PDA

View Full Version : The fight for the XBOX

Afro Aura
03-23-2002, 09:52 AM
I so fed up with H (with 2 other letters after the H and it's a record store) putting down the XBOX, I was in there today to talk to my friend (PS2 owner) and all he could say is I should sell my XBOX before it is extinct I just laughed at him, I went over to speak to the sales staff and they said the machine is the Saturn in disguise, so I said it's doing well in the US (is it?) and it is the underdog fighing the battle with the PS2 so they said I should move to US to be with my loyal fans

Then they started talking about the Game Cube which was showing Rogue Squadron it was one of the sale staffs own import machine, now I have to say Rogue Squadron is one killer game and does show off the GC, with the XBOX just 2 weeks before the launch all they were showing was Fusion Frenzy which I have to say does not show off anything and it is pretty crap.

GC will do well with the price but it does not have the same features on the XBOX I said can it play DVDs can you go on the internet does it have a harddrive to save games and copy your own CD to play with games NO

Then I had to go as it was my lunch break :)

What I really want to know how well is the XBOX doing over your side with the fight between the PS2 and GC:confused:

Huckleberry
03-23-2002, 10:32 AM
afro,

hang it there, man. i can tell you that there is no way that xbox will disappear like the ol' Saturn. the sales numbers for microsoft have been very good everywhere they have released, and just knowing microsoft, they're not gonna let this thing get beat by anyone.

the ps2 is a good machine...a worthy opponent, but definitely lacking in some areas...the same ones that you addressed regarding the gamecube. sony has years of experience and nearly the same clout that microsoft has, so it's doubtful that the ps series will ever go away.

the gamecube? well, i've played rogue squadron on a cube my friend won from amazon...it's not bad, but it freezes up fairly consistently. not the kind of thing you want to have happen from a new flagship console. something often overlooked re: the gamecube is that it plays off of 3 1/2 inch discs. it might not seem like much, but as the games start to get HUGE (i.e. morrowind/pe./kotor), they just won't be able to have the same data storage capabilities on their media. also, the thing looks, feels, and plays like it's made from stuff they found in the recycling bin. i think that of the three, nintendo has to go back to the drawing board most quickly if they desire to stay in the race.

developers are clamoring to start developing for the xbox, and some amazing games are coming because of it. aside from what looks like a great rpg future, there are new levels in sports games coming, racing games (find the thread in racing about the new formula 1 game...amazing!), and a myriad of others.

let your friends say what they like. this machine is not going anywhere...it's really not even grown up yet! it's like a baby to the developers, and as they start to understand the real capacity and capabilities of this machine, your friends will be begging you to let them play...at which point, you make them buy their own, and have Halo lan parties! (or unreal championship by then!):cool:

DBXNY
03-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Don't worry just yet....the Xbox gets biased opinions off the bat because it's made by Microsoft. Here in the U.S., I'd say a lot of the biased opinions degrade abit as folks begin to try out the system more and realize the unique gaming experience it delivers that neither the GC nor PS2 can. Now, PS2 still leads over here because of all the good games that has recently been released for it and the amount of available games overall, but X-box is definitely catching up to the PS2 in that regard quickly (with about at least 50 games available now after just 3 1/2 short months) - and from what I've seen, the biased bashing is diminishing. A funny experience is that my brother was a hardcore X-box basher. I didn't argue with him, but just asked him to try it out more. Once he looked at the X-box more objectively, he ended up seeing that it was the system he wanted.

More often than not, I even forget that the Gamecube even exists - mostly because it's appearing to be N64 redux with better graphics. I don't know about the UK, but here in the US, N64 came out with just one really good game and that was all there was for a very long stretch, and then some. Then I became bored with the constant repeating of the same themes.

The past few days I was curious so I snooped around the web to check out what some Gamecube owners were saying about their experience. I wasn't surprised to see many saying that it's been "collecting dust" and that they were upset about the constant push-back of the release dates for some of Nintendo's major titles.

I think Nintendo needs to abort their "basically-just-pretty-repetitive-and-mostly-kiddy-gaming" experience with few titles motto. This idea really only gives us a visual experience and gets boring pretty quick. Sony proved with the Playstation and PS2 that a more immersive gaming experience is more rewarding. Xbox built upon this idea and added even more to the equation - over double the visual quality, true surround sound with explosive bass, interactivity, and much more convenience. I was on the fence between Gamecube and Xbox at release time, but over the past few months, I'm so glad I went with X-box.

Next time you are in that HMV (is this the name?) store and see the clerks bashing the X-box, I suggest you ask them to tell you specifically why they think the way they do. I'm willing to bet that the majority of the answers will be very shallow - pointing the finger at the name "Microsoft"; judging the book by it's cover.

chili325
03-23-2002, 11:54 AM
It annoys me how people are biased against the xbox just because they dont like microsoft, or Bill Gates. Most of these people havent even tried a qualaty game. Invite them over to play halo and see what happens.

Afro Aura
03-23-2002, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys
Your right the XBOX has only been out 4.5 months never really thought about that and there a some seriously hot game on it, as some of these games are in the charts over here I mean Halo is 2nd place theres Dead or ALive 3, PGR, JSRF and so on and some are in the top 10 thats not bad for a machine that has only just been released, Halo was beaten by MGS2 to take top position but well every single PS2 owner was waiting for this game and its cousin MGS2 ripped hehehehe

I was just wondering as I've got 2 XBOXes one US the other PAL and with all the comments I seem to be getting is why did you do it, but I'm standing firm as the XBOX was made for the programmers with the stuff they needed inside for the gamer longer leads, 4 controller ports, internet and LAN no worrys about mermory cards, harddisk for no to little loading, music you can burn into the harddisk to play in games as I know that most of these car games have some horrible music in them or use it as a jukebox and DVD owners with better resolution (I'm taking this from looking at PS2 playing DVDs) and the built in DD processor inside for some sweeeeeet sound.

I know this machine will shine soon, the only problem is when....

Tell you the truth I just needed a booster thats all so thanks guys
and DBXNY yeah it was dude:D

Xboxfan123
03-23-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Afro Aura
I so fed up with H (with 2 other letters after the H and it's a record store) putting down the XBOX, I was in there today to talk to my friend (PS2 owner) and all he could say is I should sell my XBOX before it is extinct I just laughed at him, I went over to speak to the sales staff and they said the machine is the Saturn in disguise, so I said it's doing well in the US (is it?) and it is the underdog fighing the battle with the PS2 so they said I should move to US to be with my loyal fans

Then they started talking about the Game Cube which was showing Rogue Squadron it was one of the sale staffs own import machine, now I have to say Rogue Squadron is one killer game and does show off the GC, with the XBOX just 2 weeks before the launch all they were showing was Fusion Frenzy which I have to say does not show off anything and it is pretty crap.

GC will do well with the price but it does not have the same features on the XBOX I said can it play DVDs can you go on the internet does it have a harddrive to save games and copy your own CD to play with games NO

Then I had to go as it was my lunch break :)

What I really want to know how well is the XBOX doing over your side with the fight betwwen the PS2 and GC:confused:

The Xbox is selling well and is popular. Look at all the great games coming out. And they actually do come out so it's not empty promises.

I'm sure many of the store emplyees who bash the Xbox wish that they could buy one with thier often low wages and drool at the thought of owning one. We (as people) often hate or pretend to hate what we can't have.

Your friend is a PS2 fanboy and wishes he could trade his outdated system for an Xbox. Also your friend is sadly not a true friend. Look at all the games coming out for the Xbox and ask yourself if that sounds like system with one foot in the grave. What other console has launched with as many games as the Xbox did? The other person has a Gamecube. Don't ask a fox how to guard the henhouse. Right?

MOlsen
03-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Afro,

I have a couple of points other than the excellent ones made by previous posters.

First, Microsoft approached this from a very different thought process from Sony or Nintendo. The vision is this: Provide a good graphics and sound platform with a hard drive, DVD player, and broadband internet connection. Remove barriers to developers, so that their job is easier. Then provide a professional marketing approach. The result will be a unmatched gaming experience.

Not everything will come together all at once. First, MS needs a base following. That is what the launch is all about. Next, MS needs to remove barriers to game developing. This is why the Fonix and Zona deals are so important. Game developers have much less to worry about after these (landmark) agreements.

The third piece of the puzzle is broadband (In fact, I would not be suprised to see this as the decisive issue ... will enough people have broadband?). Broadband has been a slower to develope than expected, but can provide a gaming experience that simply has no peer. Dial-up modems simply cannot get the job done.

My recommendation to you is to find some way to get a broadband connection into your flat/apartment. It may be expensive, or tricky, but somehow, someway, get it. Then, when the MS broadband launches, invite your PS2 buddies over to play with ya. They will know, deep inside that the graphics are better. They will understand what voice communication can do, once they are wearing the headset.

Here in the US, it is going to take some time to equalize with PS2 in terms of sales per month. But the XBOX is selling very, very well here, and better overseas (Europe&Japan) than the whiners would lead you to believe. Don't worry, keep the faith mate.

Plewis
03-23-2002, 07:08 PM
I think PS2 is winning the battle, but xbox and gamecube are neck to neck just behind PS2. Xbox will definitely not die out though. Sorry, I thought you needed an unbiased opinion;)

EDIT- This was in sale not quality... in quality it goes XBOX, GCN, GBA, PS2 (ok, I am biased against PS2 but I wont lie about it. and yes I think GBA is as good as ps2):D

Afro Aura
03-23-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Plewis
I think PS2 is winning the battle, but xbox and gamecube are neck to neck just behind PS2. Xbox will definitely not die out though. Sorry, I thought you needed an unbiased opinion;)

EDIT- This was in sale not quality... in quality it goes XBOX, GCN, GBA, PS2 (ok, I am biased against PS2 but I wont lie about it. and yes I think GBA is as good as ps2):D
LOL I'm in the same boat with you mate over the PS2
I think what we need is that Projct Ego out there I'm sure that will turn some heads