PDA

View Full Version : xbox vs my comp

king cadaver
03-24-2002, 08:24 AM
nah they are both great, i have a monster 2 gig ,geforce 3, 516 ram computor..but i also got an x-box..its the best thing to happen to console gameing for a long long time.
i think sonys machines are just marketing tools more about hype
than pushing forward the gaming expeirence

Xbox Owner
03-24-2002, 09:32 AM
ummm..ok?

Hugh_Jass
03-24-2002, 09:56 AM
I gave up on PC gaming. I got tired (and poor) from upgrading all of the time.

The XBOX gives me a wonderfully static platform. It's the sane and economic choice for PC gamers everywhere. :)

Wreckless
03-24-2002, 11:46 AM
Welcome, king cadaver, to the XBA forums!!!

FeelinDandy
03-24-2002, 03:27 PM
Yeah - this is the arguement I had with myself (identity crisis?) before getting the xbox - cos, some games they just don't put out on the PC - so I had to get the xbox!!!

Piccolo_DBz
03-24-2002, 07:58 PM
My xbox would kick my pc's ass in games and online gaming. But when it comes to web surfing and anything in that area my Pc reigns supreme. hehe :D

Halo of Flies
03-24-2002, 09:12 PM
My XBox wins the war over my PC. When I switch my XBox on I know it's gonna work!

El Pollo Loco
03-24-2002, 09:44 PM
I've been PC gaming since the original where in the worls is carmen sandiego in cga, and I don't even use my pc for games since I've gotten my xbox. The pc can't compete with the xbox and a 47" hdtv :) And I don't need a 500 grafx card every 6 months.

NomadLLama
03-24-2002, 11:24 PM
my computer is a peon, a piece of crap compared to xbox. 350mhz amd k6-2, 184 megs RAM, 4mb grafix chipset! in fact, it can;t even run the original Midtown Madness on it without problems. actually, it can run it, but when I steer the car, it freezes the screen, and when it is refreshed, i crashed 5 seconds ago. sad isn't it. also my comuter only has a 4GB harddrive!! glad im getting a new one in the summer.

Skarp
03-25-2002, 03:38 AM
I'd have to say my computer is just as good as the xbox, but then again the xbox has a more social atmosphere, which I am more, so it is more useful

E-Vader
03-25-2002, 05:34 AM
The PC has one big advantage over all consoles, CONTROLS.

I can get used to using a controller on games like Halo but nothing comes close to keyboard/mouse combo.

Plus all the other stuff I have plugged in force feedback joystick (this rocks with Mechwarrior) and the strategic commander (I wonder if Microsoft will bring out an Xbox version of this when more strategic games come out?)

Then again consoles have one big advantage over the PC BIG SCREEN.

faz
03-25-2002, 09:46 AM
i have been a pc gamer all my life..i have a very powerful computer powered by an amd 1800+ chip 256mb ram, a 64 mb ati radeon, a dvd drive, a tdk cd rewriter and a 5.1 sb audigy platinum ex sound card and while gaming it doesnt come even close to the xbox...when i got the xbox first i thought the controls would suck while playing halo as i thought it was impossible to have a fps with good controls on a console..the xbox proved me wrong....

the main advantage of consoles over the pc is compatiblity..there is no worry about that blue screen which flashes when u try to play some games..also no hassles of installing...

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 10:05 AM
I've always been, mainly, a console gamer primarily because I know for a fact that when I shove in a game that it is going to work! But, more importantly, sitting on my couch sure beats the crap out of my desk chair :D

JJaX
03-25-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
I've always been, mainly, a console gamer primarily because I know for a fact that when I shove in a game that it is going to work! But, more importantly, sitting on my couch sure beats the crap out of my desk chair :D

Hell yeah, Comfort is half the battle. Beer(check), smokes(check), Herbs(check).

Pc games are great but i hate going through installations and worrying if its gonna run good on the PC. But I love PC games too. I played Unreal tournament last week and the frame rate was sooo smooth. I guess seeing halos 30 FPS vs UTs 60+ is a difference i never really noticed.

But console gaming is the SheeT.

Afro Aura
03-25-2002, 11:06 AM
I only use my PC for the internet and thats it!!! There are loads of games for the PC with some of them coming to the XBOX and I'd rather sit in my big sofa and feel nice an comfortable playing the game on my XBOX through my cool 36" 100hz DRC TV, than sitting in a chair looking straight at a 17" monitor:cool:

I'm a tea and biscuit man myself

LynxFX
03-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Well I bought the Xbox with the idea of not having to upgrade my pc to keep up with gaming on it. But now 4 months after owning the Xbox I think I might have to build a new pc anyway.

I love gaming online and the pc still owns that department especially since it is free and I have my trusty keyboard and mouse for FPS.

I'll still give the MS online network a chance and maybe even pay for a month to see how it is but if it isn't anything better than gaming on the pc then I'll stick with that and stick with split screen gaming on the console with a friend or two.

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Well I bought the Xbox with the idea of not having to upgrade my pc to keep up with gaming on it. But now 4 months after owning the Xbox I think I might have to build a new pc anyway.

I love gaming online and the pc still owns that department especially since it is free and I have my trusty keyboard and mouse for FPS.

I'll still give the MS online network a chance and maybe even pay for a month to see how it is but if it isn't anything better than gaming on the pc then I'll stick with that and stick with split screen gaming on the console with a friend or two.

Understandable...but, I would like to remind you that with the new XBox Communicator, you will be able to communicate to your Team members, for example, if you are playing a round of Unreal Championship Capture the Flag :D What is really cool with the Communicator, as I understand it, is that you will be able to select who can hear you, who you want to hear from, etc...in addition, you can manipulate your voice so you are being heard as someone who has a voice ranging from the likes from Pee Wee Herman to Chubaka on Star Wars :D

I can't WAIT for the on-line network to launch!! WOOO HOOOOO!!! :D

LynxFX
03-25-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Understandable...but, I would like to remind you that with the new XBox Communicator, you will be able to communicate to your Team members, for example, if you are playing a round of Unreal Championship Capture the Flag :D What is really cool with the Communicator, as I understand it, is that you will be able to select who can hear you, who you want to hear from, etc...in addition, you can manipulate your voice so you are being heard as someone who has a voice ranging from the likes from Pee Wee Herman to Chubaka on Star Wars :D

I can't WAIT for the on-line network to launch!! WOOO HOOOOO!!! :D

I hear ya Maximus. But the thing is that you could already do that with the PC. I did that two years ago in UT touraments when I was in a clan. We just used Roger Wilco. Worked great and it does add alot to a team based game. It didn't have voice alteration though, which sounds cool. :)

My biggest complaint is not having a keyboard and mouse and the idea that I'm going to have to pay for gaming online. Sure it isn't much but it is enough to keep me from playing, as well as many other gamers out there who are accustomed to playing for free.

I don't know, it is going to be an interesting battle and like I said, if MS brings something new to the table and makes their network worth paying for then I'll give it a look. But if it is the same ol same ol then I'll be back on the PC playing UT2.