PDA

View Full Version : Online with Gamespy

flipmode64
03-24-2002, 08:33 PM
I have my Xbox hooked up to my network card through a crossover cable and my actual cable internet is hooked up through my usb. When i join a game on gamespy, i can see the game in HALO but when i go to join it it always says " unable to connect to system link game", why is this? in the tunnel chat everyones ping is alwasy like 10000 (tenthousand yes) or more.
is there somthing wrong with my hookup?

Thanks for anyhelp!!

Frostberg
03-24-2002, 08:47 PM
do you have a firewall?

flipmode64
03-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Nope.
i just bought the network card today
its a linksys.
it seems as if something is not right cus the pings in the games i conenct to or in the tousadns and mostly ten thousands pings

ShannonX
03-24-2002, 09:08 PM
make sure your gamespy tunnel configuration is set so the network card on your computer is the one you are using.

i have a 2 NIC setup with a hub, and i have to set my network card that hooks to the hub as my "network card" to use in the tunnel configuration.

I'm sure you tried that, just thought i'd through out a couple of suggestions in case you hadn't thought of it yet.

flipmode64
03-24-2002, 09:11 PM
I selceted in gamespy the one that goes to my xbox (linksys)
my cable internet goes to my USB port.
or do i choose that one/>

flipmode64
03-24-2002, 09:17 PM
P.S.
I am using a CROSSOVER cable from my network card to my xbox
is this the right one????

Frostberg
03-24-2002, 09:25 PM
a crossover cable is fine for a direct connection from xbox to NIC...make sure your PC recognizes the NIC, and see if it changes when you turn on the Xbox

Do you have Win XP?

flipmode64
03-24-2002, 09:29 PM
how would i check it to see if it chanegds when i trn on my xbox?
liek if it gets an error in the system thing in control panel?

i jsut need to figure out why my ping is so nasty

flipmode64
03-24-2002, 09:30 PM
for the properties for my network card
do i have to have anything special in there??
cus there is nothing in there i have changed

BlackTJ
03-25-2002, 09:21 AM
Bad news man... I NEVER got my set-up to work that way... after much research, I'm not sure anyone has. It's called the "USB disease" on alot of forums. I went out and bought a hub and ran the cable modem with the cat5 straight to the hub, then the NIC, then just plug the xbxo into the hub via a regular cat5, not crossover. Online goodness.

BTW, in the two weeks I tried to make it work, I never found anyone who ran that set-up and made it work. No one.

Also, check out www.XboxConnector.com when you get tired of the lag and the cretin at Gamespy

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 10:09 AM
Actually, that set up will work...I've seen it. But, please tell me that you are not using AOL! :eek: I know that AOL won't work.

Also, when you plug in your Crossover cable into your XBox, is there a green LED light that turns on above the input behind the XBox? If it doesn't, then, it's possible that the Crossover cable is faulty. This happened to me at first...I just replaced it with a new one. :)

terrapin
03-25-2002, 10:20 AM
Maximus, do you still play at Gamespy? I read in another thread that you went to Xboxconnector. Just wondering which one you recommend. Finally got my internet connection back and it's broadband to beat.

JJaX
03-25-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
Actually, that set up will work...I've seen it. But, please tell me that you are not using AOL! :eek: I know that AOL won't work.

HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR! HAR!

AOL for online gaming!??! You must be MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont even try........

Xtopia
03-25-2002, 11:04 AM
Maximus, do you still play at Gamespy? I read in another thread that you went to Xboxconnector. Just wondering which one you recommend. Finally got my internet connection back and it's broadband to beat

Use xboxconnector. Despite what maximus says, XBC is better. The new version took some getting used to but it is fine now. And max, you said you had lag that one night...well try again....I think it wast just weird that one night. Whenever a new version comes out...every thing is a bit whack...Come back to XBC!

BlackTJ
03-25-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by xtopia

Use xboxconnector. Despite what maximus says, XBC is better. The new version took some getting used to but it is fine now. And max, you said you had lag that one night...well try again....I think it wast just weird that one night. Whenever a new version comes out...every thing is a bit whack...Come back to XBC!

Agreed, 107%.

:D

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by terrapin
Maximus, do you still play at Gamespy? I read in another thread that you went to Xboxconnector. Just wondering which one you recommend. Finally got my internet connection back and it's broadband to beat.

Hey, Terrapin! Yeah, I am on Gamespy because of a recent disappointment with XBC...however, I understand that it may have been screwy on the day that I was having trouble, as Xtopia mentioned. I'll try XBC again to see if the bugs are worked out.

I find that Gamespy is much easier to organize people. But, when I was using XBC before things went screwy, XBC was 10 times better when it comes to lagging issues. For example, when I played on XBC (XBoxconnector), I played with a group of people in which a total of four XBoxes were on-line and there was no lag! And, I wasn't even hosting!!! Man, that was some good times :D

I'll probably use both...either way, my identification name is [XBA]-Maximus :)

By the way, terrapin...it's nice to see you back, bud!!

baggachipz
03-25-2002, 12:01 PM
So, yeah I still haven't tried Halo online yet... pure laziness on my part :o

Anyway, I went to xboxconnector.com and it 404's! Hopefully they've just hit a technical snafu, and haven't instead been shut down...

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by baggachipz
So, yeah I still haven't tried Halo online yet... pure laziness on my part :o

Anyway, I went to xboxconnector.com and it 404's! Hopefully they've just hit a technical snafu, and haven't instead been shut down...

I strongly recommend getting on-line as soon as yesterday! You have no idea what you are missing!! As for XBoxconnector, I'm sure it was a minor technical issue, nothing more. If XBC is down, just get on Gamespy! :)

BlackTJ
03-25-2002, 12:25 PM
Actually, check out www.xbconnect.com Same people, different type of software, they may have left www.xboxconnector.com behind... version 99g is up now and IT ROCKS.... check out the screen grabs of the new prog.

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by BlackTJ
Actually, check out www.xbconnect.com Same people, different type of software, they may have left www.xboxconnector.com behind... version 99g is up now and IT ROCKS.... check out the screen grabs of the new prog.

Wow, XBoxconnect must be new, because that is different from XBoxconnector. I have the new software version, .99, from XBoxconnector, however, this is different! I'll check this out when I get home :)

terrapin
03-25-2002, 02:12 PM
Maximus, Glad to be back and see that you are still here stronger than ever.

As for Xbconnector what OS do you need? I thought I read somewhere that it is currently only compatible with linux and that you need a HUB and not a switch for it to work. Is this correct? That new website xboxconnect doesn't have a lot of info.

baggachipz
03-25-2002, 02:58 PM
I have win2k and just downloaded and installed xbconnect. We'll see how it works...

baggachipz
03-25-2002, 03:19 PM
:confused:

Ok, so I tried it, but there didn't appear to be anyone else on using it. It also seemed to have trouble detecting my xbox, so hmph. Since their site is very barebones (the FAQ section has the same header as the about section and no other info), I'm trying gamespy. Just clicking on halo and trying to get to the point where can even try to browse games seems to be taking an insane amount of time. And it's not just hanging, it's receiving data at near my dsl line's capacity. Anyone else experience this?

:mad:

baggachipz
03-25-2002, 03:21 PM
Just clicking on halo and trying to get to the point where can even try to browse games seems to be taking an insane amount of time. And it's not just hanging, it's receiving data at near my dsl line's capacity. Anyone else experience this?

:mad: [/B]

Spoke too soon. I had to click past their stupid ad's. my bad :o

JJaX
03-25-2002, 03:29 PM
You know whats funny!?

I told Maximus how to get up and running with Gamespy. Now he spreads his knowledge like JJaX sprays his rounds on Blood gulch.

Keep up the good work WaXimuS!!!
;)

*JJaX Wipes tear from Eye

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
You know whats funny!?

I told Maximus how to get up and running with Gamespy. Now he spreads his knowledge like JJaX sprays his rounds on Blood gulch.

Keep up the good work WaXimuS!!!
;)

*JJaX Wipes tear from Eye

hehehe...Dude, and I appreciate all of your help! I had no idea what I was missing until I got on Gamespy! I'm trying to recruit as many people as possible to get on-line that are from this website. It is so much fun to play against people from XBA because we converse all the time!

Hey, JJax...check your PM...I sent you some interesting news :)

baggachipz
03-25-2002, 04:07 PM
I wonder... does everyone get this frustrated with gamespy before actually playing?! I join games, they launch, and I select them in halo... only to get the message that I "couldn't join the selected system link game"!!! Arrgh!

Yeah, I'm running zonealarm. But, it's the new version of ZA pro, where you can give applications free reign on your ports... as I did. I consider myself a pretty savvy user, but this is rediculous.

Anyway, I downloaded the lastest upgrade of zonealarm, and now I can't even see the games listed on gamespy (but I can chat). I'd disable ZA, but I really need to keep it running. I host a couple sites off my dsl connection, and recently got hacked because I didn't have a firewall running. Bad stuff. Thoughts everyone?

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 04:16 PM
I wonder... does everyone get this frustrated with gamespy before actually playing?! I join games, they launch, and I select them in halo... only to get the message that I "couldn't join the selected system link game"!!! Arrgh!

Yeah, I'm running zonealarm. But, it's the new version of ZA pro, where you can give applications free reign on your ports... as I did. I consider myself a pretty savvy user, but this is rediculous.

Anyway, I downloaded the lastest upgrade of zonealarm, and now I can't even see the games listed on gamespy (but I can chat). I'd disable ZA, but I really need to keep it running. I host a couple sites off my dsl connection, and recently got hacked because I didn't have a firewall running. Bad stuff. Thoughts everyone?

Dude, something isn't right. I never have had any problems while on Gamespy.... :confused:

Xtopia
03-25-2002, 04:53 PM
Oh...and i just had to say it...I beat Fanosflip on XBC last night! just had to say it...sorry fanosflip...I owned you! Muwhahahahaha!!!!

baggachipz
03-25-2002, 04:56 PM
ok, so i finally got it to work... AFTER i shut off zonealarm :mad:

Yeah, the last thing i wanted to do...

anyway, i got killed! my main prob (other than my lack of skill) was the lag. It wouldn't start shooting until at least 1/2 sec after I pulled the trigger. Other guy didn't seem to have such probs :o

maybe it's cause he was in BC, and I'm in VA?

Xtopia
03-25-2002, 05:01 PM
baggachipz...got to Xboxconnector! There is much less lag! Oh, and the host never has any lag...so that is why you'r opponent did not seem to be affected. PM if you need help w/XBC:)

l Maximus l
03-25-2002, 05:04 PM
maybe it's cause he was in BC, and I'm in VA?

Uh, that would definately cause a problem! :D I strongly recommend playing against someone that is atleast on the East Coast if you are in Virginia. :) Less lag issues.

Also, try www.xboxconnector.com as Xtopia stated. People communicate through IRC which you can download free at www.mirc.com . Just go to the #XBC room. :)

baggachipz
03-25-2002, 05:06 PM
Ok, i do have xbconnect running, and it has its own chat area so no need for mirc. I'll let you know how it goes!

baggachipz
03-25-2002, 05:34 PM
Yeah, just played a game with 4 players (3 xboxes) on xbconnect and it was smooth. Of course, I still lost like before so I guess I don't have the lag excuse anymore! :D

This whole process is still very much in its infancy, I can't wait 'till the wrinkles are ironed out!