PDA

View Full Version : jaggies

DenniZz81
03-24-2002, 03:35 AM
When playing on a widescreen tv the picture gets sligthly more jagged.... is there anthing that you could do about this?
i use the advanced scart cable.... i do have an svideo connection.
help pls!

i might just be to picky.....

Cynical Gamer
03-24-2002, 07:31 AM
Try turning down the sharpness on the tv. It usually helps.

-Cynical Gamer

Afro Aura
03-24-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by DenniZz81
When playing on a widescreen tv the picture gets sligthly more jagged.... is there anthing that you could do about this?
i use the advanced scart cable.... i do have an svideo connection.
help pls!

i might just be to picky.....
Hey dude theres nothing wrong being picky.
Sorry about the "Jaggies" I only see jaggies in Rallisport Challenge everything else is cool, don't change for SCART to S-Video as the SCART will give you an RGB picture, I dont think you can do anything about that, the only way is to REALLY down grade your picture into Composite aaagggrrrhh I don't think you'll see them after that, but I'm not sure as I'm never going to go down to that level of picture, or follow the information that Cynical Gamer said turn the Sharpness down

And Welcome Cynical Gamer it's nice to know your here to give some good advice, enjoy your stay mate:)

Hugh_Jass
03-24-2002, 09:47 AM
Use "Video Essentials", "DVD Platinum", or another television calibration system to ensure your HDTV is setup correctly.

I agree with those that have already responded. Most people have their sharpness set too high, which artificially CREATES jaggies that aren't in the original signal.

DenniZz81
03-24-2002, 11:54 AM
lower the sharpness... ok i will try it. But i thought jaggies were unavoidable beacause the image gets stretched...on a widescreen. but maybe i was wrong

i have a sharp "32" flatscreen 100hz widescreen.

LynxFX
03-25-2002, 03:58 PM
Remember that 90% of Xbox games are not widescreen enhanced so stretching the image to fill a 16x9 screen will create bigger jaggies than on a 4x3 screen.

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 04:10 PM
Lynxfx and Hugh_Jass make excellent points. But, I would also like to add that the games are only in 480p...just wait until we see 1080i !! To jaggies I say: "Tootles!" :D

DenniZz81
03-26-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
Lynxfx and Hugh_Jass make excellent points. But, I would also like to add that the games are only in 480p...just wait until we see 1080i !! To jaggies I say: "Tootles!" :D

hmmm... can i play those higher resolutions on my widescreen?
is hdtv and widescreen the same thing?

Hugh_Jass
03-26-2002, 11:39 AM

Widescreen can mean anything these days. It can mean a really big television (a.k.a., Big Screen) or a television with a 16x9 aspect ratio.

In any case, widescreen does not necessarily mean HDTV.

l Maximus l
03-26-2002, 12:31 PM

If your TV is an HDTV, it should be able to produce a resolution of 1080i, 720p, and 480p. Right now, there are no XBox games that support anything higher than 480p...not yet! But, when they do, you won't see any more jaggies, that's for sure!

Also, it's important to set your XBox settings on "yes" for 480p. That should improve it if it's not done already :)

DOOM
03-26-2002, 07:53 PM
LOL, You Wana See JaGgIes Check Out Virtual Fighter 4, OMG!!!
LOL!!!;)

Afro Aura
03-26-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by DOOM
LOL, You Wana See JaGgIes Check Out Virtual Fighter 4, OMG!!!
LOL!!!;)
I've been there and played it on the PS2 and I have to say it is a disgrace to the BEST beat 'em up ever, I hope Sega do a fanastic job on the VF4.1 for the XBOX

DenniZz81
03-27-2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

If your TV is an HDTV, it should be able to produce a resolution of 1080i, 720p, and 480p. Right now, there are no XBox games that support anything higher than 480p...not yet! But, when they do, you won't see any more jaggies, that's for sure!

Also, it's important to set your XBox settings on "yes" for 480p. That should improve it if it's not done already :)

there is no such thing under video....

Letterbox, widescreen, normal
and there is a box that asks you if your tv supports 60fps.

DenniZz81
03-27-2002, 07:21 AM
i dont know the jaggies is not big at all.... but i sure can see them... i dont know
maybe I´ll switch back to a regular tv...

El Pollo Loco
03-27-2002, 08:35 AM
where can I get Video Essentials or DVD Platinum?

JJaX
03-27-2002, 10:20 AM
My pointless response
WE SHOULD KILL ALL THE DAM JAGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugh_Jass
03-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by El Pollo Loco
where can I get Video Essentials or DVD Platinum?

Ultimate DVD: Platinum (http://www.dvdexpress.com/product_movies.asp?type=Movie&PRODUCTNUMBER=11598)

Video Essentials (http://www.dvdexpress.com/product_movies.asp?type=Movie&PRODUCTNUMBER=1291)

l Maximus l
03-27-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

Ultimate DVD: Platinum (http://www.dvdexpress.com/product_movies.asp?type=Movie&PRODUCTNUMBER=11598)

Video Essentials (http://www.dvdexpress.com/product_movies.asp?type=Movie&PRODUCTNUMBER=1291)

Hey, Hugh...does Video Essentials calibrate an HDTV? Because, I need to do this to mine :)

LynxFX
03-27-2002, 03:24 PM
Yeah Max, that is the one I was telling you about when you got your new set. Video Essentials or AVIA. AVIA being more user friendly. VE has a mess of a menu system but both let you calibrate both your tv and your sound system.