PDA

View Full Version : Are RPGs all that great?

l Maximus l
03-20-2002, 04:26 PM
As some of you may know, I am really unsure about RPGs probably because I don't ever recall ever playing a true full-fledged RPG. I know many people are excited about Morrowind, which I think is great!!! But, for some reason, it doesn't quite tickle my pickle like it does for many of you dudes.

I seem to be really into high packed action games...it just seems to me that RPGs lack this feature. I understand that there is some action in RPGs, however, I also understand that it's just "here and there". Am I completely out of line here and am I missing something?

It just seems to me that exploring an unknown world just seems boring......I just don't know.... :confused:

What are your thoughts? Am I just missing something?

Xtopia
03-20-2002, 04:35 PM
I really am looking foward to Morrowind--even though I have never really, like you, played a "real" RPG. I loved the Zelda series...and that they were RPG's but, evidently they are not!
Buy anyway, I am looking forward to Morrowind because, honesty, the concept of an RPG sounds fun to me!:)

DZNUTZ
03-20-2002, 04:45 PM
i totally agree with xtopia on the zelda remark. I also think a top notch rpg is a good way to round out your video game collection....i to am more into fast paced action....but every now and then its good to have a lil something different. also maximus.,,personally i'm extrememley excited about rpg's online. I've never been a PC gamer ( its just not my thang ) but PSO on DC ate up some major time...not only was it not slow at all....but interaction with different folks.( yes even the morons) i find to be interesting. i guessing most of u do to...or you probably wouldn't stay on the forums for so long.

ScorpionX
03-20-2002, 04:46 PM
RPG are boring to me. I have Shenmue for DC and I find it boring because there is not a lot of action in it. I prefer games like Halo and DOA3. Ill probably rent Morrowind before I buy it to see if I will enjoy it.

Woocifer
03-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Maximus...I suppose that it's all a matter of taste. But if you think about it, some people need to jump off of a cliff with a parachute for 10 seconds to get a thrill or a rush in life, where some people prefer curling or chess or blackjack and that sort of thing...

The reason why Morrowind is so in demand is because it's an alternate world. It's pure escapism, and most of us want that because we're bored of the things around us and would love to be or do certain things that we can't. I know that's what all games are based around for the most part, but with an RPG we get to connect and follow a storyline. See in a racing game, you just race...it's who wins and it goes for however long the race is. It isn't about how you beat Jim or Paul or whatever, its just about you coming in first. Sports game kinda up the ante with it being against another team, but no game really incorporates rivalry which sucks. And then you get to RPGs which cause you to create relationships, think on your feet, react to situations that other games never present... I guess its just the fantasy involved with not only getting in the car and racing it, but getting out of the car, goin to the toilet, meeting your gf, finding out she has been cheatin on you, talkin to her to find out, then confronting her, chasing the other man down, killing him, killing her, and then running from the cops hahahahahaha

Anyway, the open endedness is why it has so much attention. I didn't like FF7 and up for those reasons...everything is basically like reading a story. I can watch a movie and be just about as entertained only because its all linear story driven. Morrowind is allowing us all to make our own Conan the Barbarian, or Excalibur, or whatever you want to put in here.

Adventure is hard to find in games when really they already are pre-determined. Since Morrowind isn't...its replayable. And with guaranteed at least 200 hours to do ALL the quests...that is phenominal. And a rumoured 500-600 hours of gameplay if you just explore everything and such, sounds like a good idea to me. Sounds like I'll get more than my moneys worth.

l Maximus l
03-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
i totally agree with xtopia on the zelda remark. I also think a top notch rpg is a good way to round out your video game collection....i to am more into fast paced action....but every now and then its good to have a lil something different. also maximus.,,personally i'm extrememley excited about rpg's online. I've never been a PC gamer ( its just not my thang ) but PSO on DC ate up some major time...not only was it not slow at all....but interaction with different folks.( yes even the morons) i find to be interesting. i guessing most of u do to...or you probably wouldn't stay on the forums for so long.

Well, one thing you mentioned really does sound cool...which is the on-line gaming. But, I'm still a little sketchy...Xtopia also made a good point about Zelda...I was a huge fan of Zelda, until N64s most recent one :( ...however, I did enjoy Ocarina of Time. But, you know, I have Azurik: Rise of Perathia, and I would definately compare that to Zelda in a lot of ways and I enjoyed it much more than I did compared to Zelda....and I was also alarmed that Azurik is not an RPG. So, maybe I have no idea what an RPG is or something!??! :confused:

Also, Ratm1, from the things I heard about Shenmue also sounded boring to me. I guess in Shenmue 2 you can get a job moving freight and make money and stuff. For some reason, moving freight, let alone, having a job on a video game, doesn't sound very appealing to me...Am I missing something!? :confused:

Spaztic
03-20-2002, 05:06 PM
To be honest with you rpg are sometimes boring, When you play these games you sometimes run into bosses that you cannot beat because you are not powerful enough. so you wander around randomly finding enemies and killing them to make your character more powerful. So yes the RPG can get annoying to a point. Also you will play for 2 hrs. forget to save and get killed and have to start all over. I like RPG's but will not spend $50 bucks on a game that has 100 hrs. of gameplay and I know I will probably never beat just because their are other games (rallisport, hunter, bruteforce, unreal tournament) that are much more worth my time. I am going to wait for this game to buy when I can get it used or something. I am like you max I like action! Something has to be happening for me to enjoy the game. I can go in the woods and get lost if I was wanting to explore. My suggestion is to wait on Marrowind until you can get it used and buy it then....just because I don't think you will play it enough to justify the $50. Its not like $50 is to much but I rather have a different game! I like violence, blood, and the satisfaction of me kicking ass and RPG games don't give you that!

NemesisX
03-20-2002, 05:07 PM
Hey Maximus every game you play is a RPG no madder what it is.
RPG stands for Role Playing Game (Taking a Role and Playing it :) )
The only difference in RPGS and Action is RPGs usally have more story, Attacks based on percentages not aim. Battling Systems,and Leveling up. Also gaining moves,spells,etc.

Here are some Reasons why you may like RPGS:

Usally have Deep story line.
Many hours of playing (+20 pointless hours of leveling up)
Interaction with the world.
Battling System.
Usally based on a group of people

Some reasons why you may hate RPGS:

Long time to beat
Leveling up (2O hours on any Final Fanasty Game)
Battling System.
Seeing font scroll across the screen (Talking is like this Bob: Hi Jimmy,) For most RPGS.

Heres just some reasons

Plewis
03-20-2002, 05:16 PM
I like RPGs... I loved Chronotrigger, Zelda, Wandering Hamster (a demo from hamsterrepublic.com... it looks stupid but it was fun):D , I havent ever played a Final Fantasy game all the way through. But RPGs are alot more strategic then action games. Excluding Halo on Heroic, and Legendary. Believe it or not I liked Pokemon... it's a good game if you don't get obsessed with it. I only played red, and that was really before it got the kiddy rep. But I think most action people think RPGs are stupid until they actually play it... My friend plays games like MoH:AA, and Max Payne (on computer) all the time, and he thought RPGs were stupid until he downloaded Chronotrigger for his SNES emmulator... and he loved it. You just have to give it a chance;)

E-Xbox
03-20-2002, 05:19 PM
yo max
juss wait for PE (project ego)

thats gonna change rpg's forever...and games forever....

peace

Huckleberry
03-20-2002, 05:32 PM
among the many reasons for choosing to play a rpg...you can have a beer or two while playing. try doing that while being sniped in hang-em-high. :-)

really, though, if you've ever liked to read fiction (and not just fantasy stuff), you'll probably really like rpg's...and especially now that they're moving toward a non-linear format. i think that everyone has a little part of them that wishes they could be Master Chief, Link, or any number of characters from the game world. rpg's just let you develop that world more deeply.

these games tend to make you think much more, also. there are problems to be solved, puzzles, etc...stuff where you have to be both creative and logical in order to get something done. they will definitely seem slow compared to halo or max payne, but your imagination can go further into something like morrowind. this game will just be the start, too. project ego and star wars KOTOR are going to expand even further on the non-linear part of things. pretty soon it will be like stepping into a holodeck...you'll just become part of another world for a while...

and you can have a beer or two while you're there!!! btw, i found that brewery that makes the apricot ale, and found a distributor in illinois. i should have some very soon! i'll let you know how it is, and then maybe i'll send you a couple of bottles of my favorite beer...Dark Star...from a local brewpub/restaurant down the road a bit.

Wu3000
03-20-2002, 06:05 PM
rpgs are great if you like to role play, i started out playing the ol skool classics d and d, rifts, even war hammer. pencil and paper, thats where the rpgs really are. most video games try to convert that into a visual concept that you can control. you have to beable to get lost in your character. thats probably why rpgs arent that great anymore, at least not in the us. our attention span is crazy short, everyone wants action, as do i but thats not what rpg is all about. its about the quest, saving the princess as someone else, character interactment is a must in a true rpg you can talk to anyone, kill anyone. you see that cat over there on that car, dont like cats, pull out your .50 caliner sniper rifle and blow it away. thats an rpg. zelda and most other games are action games with a few rpg elements. its all about stats and exp in a real rpg. at least thats my take. sounds *** but you kinda have to live that characters life for awhile. ask anyone who has ever played a full scenario in a paper and pencil RPG

wu

Zen
03-20-2002, 06:09 PM
Max, i agree with X... rent morrowind, but wait for project ego

Thats the RPG to put money into

Skarp
03-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Its just a different type of game that you might not like, for example Puzzle games....I hate those cause I do enough mind work in school and would rather have action games that I can relax and play.

Formula_91
03-20-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by E-Xbox
yo max
juss wait for PE (project ego)

thats gonna change rpg's forever...and games forever....

peace

Sounds like an old rpg Square came out with in Japan only.
Ya it was only 16 bit but the same thing pretty much :P

silvertrace
03-20-2002, 09:01 PM
i enjoy rpg's because its the kind of game u can play alone and enjoy by urself (i play halo alone and like it, but u know what i mean)......i remember playin dragon warrior for nes and zelda and the one thing that stands out is i only played them when i was alone....u can't have like 4 friends over to watch u beat ganon...so they serve their purpose.....and thats why i can't wait for project ego....it looks sick

JADE8704
03-20-2002, 09:10 PM
i posted this earlier on a different thread..one about elderscrolls:morrowind...but anyways, its rpg related..so here it is:

earlier post:
i like rpgs because you become the character in the game...you feel like you actually are in the game..thats whats cool about rpgs is because it immerses you into the storyline...and also you feel a close bond to the other characters in the game(ex. zelda ocarina of time...i almost peed my pants when i saw link become an adult)and also, you can explore the wonderful world that the devs made, and actually interact with the environment...its quite different from an action game...and im not taking anything away from that genre, infact, i enjoy action games as much as i do rpgs...well thats my bit on rpgs..hope that helped some

i hope that helps max :)

Afro Aura
03-21-2002, 08:25 AM
from a post I did earlier

I was like Maximus once I wanted action, action and more action untill I got hold of Phantasy Star 2 on the Megadrive (Genesis) and that was it I was hooked.

Max it's the adventure of choosing you own team, finding new items, choosing your own weapons, tactual fighting the list could go on but untill you've tried a good RPG then you don't know what your missing as you can finish a RPG in a couple of hours theres always the chance you could go back to finish what you missed the last time round and maybe get a better ending.

I loved Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast and I really hope they bring a sequel to this game all though it's gonna be pretty hard as to what the did to the final boss lets hope and see:D

and I'd agree with Jade8704 post

Hugh_Jass
03-21-2002, 10:24 AM
If you like Azurik then I think you'll love a true RPG. The best parts about Azurik (for me) is the expansive and imaginative environments and being able to explore this massive world at will.

It sounds like ES3 and Project Ego will share these traits in spades. Plus, you'll have the ability to personalize your character and interact with the other inhabitants of the world.

The only interaction you had with Azurik is killing the other inhabitants (outside of the village, anyway). And there was really no way to customize your character, other than the obsidian rewards.

Lil B
03-21-2002, 03:58 PM
Many RPG's do seem alittle tedious at times with the same old run around and kill the same weak characters to build experience points, magic, etc. However with the advances in consoles to I've notices RPG's are become closer and closer to seeming more like action/adventure games. With a little more substance and intrigue to keep you interested in the game and not to find a save spot and put the game down. But thats my opinion.