PDA

View Full Version : Japan really the centre of the gaming universe

CoMATOSE
03-27-2002, 06:45 PM
since time began (well at least since xbox began) theres been all this GOTTA DO WELL IN JAPAN NO WHERE ELSE MATTERS and this is beginning 2 reeally bug me, yes the japanese market is important but so is europe and america. what i feel is wrong is that japan is so important 2 the gaming world, true games r BIG in japan but what games do they play?... oh right dating games and RPGS......they r so different from the rest of the world and this is one of the biggest draws of the xbox, its catering for the rest of the world first. as Most people will agree, i believe that halo kicks major bottom but unbelievably it wont even come out in japan instead they will get "POKEGURL gotta date um all!" JSRF is shunned in japan and why??? because it is 2 americany...
OK so alot of fine developers r bred in japan but theres some western ones 2 peter molyneux anyone? in fact the best japanese ones r the the ones imbracing the westurn gaming world Yuji Naka lives in america now and the style of games is representing this Yu Suzuki even said he perferes ideas of games and the way its headin in the westurn world.
looking at the top games selling at the moment i see mgs....halo.....gta3....max payne.........only one of these will come out in japan while the rest ar smash hits everywhere around the world except japan

now i not saying we should burn the japy scum or anything messy like that in reality alot of fine games come from japan, but a lot of fine games come from the rest of the world, i want my xbox to be suited to my needs not some1 elses, lets face it xbox will fail in japan but i don't care because it will survive and give me exactly what i want and not weird japanese games with a little of what i want.......

LynxFX
03-27-2002, 08:19 PM
Well besides all of the unnecessary derogatory Japanese comments I agree.

My living room is the center of the gaming universe for me. As long as I like the games coming out, I'll buy them and be happy. What everyone else likes or dislikes I could care less.

JohnB
03-28-2002, 12:28 AM
hm, comatose deserves more responses..
I haven't really thought of that about Japan; that was well put. It's like... why must the success of games and consoles depend on the Japanese? Why are their opinions on Xbox games more important than other countries? Their culture is entirely different. That's pretty much why I don't care how well the Xbox does in Japan. No disrespect to the Japanese, but they just don't seem to give credit where credit is due. They have a grudge against American electronics so I have a gudge against them.

Afro Aura
03-28-2002, 06:00 AM
Well guy at least we have the best developors for games and thats SEGA they make some fanatasic game and Im so happy there have taken the XBOX under there wing

Just waiting for the rebirth of the Sega classics:D

baggachipz
03-28-2002, 11:42 AM
I wish I could have placed a bet on Japan hating the xbox! I knew it was coming. Easy to say now, I know. But, let's face it, they would never have given the xbox a fair chance. I think that when they heard an american company was making a game console, they said "are you kidding me"... and when that whole debacle about scratched game disks came about, the xbox was doomed to become a niche market machine in Japan. I'm no cultural expert, but it seems to me that they believe vehemently in their manufacturing and engineering prowess. Hell, they practically put american auto manufacturers out of business not too long ago, and still continue to sell a superior car in terms of reliability.

But, in this case I think that we the USA have built a superior gaming machine, through and through. I'll never buy an american car, but I sure do love my xbox! However, it seems the Japanese are turned off by whatever we produce. To that, I say: their loss. Who cares if the xbox doesn't sell so well over there? I can see it dominating North America and Europe, and that's good enough for me. It seems that all the effort that would need to be put forth to sell to the Japanese doesn't cover the revenue MS would bring in. They didn't have to change their game lineup or redesign the controller for release anywhere else!

Wow, I'm full of opinions today...

OppiumNitrates
03-28-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by baggachipz
I'll never buy an american car,

Now im not the guy to promote everything america makes and alwasy buy american made but i hve a ford explorer and it has over 200,000 miles and stills runs great. and i also just got into an accident and the machine is a beast u get hit in a jananese car with a ford truck and u really will have a compact,

as for the x-box part of the discussion i totaly agree, it really all sums up to this, "you cant be the best at everything" and sometimes it seems that they really think that they are the best at everything

And y do they need a redesigned controller??? did we get an american exclusive controller for the PS2??

baggachipz
03-28-2002, 12:07 PM
Did you get in a wreck because your Firestones blew out?;)

LynxFX
03-28-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by baggachipz
Did you get in a wreck because your Firestones blew out?;)

Ok off topic for a sec. :)

Not here to defend Firestone or Ford but did you know that it wasn't the tires blowing that caused those accidents? Yes it was faulty tire pressure that caused the tires to blow which was the fault of Firestone and Ford but it was the people driving that freaked out when they heard a noise and over corrected. I think it was Car and Driver that did some tests for Speed Vision television. Anyway, they took an Explorer and rigged one of the tires so that it would deflate all of the air at once simulating a blow out and they would use a stunt driver to see how it handles at various speeds. Needless to say the whole test was pretty eventless. By the last one they were going 70 mph and the driver didn't even put his hands on the wheel the whole time. The tire was deflated and the car kept going straight as an arrow. He applied the brakes and came to a safe stop.

So for all of those out there that might be in a blow out (I have been in a car that did) just remember to hold the wheel steady and not do any jerky movements.

Ok back on topic. I still don't care if the Japanese like the Xbox. :)