PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Online

Calve
03-25-2002, 09:51 PM
Hey!! All of you people that play xbox online I have a question!!!

1. How many kilobytes does ur internet download a second??

2. How many people have you played against in Halo with no lag??

Thanx!!

Calve :)

Frostberg
03-25-2002, 10:02 PM
kilobytes? Say 150-200

People? About 14 max including me

Calve
03-25-2002, 10:04 PM
do u think i could play 16 people with 400k a second???? im getting new internet so im just wondering????

Frostberg
03-25-2002, 10:14 PM
Are you sure you arent mixing up kilobits and kilobytes?

400 kilobytes is MAD

Now if your talking about Gamespy or something, then you will need at least a t1 to host games with over 10 people...you can still join large games, providing no one in there is a moron who has a terrible connection that lags the rest of you up...

MS Online you wont have to worry, because you wouldnt be hosting games...MS would provide the servers as part of your payment to them...plus games wont be so demanding because they will be actually be made for large amounts of people and more efficient connections to allow less bandwidth needed...

Calve
03-25-2002, 10:19 PM
dude thx!!!!

but can you check this out and tell me if i can host games n crap!!! is it fast enuff to play with lots of people?!?!?!?!? check it out man !!!! id appreciate it!!!!!!!!

http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf?origin=*.jsp&event=link(goto)&content=/jsp/content/personal/catalog/satellites/direcpc/index.jsp&REF=L_INT_SATINT

LynxFX
03-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Plus Halo is a bad game to compare for online gaming. It wasn't made with the intention of playing online but rather with the full bandwidth of a lan. The games for the MS online network should be optimised and not have such high requirements as Halo currently does.

Calve
03-25-2002, 10:21 PM
wait that link wont work!!!!

go to express vu .com then internet access then satelite internet on the right hand side of the page

Calve
03-25-2002, 10:25 PM
this is waht it says!!!!

Get on the Internet with Bell ExpressVu's DirecPC® Satellite Edition, "Surf Unlimited Connection Time" monthly rate plan and start surfing at speeds you've only imagined. DirecPC® Satellite Edition (SE) offers Unlimited High Speed Satellite Internet Connection Time at speed up to 400 kilobits/sec to virtually everyone in Canada with a phone line and an ISP connection - including Canadians who don't have access to other high speed Internet options such as Cable or DSL.

GOOD OR BAD!?!?!??!?!?:confused:

LynxFX
03-25-2002, 10:28 PM
Let's just say it will work. It doesn't mention your up speed which is the biggest factor in hosting a game. But I probably wouldn't host a game with more than 4 people total. It should be fine for the actual network though.

Frostberg
03-25-2002, 10:40 PM
I dunno Lynx, it says
"with a phone line and an ISP connection" which leads me to believe that upload is not provided, and that you use a 56k modem for uploading and use the Sat for downloading...

Calve, does it say anythere that this is a 2 way Satellite? For both uploading and downloading? Check if you can find 2 different speeds...if not, you are probably best to wait for cable or DSL, as Satelite isint good for games anyway, due to the delay and notorious packet loss...and over slow connection...I like to think of Satellite as "An expensive 56k modem breeded with a fake broadband connection" You can probably only expect to download at 50kilobytes...which isint probably worth the inflated price you are paying for it. In the states, Satellite starts at $50, and that is the 1 way POS...considering cable or DSL is the same price and offer speeds of possibly 4 times better, not to mention no equipment costs, and they do both up and down...you should investigate a little more before your purchase...

LynxFX
03-25-2002, 11:16 PM
My bad, I didn't even notice that this was a Direct PC connection. I missed that sentence. :)

Sorry Calve but I don't think this will work for you since the Sat systems do require a phoneline for your up connection, ie. 56k.

Definately seek out alternate connections.

Skarp
03-26-2002, 11:49 AM
I get roughly 500-1000 kb's and it works fine. Got to love the T1 connection

DZNUTZ
03-26-2002, 12:07 PM
how much does dsl get?

thejoker
03-26-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
how much does dsl get?

The speed of DSL allows performance up to 50 times greater than conventional modems, and 10 times greater than ISDN(128k - 2 channels). DSL speeds range from a little faster than ISDN to T1 Speeds. With a standard 56k Modem, running over a conventional phone line, a file my take 30 minutes to download. On ISDN, that same file would take around 12 to 14 minutes to download. On a DSL line running at full speed, however, that same file would take ONLY 45 SECONDS to download. With this greatly improved speed, more things can be done and productivity will be improved.

You have diffrent DSL you can get, like xDSL, aDSL, sDSL and a few more. Speeds also vary... 768Kbps, 512Kbps, 384Kbps, and 256Kbps.

I guess the reason I know this is because I am a Network Engineer and will have my CCNA as soon as I finish my Cisco classes.

Hope this helps!

Later,
JayT - the.JOKER

DZNUTZ
03-26-2002, 03:48 PM
thanx for the info.

Calve
03-26-2002, 05:13 PM
well thanx for the info guys :)

ya ill wait for dsl or cable!!!!!!

these summer holidays ill have to go to my dads work a couple days cause he has T1!!!

cya and thanx:)