PDA

View Full Version : How do we rate players

Yolo
03-27-2002, 06:38 PM
OK here's a topic to discuss. Since most of us play with new people all the time, I think we need a way to rate players. A way to rank people to make our teams fair. Usually it's done after the first game and reading the stat sheet. But like you might have known (or read from my Halo 2 ideas) these stats don't include much info for ranking. How would you rate people?

Here's some random thoughts of mine -

You have WTF People -
The experts. You are convinced these guys are playing at home all day, non-stop. The player's name who is screamed out the most during game play and makes your blood boil. They usually kill you with the pistol from across the field or end up humiliating you with the Melee.

The Halo Addict-
The above average player. They actual change the sensitivity on the controller. Usually high kill count. They have good skills, knowing which gun to use where and generally good instincts.

The Not You Again People -
Average in skills. No immediate threat to you but they have been known to kill you and still need to dealt with.

The Spirit Meter Feeders -
This name (I can't take credit for) is for those players or rookies, for when you are in a rut and your ego is bruised you find them running in circles, move in for the kill, boom your spirit meter just went up.

E Nomini Patri
03-27-2002, 07:12 PM
I would rate myself "The Halo Addict ", while my friends that play are "The Not You Again People." But that's just comparing me to them. If I could play on-line against some of the people I've heard of here, I'd probably be a spirit feeder since I haven't played multiplayer much. Although I have beat Halo on all difficulties, including Legendary (I just love saying that :)).

Tiger
03-27-2002, 10:38 PM
How would you rank me Yolo? :)

Tiger

Xtopia
03-27-2002, 11:08 PM
I don't get it!?! Does the "Circle" meet in a home/apartment or play over the net? If it is over the net ill def. play! I play on the net whenever I get a free moment! Oh, and ya, I would consider myself to be the WTF player!;)

Huckleberry
03-28-2002, 02:05 AM
first of all, welcome to the xba forums, tiger! you'll like it here!

second, you're definitely a wtf player. until you joined the circle, i only had reaper to account for on the map. now, i feel like rainman!

Huckleberry
03-28-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by xtopia
I don't get it!?! Does the "Circle" meet in a home/apartment or play over the net?

sorry, xtopia...it's not on the web. we have about 20 different people that show up at my house every monday night for halo (we also get together on any possible holiday or weekend...like this saturday). it's to the point that we sometimes have to set up a second lan downstairs. anyway, out of all those that attend, there is a group of us that has either been gaming together for years or has recently joined but whose level of play is extraordinary (i.e. tiger). those people are in the circle. there's probably more like 15, but it just doesn't sound the same ;-)

if you're ever in chicago, let me know...you can come to one of the halofests...and that goes for any of you!

Tiger
03-28-2002, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the welcome Huckleberry. Thanks for the compliments as well:) I'd certainly put you and Yolo in the higher ranking of Halo players as well. Come to think of it, I don't feel we have that many "spirit feeders" at all! Almost everyone who attends on Monday nights is a formidable opponent. I try to not take anyone lightly.

Reaper wasn't there on Monday was he? I just realized I don't remember seeing him at all.

Tiger

jumper
03-29-2002, 12:42 AM
First let me say that Tiger is a name that I have heard many times since his arrival at CO12. I've yelled it in anger a few to many times in post death angst, you know... the fifteen seconds between dying and new life. Most of the 12 are either at WTF or getting very close.

Second, a question. Is there a ranking in your system that allows for WTF one day and spirit meter feeder the next? Ok, maybe the swing is not that drastic but I have done it and seen others do it. It make choosing teams on the first round interesting because you don't know what you or other are going to do.

As far as using the stats, you have to go with kill to death ratios or just best numbers in those to categories. Why? Because if you use flags, you allow the player who carries the flag the two or three steps for a score to be considered one of the best. This could be a spirit meter feeder and everyone who got the flag all the way across the map is ignored. The only arguement to this theory is the fact that runners end up with less kills than snipers and defenders but they are usually more capable of running with the flag than the others.

Maybe a running record is needed. What do you think?

jumper
03-29-2002, 11:13 AM
i moved this to the Circle Of Twelve thread

Ted_E_Behr
04-01-2002, 09:27 AM
I myself am a WTF, the other people I play against are one of each, and a couple more spirit feeders.

JJaX
04-01-2002, 10:31 AM
Im a WTF palyer...

Ill take your whole squad too...........

Yolo
04-04-2002, 06:44 PM
I think Kills to Deaths ratio is definately a good stat to rank by. Right now I usually hover around 1.2 - 1.5. And yet sometimes to get those high kill counts, you have to do a little dyin'.

But I am looking for some creativity here folks. What would be some fun names for classifing people and how do you reach that conclusion???

Put your thinking caps on.

bonk
04-04-2002, 07:14 PM
I would say that I'm between the WTF player and the Addict. I can do more than an addict, but I'm not so good on multiplayer. I think there should be another type of people who do crazy tricks and secrets in Halo. I myself have found some cool stuff, like freezing marines etc etc. I've documented most of my discoveries and Warthog launching adventures at my site, iBonk.com (http://ibonk.com). But I'm not the best, a guy named Frogblast from HBO (http://halo.bungie.org) is way better than me, he's got some real odd stuff goin on.

-bonk

Yolo
04-04-2002, 07:22 PM
Thanks for your replies, really. But maybe I'm not being clear here. What I would like is for us here at XBA to make new names up. I am not too fond of WTF or addict. I want to here how YOU would name people, not what kind of player you are...

Sorry for the confusion.

NsomniA
04-05-2002, 09:38 AM
I'm probably somewhere above Halo Addict. At the LAN parties I go to, I'm the best, but that's just around here. I play online with someone like [TS]Inkslinger and it's a different story.

The Reverend
04-09-2002, 12:55 PM
Spirit Meter Feeders is a keeper obviously. It is a proud day when you graduate to the next level. As for the rest of the names, that is tough. Not sure where to go with the names. WTF is definetley not a keeper and addict makes it seem like we are addicted. I can stop whenever I want too. I just don't want too. This is a tough one taht I think we will need to get some more input on

Stiffy
04-09-2002, 01:38 PM
Hey boys and girls,

I'm all up for a little name changin'. I think the best way to figure this out is to keep our ears keen to the conversation that happens during our Halo fests. After all, that's how the term "Spirit meter feeder" was born. The way we act, I'm pretty certain that someone will say something next Monday that will make us stop in our tracks and say, "That's our new WTF replacement name!"

Agree?

In other news, I was proud to be what I call Bungie's Beyatch last night: which is about two levels below the Spirit Meter Feeder category. I just couldn't get my freak on last night. One more thing...we GOTTA figure out a better way for all to play. Heck, I'll even pitch in for another 'box and TV just so we ain't waitin' around.

Agree?

Yolo
04-09-2002, 01:44 PM
I am in agreement that spirit meter feeders must stay; maybe use it's cool acronym, SMF. But then again someone might mistake it for a singles ad for hermaphrodites. I'm just sayin'...

Mantis
04-09-2002, 02:34 PM
FROM JUMPER: "Second, a question. Is there a ranking in your system that allows for WTF one day and spirit meter feeder the next? Ok, maybe the swing is not that drastic but I have done it and seen others d it."

Gee Jumper, who could you be talking about here? Could it be the fact that I came in third the first game, and then the last game I had 17 kills and 53 DEATHS with no flag return??? It happens sometimes (I hope)... Maybe it's just because I'm a girl :p

Anyhow, Tiger, I found myself screaming your name far too often for my own taste last night. Great playing, it's nice to have you around. I'm glad to see your ego can still fit nicely into Huck's house.

Yolo, I'm all about hearing what people have to say about ranking. It should be interesting to see what people come up with.

jumper
04-11-2002, 09:02 PM
Last Monday, Reaper got the quote from the game that you get when you kill like 10 in a row. I don't remember what it is but could we use that or part of it to replace WTF?

Mantis, I wasn't thinking of you but if you'd like we could call that the "MP" for Mantis Player. I was thinking more along the lines of HAD for Halo Aiming Disordered. Or DICHOTOMY for dichotomy.

Are there other things from the game that we could use, Headshot, etc.?

Yolo
04-12-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by jumper
Last Monday, Reaper got the quote from the game that you get when you kill like 10 in a row. I don't remember what it is but could we use that or part of it to replace WTF?

That would be "Killtacular"

maybe KTs?

jumper
04-12-2002, 08:48 PM
I have personally never gotten Killtacular(the reason I couldn't remember) and I haven't heard many but that doesn't mean we can't use it.

KT sounds like a girls name. No offense Mantis, it just doesn't fit the masterchief.

KTC or KTAC would work.

Plewis
04-14-2002, 08:38 PM
I dont just think that people should be rated on their skill... but their style... like Sniping Steve, Rocket Whore, Vehicle Venny, hand to hand harry, or grenade greggory... ok so they are stupid but you can change them... but I think thats a good idea. I am a hand to hand man.. and when I know they are gonna kill me i usually try to take em down with me by sticking a plasma grenade on them... and if they dont notice it and start laughing at me i just sit there for a second till they die... and then start cracking up. I have been working on the rockets for a little while... and have gotten pretty good at leading people... but I still shot a lot of rockets right past people even though I know to aim at their feet.:( im not good with vehicles... heck... i couldnt beat halo on legendary because I cant get the warthog there in time:(

ShannonX
04-14-2002, 08:47 PM
i perfer hand to hand also....turn off sniping and just have the other weapons, and i do really well, turn sniping on, and i get ****ed real quick, enough to throw my controller against the wall or whatever is in its way first (tv, xbox, person, chair).... so whenever i host a game, its always sniping off. I hate it, i dont play it. period.

In a normal game, if i have 20 kills (team slayer) 15 - 18 of them will be via melee attack. Just how i prefer killing.

Plewis
04-14-2002, 09:51 PM
i dont like to turn off sniping all together because I like the pistol... although I am not as good as my friend... he can pick you off running in blood gultch at the tower... when you have a fricken sniper rifle:( he either takes you out with headshots from that long of range... or gets your health down... and kills you when you are running for the health pack. I hate it... I usually hide till he gets close and take him out with a plasma rifle... or when he gets close go through the portal pick up a rocket launcher then try and get him with that. I was just wondering what you guys do to avoid rockets... at long range I usually change direction... and at short range I jump... and hope. I have gotten some pretty good jumps. I have actually gotten to the second level in derelict avoiding a grenade:D I have also flown almost all the way across the middle thingy when jumping because of a rocket launcher.

Yolo
04-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Plewis
I dont just think that people should be rated on their skill... but their style... like Sniping Steve, Rocket Whore, Vehicle Venny, hand to hand harry, or grenade greggory... ok so they are stupid but you can change them... but I think thats a good idea. :(

Man, sounds like we could bring back the Garbage Pail Kids in Halo form. Sweeeeeeeeeeett!!!

Englishguy
04-15-2002, 11:58 PM
Ok Gents and gentiles, here's some suggestions for rank and player types in the wonderfull world of Halo.

Let us begin with the best player type:

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (D.R. Scoundrels): These are the fellas that just play way too much. The Doctors of Halo. They are surgical in their play. I'm talking about the dude that falls asleep at the conrols of Halo, wakes up in the morning with the control still in his hands, wipes the drool off his chin, and resumes play. They are typically so good, that it is difficult for a lesser player to have any fun playing against them, unless they are drunk, high, or otherwise inebriated.

Real Man: This type of player is just all around good. Frustrating for lesser players to play against, yet still competitive against the big boys. Doesn't quit either. Will stick it out even though he is losing to a superior player. Then, in the next game, on a level he knows (which is at least 75% of them), will work you like an bangkok hooker on a saturday night in a marines barracks. Knows what he's good at and exploits it when he can.

Cartmans: Think they are bad asses but in actuality are only moderately talented. This is a common breed of Halo player. They typically host rooms with names like "Come and get butt-raped," or the more generic, "Undefeated. Try us if you dare." Overall, Cartmans usually quit when they are getting whupped and complain of "too much lag" even though the pings are around 20. The Cartmans of this world are still better than the average player unfortunately simply because of the amount of time they put in.

Neckties: The casual Halo gamers. They sit down to play on occasion and typically know the game, what to do, where to go, but lack the time investment that is required of a superior or better than average player. They don't care if they lose, and they may pop the better player every so often. Always good to have a few of these guys involved in a game, as they typically make things a little interesting.

Gimmies: These are the guys that everybody else runs around the screen shouting "Gimmie! I want to kill that guy 100 times!" and they typically will. The word "newbie" would apply to this catagory. Or, if the player has been playing for a while and still is this bad, then a more appropriate description would be, "Sissy la-la girlie loser" or something to that effect.

There you have it. Use these descriptions as you will fellows of the XBAF.

Englishguy
04-16-2002, 12:00 AM
Forgot to add, I got a "KILLTASTIC!" once, about ****ed my pants when I heard that. Funny as hell after you blast 7 guys at once.

Yolo
04-16-2002, 11:54 AM
LOL Thank you Englishguy, love your ideas. Especially Cartman & Neckties. :D

jumper
04-16-2002, 09:42 PM
Englishguy, first let me say that if you are not already a copy writer/writer, you should look into it. Your definitions are very entertaining.

Originally posted by Englishguy
[B]

Let us begin with the best player type:

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (D.R. Scoundrels): These are the fellas that just play way too much. The Doctors of Halo. They are surgical in their play. I'm talking about the dude that falls asleep at the conrols of Halo, wakes up in the morning with the control still in his hands, wipes the drool off his chin, and resumes play. They are typically so good, that it is difficult for a lesser player to have any fun playing against them, unless they are drunk, high, or otherwise inebriated.

I love this one. The description is accurate except you missed the Doogie Howsers who just stumble into greatness. They don't spend all day and night playing but they are DRs. just the same. These guys know more than just how to use the controller. They know strategy, team work, maps, weapons and know where they are and what they are doing at all times. My vote is with English guy on this one. The best should be the DRs and spelled out...Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Not that I am one but I can hear "DR jumper" being paged right now.

Real Man: This type of player is just all around good. Frustrating for lesser players to play against, yet still competitive against the big boys. Doesn't quit either. Will stick it out even though he is losing to a superior player. Then, in the next game, on a level he knows (which is at least 75% of them), will work you like an bangkok hooker on a saturday night in a marines barracks. Knows what he's good at and exploits it when he can.

I like this one too. It emits an air of nasty, I've been rolling around in the combat zone, body odor. I see this level as a blink away from the DRs level but still could possibly carry a team to a win.

Cartmans: Think they are bad asses but in actuality are only moderately talented. This is a common breed of Halo player. They typically host rooms with names like "Come and get butt-raped," or the more generic, "Undefeated. Try us if you dare." Overall, Cartmans usually quit when they are getting whupped and complain of "too much lag" even though the pings are around 20. The Cartmans of this world are still better than the average player unfortunately simply because of the amount of time they put in.

I am not really familiar with the term Cartmans or where it would be used in another context but I like the definition. I especially like the part about thinking they are a better player than they are. Alot of player live here... and die here.

Neckties: The casual Halo gamers. They sit down to play on occasion and typically know the game, what to do, where to go, but lack the time investment that is required of a superior or better than average player. They don't care if they lose, and they may pop the better player every so often. Always good to have a few of these guys involved in a game, as they typically make things a little interesting.

This one is not high on my list. Especially with such creative names for the upper echelon. I think from this level down it is pretty much the same. (see comment on Gimmies)

Gimmies: These are the guys that everybody else runs around the screen shouting "Gimmie! I want to kill that guy 100 times!" and they typically will. The word "newbie" would apply to this catagory. Or, if the player has been playing for a while and still is this bad, then a more appropriate description would be, "Sissy la-la girlie loser" or something to that effect.

I have to stick with "Spirit Meter Feeder". It is less common, and more accurate to the affect they have in a game. There is an exception to this rule when you hit DRs status. You are more likely to view these players as a Speed Bump. You know that Speed Bumps need to play sometimes to get better or to keep things even, but they just slow you down. You would rather avoid them or not waste ammo on them because they can't do any damage. The only time you do kill them is when they are in your way and could potentially slow you down. A quick kill is faster than taking a different route. Given the choice though, you would pick the faster, more challanging player to combat and leave this one for someone else to run over.

And there you have it.