will probably just be blowing the dust around in the case with little of it getting out...but then again I don't know!

aronx
03-20-2002, 03:21 PM
dust doesnt effect the performance of any pc. it only effects keyboards where moving parts need to make contact with other parts. a dust particle is too big to interfere in electrical current.

l Maximus l
03-20-2002, 03:30 PM
That's why I want one of those NAKI XBox carry cases! You can play your XBox out of it! Just open the top while you play it so it gets ventilation and then close it up when you're done :)

I want to win one!! {hint....hint...nudge...nudge...wink...wink} ;)

NomadLLama
03-21-2002, 10:31 PM
yeah ive seen things like that happen. i think that blowing it will work fine. i had a friend that tried to play Nightcaster, but wouldn't read it because there was a crapload of dust inside the DVD tray (do not ask me how it got in there). she just blew inside the tray and most of the dust flew out. i think that its alright, but you may just as well ask microsoft or someone else...

Stncold
03-21-2002, 10:42 PM
opening your xbox wont let you be able to clean it any easier because theres like a tin layer over the whole case on the inside so you cant get to the plastic outer shell from the inside. So your best bet is to use an air duster that you can buy from just about any pc store. Dust can make it overheat if you have way too much of it in it for long periods of time, but i dunno with an xbox, thats with a pc.

MediocreMike
03-21-2002, 11:54 PM
What I do to keep my xbox clean is use my vacum cleaner. I attach the soft brush and go over it on the lowest setting. It works very well.

fanofslipknotib
03-22-2002, 12:44 AM
Theres a simple solution. Just put a towel over your box when you arent using it. Nothing will get in that way. And, if dust gets on the vent part, try a Q tip!

I cant wait til I get my Naki case! Problem will be solved!

Ninja Scroll
03-22-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by fanofslipknotib
Theres a simple solution. Just put a towel over your box when you arent using it. Nothing will get in that way. And, if dust gets on the vent part, try a Q tip!

I cant wait til I get my Naki case! Problem will be solved!

Yeah, all I do is cover mine with the plastic the Xbox came with.
So whenever I play I just remove it and it still shine as if I just Turtle Waxed it!:cool:

btw, a towel can get dust on the Xbox just from it's faberic, I say use the platic from the box it came in.

It's okay, dont thank me:rolleyes: .... It;s what im here for!:D

Ninja knows best!:cool:

Chr0nik
03-22-2002, 11:39 AM
I heard the best way to clean it is to open up the top case and

spray Pledge directly on the CPU and board. This seems to get all

the dust out in a hurry. :)

Spaztic
03-22-2002, 11:52 AM
spray Pledge directly on the CPU and board

I gave it a try, it didn't work to well, so I opened the case got a gallon of water dumped it strait onto the cpu and board and guess what no dust! But the case back together and what do you know the xbox runs faster then ever!

fanofslipknotib
03-22-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

Yeah, all I do is cover mine with the plastic the Xbox came with.
So whenever I play I just remove it and it still shine as if I just Turtle Waxed it!:cool:

btw, a towel can get dust on the Xbox just from it's faberic, I say use the platic from the box it came in.

It's okay, dont thank me:rolleyes: .... It;s what im here for!:D

Ninja knows best!:cool:

Good Idea...except I probably threw the plastic away! lol, maybe I'll find it.

FuNkY mOnK
03-23-2002, 12:15 PM
Its not to far fetched to remove the case once in a while, dust can cover the chips and act like a blanket causing even further heat build up in the green power plant. So, if you notice a lot of dust around, chances are, half of it will be in the xbox. I open mine once a month and blow off all the dust from the chip set and fan. If you remove the sticker very carefully and apply it to wax paper, put it in a safe place until you need it, you’ll be fine.

Frostberg
03-23-2002, 12:30 PM
dust is bad because it builds up and doesnt allow proper circulation, which does effect preformance due to overhearing...if dust gets in the riges between it goves of the heatsink, it doesnt cool the CPU like it should...so dust is evil!

xboxer2002
03-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Here's what I do and I've been a cpu tech for four years.I wipe the whole outside of my Xbox with Endust(for electronics),then every once in awhile, I'll use a pledge grab it glove and wipe it down. The endust repells dust and the grap it attracts any dust to the glove like a dust magnet.If the dvd tray gets dirty,I'll feather dust it out and use a grab it to get the rest.

Xboxfan123
03-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by xboxer2002
Here's what I do and I've been a cpu tech for four years.I wipe the whole outside of my Xbox with Endust(for electronics),then every once in awhile, I'll use a pledge grab it glove and wipe it down. The endust repells dust and the grap it attracts any dust to the glove like a dust magnet.If the dvd tray gets dirty,I'll feather dust it out and use a grab it to get the rest.

I use "Endust for Electronics" too. It seems to work very well. I noticed after the first time I used the product it seemed a little less dusty the next time I went to dust my Xbox.

Spray a small amount on a cloth first and the dust off the Xbox. I called MS about this and of course they told me "Microsoft does not officially recognize this product. Use it at your own discretion".
They say that because they don't make money from it. But it works well.